PDA

View Full Version : Is comic-con worth the trip?

Makino Tsukushi
07-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Konnichiwa minasan, I was just looking into going to comic con, but I wanted to know if there was much anime-related things over there? Also is it once a month? Someone told me that. Arigato!!:cheers:

Crazy Bunta
07-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Comic-Con is for purchasing things, and less of a get together place. The most merchandise per convention by far. If you're into anime, there's plenty there.

I've been going for about 10 years now and it has to be the biggest anime/comic related convention in California. I would suggest it just to see the amazing 2 mile long line turnout!

AgentSakur9
07-23-2003, 01:44 AM
I tend to agree. The Comic Con is way too large to meet with people. Heck I ran into friends from several different circles. LOL.

Its the world's largest Popular Arts convention in the world. Nearly 60-70 thousand people attend. It's Amazing.

As far as purchasing stuff. I suppose. I haven't bought anything at the Con that I was in dire need of or that I couldn't find on the web. There are however lots of sneak peeks at the newest Anime and you can meet some of the seiyuu's as well. **grins**

My most treasured Comic Con Moment was meeting Rumiko Takahashi. KAKUII!!!!

Reno_kun
07-23-2003, 01:59 AM
comic con is once a year..and i go every year..

tydawgsd
07-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Its a lot of fun. Not as much anime as I would like. But there is so much other stuff going on it doesn't really matter.

Crazy Bunta
07-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by AgentSakur9

My most treasured Comic Con Moment was meeting Rumiko Takahashi. KAKUII!!!!

Yeah, I would have met Rumiko and gotten a sketch in my Rumiko art book, if it weren't for Trish LeDoux kicking me out of line after waiting 4 hours just for being a volunteer!!! I get to the front of the line and she says, "Oh, sorry, but volunteers aren't allowed a signature or sketch because you're not a paying customer".

I think I punched the walls of the convention that day until I had no skin left on my fists. Now, I think she tries to lie low because of all the people she's offended. The only day of my life I ever felt angry.

Ami Yuy
07-23-2003, 03:33 AM
Hai, lost of anime. But a LOT more people. XD Soooooo many! My computer teacher (he drove us down there), who's worked on several sci-fi shows, said that he saw more people that he knew than he could ever have imagined was possible for one day.

It was overwhelming...1/2 mile long Exhibit Hall filled with stuff and people. Not many cosplayers (a good number of nekos tho *meow*). Now, I'd say the question isn't if it's worth going, it's if you can afford to go. ^^;; The food alone is expensive and trying to buy stuff can break the bank of someone as poor as me quite fast. -_-

Makino Tsukushi
07-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Even more expensive than AX? SUGOI!!

FlameSniperRei
07-23-2003, 01:20 PM
Yeah sometimes they get WAY better guests than AX does. Like Naoko Takeuchi (Comic Con 98) and Rumiko Takahashi (Comic Con 01 or 02 I forget). I can't recall aX ever getting them and they're my favorite creators/artists!

It's not a big Anime con but if you like American pop culture and movies you'll find BIG stars there like this year they had Elijah Wood, Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie, and Hugh Jackman, and of course all the big comic book artist and creators like Stan Lee, Rob Liefield etc.

I had a lot more fun at Comic Con than at AX because I'm also a fan of American tv series and movies as well as an anime fan. AX this year didn't have any Japanese guests that I really cared about *shrug*.

Wolfgirl
07-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Get a hotel Driving is the pits. You spend more on parking then at the convention :P

But comic con was fun I go every year. I think it's more of a place for people promoting the new movies coming out new tv series etc. There was a lot more anime there this year.

My fav thing this year was meeting other cosplayers.

FlameSniperRei
07-23-2003, 03:55 PM
Oh yeah this isn't a big cosplaying con, most people who wear really good costumes are in the masqurade, and they arent allowed to wear their masq costumes prior to the masq. I would say less than 3% of the attendees at Comic con cosplay but at least those who DO cosplay you can hang out with and talk more to.

Jinx
07-25-2003, 09:48 PM
If you go, PREREGISTER. ALWAYS. If you don't, get up at 5am and get ready to wait in line all day! :P

and yeah, parking sucks. Either go EARLY (like 9am) to get a parking spot, or take a bus/shuttle something. Do NOT take this stuff lightly. ^-^;;

MPsy
07-26-2003, 01:26 AM
I agree on the parking and pre-reg thing. My friend and I got there around noon and the only place we found for parking cost us $40 and we had to wait in line for about a hour.

ChibiMoFo
07-26-2003, 02:33 AM
Ya there was nothing really anime related that you couldn't find at AX, all the major companies had the same booths. The smaller booths I saw most, it not all of them at AX.

They got alot of other cool stuff, even if u don't like american comic books. Theres LOTR stuff, SW stuff, other movie stuff, big name celebs, etc.

Parking really sux though, and the line was really long early in the day, but I went at like 2pm on thursday and I had no line at all.

Ami Yuy
07-26-2003, 02:35 AM
*nods* Parking was a nightmare! We were in the car for 2.5 hours when it should have only taken 1 or 1.5 to get there and park. In the end my boyfriend and I abandoned our driver (aka our school's computer teacher) because the stop-&-go traffic wasn't agreeing with our stomachs.

We didn't pre-register though and went in on Friday and only spent like 10-20 minutes getting our passes (no line even). Granted that was around 10:30 or 11. Still, it was the most painless non-pre-registration that I've gone through (even better than the Sunday at con registration at Ani-Magic).