PDA

View Full Version : Hana Yori Dango

Scortia
07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Anyone else a huge fan of this series?... how about Doumyoji's hair in the early volumes?! ^o^ Anyway, shout out some praises... the anime was amazing too... it has the greatest reply value of all of my tapes. And even though I've watched them practically a dozen times, I still watch them with full attention. Favorite characters? It's difficult to not like the F4... Doumyoji Tsukasa is my absolute favorite... if not my favorite character of any series. Though it's not groundbreaking, it's still very sincere and endearing... I practically cry looking at the manga or the anime and I usually hate mushy stuff. ^_^ Well, manga series is practically over now... I hope Tsukushi and Tsukasa end up happily together after all the hell they've endured. :P

king
08-16-2003, 02:18 PM
I'm so excited about that!! I bought the first volume at Otakon, and almost flipped out when I saw it. I've seen the entire anime series and I can't wait to own the entire manga series. It's so long, but it will be so worth it *_* This series is such a good series, mostly because Tsukushi is so different from all the other main shoujo leading ladies. She's so cool. I recommend this manga to any shoujo fan, and even some non-shoujo fans, mostly because the character development is incredible!

:bigtu: w00t w00t

Scortia
08-16-2003, 02:25 PM
I was surprised when I took an interest in Marmalade Boy but when I saw Hanadan, interest became obsession. *_* It's so wonderful. ;_; I just ordered most of the manga used and I can't wait for them to get here... I've got volume 21 already *score! took Makino long enough to be the person to start the kiss ^.^* and it is so amazing how much the style has matured... early volumes... barf.. icky... by volume 21 its gorgeous, and the current volumes are even more beautiful than that! Now the art is just too stunning... I sincerely hope she makes another art book with the recent art. ^.^

king
08-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I like it when you can see the development of an artist's style. It was the same for the author of Aa! Megami-sama, if you look at the first issues it's kinda ugly, but it developed wonderfully and the artwork is absolutely incredible. I was going go to buy the Japanese volumes, but now that it's been licensed, I'm willing to wait for it to be released in the United States. The series is so wonderful, and I like how the characters grow during each volume and you can see Tsukasa's and Tsukushi's relationship develop into so much more. Great series!! ^.^

Odin
08-19-2003, 08:46 PM
I've seen all of the anime, which I plan to snatch up when the DVDs come out in the U.S. Just a couple days ago I saw the first volume of HYD at a local bookstore and flipped through it . . . I don't know if I really want to get into another manga series. I didn't like the artwork that I saw (I thought that Doumyoji looked horrible), and from what I gathered flipping through the book it's pretty close the events in the show (though I'm sure there are differences).

Is there a particular moment in the manga series where the show and the manga stray pretty far away form each other?
-Odin

king
08-19-2003, 10:25 PM
The artwork improves a lot as the series progresses, and I was rather turned off by the artwork at first also. But it does get better, like I said before, but definitely get the manga. There is a lot of stuff that goes on in it, a lot more shoujo goodness, not only that, but really cool subplots moving along also. ^_^

zoinomiko
08-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Doumyouji's hair gets better pretty quickly... it goes from those-are-so-not-dreads curly to the same style as the anime by the third or fourth volume.

The plot starts getting different from the anime around volume 8 or 9(?) I know it's different by 11, because that's the volume with the beauty contest. :3 And there was some stuff before that, too. ^^

On a similar note, is anyone else watching Meteor Garden? *has only seen the first episode, wants more* Because if anything is sillier than Tsukasa's hair in volume 1, it's that same hair in real life: http://meteor-garden.television-series.com/images/photo/official/2.jpg

Sexy! :D

Scortia
08-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Yep, volume four is where his hair first loses those nasty Shirly Temple-ish dreadlocks. ~_~;; Aside from a few cut storylines, it does coincide with the anime until it gets to the Shigure arc... then it change significantly... I think that arc is in the early teens and there are 34 volumes now and still climbing. SO, if you ever want to see Tsukushi and Tsukasa having cute volumes where they go on dates and see more amazing development from Tsukasa (<3 Tsukasa), definitely keep watching... the art is just gorgeous by volume 17 or so anyway.

king
08-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Meteor Garden, I need to find that show subtitled or something, because I don't know Mandarin, and I really really want to watch that show. Curses! Zoinomiko, did you get yours subtitled or did you watch it raw?

zoinomiko
08-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Meteor Garden, I need to find that show subtitled or something, because I don't know Mandarin, and I really really want to watch that show. Curses! Zoinomiko, did you get yours subtitled or did you watch it raw?

I've only got the first and third episodes on my computer, but they're subbed... all the episodes are sporadically available by BitTorrent, and the official Mandarin release is region free and has English subs (available through yesasia.com) I just ordered mine. :3 Of course, I have no idea how good the subs are. :untrust:

I can send you the episodes I have, if you want. I'm ZoiNoMiko on AIM, 55451744 (nick=Carebear) on ICQ.

king
08-21-2003, 11:38 AM
mm, I think I will IM you. ^_^ yesasia.com owns it, too bad I'm dirt poor right now. Very very uncool. :waaaah: But yeah, once I get a job and everything, I will probably mosey over to yesasia.com, I just want to watch that series so bad. :thumbsup:

king
08-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Hey Zoinomiko, thanks so much for the first episode of Meteor Garden. I was wondering if you could please give me the link to the bittorrent site that has it, I'm willing to wait for the downloads >.< The first episode was so much like HYD it made me so happy, little differences, but I don't mind. ^_^; Anywho, thanks!

Scortia
08-30-2003, 01:22 PM
I know Hanadan has been liscensed already, but does anyone have the scanlations?! It's nuts, they just went for FORTY dollars on eBay. I'm just desperate because I own most of the volumes but I don't know what the hell is going on... and I have not yet found a thorough translation online either. ... and I can't wait for them to get through all the volumes.... too long! ;_;

king
08-30-2003, 11:43 PM
It is definitely too long of a wait. I got the first translated volume at Otakon, which was in August. Then I read the paper from Viz and the next volume isn't coming out till October. I'm going to die ;_;

Usagi Mylene
08-31-2003, 12:02 AM
I have all of Meteor Garden subbed if you guys wants them. They were taped off TV in taiwan and then someone put them online and I download them.

I have the first 3 of Meteor Gareden 2 as well. They're showing this series on TV in SF but it's not subbed in english. =(