PDA

View Full Version : Anime Matsuri 2009

breugxalder
01-11-2009, 02:05 AM
:D Well.

Schwelty
01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hell no. I've heard waaaaaay too many horrible things about this con. I have also heard that the staff and volunteers act all high and mighty and believe that $50 registration at the door by their third year is 'reasonable'. Reasonable my ass. No con should ever go above $40 during their first couple of years. $40 during the first year was outrageous. I mean, how full of yourself can you get? I'm very disappointed to hear that Matt and JoEllen are attending this overrated con.

Emotiongear
01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi, I'm John, the convention director. I'm sorry you think this con is 'overrated'. Registration at the door is $48 for 3 days. Before that it started at $30 for pre-reg. The point is to encourage people to pre-reg early to avoid long lines at the door.

You might still say it should be cheaper for a 3 year convention, but not many 3 year cons can provide what we have planned. We always listen to everyone's ideas, comments and suggestions and we try to accomodate everything and everyone. We have come a long way in 3 years. Just off the top of my head for this year we have:
Over 100,000 sq ft of convention space (including outdoor events)
Over 70 panels/workshops
Cultural Events
We are supported by FUNimation, Bandai, VIZ, Paramount, FOX, etc
Dragonball Evolution Premiere
Crispin Freeman, Stephanie Young, Luci Christian, Chris Patton, Blake Shepard, Cynthia Rothrock etc
State of the art concert with... (I wish I could say who it is but I cant yet) <-- I think the concert alone is worth the entry fee, but you can decide later.
Over 6000 sq ft of gaming space (over 30 japanese arcades, huge console room etc)

Not many 3 year old conventions have all that. But we still try to be as competitive as possible. We have free parking, our hotel rooms are $99/night, the food is cheap etc.

We had quite a few problems in our first year, most beyond our control. We apologized over and over and promised to make up. If you attended our second year, it was obvious we worked very hard to fix as many issues as we could and make our attendees happy. For our 3rd year, we are trying even harder. We listened to everyone and changed many things. I believe this is the only way this convention can be truly successful.

There's no need to list out all the changes we have made but cosplay-wise, we now have our contest seperate from the concert with a stage especially prepared for the cosplayers. There's also service, you can watch, drink ramune and eat pocky. We have more sponsors than we had last year, hence more prizes and even more cash prizes.

Finally, Matt, JoEllen, Diana (and others we havent announced yet) would not endorse or help us if they did not believe in this convention.
All I'm asking is you please give us a chance. If you have ideas or suggestions, please tell me. I promise to listen and do everything I can to accomodate you.

Schwelty
01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you for shedding some light on all the rumors and bad image I had of this convention. You did it in a very professional manner too, which is really impressive to me and is very much important to me when going to convention. How the staff solves problems that arise and acts overall during the con.

I still think $48 is asking a little too much. It's a two dollar difference from the door price. I talked with a head staff member and found out that the band is not charging you tons of money because they're a big name band (I assume). And shouldn't so many sponsors mean less money? I will, however, definitely take into consideration how incredible you find this con to be and will think about going this year since the big man of this con himself responded to my comment. I'm most interested in finding out if $50 is worth the whole con if I do go.

Emotiongear
01-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Actually, $48 is the door price.

The pre-reg price is now $45. It went up from $40 on January 1st. Group reg is still $30 per person for a group of 10 or more. If you have a cosplay group of 10 people, you only pay $30for the weekend.

The band actually costs a lot, but we think it's worth it. The production cost of the concert is also high. But they will only accept to come if the quality of the concert meets their standards.

Besides the cash prizes for cosplay, we're also giving out 100's of dollars in dealer room vouchers to the cosplayers so they can shop, while supporting the dealers. This way everyone's happy.

If you do decide to come, please tell me if everything was worth the price of the admission. Thank you so much.

skypirate
01-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Anime Matsuri is one of my faves. Great hotel, great convention center, great location, cool guests, cool bands, fantastic surrounding area, free covered parking with a skywalk to the hotel, plus I like the people who run it and their enthusiasm. See you there!

And they know how to light a stage.

Emotiongear
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Gren just joined our cosplay team, I'm sure everyone knows who she is. She'll also be helping us out in making sure our cosplay is great and all the panels are wonderful.
We are doing all we can to make this con a great one. We cant do it without the cosplayers support though.

Ama Uzume
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
This sounds like it's shaping up to be a great con. It's so refreshing to see the director of the con himself responded to someone's post. I hope to have fun.

Maury V.
01-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Anime Matsuri is one of my faves. Great hotel, great convention center, great location, cool guests, cool bands, fantastic surrounding area, free covered parking with a skywalk to the hotel, plus I like the people who run it and their enthusiasm. See you there!

And they know how to light a stage.

Everything Mr. Skypirate is right! Truth be told their first year had a couple hiccups but their second year was seriously awesometastic! I'm looking forward to returning this year! :D

breugxalder
01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
:D Somethings for cosplayers to be excited about for our cosplay line-up for Anime Matsuri are...

Lots of panels :D
Hosted by some of our guests: Lillyxandra and Gren (To name a few)
Iron Cosplay
Four teams go head to head with three minutes, duct tape and a slew of random scraps and items to recreate costumes and be judged on their accuracy.
The Cosplay Masquerade
Our big show, bigger and better than ever~

<Blu,
Cosplay Coordinator :3

Scortia
01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I'll be down the road at Kamikazecon. If Kamikaze falters, which it most likely won't since it's always been awesome and is one of my all-time favorite cons, I'll head over to Matsuri.

Having two options will be pretty entertaining.

Azrael-sama
01-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Last AM was pretty nice compared to the last years. I think it sucks that there are 3 cons going on in April on the SAME days. I would go to AM this year but Sakuracon is at the same time. I think this is what is happening with a lot of other people.

MewKilalaMew
01-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Actually.... Anime Matsuri, Kamikaze, Sakura con and Kawaii con are the same weekend ~.~

I will possibly be heading to Kawaii con so I will most likely not be going to any of those..but if I don't go there I may go to Sakura con...if not out of state...I'm not sure which of the two in state I will go to.

FilthyWarumono
01-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Holy shit, this convention sounds AMAZING and I've never even heard of it. And I go to ALOT of conventions.
Now I need to look into where/when this con is. XD;

breugxalder
01-14-2009, 04:48 AM
:D Well just hop right on over to our website.

Anime Matsuri (http://www.AnimeMatsuri.com/)

Shadowhp7
01-14-2009, 08:12 AM
What is everyone Cosplaying as to Anime Matsuri09?

I'm going to Cosplay as:
Bleach-Rukia K.
FMA-Envy
Trinity Blood-Dark Abel Nightroad

marcyu
01-14-2009, 08:40 AM
I just want to know who does your web site? OH MY GOODNESS!!

Emotiongear
01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you guys for all the kind words, I am very humbled by the compliments. The entire staff has been looking at this thread and their inspiration level is at its highest.
We know that we have a lot of work ahead to make all our attendees happy. We wont rest until we see the smiles on everyone's face.
All our guests, events and panels are from the fan's wishlists. We went through every post and sculpted a convention that would make almost everyone happy. We will always listen to our fans because ultimately, the attendees are the ones who make the convention what it is.
At anytime, please do not hesitate to call on me if you have any ideas or suggestions. This is why I am here.

We receive almost 50 emails a day asking who our band will be. It is in our best interest to keep that information for just a while longer. But I can say is, we might run out of space in the concert hall.
If you havent pre-registered or booked a hotel room, please do it now. Its already getting hectic.
Finally, we have one more guest to announce, Quinton Flynn will be joining us for 2009. MANY people requested him, I hope this makes all his fans happy! :)

Ishihara_Seth
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm totally going for the musical artist. x3 I couldn't be more excited! Second time seeing him ♥

I know for sure I'm going as Reno from FFVII:AC, but I haven't decided on costumes for the other two days...this is gonna be my first con. :D I'm thinking Kurama from FFH, and maybe Ruki from the GazettE.

DawnYuuki
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Just to add more support for this convention, AM was the best con I attended in 2008. The location is wonderful, the staff is incredibly nice, and for what you're getting, the prices are incredible.

On a note unrelated to the convention quality, if any of y'all are familiar with Tales of the Abyss, I'm bringing my whole group of 15+ cosplayers to AM09. We're looking forward to having a blast at this con, and we'll be in ToA cosplay all Saturday, so look for us if you're a fan of the game! :toothy:

yamibakura03
01-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Going as Pokemon Red-(Satoshi) from Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow games
Toonlink

my brother as

Gold from Pokemon gold and silver
black pit- brawl

BatBowTie
02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm looking forward to this =3 I'll be coming all the way from PA to visit my best friend in the entire world ^_^ The con is the weekend before her birthday... so we're gonna have LOADS of fun.. omg.... So excited...

... Any other Host Club cosplayers I can hope to meet? ^_~

Neeymuffin
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I'll be there as Rule 63!Luigi to my friend's Waluigi. And the objection sign, and Hinamori. (:

I might have my I-Pin costume done, but that's really unlikely. D:

princessrei
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm going! Trying to gather a few Avatar Cosplayers if possible.

I'm going as Katara, my husband as Zuko, and my friend as Aang. (Or another character, which she hasn't publicly disclosed yet.)

I'm looking forward to this... I didn't go to the last AM (Disappointed with the first one), but I hear good things and I'm going to try again. ^_^

StHoly
02-10-2009, 09:39 PM
who will be cosplaying as vampire knighttt??? omg, i'm so excited bout it..XDD

Zexion.6
02-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I might go! I don't know who I'll be cosplaying as yet!

mewmewraspberry
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
sigh is this a popular convention? Because i had a very bad experience with yulecon, i think...about 20 people showed up. no fun what so ever

skypirate
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
sigh is this a popular convention? Because i had a very bad experience with yulecon, i think...about 20 people showed up. no fun what so ever
Hmmm... I'm not sure attendance alone is an accurate way to measure whether a con is popular or successful. My idea of a bad con experience is packing too many people into too small of a space, overpriced food, overpriced parking and waiting for elevators.

My understanding was that YuleCon wanted a fairly small con this past year. Looking at photos from the competition, I would say there were between 42 and 50 cosplay contest participants. Most of the cons I've attended have rarely exceed 70 walk-ons. I plan on going back this year.

I think Anime Matsuri's attendance was over 6,000 last year. Beautiful location, free parking, lots of food options and the elevators were a little better than average.

Anyway, just like people, each con seems to have its own unique personality, and there's something to find likable in each of them.

DawnYuuki
02-17-2009, 09:00 PM

20 people? O.o
Haha, rest assured you will be happy with this convention. I can't really say anything that hasn't been said before or that I haven't already said, but I encourage you to come to Matsuri this year if you've never been to one. The facilities are beautiful and the staff is most kind and helpful. They always have a great lineup of voice actors, a sweet musical guest, and a ton of panels. ^.^
A bunch of people attend as well.
You should check out their website- its organization speaks volumes of the con itself: http://www.animematsuri.com

DawnYuuki
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I think Anime Matsuri's attendance was over 6,000 last year. Beautiful location, free parking, lots of food options and the elevators were a little better than average.

And you of all people would know how much location matters! ^.^
'Just letting ya know- my group will be hunting you down for a few photos this year if you don't mind. You're just so talented. :)

FyreGothChylde
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm definitely going..Can't wait! ^.^.^

HanakoWings
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM

It's popular for something, but I've heard much better things for year two. Location wise it seems safer too. Game room is free as well.

Neko_no_Jutsu
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Not so sure if this is the right place to bring this up.

But I booked a room for Anime Matsuri for April 9th-12th.

It could use three more people, if your interested message me.

I already bought my bus ticket (I am coming all the way from Georgia x.x) and will pre reg this weekend.

Thank You and Im sorry in advance if this post doesn't belong here. ^_^;

Emotiongear
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
For those who are interested in Japanese fashion, AM's Fashion Show with Takuya Angel is on Friday night. Takuya Angel is a popular DJ and fashion designer. :bigtu:
Check out the website for more info!

vietgirl018
03-05-2009, 04:32 AM
I'm cosplaying as Ciel from Kuroshitsuji in his ball gown.

I'm so excited for Anime Matsuri. I already booked my hotel and pre-reg. >.<

Plus for whoever didnt know, Miyavi is coming to Anime Matsuri this year.

I'm pretty sure thats a big thing.

keriko
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Oh its because of Miyavi I got the super pass, which has since been sold out. ^^;

I got my tickets & room all ready to go! I just have to work on my Miyavi dollfie (BJD). I think I'll just be wearing my Burst Angel Meg and some lolita. ^__^

StHoly
03-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm cosplaying as Ciel from Kuroshitsuji in his ball gown.

I'm so excited for Anime Matsuri. I already booked my hotel and pre-reg. >.<

Plus for whoever didnt know, Miyavi is coming to Anime Matsuri this year.

I'm pretty sure thats a big thing.

omggg! i'm soo sooo gonna look for you!! >.>
am a kuroshitsuji addict and wanted to crossplay ciel.. sooner or later.!! XD

suger_snake
03-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll be at KKC
i'm sorry but i had a blast at KKCs first year
and i had a horrible time at AMs first year
So yeah i'm going to use common scene here

DawnYuuki
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I'll be at KKC
i'm sorry but i had a blast at KKCs first year
and i had a horrible time at AMs first year
So yeah i'm going to use common scene here

If there's any chance for you to, you should at least visit AM. Despite the bad rep that it aquired during its first year, I attended AM last year and it blew me away.
I know it's hard to forget a bad impression, but have you checked out all the incredible events going on at Matsuri this year? It's gonna be a blast. ^.^ On top of that, the staff is incredibly friendly and very involved. (The director was even posting here a while back)

'Not downing KKC at all, btw. It's a great con as well. :) I just don't want anyone to have misonceptions~

CasandraKiske
03-09-2009, 05:18 AM
My boyfriend, friend and I are all coming down from Delaware for this. My friend and I are mainly going for Miyavi (I want some game room action too). My boyfriend is going down for the video gaming and because his birthday is during the con weekend, so my friend and I are going to make it super special awesome for him.

Can anyone local give me a rundown on hotels in the area? I know there is one by a mall down the road, but I've heard that the road is a highway/freeway/something not easy to cross, so I'm a little worried since the con hotel is sold out.

Also, what else besides the con is there to do in the area? I've been all over Texas before, but never to this specific area, and since my friend and boyfriend have never been to Texas, I wanna show them a good time. :3

princessrei
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I go to school right near the hotel, but I can't remember the nearby hotels off the top of my head. I'll have to see next time I hit classes.

There's a mall RIGHT NEXT to the hotel. Its an extremely beautiful mall, there's lots of shops around it, and there's a trolley as well.

I agree the highway is tough to cross, and I'm pretty sure there's a couple of hotel buildings right there in that whole mall area (That same side of the highway.)

I'll take a look and see if I can help somehow.

vietgirl018
03-11-2009, 03:00 AM
omggg! i'm soo sooo gonna look for you!! >.>
am a kuroshitsuji addict and wanted to crossplay ciel.. sooner or later.!! XD

well i didnt make it. I dont have time to with exams and stuff. So i had to buy it. I love watching kuroshitsuji. I just hope it gets here on time =)

edit: i love AM! I always try to go a bit all out on my cosplay. Im even wearing a wig this year. >.< im so nervous.

skypirate
03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
My boyfriend, friend and I are all coming down from Delaware for this. My friend and I are mainly going for Miyavi (I want some game room action too). My boyfriend is going down for the video gaming and because his birthday is during the con weekend, so my friend and I are going to make it super special awesome for him.

Also, what else besides the con is there to do in the area? I've been all over Texas before, but never to this specific area, and since my friend and boyfriend have never been to Texas, I wanna show them a good time. :3

The con is in a very new tourist and retail development. It's densely packed with lots of restaurants, theaters, a mall and the very important Target. You can walk to a lot of places, which is kind of rare for Texas. The only thing it doesn't seem to have in the immediate area is a McDonald's, but that might have changed.

Every time I go to a Houston area con, I look forward to eating at Chi Japanese Restaurant (http://www.chijapanesecuisine.com/index.html) which is really close by and yeah, right across the highway.

For a laugh, you might eat at James Coney Island (http://www.jamesconeyisland.com/locations.htm) which is a local fast food restaurant, a mile or two south of the con. One of their signature beverages is Delaware Punch.

Other things to know. Last year the hotel had two parking lots. The front/north garage lot charged a fee. The back/south garage was free. The only real difference was having to a slightly longer skywalk to the hotel.

I look forward to seeing you there. Hope you have a wonderful time.

green_mnm222
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
hey, if anyone is interested in doing Cosplay Chess for Anime Matsuri, let me know what position you want via PM! i'll be in charge of Cosplay Chess at KKC too, so let me know. here is the official thread for the Anime Matsuri Cosplay Chess game so you can check availability: http://www.mashharder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4249
the slots are going pretty fast!

BlueRose
03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I live close to the houston area and need a to help share/split a room with someone. I know a lot of good places in houston too ;)

Emotiongear
03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
As we get closer to the convention, the excitement is building stronger. We have a cool idea for all our hard working cosplay supporters:

who wants to appear on the banner on this site? (the AM banner up there ^)

PM me some cool pix of yourself in the cosplay you'll be sporting at AM and we'll pick some pick some cool looking ones and put them on the banner so everyone can see how awesome you are!

Also include your real and cosplay names and what city you are from :toothy:

Thank you!

eemee
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Question...the AM forums are down so I thought I'd ask here-

Will there be two day passes available? The website didn't have any listed, but last year they were offered. I may only be able to come for two days, if any. Thank you!

Emotiongear
03-17-2009, 04:36 PM
The forums are back up now! Sorry about that.

We are not offering 2 day passes this year. Just single and weekend passes.

Emotiongear
03-19-2009, 12:42 AM
What do you think of the new AM commecial made by the talented Vic Mignogna?

It features lots of cosplayers :bigtu:

Watch it on Youtube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CF-Gy4AfQc)

vietgirl018
03-20-2009, 10:37 PM

I think its awesome!
It gave me a good laugh and smile. I was like wow!

SchizoIori
03-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I'll be there this year. I'm bringing

Adell -Disgaea 2
Ash- Phantom brave
Sasuke

Digital Blush
03-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Well this will be my first time attending AM so I hope things turn out well. ^^

Emotiongear
03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Well this will be my first time attending AM so I hope things turn out well. ^^

What are the 3 main things you look forward to at cons in general?

Digital Blush
03-21-2009, 09:35 PM
What are the 3 main things you look forward to at cons in general?

Hm, well for me it would be the cosplay contest. I enjoy attending those though only if its organized and doesn't run long. I like to be able to have a placed to sit after walk ons so I can enjoy seeing the skits. I think the other thing I look forward to is the dealers room. I guess if theres a wide variety of things there and not just the same thing. I also enjoy if the hotel isn't up tight about times people can be wandering around. That really is disappointing when you can't walk around late at night at any late panels or events. I also like going to cons if there are new guests that are invited. It is somewhat boring after awhile seeing the same guests every year. No offense to them but maybe different guests. Though I would think those are some basic things you guys probably already took into account. Either way I look forward to the con.

Emotiongear
03-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Hm, well for me it would be the cosplay contest. I enjoy attending those though only if its organized and doesn't run long. I like to be able to have a placed to sit after walk ons so I can enjoy seeing the skits. I think the other thing I look forward to is the dealers room. I guess if theres a wide variety of things there and not just the same thing. I also enjoy if the hotel isn't up tight about times people can be wandering around. That really is disappointing when you can't walk around late at night at any late panels or events. I also like going to cons if there are new guests that are invited. It is somewhat boring after awhile seeing the same guests every year. No offense to them but maybe different guests. Though I would think those are some basic things you guys probably already took into account. Either way I look forward to the con.

Blu, Jo Ellen, Diana, Gren and Matt will make sure the cosplay contest is top notch, although I have noted your idea and I will talk to them.

Our dealers room is bigger this year so we had to move it downstairs. There's a huge variety and better yet, it's been sold out for a month. So you'll be pleased there.

We take security very seriously at AM. The entire security staff, (incl. HPD, Montgomery Sherriff) is our responsibility. This also means that we will give the attendees the liberty to do what they link as long as they dont break the rules. So no, noone will be uptight about you wondering around at night.

As for guests, i'm sure you already know who is coming. most of them have not been here before. Yes many of our attendees will get to meet them for the first time at AM. We encourage our attendees to elcome the guests warmly because it's either their first time here or dont come ofter.

So the bottom line, You should be in for a treat. We are doing all we can to provide enough entertainment and value while creating a social atmosphere to generally have fun with your friends(and all the new people you meet).

If you have questions or comments, I'm always here to help. ^_^

toshirua3846384
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
im going to be at anime matsuri, cant enter in the contest though cause i think my cosplay costume wont be done in time :bigcry:

chisainekocat
03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Are there any schedules out yet? In particular, I would like to know which days the main events are, but I can wait if nothing's set to stone yet.

Emotiongear
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
We'll post up the schedule in the next couple of days. We're making sure the Panels Director and his team can run the 60+ panels with as little delays as possible.

BlueRose
03-24-2009, 03:08 AM

I really don't cosplay anymore but this was hilarious, lol...the pikachu tattoo, god.

my reasons for attending cons: most likely differ from most people.

1 - crazed fanboys/girls that hunt around the convention floor glomping, late night hotel antics and general people making an ass of themselves. Sorry but say what you want - weirdos make the con experience what it has been; atleast for me and a few of my friends that who used to attend cons.

2 - skits. The amount of time some people put into these is just reason enough for me to sit through a few of atrocities to get to a diamond in the rough. I'm just going to stop here...

3 - cosplay hallway posing etc. Okay, this has its positives and negatives for me.. but I just cant help but notice an attention getter when I'm trying to go back to my room in between the dealers section and gaming to spot one of these general aspirants to a cosmopolitan cover.

serious reasons:

1- the concert. Basically in my eyes, if your con doesn't have a decent musical act performing -- its the make or break it for your expectations. Sure, we all have our own tastes and whatnot even as our converging interests as con attendees are concerned. However, I think most of us can discern the strength of a con that books Miyavi; and one that books a half-known local DJ to remix anime themes for a jpop rave. Btw, the fact our getting Miyavi pretty much made me question myself in attending a con in almost 3 years, so congrats.

2 - game tournaments/competitive factor. non-gamers i can see they would rather compare cosplay ideas or anime knowledge or whatever have you. the social part i am grouping here just for the fact i go for arcade/console gaming. I mean, for the hardcore types you have Evolution and SBO etc. But for some of us not committed to traveling cross country, it gives us a little taste of the big game scene.

3 - dealers room. at first I had thought of putting the dance in here, then realized most dances/raves have been ass lately as I recall (word of mouth, so who knows). Anyway if peole really want a dance...hit up a techno club! It was actually hard for me to put dealers room and the top 2 how they see fit in order, but if you know most every con has a dealer room, some aren't that impressive. Every con i go to I leave with a cool ass item. Anyway, I've never been to an AM, but I still think I would find some rare item I would have to buy.

yeah

CasandraKiske
03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
If we're on a waiting list for superpasses, when will we find out if we will be able to purchase them? My friend and I are getting antsy. We really want to get front row seats for Miyavi. We're also making him some gifts to give to him. :)

Also, your forum would let me register, but I never received any confirmation emails to my inbox (and yes, I checked my spam box). I'd like to be able to post on the AM forums.

green_mnm222
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Cosplay Chess is now set on Fri, April 10 @ 6 p.m.-7.20 p.m.
Please sign up here if you are interested!
http://www.mashharder.com/forums/showthread.php?p=85435#post85435

RuhiNunchuck
03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Hiya! I only recently decided to go to this con...well actually I'm being dragged into going by Kkitty23 and PrincessRei ^_^ I'm flying in from Orlando, FL for this and I'm REALLY excited. Tons of really amazing guests, wish they'd come this way for our cons here lol.

I'll be going at Fire Nation Suki (Book 3 near the end) from Avatar:The Last Air Bender. Can't waiiit~

princessrei
03-25-2009, 11:58 PM
YAaaaAAAaayyy Suki!

I'm definately excited to go.

kkitty23
03-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Ya-hooo! I'm totally going to Matsuri 8D

I'll be sporting Trendy!Appa C: And hanging with my Gaang- Princessrei and RuhiNunChuck!

Amaya De'Morte
03-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Huzzah! Gettin' goin on my costumes.

Cyborg 003
Meiko from vocaloid
Yuna Final Fantasy X
and maybe something from five star stories. <3

StHoly
03-27-2009, 10:24 PM
anyone going as vampire knight characters?? >.<

Maury V.
03-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Anyone here going as anyone from Left 4 Dead? I might bring Lewis along.

princessrei
03-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Omg. I love L4D! I can't guarantee going as zoey, but it would be cool!

Digital Blush
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I've been hearing that we are required to be wearing a badge to just walk around the convention. Is this true? What if some of us won't be in until late and by the time we get there there is no point of buying a weekend badge at that time and if we aren't staying for sunday.

Cat-Chans
04-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I've been hearing that we are required to be wearing a badge to just walk around the convention. Is this true? What if some of us won't be in until late and by the time we get there there is no point of buying a weekend badge at that time and if we aren't staying for sunday.

Last year the way the con was set up they had a badge check coming off of the escalators onto the 2nd (I believe) floor where most of the convention action was happening. They are a little brutal on badge checking, but if you are getting in late then you can always point out that you just arrived and reg is closed for the night.

If any of the staff is overly rude about it I would suggest asking them who their supervisor is and to speak to said person.

FE Freak
04-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I say, just post a question on the forums. The con chairperson frequents the AM Discussion thread.

Digital Blush
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Last year the way the con was set up they had a badge check coming off of the escalators onto the 2nd (I believe) floor where most of the convention action was happening. They are a little brutal on badge checking, but if you are getting in late then you can always point out that you just arrived and reg is closed for the night.

If any of the staff is overly rude about it I would suggest asking them who their supervisor is and to speak to said person.

Thanks Cat-chan. I'll do that.

A14jojo
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey!

I convinced my mother about driving to AM, but we'll only be around Saturday, but that's fine seeing as how we could not afford the price of staying at a hotel. ^^;
Anyway I wanted to ask, how long are the lines to get a day badge on Saturday? How early should we be there? I am worried about making my mom stand for long periods since she is not use to this kind of thing.
Also, are any Akatsuki members going? I am toying with the idea of cosplaying on Saturday just for the fun of it, but it is my first cosplay. XD

FE Freak
04-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Go early.

Reg. times:

Thursday, April 9th: 5PM-10PM
Friday, April 10th: 8AM-10PM
Saturday, April 11th: 7AM-9PM
Sunday, April 12th: 9AM-2PM

Convention Hours
Friday, April 10: 12:00PM - 4AM
Saturday, April 11: 10:0AM - 4AM
Sunday, April 12: 10:0AM - 4PM

Maury V.
04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I can't wait for this! This is going to be my only Houston con this year and I want to make this good!!!:bigtu:

A14jojo
04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Go early.

Reg. times:

Thursday, April 9th: 5PM-10PM
Friday, April 10th: 8AM-10PM
Saturday, April 11th: 7AM-9PM
Sunday, April 12th: 9AM-2PM

Convention Hours
Friday, April 10: 12:00PM - 4AM
Saturday, April 11: 10:0AM - 4AM
Sunday, April 12: 10:0AM - 4PM

Thank you for the times. :)
Of course we will try and make it there as early as possible, but I am still concerned about how long we would have to wait in line for our badges? Since my mother was kind enough to agree to go and I don't want to be put her through too much. :angel2:

FE Freak
04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
WELL, it really does depend on how early you get there. Is there some way for yall to come pick up badges Thursday night? And, if you do get there around..oh... 10 a.m., expect a 1-2 hr wait, pre-reg wise. We're gonna try and organize the badges by alpha and group for easier pick up like last year.

A14jojo
04-01-2009, 11:01 PM
WELL, it really does depend on how early you get there. Is there some way for yall to come pick up badges Thursday night? And, if you do get there around..oh... 10 a.m., expect a 1-2 hr wait, pre-reg wise. We're gonna try and organize the badges by alpha and group for easier pick up like last year.

Oh!
Well neither would apply; since me and my mom would be buying one day badges for Saturday, so I don't know how that will work out or how long we should expect to wait in line.
Sadly the earliest we could be over there would be early Saturday morning.:lost:

Tenya Muyo
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Huzzah! Gettin' goin on my costumes.

Cyborg 003
Meiko from vocaloid
Yuna Final Fantasy X
and maybe something from five star stories. <3

Awwww Man!! Me and a friend were going to come as the twins from Vocaloid, but I ran out of money and time! Ah well, I still get to go, so that makes me very happy ^_^ My first anime convention of the year; I can't wait! See everyone there!:bigtu:

Maury V.
04-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Say will there be any Yoko (Gurren Lagann) cosplayers here? I have an idea for a commercial I want to film and I am in need of a Yoko. Thanks! :3

Emotiongear
04-04-2009, 01:12 AM
This cosplay party will be fantastic! Bring your cameras everyone!

FE Freak
04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey, Emo-gear, how long does it take for someone to get picked for the volunteer thing?

Emotiongear
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Not long. Did you not receive the email confirmation yet?

Where you at the volunteer social on Sunday?

SchizoIori
04-07-2009, 01:40 AM
So my costume list changed a little. Still bringing adell, but I decided to make jill valentine from RE3 since I reaffirmed my love for the series.

FE Freak
04-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Not long. Did you not receive the email confirmation yet?

Where you at the volunteer social on Sunday?

Nope, and no one told me anything...

Neko_no_Jutsu
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Im going to be getting there early. (Like around 7-10AM)

But, someone in the room is extremely close to not being able to go any more. So any last minute people need a place to crash? I will need to know ASAP. Im taking a bus there and will be leaving soon.

And Im also volunteering. Where do I go after I get there?

vietgirl018
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
just posting this here as well.

I have a room and has space for 1-2 people in my room.

please PM me if you are interested.

vg_goddess02
04-12-2009, 02:26 PM
I just went Saturday, but I had a blast! Makes me wish I went the whole weekend. I was Anne-Marie from All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Killmekissme15
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
I was there all weekend. I mostly did Koenma from YYH but I was Sasuke in his Akatsuki outfit from Naruto for like 3 hours on Saturday and Aizen on Friday for the first few hours.

If anyone has a picture of them, it'd be nice to know!

jdp898989
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey, I'm looking for pics of me and my group: Blue Link in the group of Links (Green, Blue, Red, and Dark)

We were the ones carrying the blue bombs too :D

All pictures would be appreciated ;D

Thanks guys!

Neeymuffin
04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Ah, I have a picture of you guys! <3 once I get around to uploading them, I'll link everyone to my gallery.

I was the female Luigi walking around with the Waluigi on Friday. Saturday and Sunday, I was the reasonably dark-haired Momo still walking around with the Waluigi.

any pics would be appreciated! <3

_Vergil_
04-13-2009, 01:01 AM
I was Jade Curtiss (Tales of the Abyss) on Friday Also, my boyfriend was Kakuzu (Naruto) on Friday and Saturday. I'd love it if anyone had pictures. <33

My boything took some pictures with his camera, I'll have to link to them once they're uploaded.

Also Vergil (Devil May Cry 3) on Saturday, but only two people got pictures and I shimmied out of that costume rather quickly so I doubt I'll find any.

FyreGothChylde
04-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has pictures..^.^;, but I was Sunako Nakahara(military), Rio and bondage Alucard and Tatsuya Suou.

SchizoIori
04-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I had a great time at this con. I was fairly impressed with how the cosplay contest was handled and had fun just wandering around. I hope to return to this con, and hopefully at this hotel. It's a wonderful location.

BTW if anyone has them I was Jill Valentine from RE3 on friday and Adell from disgaea 2 on saturday. I'd love any pics anyone might have.

Maury V.
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
I had a great time at this con. I was fairly impressed with how the cosplay contest was handled and had fun just wandering around. I hope to return to this con, and hopefully at this hotel. It's a wonderful location.

BTW if anyone has them I was Jill Valentine from RE3 on friday and Adell from disgaea 2 on saturday. I'd love any pics anyone might have.

I filmed you for my show on Friday! :D

Fryegothchylde: You caught me during the MGS game! :3 Man, I SO wanted that PS3! Wrong place at the wrong time! :D

I'm going to say this is the best con of 2009 already. Why? Because I am no longer taking my camera equipment to any more conventions. Last week, I made the decision to no longer take it to any more cons after Matsuri and I am sticking to it. I want to give big thanks to Emotiongear and the rest of the AM staff for their hard work and support and helping me out with my show. I really want to thank EVERYONE that attended the con because I could not have done this without you all!

Peace and love!
Maury V.

princessrei
04-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Ooh! If anyone has any photos of the Avatar cosplayers, we'd LOVE to see em!!!

Arakhne
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey, I was the Dark Toon Link in the small Toon Link army that was walking around. We also had a few people that just got pictures of me and Green, so if anyone has those, that'd be awesome =O

My friend and I also did Miyavi costumes (she had the peace flag) and a few people got pictures of that =O I completely forgot to get our own pictures of us, so i you've got one, that would be awesome!

We'll be posting our gallery as soon as we've got all the pictures from our cameras gathered up and uploaded ^_^ Hope you all have an awesome con and thanks for any picture links!

Kikala
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
If anyone got pictures of us that'd be cool;
Friday we were the Cheshire twins from Ouran
Saturday morning we were Cooro and Husky from + Anima
Saturday evening (mostly for the contest. >.> We were working it so we couldn't really stop for pictures) We were Rikku, Tidus and a few points we had Yuna
Sunday we were the Cheshire twins again, but we were wearing bunny ears instead of cat ears. XD

MexicAnime
04-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Just finished uploading the video from the Cosplay Contest. No picture from the is con, as I forgot to take batteries for my digital camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MexicAnime&view=videos (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MexicAnime&view=videos)

skypirate
04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Cosplayers make the world go 'round.

SkyPirate's Anime Matsuri 2009 gallery (http://www.skypirate.net/cosplay/am2009/index_001.htm) in progress.

:Čj

FyreGothChylde
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I filmed you for my show on Friday! :D

Fryegothchylde: You caught me during the MGS game! :3 Man, I SO wanted that PS3! Wrong place at the wrong time! :D

I'm going to say this is the best con of 2009 already. Why? Because I am no longer taking my camera equipment to any more conventions. Last week, I made the decision to no longer take it to any more cons after Matsuri and I am sticking to it. I want to give big thanks to Emotiongear and the rest of the AM staff for their hard work and support and helping me out with my show. I really want to thank EVERYONE that attended the con because I could not have done this without you all!

Peace and love!
Maury V.

Heh..yeah I did get you!! It was pretty fun tagging people out..^.^.^ though alot of people ended up quitting..o.o. Anyways maybe you can try again next year? I believe another game is going to be organized for the next one as well. hehe

kkitty23
04-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Yey! Matsuri was such a blast! I had so much fun running around and taking pictures with people C: I danced with a lot of random people too, lol xD I think next time I'm going to make it my goal to get everyone's names and stuff, so I actually remember who all I met and goofed off with!

Emotiongear
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Thank you to all the wonderful cosplayers who added so much color and awesomeness to AM09! Thank you for all the compliments!
I hope you guys had as much fun as i did. We had a record number of people show up to this con and we did everything we could to make sure everyone was comfortable, safe and of course, having fun!
As usual, we're here if you need us so dont hesitate to contact us if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or ideas.
On behalf of the AM Team...once again a BIG thank you!

John Leigh
Director
Anime Matsuri

PS Skypirate is just too awesome!

Pongo
04-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Thank you to all the cosplayers who provided the great photo opportunities. I enjoyed taking the many photos.

I have posted my photos here:

Friday: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/145987/
Saturday: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/145988/
Sunday: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/145989/

J-Fashion Show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26960559@N07/sets/72157616597121463/

Cosplay Contest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26960559@N07/sets/72157616781420488/

Note: Please comment on your photos with your character and series name and I will update the references on the photo.

Enjoy,
Pongo

Neeymuffin
04-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v619/miss_neey_chan/AnimeFEST/Anime%20Matsuri/) is my gallery. (:

Sorry it's so small. ._. it's a new camera and I forgot that I had it with me most of the time.

but there it is nonetheless. <3

Emotiongear
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Jojo's gallery (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=83306970&albumId=2859060)

SchizoIori
04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Jojo's gallery (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=83306970&albumId=2859060)

I'm so happy that you got a picture of our Disgaea group. Thanks!

RuhiNunchuck
04-17-2009, 07:19 AM
I had alot of fun at this con. It wasnt as big as I anticipated but then again i'm more used to cons here in Florida ^_^ But I had a blast. The planet zero game room was AWESOME! And I had a blast with my Gaang (I was the Suki with the Appa and Katara). I'm glad I was able to make it out to Houston.

Anyways I have pictures, I just need to get to a computer that I upload them onto. I'll probably have them up next week. ^_^

Emotiongear
04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
^ Cool! With your undying support, we'll be as big as the Florida cons soon :D

2010 planning is underway, please post up your suggestions in our forums (http://www.mashharder.com/forums/index.php)

RuhiNunchuck
05-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey guys sorry it took so long but here are all my pics. I'm uploading them this very minute

http://s459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/RuhiNunchuck/Anime%20Matsuri%202009/

darkwolfalika
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Anime Matsuri was the bomb. It was my first convention and I loved it. I only went Friday but I still got a lot of pictures.
I went with my friend and we were Amu and Miki from Shugo Chara.