PDA

View Full Version : I want a kilt

TheBrainUM
07-20-2003, 02:55 PM
I want a kilt, like a regal nice scottish kilt. Not an Irish Kilt, but a scottish one. Usually you have a really nice shirt and a gold or silver buckle on your shoulder. Anyone know where I can get one? I think it will cost a fortune though since it is essentially a suit.

BayushiKachiko
07-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Kilts are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY expensive, more so if you get a traditional clan tartan, which most people want to do... Like about a $300 MINIMUM. A good place to do some research for it, especially if you're into medieval history and stuff, would be to get in touch with your area's SCA (society for Creative Anachronisms) group. I'm sure some of the members would be knowledgable about kilts and where to get the pins, the name of which I do not recall, and could tell you the proper way to construct and wear one, since a kilt is pretty much just a long length of cloth.

Koumori
07-20-2003, 06:13 PM
As Anya said, a lot of the cost is for the fabric, assuming you want a good quality, traditional kilt. The tailoring can be tricky too, matching all of the setts, etc. - so I don't think they are "too expensive" at all, but fairly priced for the amount of work and fabric that goes into them!

Folkwear's kilt pattern also includes a Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket and vest to help complete the modern formal ensemble.

archangeli
07-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what's an Irish kilt?

Is it like the ones that schoolgirls wear (wraparound with a belt buckle in each side)?

eeyore
07-21-2003, 12:13 AM
A great kilt is 9 yards, a regular kilt is about 6 yards. There isn't much difference between Scottish and Irish kilts, other than the tartans. Scots' tartans tend to be by name, ie Stewart, whereas Irish go by county, ie Galway. Then there are special tartans, like one for Princess Diana, I believe there is even one made for New York. You can always go with the basic blackwatch plaid.

Kilt can be expensive, but there are ways around it. My hubby sold his kilt last year for $150, so maybe check ebay or ask around SCA or such. Find some renaissance forums and keep an eye on those. (Hubby sold his that way.) You can order kilts from places like www.scottishlion.com. www.renstore.com also has a couple that are cheaper, but they won't be as nice a quality. You can go to a ren faire and find a kilt, too.

Then... you can either get 6-9 yards of fabric and pleat them yourself before wearing. I can find a website that will give you instructions on how to do that, or you can get them with the pleats sewn in already. Brooches can be found a lot of places. Scottish lion link above has them, but any Scottish or Irish place will usually carry them. A search will bring up tons.

Do you want the modern version or the ren faire version? In any case, request the Scottish Lion's highland wear catalog so you can see all the options better.

And sorry if this is long winded! :-)

Arch_Angel_Mika
07-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Well, if you lived close to Lincoln county in Tennessee, I would refer you to my grandmother. I do medieval reinactment with the SCA (Society of Creative Anachronism). Basically, whenever you go to a Renaissance Festival, I would be one of the actors. But, if you did live near her she usually lets her Kilts go for about $70 - $80 bucks a pop. And she does a damn good job.She can even do the buckle into a celtic mold. She's really anal about being authentic. I'm thinking about posting my Ren. costuymes on here, so when I do, you'll be able to see her work. But, I don't know what else to refer to except ebay. People specially make things like that on there.

KIL78
07-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Wow lot of scadians here
If you want a historical great kilt just get a length of any tartan (read plaid) fabric as tartan itself was not invented until the 19th century 6-12 yards is enough (depending on your size) just make sure that it is at least 70-90 inches wide.

As for a small kilt you are looking at around 350 to 500 dollars

Karisu-sama
08-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Just out of interest: "clan tartan" assignment is a relatively recent thing; historically this assignment didn't exist, and people wore any tartan pattern that appealed to them. No, you couldn't tell "friend" from "foe" just by looking at their tartan!

lainey
08-05-2003, 09:28 PM
i have a high school kilt O_o

neekabe
08-06-2003, 11:58 AM
If you're not pickey about what tartan you want, try going to any local Highland dancing compititions. Sounds strange, I know, but usually there are people there trying to sell old kilts, or if you ask around the dancers you might be able to get some hints as to where to go. I got mind for $350 and that included vest and socks (I used to dance)

Theyr'e expensive, but have to admit, wonderfully fun to wear ^_^ Having like... 3.5 lbs of fabric in them make them move really well

Kitzune
08-06-2003, 01:23 PM
I got a kilt made for my clan name and it cost me at least $450.but if you like i have a plaid "kilt'' that I wore going to a catholic school. I could sell it to you I dont use it any more, and it was too big for me any way so it was only worn twice.

Serria
08-07-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm going to scotland in a few days! ^__^ I know kilts are for boys, but I'd love to own one... heh, well, they *are* really expensive. But man, do guys look cute in them! ;)

Koumori
08-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Serria
I'm going to scotland in a few days! ^__^ I know kilts are for boys, but I'd love to own one... heh, well, they *are* really expensive. But man, do guys look cute in them! ;)

The equivalent for women, worn pretty much exclusively at formal events, is the kilted skirt, usually worn with a plain blouse and matching scarf. Any kilt maker should be able to make one for you.

Gren
08-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah, price has always been the thing that's stopped me from kilt ownership. If I'm going to drop a few hundred on a kilt, it's going to be the black leather one from Utilitykilts.com Now THAT seems worth the pricetag. XD

BattousaiHimura
08-12-2003, 02:43 AM
The magic word: EBAY !!

I bought my kilt there because there are always kilts of different clans so i suppose the best way would be looking for kilts on ebay. And even if it wasn't the cheapest way it would be the first I thought of.

Good luck ^^

Miaka

KoF98Mai
08-16-2003, 05:46 AM
WWW.utilikilt.com A kilt for todays men! ^^ (in many trendy patterns and styles!)