PDA

View Full Version : Original Cosplay?

Dragonsfire867
01-04-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm planning on going to AN '09, and I'm wondering- would it be acceptable to cosplay an original character from a novel-in-progress? The costume is incredibly elaborate (feathers, belts, jewelry, lots of silver and gold cloth, unusual hair and eyes, etc). It even has an ellipse-like halo on its back. And it's got an anime look to it.
I'm just not sure if it's something that would be appropriate...considering that practically everyone else is either cosplaying manga/anime characters, or doing j-rock/visual kei stuff.
Any comments???? :\

Kazephyr
01-04-2009, 09:13 AM
It's perfectly acceptable. ^^ You can cosplay whatever you like (provided you're not indecent, offensive, etc.).

Mind you, you most likely won't be allowed in contests, and you'll probably get less attention. You also might get asked "Who are you supposed to be?" a few times, but that happens with anime/manga/game cosplays, too. ^^;;

I say your costume sounds awesome. ^^ Good luck! ^^

lokichaos06
01-04-2009, 10:23 AM
go ahead..cosplay you're original char..XD it wont hurt..I cosplayed my original Gothic lolita *male*...and it worked fine..XP

Rhapsodey
01-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I frankly don't see what's wrong with it. It's all about what you want to do. Kaze is right, though. You will, not might, get asked who you are suppose to be, but it's not big deal all-n-all. Good luck with that costume, though. It sounds amazing!

~FatalDreams~
01-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I LOVE it when cosplayers dress as ornate original characters. I personally think it makes them stand out more. Sure they can't enter into contests, but eh....to me if the costume is beautiful and ornate (and yours sounds like it is), then I love it. DEFIANTLY do it!

On a random note, I did my Lifestream Goddess one at Otakon and people loved it, even though it was an original character. Kids liked it to for some reason...XD

lokichaos06
01-05-2009, 02:22 AM
well they're both right..and you should be proud of being able to cosplay your original character..=D just shows how creative you are

Schuldig_
01-05-2009, 05:09 AM
The perks of cosplaying original or unknown characters, to me, is that while not that many people know you, you have a perfectly good excuse to tell the people who do ask you all about that character and why you think s/he is so awesome. :)

Dragonsfire867
01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks, everyone! ^_^ I really appreciate the support. Onto original-costume-making! =D