PDA

View Full Version : Making your own!?!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-21-2003, 12:53 AM
I KNOW there's a way to do it! Does anyone know how and can tell how in detail. I wanna make my wig because as i search and search, i find none that resembles Fuuma's hair. I would commision one from Katie, but i'm kinda waiting till i do something bigger...(like whenever i do Alisha ClanClan) This would actually be a BIG help if anyone knows how.

Sarcasm-hime
07-21-2003, 01:37 AM
Aisha hair actually isn't that hard; for my Aisha wig I just bought a blonde wig and cut it into the right style, then attached a long swatch of hair for the braid.

As for making your own wig, it involves a LOT of really tedious, time-consuming knotting. Basically you have to knot little sections of hair into the wig base, one by one.

Cocoa
07-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Fuuma's hair looks like you'd have to attack whatever you're using with some gel or mousse or styling glue or whatever to get it to be spikey like his is. I think our Fuuma, who's using her own hair, is going the gel route. (Just checking, but we are talking X/1999 Fuuma here, right?)

I can't really help with recommendations for something that lengh, black, and that will spike well, as I'm not really much of a wig user, but someone else here might.

Koumori
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Are you talking about making an actual wig from scratch, or about taking a wig and modifying/styling it?

Gren
07-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Well, for my Sora wig, I'm using hair I wefted. It's less time cosuming than knotting, but can be fickle to work with. You can find a few guides to it online. They're sort of tricky to track down, but I think it does need visuals.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-22-2003, 12:38 AM
Yes, i'm talking about Fuuma from X/1999! And yes, a wig from scratch.

Attack my hair with gel....hmm.......I'd rather not use my own hair! lol. Mainly because of the quick change from Fuuma to Yoh (Shaman King) and the hair is just way to different.

RyuichiNG
08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
I made my own Mana wig for Baaf this year. It's the Baroque mana wig and I had to buy TONS of hair extensions and "rope twist" them into individual pieces. I took a wig cap and safety pinnes on the locks until I was satissfied with the way it looked. I then sewed each piece on so that it was perminent. n.n

megumibish
08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
You can buy black hair in tracks aka weft in 1 to 2 inches in length for a good price and then handsew the tracks into the wig cap...if you use a lot of weft then all you need to do is ruffle the top with some hairspray for the spikey all over look...for the bangs you can get longer sections of weft for that. sew them in a way that will conceal the weft base and style that of course.. it's a bit tedious but all too possible. I've seen the wefts in a few black beauty books. they come flipped so you can alternate the rows for natural unruly spikes. good luck. by chance you wouldn't happen to know a place that just sells the mesh cap now would you. mail ordering it would be nice.

Gren
08-07-2003, 06:58 PM
I'd also love to know where I can just buy the foundation for nice and cheap. They're annoying to make.

Wefting hair yourself really isn't dificult, just time consuming. I wefted all the hair for my Sora wig (old pic in my gallery. completed pic will probably be up in a few days, when I finish all the styling and such. I hate waiting for hairspray to dry.) and sewed it onto the wig by hand. Took a long time, but as I got used to things, I got faster and faster. Luckily, the next wig I make isn't going to have such a tricky style (damn spikes!!)

megumibish
08-07-2003, 07:07 PM
I really need to find one of those black beauty mags...they have places that you can mail order such things...I'm just too lazy to search...ehheh...I see about looking into those now...

Ceres86
08-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Like the above people have said, first you need weft hair (aka tracks), wig base cap(they come cheap) or a wig stocking cap, needle and thread OR bonding glue, and a styrofoam head preferablly the size of your head.

There are several methods to do this so listen carefully cuz it might sound a bit confusing. if you are going to glue the hair to the stocking cap , place the cap onto the styrofoam head. You might want to put sumthing glue resistant underneath so the cap doesnt stick to the head. With the weft hair you glue them horizontally like as in layers starting from the bottom at the neckline. If you are going to use the sewing method, i sugest you use a wig base cap (it is like a netting) and use the same method as gluing cept you just sew. from theere you need to cut and style your wig as desired. Be warned, some things dont come cheap...like the human hair weft. I recoment using human hair, while synthetic is cheaper, it gets damaged and tangled more faster.

You can get all these including mesh cap and the beauty magazines in an african american beauty supply store. Unfortunately i dont want to go into this further, it takes too much of my time sorri...

Tainted Donut
08-10-2003, 04:56 AM
i dont know how to, but im guessing that would be a hard thing to do.

Gren
08-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Sweet. I need to find an ethnic beauty shop.... must... buy wig base.... making... so... boring...

HowilnMadMurphy
08-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Dude. This is so much work! Just cut and style a damn wig, it'd be so much easier and probably cheaper too 0_0
Fuuma's (X, I'm guessing, right?) hair isn't THAT difficult! You could probably ease the styling by buying one of those scary "punk" or "tina turner" wigs and style that so it's not so scary anymore. His hair isn't solid spikes like Sora, it's all piecey... I think that would work well.

Gren
08-10-2003, 05:43 PM
I honestly don't think I could have gotten such good results with my Sora wig if I had used a store purchased one. And then there are strange wigs, like the Seymour Guado wig I plan to do. I need all the hair to match (Not just vaguely similar extensions on his protruding sections) and there is NO wig that comes in that style. The Sora and Riku Wigs are pretty much practice for when I make that one.

HowilnMadMurphy
08-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree with you there Gren. Sora's hair is all sculpted, and normal wigs probably wouldn't be thick enough to accomodate them. But Fuuma's hair, like I said, is all fringey and whatnot. A normal, already made wig, would serve it well, I think.
http://www.perryandtsua.com/X/Fuuma.JPG

Gren
08-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Ohhhh. Yeah, that style I'd probably look into cutting out of an already made wig.

katrinastrife
09-07-2003, 10:09 PM
http://ragdolly.net/wigs.html

What about the "Rocker" wig shown here? wouldn't that work?

Anyway, question for Gren... would that method of spiking hair work for pigtails? I'm planning on trying to make Etna's costume from Digaea: hour of darkness, and she has spikey pigtails... just wondering what your thoughts were on that! Thanks!

--> Pic here! http://www.atlus.com/dis/downloads/Etna.jpg

Gren
09-07-2003, 10:31 PM
It should, but be forewarned, horzontal spikes are much harder to hold up than vertical ones. Give them a nice, thich application of the hair cement to their center, and you could even experiament with putting wire in their to help them hold their position. Go for thin, floral type wire, with multiple peices in one pigtail if need be.