PDA

View Full Version : Yaky vs. Tokokalon extensions

Ringo
07-19-2003, 12:10 AM
I was out extension shopping today and I have a couple questions.

Is there a difference between Yaky and Toyokalon fibers? Is one a nicer quality or is quality based more on price. I do want to get the better quality, but is there really a difference between the $0.99 and the $4 packages? I would assume there is but I thought I would ask, it gets a little confusing when you know next to nothing about wig fibers. XD

Koumori
07-19-2003, 09:12 AM
I think Toyokalon/Kanekalon is a little better quality in that it acts more like human hair. It's more heat-resistant and easier to style and brush. But if you just want plain loose extensions, either should work for you.

chesh
07-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Toyokalon is pretty high-quality fiber. It's more shiny and less kinky than yaky fiber. It's ideal for loose straight or wavy extensions (where it's just floating around like normal hair) or for wig-making. It brushes well, doesn't tangle too much, looks good, and won't break constantly.

In my experience, yaky fiber doesn't brush well, kinks, breaks, tangles like mad, and shouldn't really be worn loose. It's good for braiding and great for dreading.

It all depends on what you want to use if for. And, of course, if you're only planning on putting extensions in for one day for a costume (then taking them out), yaky shouldn't be too much of a problem, as you probably won't need to brush it.

Ringo
07-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks! I figure one was probably better and it sounds like the Toyakalon is what I'm looking for. ^_^ I'll have to try some of the marker coloring on my extra. I was all for spending $1 on extension though. XD

megumibish
07-19-2003, 04:55 PM
i was beat to the punch...anyhooz yaki is a cheaper wannabe. it's used more for throwaway extensions in black hair styles. toyokalon is way nicer. that and marker coloring does work.. i'm currently working to turn a really pastelish blue to a aqua. and i found those new colored sharpies in a bigger chisel tip for only a 1.59 each. huzzah~