PDA

View Full Version : Article with advice for Megacon

dreadpiraterose
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Here's an article about Megacon, which includes a lot of info and some advice from someone who's attended many times (a.k.a. ME): http://conventionfans.today.com/2009/01/08/convention-profile-megacon-2009/

If you're attending, I would love to hear everyone's feedback since I no longer live in Florida and can't attend myself.

Prota-Girl
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Hmmm. VEry interesting. I'll see about getting my tickets now, then. *nods* Thanks for sharing. :)

Pantsu_chan
01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Yes, definitely pre-reg for Mega. You do NOT want to stand in line for tickets.

dreadpiraterose
01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Yes, definitely pre-reg for Mega. You do NOT want to stand in line for tickets.

Heh. Had a bad experience yourself? ;)

NeonBunnyGirl
02-19-2009, 03:19 AM
Megacon last year was my first convention ever, i was in line for alittle over an hour waiting to buy my ticket, thank gosh i got there when i did, cuz the line got longer and longer!..

T^T this year i didnt think i was gonna be going [cuz i moved out of florida] but i'll be in town for megacon ^^ so me and my bf are going.. T^T yay standing in the long lines...
though i still gotta find a last minute inexpensive costume that works for being 7 1/2months preggers. wish me luck!! x.X

SunakoChan
02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Definitely be there early if you didn't pre-reg and also try to pack your own food. I did last year and my little group was fine with sitting around and eating our sandwiches. I'd rather do that than to go to the nearby McDonald's down the road and have to walk that far or to re-park. It saves you $$$

Juego
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
If you are driving down for Saturday, get there early, even if you are pre-reg. Traffic to the Convention Center is pretty horrible on a GOOD day, it's even worse during Megacon due to short lights and a poor exit system. It becomes GRIDLOCK once you take the I4 exit to the 528 -- if it is after 9am and you are on I4, you *will* be in traffic.

I spent 2 hrs in traffic (I live 25 min away) and 2hrs in line my first year because I did not leave early enough and did not pre-reg. Don't make my mistake.

Anohmolee
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I-Drive is horrendous. Like Juego says, it's literally a gridlock. If you can walk to the convention center from your hotel, it's very convenient. We're staying at the Day's Inn, which in only .02 miles away from it. And the price for two nights was the price of one at the Double Tree.

I've always pre-reg'd, but I just called one of my friends who's staying with us to remind her. It ends on Friday, so if you haven't done it yet, you probably should. Standing in line for a few minutes beats a few hours.

As far as food goes, it's always good to pack, but I've never really had a way to carry it. The first year of Otakucon, we had MREs. I was surprised how good they were. But this year, I'm too lazy to pack/make food, so I'm just going to have to pay eight dollars for a hot dog. Or we'll end up going to the Denny's across the street. If you have extra money to spend, there's an excellent Japanese restaurant/sushi bar called Rangetsu down the street. It's pricey, but incredibly good, and they have taiko drum shows on the weekends.

nessabutterfly
02-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Megacon last year was my first convention ever, i was in line for alittle over an hour waiting to buy my ticket, thank gosh i got there when i did, cuz the line got longer and longer!..

T^T this year i didnt think i was gonna be going [cuz i moved out of florida] but i'll be in town for megacon ^^ so me and my bf are going.. T^T yay standing in the long lines...
though i still gotta find a last minute inexpensive costume that works for being 7 1/2months preggers. wish me luck!! x.X

Could always go the Padme route like me-- though I don't know that it qualifies as either last minute or inexpensive (even though mine will be last minute-- still haven't started cutting my fabric!!)

Yay for another preggo out there (i'll be 7 months even at the con)

dreadpiraterose
02-19-2009, 08:14 PM
I-Drive is horrendous. Like Juego says, it's literally a gridlock. If you can walk to the convention center from your hotel, it's very convenient. We're staying at the Day's Inn, which in only .02 miles away from it. And the price for two nights was the price of one at the Double Tree.

I've always pre-reg'd, but I just called one of my friends who's staying with us to remind her. It ends on Friday, so if you haven't done it yet, you probably should. Standing in line for a few minutes beats a few hours.

As far as food goes, it's always good to pack, but I've never really had a way to carry it. The first year of Otakucon, we had MREs. I was surprised how good they were. But this year, I'm too lazy to pack/make food, so I'm just going to have to pay eight dollars for a hot dog. Or we'll end up going to the Denny's across the street. If you have extra money to spend, there's an excellent Japanese restaurant/sushi bar called Rangetsu down the street. It's pricey, but incredibly good, and they have taiko drum shows on the weekends.

There's definitely food near by, but it can be a walk and it can still be decently warm at that time of year... and it ain't cheap.

Anohmolee
02-19-2009, 11:44 PM
There's definitely food near by, but it can be a walk and it can still be decently warm at that time of year... and it ain't cheap.

It's actually been really nice outside lately; I'm hoping it'll stay that way, at least until next week. If I recall, it was rather cold last year. And of course it's not cheap, it's on International Drive. But, like I said, if you have extra money, and don't feel like walking, there's no shortage of good food outside of the convention center.

EXsoldierSNAKE
02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
How is traffic usually on Sunday when the con is about over? I think we're going to try and leave around 3 since it ends at 5 just to try and get home easier.

Nooby Banana
02-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Ok, my group isn't able to leave for Megacon until classes end on Friday, which is at 3:30. (My college is really intense about attendance. Sucks that we can't leave till then...) And I'm in Sarasota so that'll put us in Orlando around 6-ish. But yeah, I was wondering if the ticket line will still be bad around then?

SunakoChan
02-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Ok, my group isn't able to leave for Megacon until classes end on Friday, which is at 3:30. (My college is really intense about attendance. Sucks that we can't leave till then...) And I'm in Sarasota so that'll put us in Orlando around 6-ish. But yeah, I was wondering if the ticket line will still be bad around then?

If I remember correctly, last year the line was long almost all day.

Cheebes
02-20-2009, 03:33 PM
@Spirit Pup:I didn't have a problem friday of last year, and I got there at about 4pm.