PDA

View Full Version : Ummmm...Screw Manga Entertainment

Studmaster
09-26-2002, 05:45 PM
Ah yes, Manga Entertainment. The now official jackshits of the R1 Anime Distribution Industry. For over 3 years Manga has seemingly messed up many of its major releases in one way or another. Whether it'd be Hardsubs, very horrible video quality, Dubtitles or defective discs. Manga has seemingly made a business or being a bad business.

However, Manga has finally done it. On one of their biggest and most anticpated releases EVER, they have dropped the ball once again, and its a doozy.

Here are the highlights of what is wrong! (http://forums.animeondvd.com/dcforum/DCForumID5/581.html)

I personally can't beleieve this at all.

Oshi
09-26-2002, 05:55 PM
...Oh hell no. Good thing I learned this before buying it... yeesh...
It seems like it works on Sony players and computer drives (I use my laptop to watch DVDs)... but I'm not taking any chances for now...

saberX2
09-26-2002, 05:59 PM
I had a feeling there would be some problems with the EOE release. I'll still buy it anyway, as my current DVD player never had any problems with any Manga releases.

If the English dub was as bad as Death and Rebirth, i'll be sure to stay away from the English track. The dub was a disappointment, I thought. ADV should've picked up the rights.

I'll still pick up the disc, watch it and enjoy it. Hopefully i'll have no problems with the disc.

shiroi_yukiko
09-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Ah, I'm scared now! I just picked up my copy today, but I haven't tried to watch it yet (I got sidetracked... by X... I couldn't help it). Hmmm... I'd better go check it out...

Studmaster
09-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Tell us how it works.

Ayaka
09-26-2002, 10:13 PM
Grah . . . *feels like rampaging* Glad I haven't bought it yet, I wondered if there were going to be glitches . . . reminds me I still have to get Slayers and Lodoss traded in . . . >.<

shiroi_yukiko
09-27-2002, 12:59 AM
Well, it loaded... which I consider to be a really good thing! (I have to reload the first Cowboy Bebop disc about a thousand times before it decides to give in and play... I even traded it in and it still did that, so loading is always good.) I don't have time to watch it right now though, as it is 1pm (I finally decided to get up and check it). I may be back to rant depending on the outcome!

pakachu420
09-27-2002, 02:43 AM
hmmm....i havnt had any probs with manga releases. but then again my players a sony(PS2)

but with all those reported probs i am a little nervous about buying EOE but i'll still prob. buy it(i also, like to live dangerously)

Foxwolfe
09-27-2002, 04:39 AM
My player is also a PS2 and I have never had any problems playing any DVDs, including EOE which I bought a few days ago, and it played though just fine with no freezing or anything. I was quite suprised when hearing of this problem.

Cassandra
09-27-2002, 08:31 AM
Supposedly the disc only works in the Xbox and PS2 players. (Although there is some issue with the sound or something.)

peacecraft
09-27-2002, 11:30 AM
I've had my own issues with Manga Entertainment over the years, both when I ran my club and even now in my job. This issue is first for me though. What a crock...

Oshi
09-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Soo... only in game systems? Then there may be a chance of it working in a PC DVD player... I'll give it a try. By now, Manga must be working on a recall, so, yeah. I just really wanna see it @_@

John Booty
09-28-2002, 04:17 PM
I personally am not giving any more money to Manga Entertainment unless they fix this problem in a big way.

After being totally ripped off by the horrible problems with Wings Of Honneamise, I made that decision. Funny... I was going to break that decision by buying EoE until I heard of this problem.

If they don't fix this problem, I'd say just boycott them and watch fansubs. If you're worried about Gainax getting ripped off, by a Gainax title from another company or just mail them a damn check directly. Because Manga currently doesn't deserve your money, IMHO.

Notice that I said "IF". I actually have a hunch that this is one screw-up they won't be able to ignore because it's one of their biggest releases ever. Although there's still the issue of screwing customers over with their other releases...

And when I say "fix", I don't mean "fix this problem with future copies of the disc", I mean "offering replacements to all customers who were screwed over by defective discs in the first place".

John Booty
09-28-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by pakachu420
but with all those reported probs i am a little nervous about buying EOE but i'll still prob. buy it

What kind of message is that sending to Manga?

It tells them that they can put out crap with horrible quality and you'll buy it. Dude, what are you thinking? Your dollars DO make a difference to them... they are a business after all. Sometimes you need to vote with your money.

Ranma Saotome
09-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't ADV Films be releasing EOE?!

And Studamaster, you talk about bad anime fuckjobs? You forget about Central Park Madia aka US Manga Corps... Known as US Mangled Corpse.

Cassandra
09-28-2002, 10:36 PM
ADV said Gainax was asking too much money for D&R and EoE....so Manga picked it up instead.

saberX2
09-28-2002, 10:58 PM
..That was my question to the ADV panel at axny.
I was curious for an official answer from ADV.

At the way ADV commented on the question it really seemed like Gainax wanted an extreme amount of money for it. But if ADV thought it would hurt in the long run..what can you do..

I really hoped ADV would've gotten it though, the discs probably wouldn't have some of those problems, and it might of been released sooner I think.. Thats just my opinion..i've been really happy with ADV.

John Booty
09-28-2002, 11:11 PM
ADV didn't have the rights to the Evangelion movies. I'm sure they *wanted* them, after their success with the TV series, but apparently Manga outbid them.

Now, why did Manga go to the trouble of acquiring this expensive-ass license, and then do a half-assed job on the TV? It's just so dumb.

Karasu
09-29-2002, 03:05 AM
:hafha: Dammit. I was going to buy that too! Now I'm afraid it won't work.

I've heard that some Pioneer players are okay witht he disc. I think it's just the roll of the dice.

spacecosboy
09-29-2002, 05:28 AM
Stupid Manga I was gonna buy it for sure. Until I found out about this! I'm just going to wait and see if they do anything about it, if they don't I'll just watch my friends fansub.

I was just wondering. Did they have to make Death and Rebirth double sided? It seems like there would have been enough space for everything on one side.

Foxwolfe
09-29-2002, 06:29 AM
I guess I got lucky in the respect that I bought it before hearing about this, and that my player is a ps2, so I had no problems whatsoever with running it.

But I have to agree with the comment made on how if they went to the trouble of aquiring this expensive liscense, why half ass it like this, seems like a very stupid thing to do.

I also have to agree that I was far dissapointed with the quality of WoH after purchasing it.

Studmaster
09-29-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
ADV didn't have the rights to the Evangelion movies. I'm sure they *wanted* them, after their success with the TV series, but apparently Manga outbid them.

Now, why did Manga go to the trouble of acquiring this expensive-ass license, and then do a half-assed job on the TV? It's just so dumb.

Well, there is another story behind the End of Eva, ADV and Manga. It wasn't just a simple outbid.

At the time EoE was on the shopping table in 1998-99, it was one of the the most expensive properties being negoiated. (And in the eyes of Gainax can you really blame them? EVA was HOTTER than HELL last decade) ADV had two directions to go.

1) Buy the License to the Movie

2) Buy the license 10 Series' that roughly came up to the same price.

ADV at the time decided that those 10 Series' were worth it to them more than the movie so they went with that. However, Gainax got it's money when Manga swooped in and took the movie license.
--------

And yes, words can't describe how stupid it was for them to half ass this release. You would think Manga would know better than that on their biggest release in a LONG time.

shiroi_yukiko
09-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, if it's any consolation to anyone my EoE worked perfectly. No pauses, no freezing, nothing. It worked just like everything else does (still keeping in mind that its a Manga release, of course). *phew* I've been worrying all weekend too! (hmm... what is my DVD player... it's a Toshiba...)

Karasu
09-30-2002, 09:26 PM
Okay, okay! I broken down and bought it today. I was able to watch it in English and Japanese (on DD-EX), but that's all. On the others, there was either no sound or it played english when it was set to Japanese.

It worked on my JVC, but not my Phillps. So I was able to watch it! *happiness* :D

John Booty
09-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Karasu
It worked on my JVC, but not my Phillps. So I was able to watch it! *happiness* :D

I'm sure Manga was happy too... they know they can put out any old poorly-made piece of crap and they still have people like you who will buy it.

Why should they bother making DVD's of acceptable quality with people like YOU around?

*shakes head*

Cassandra
09-30-2002, 10:36 PM
Of course, it's looking more and more like it's an authoring problem....which wouldn't really be Manga's fault, it would be the authoring house. (Granted, Manga is still responsible since their name is on it, but it's not really THEIR fault.....except that they didn't Q/A it properly.)

It also looks like there were 2 authoring houses that made the DVDs. One batch works and one doesn't. One is a known crappy authoring house (WAMO) and one barely even makes a blip on the screen (Omega).

So, it just depends on the authoring house of the discs people are buying.

Cait
09-30-2002, 11:31 PM
Akane bought it?!?!?! Sweet!

Cassandra
10-02-2002, 05:21 PM
And from AnimeNewsNetwork:

Manga Entertainment has informed us that they will be issuing a press release shortly with details about their replacement program for the defective Eva DVDs. What we've been told so far is that only a limited batch of DVDs are defective, and that Manga will be shipping replacement DVDs to people who are not able to get them from their retailer

John Booty
10-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Well, that's good to hear!

In the meantime, I'll just wait here and sip my drink. And when I'm tired of holding my drink, I'll set it down on the Wings of Honneamise disc that I'm using as a coaster. ^_^

Karasu
10-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Original quote by: John Booty
I'm sure Manga was happy too... they know they can put out any old poorly-made piece of crap and they still have people like you who will buy it.

Why should they bother making DVD's of acceptable quality with people like YOU around?

*shakes head*

I think I should be insulted, but I just don't care.

Sakura
10-07-2002, 07:00 PM
I'm glad I'm learning about this before I buy the licensed dvd. Manga dvds haven't wronged me before but they sure did suck with the Rayearth dub.