PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re; group cosplay at Megacon

AmethystWolf
01-11-2009, 01:41 PM
A very quick question for you folks:

My community college (PHCC, for anyone in the New/Port Richey area) animu/gaming club normally heads up to Megacon. This year is going to be the first time the group as a whole will cosplay- we're going as characters from Phoenix Wright. (I'm going as a fem!Hobohodo, myself)

The majority of my group members are shy, and I don't think a lot of them have cosplayed before- I myself have only done it once or twice before with limited success (since I too am very shy, derp).

We were considering entering one of the cosplay contests for fun. I don't think we'd win, truthfully - being beginners and all- but I do think it'd be an interesting experience for all involved.

Do you guys have any pointers you'd be so kind to share? I'm the co-president of the club, and I wouldn't want to lead them into something I only know scant little about. I've read the forums for beginners/newbies to cosplay, but I'm really looking for experiences you've had with group cosplay/ group cosplay pertaining to Megacon. Worth it? Not so much?

Thank you for your time. :3

JFBount
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey man its really cool that your open to ask but in all honesty its all about having fun (for me anyway). Its really up to you how much fun you have in your cosplay and on top of that its always great to be amongst cherished friends and the many that are going to be there that have the same general interests as you.

I'm also rather thrilled to see your group is doing Phoenix Wright. That was actually the first real cosplay that I started with (I did Apollo Justice) and with that I met some of my now BEST friends.

You should DEFINITELY come find me on friday though because (If I can pull it off X_X) I'll be Godot PLAYING his theme song on Alto Saxophone. I'm not going to lie its extremely difficult and i'm giving it my best shot so if I do it I'll actually be surprised with myself. I know theres going to be a Franziska there and possibly a Phoenix (maybe if we all convince Gentlemen here on the forums he'll wear that blue suit one more time lol cause he really does make an epic phoenix wright ... i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdVdeh26eb4 kinda explains itself... minus that wig ... lol brett). Also I have a friend that should be doing Diego Armando alongside my Godot which should be awesome.

Soooooo yeah just have fun with it and i'm sure you and your group will have a great time.

Foos
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Do you guys have any pointers you'd be so kind to share? I'm the co-president of the club, and I wouldn't want to lead them into something I only know scant little about. I've read the forums for beginners/newbies to cosplay, but I'm really looking for experiences you've had with group cosplay/ group cosplay pertaining to Megacon. Worth it? Not so much?

Thank you for your time. :3

I would recommend against the cosplay contest, honestly. If you're not serious about craftsmanship, it'll eat up time that could be better spent mingling/goofing off. You have to wake up early for pre-judging, spend a generous amount of time waiting around for that, then spend a couple hours in line before the contest.

If you do decide to do the contest, you have to either register online or at the con before 11am on Saturday morning. You will be given a number, location and time to come back for pre-judging. For judging, you need to provide reference photos of the characters being cosplayed, explain to the judges how the garments were constructed, and be given a time for which to come back and line up for the contest. Generally, you wait for a long time before walking onstage. There is no live audio, and the sound quality isn't phenomenal....so almost no one does skits, though you do have a full minute if you wanted to pre-record something.

After everyone walks (usually over 100 entries), they do awards. BAM. There you have it.

moonfall
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm part of an anime club, too. (Gator Anime at UF). We may be going as a club, since the usual trip to AWA didn't work out last year, but either way, I'll still be there.

There will definitely be other PW cosplayers. Just mingle and have fun, and don't let anyone talk trash about your costumes.

AmethystWolf
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the advice and replies, everyone. I talked it over with my club, and we decided against participating in the contest- but we'll still be cosplaying. :)

JFBount
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
out of curiosity how many people do you have in your group and what phoenix wright cosplays are you doing ?

AmethystWolf
01-22-2009, 09:45 PM
out of curiosity how many people do you have in your group and what phoenix wright cosplays are you doing ?

Let's see...

We're a rather small group- only 8 of us are going to be cosplaying. I'm going as fem!Hobohodo, and we're going to have at least a: Diego, regular!Phoenix, Jake Marshall, and Maya Fey. The others are still deciding who'd they like to go as.

JFBount
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
That diego better have a mug and some time to take some shots with me then lol. Also really awesome you have a Jake Marshall. I know Moonfall on the forums here has Franziska and Gentleman has Phoenix or maybe.... just maybe Gant... (Sorry brett if you wanted to keep that a secret but if you do it its going to be epic). I'm really starting to look foward to friday and hanging out with you guys.

AmethystWolf
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
That diego better have a mug and some time to take some shots with me then lol. Also really awesome you have a Jake Marshall. I know Moonfall on the forums here has Franziska and Gentleman has Phoenix or maybe.... just maybe Gant... (Sorry brett if you wanted to keep that a secret but if you do it its going to be epic). I'm really starting to look foward to friday and hanging out with you guys.

I had almost forgotten about the mug! I'll remind him to bring one, heh.

Gant would be frightening quite epic indeed!

I'm really looking forward to (hopefully) bumping into you guys. Will you only be there Friday, or staying for all three days..?

JFBount
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
i'll only be doing Phoenix Wright on friday. I have Freakazoid planned on saturday and possibly Him from the powerpuff girls on sunday (Him is a big maybe lol). If I dont do Him I'll possibly bring out Godot again or my Jan Valentine.