PDA

View Full Version : Advice about weight


True_Sanosuke
07-23-2003, 09:05 PM
I was woundering whats a good way to lose 20lbs

the_tennyo
07-23-2003, 09:08 PM
be like conner, dont eat, excerise, and again dont eat, but that is not healthy at all **the not eating part**

Kusanagi
07-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Cut back on the calorie intake and excersize, there really is no other quick way to do it.

Mouse
07-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Find some sort of sport or activity that your really like.. such as DDR :D And then just try to cut down you calories.. watch your serving sizes too, often the recommended serving size is a lot less than you would think. Don't skip meals, breakfast is especially important.

Kira_Yamato
07-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Personally, I still havent figured it out. Somehow, I lost some weight in the short time since AX. I don't know that happenned, all I know is that when I bought my Zeon ring at AX, I had to wear it as a pinkie ring, but now it'll fit on my ring finger......

Koumori
07-23-2003, 09:43 PM
The only way to lose 5 pounds, or 50 pounds: consume fewer calories than you expend. Eat less, eat healthy, and exercise.

Himemiya
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Or just be 20 pounds heavier and happy :D

Shinkokami
07-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by the_tennyo
be like conner, dont eat, excerise, and again dont eat, but that is not healthy at all **the not eating part**

If you have a weight watchers in your area try that. Not only does it set you on proper eating / excersizing habits, you loose weight healthily. Not eating sends your body into starvation mode which basically means you metabolism SLOWS down.. and A LOT. People who are excersizing, and eating healthy (but not enough) gain weight because of this. I've seen it happen. You'll probably loose weight faster, and in a way that's better for your body if you do it with a local program.

AshleyV
07-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Try and cut down your intake in carbs. I've done that and I have lost over 25 lbs now. Exercise and drink plently of water as well.

Shinkokami
07-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by AshleyV
Try and cut down your intake in carbs. I've done that and I have lost over 25 lbs now. Exercise and drink plently of water as well.

Water. Yes, water is *definately* the key. Drink lots and LOTS of water. If your drinkig any less than 6-8 cups a day at the minimum you are NOT drinking enough water. (1 cup is 8 ounces)

Chantť
07-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by AshleyV
Try and cut down your intake in carbs. I've done that and I have lost over 25 lbs now. Exercise and drink plently of water as well.

The low/no carb diet is the most effective and quick method I've heard of. Unfortunately, carbs are in a LOT of things generally considered good for other conventional diets, like pasta and bread. (NOT that those foods are unhealthy in any way at all - they are just high in carbs. ^^;)

This diet works quickly because your body then resorts to getting energy (something it obviously needs on a daily basis) from your fat. Bye bye pounds! :D

here's something you can use to gauge how many carbs your food has. http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_counter.html

and here's some info on the Atkins diet and a sample meal plan - http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/atkins-diet.html

:D Good luck!!

Shinkokami
07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bananaluvs
The low/no carb diet is the most effective and quick method I've heard of. Unfortunately, carbs are in a LOT of things generally considered good for other conventional diets, like pasta and bread. (NOT that those foods are unhealthy in any way at all - they are just high in carbs. ^^;)

This diet works quickly because your body then resorts to getting energy (something it obviously needs on a daily basis) from your fat. Bye bye pounds! :D

here's something you can use to gauge how many carbs your food has. http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tools/carb_counter.html

and here's some info on the Atkins diet and a sample meal plan - http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/atkins-diet.html

:D Good luck!!

I know quite a few people that went on the Atkins - my parents included. 95% of those people lost weight very quickely and effectively (my dad lost 40 pounds in 2 or so weeks). But, the problem is as soon as you go off the diet you gain it all back in less than a week - so according to the people I've talked to. Not to mention it doesn't seem very healthy to me to live off a diet based on eating all fat.

I mentioned it earlier but Weight Watchers is in my opinion a very effective program. You may not loose weight as fast as other diets (guaranteed 1-3 lbs. a week) but it's at least a good way to learn healthy and effective eating habits and such, while cutting down on your weight at the same time ^^

www.weightwatchers.com

neoangelwink
07-23-2003, 11:05 PM
eat only veggys, water and some rice. do much running , biking, any else that make moive do this for hour a day. idid this for cleaning diet, in 7 day i lose 7 pound last year. did do this poruse at frist it just happen.felt pretty good afther words. then tryed for 12 day u i got really sick.

Shinobu
07-23-2003, 11:17 PM
I agree with Shinkokami that Weight Watchers is great. I lost 15 pounds on it two years ago, and this year I've lost 20 pounds since June and I'm still going. The best part about the diet is that you get to choose the foods you like as long as you dont eat too much of it, and the weight will stay off permanently. The meetings are expensive, but if you have enough will power, you only need the booklet they give you on the first meeting. ^_~

Oh yeah I also agree w/ Shinokokami about the Atkins thing too! Same with the grapefruit diet or starvation diets, it will all just come back. If you want more tips from dieters, here's another topic about dieting.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16780

JacksUsername
07-23-2003, 11:31 PM
hmm, yeah, if you're just planning on first losing the pounds then start eating right and eat three balanced meals a day, so your metabolism can start getting into a healthy system of burning what you eat, as you long as you're watching what you eat. After losing the initial weight, then you can work more on toning by doing situps and crunches, while doing running or walking every other day....that's how i lost a lot of weight last summer....unfortunatly I have to get back to toning, I'm at my suggested weight, but still got some flab :P

Shinkokami
07-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Phankish you Shinobu ^^ I just started Weight Watchers this past Monday night, and I'm surprised to say that I'm actually enjoying it. Ironic x.x;; Though I've ony been doing it myself for two days, I've watched and heard the effect of it from a lot of the people surrounding me. I haven't heard one complaint... except maybe the price. But your right, all you really need is that first meeting packet and your set for the most part ^^

Originally posted by neoangelwink
eat only veggys, water and some rice. do much running , biking, any else that make moive do this for hour a day. idid this for cleaning diet, in 7 day i lose 7 pound last year. did do this poruse at frist it just happen.felt pretty good afther words. then tryed for 12 day u i got really sick.

I'm afraid to say, and hopefully no offense will be taken to this, but - that disgusts me. Vegtables and rice are not going to provide you with all the things your body needs - for instance, calcium, protien, iron, all the different vitamins, and I could go on forever listing other things. Not to mention rice is almost stright carbohydrates. Feeding yourself only vegetables and rice for a week is almost like poisoning yourself, you can't live like that. And if your loosing one pound a day, something's wrong. It's not healthy in the least to loose any more than 3 pounds a week.

Kurenai
07-24-2003, 12:27 AM
The Atkins diet is TERRIBLE. It's so unhealthy that you may end up doing worse things to your body than before the diet.

Carbs are in almost everything. Especially fruits and veggies -- which we're supposed to eat a lot of because they are beneficial to us, contain lots of fiber (which fills you up), water, vitamins, low fat, etc. Carbs are also our primary energy source--glucose.

There are some parts of the diet that I do agree with -- cutting out refined, unnecessary sugar. Quick science lesson:

Refined sugar -- simple sugars that are broken down quickly, meaning you get a burst of energy and then your blood sugar drops. This is in all the traditional "bad" stuff, mostly sweets.

Complex carbs -- the best form of carbs. Although fructose from fruits is also a simple sugar (honey is different as well), the way your body breaks it down is slowly and more efficiently, leaving you with a steady energy supply (not to mention blood sugar) until your next meal. These include grains and legumes. This is why oatmeal is a really good breakfast.

I'm not saying protein is bad...protein IS essential but a lot of times it is coupled with saturated fat--you've got to watch that intake as well. A really good source of protein and good fat (mono, polyunsaturated) is nuts...you need some fat in your diet to help you feel full and build cells and such.

Generally it is good to eat something every three hours so that you keep your metabolism going. I think a balanced ratio is something like 20% fat, 20% protein and 60% carbs, but I don't know the exact numbers.

I'm sorry for this big long rant, but the Atkins diet pisses me off and I always want to strangle those stupid women who come into my workplace looking for all the machinated low-carb crap that they think will be a quick fix to their weight problems.

P.S. It's good to have sweets sometimes...when you gotta have a cookie, you gotta have a cookie. It saves you from bingeing later. :D

cactusmomma
07-24-2003, 01:31 AM
drink LOTS of water...and snack throughout the day instead of eating big meals..your body will break it down easier into energy instead of storing it away as fat

Catatonic_Van
07-24-2003, 01:41 AM
err no one has mentioned this yet and I'm surprised. You should see your doctor. If you're susceptible to diabetes dieting or rapid weight loss can often trigger it. Itís best to see your doctor so you can figure out what is the best way to lose weight, whether it be dieting or exercise etc.. Please see your doctor, it isnít healthy to lose more then 2 pounds a week after your first week of trying to lose weight.

Miaka No Baka
07-24-2003, 02:36 AM
weight watchers is GOOD! go join them because weight watchers is not a DIET it's a LIFESTYLE and to keep yourself healthy you need to change your lifestyle. I can eat anything and everything I want (even fast food) and I can still lose weight. Generally when you join weight watchers you'll lose 7 pounds give or take in the first week due to water loss. This is common with everyone then after the first 2 or 3 weeks you lose it a bit slower but it's healthy. In about 8 weeks you can lose up to 10% of your total weight. So if you weighed 200 pounds you can lose 20 pounds that's if and only if you work at it and you do need excersise.

Portion control is KEY! If you're eating tons of food a day but eating 2 or 3 servings of a food you're getting way too much calories or other fats that you don't need. You should make sure if that box of cookies says: serving size 2 cookies 100 calories, that you only eat 2 cookies or find better food that gives you more food for less calories. I've been doing weight watchers for almost 1 whole week now and I've already lost close to 10 pounds. I'm happy and I don't find myself starving to death and there's times when you can save your points and eat more food on special occasions and you'll still lose weight! The key is portion control and drinking water and getting enough calcium, vegitables and fruits.

Miaka no Baka

Koumori
07-24-2003, 05:48 AM
Weight Watchers rocks. I lost 50 pounds that way and have kept it off for years.

There's nothing really wrong with Atkins or any of the other fad diets out there right now; they all work by the same calorie-restriction principle - the problem is that if you restrict your food that closely, and/or cut out entire food groups, you're not likely to continue eating that way for the rest of your life - which is what you need to do. Losing weight isn't just a short-term thing; if you want to keep it off and stay healthy, it has to be a priority for you FOREVER.

RuthlessJS
07-24-2003, 06:13 AM
I would start off with a weight loss program like weight watchers.
Though if you want to go it yourself there any many recommended diets you could find on the internet and other places. Just for a few tips.....with dieting you need ot do cardio to burn off the fat. Think about walking or running at least 3 times a week if not more. Also watch the amount of sugar and saturated fat that you get from certain foods.

I lost 20 pounds in about 2 months this summer by staying away from candy, running every day, and eating somewhat healthy.
Im trying to work on my 6pack for a jax costume:)

Good luck with your diet :)

Scortia
07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Drink lots of water... drink protein with every meal... I am a firm believer in eating carbs for healthy weight loss, but make it whole grain carbs... avoid enriched, white flour, sugar, potatos, corn, and limit bananas because all will shoot up your fat storage... work out in multiple short workout sessions... 3 ten-minute workouts during the day keeps the metabolism up more than one long workout... do strength training as well as aerobics, or just start doing yoga or pilates which combine the two and give lean muscle. That's enough from me. I could just say in addition to become a Vegan, but that's too strict for most people. However, when I started doing the above and eating a vegan diet, without even trying, I dropped 20lbs like nothing.

Kirschwasser
07-24-2003, 10:25 AM
Speaking of weight...is there any way for a person like me (with a really high metabolic rate) to gain any weight? *Laughs* I'm the type that can lose weight so easily (not that I want to), but to gain it is another thing. Unfortunately during this past week, I lost a bit of weight since I haven't been able to eat much (got my Wisdom teeth pulled out, so it's only simple things like soup or shakes and stuff like that). I wish there was some drink or food that makes one gain weight. :p It's not that I look unhealthy...I just wish I can gain more...especially my arms...no matter how much I lift, they look the same. ;_;

Shinkokami
07-24-2003, 12:01 PM
**KEEP IN MIND** I would like to note that everyone here should be working out at least 20 minutes a day even if your not on a diet. It doesn't have to make you break a sweat or anything, something like yoga or just plain streching will do the trick. But you shouldn't be doing any less than 20 minutes a day.

Originally posted by Scortia
Drink lots of water... drink protein with every meal... I am a firm believer in eating carbs for healthy weight loss, but make it whole grain carbs... avoid enriched, white flour, sugar, potatos, corn, and limit bananas because all will shoot up your fat storage... work out in multiple short workout sessions... 3 ten-minute workouts during the day keeps the metabolism up more than one long workout... do strength training as well as aerobics, or just start doing yoga or pilates which combine the two and give lean muscle. That's enough from me. I could just say in addition to become a Vegan, but that's too strict for most people. However, when I started doing the above and eating a vegan diet, without even trying, I dropped 20lbs like nothing.


I agree about the three times a day work out. This works because after doing workouts such as lifting weights, your body continues to burn calories for a while after you stop. Doing this tree times a day in 10 minute incraments is going to be more effectivce than once a day for 30 minutes. This only applies for lifting weights though.


Also, the problem with things like veganism and vegitarianism (I'm a veggie head ^.~) Is that most people, after they stop eating meat can't seem to get enough protien for their body. This is because they wont eat things like beans and the works which are some of the top protien sources for people who don't eat meat. It's an unfortunate problem but I'd say it happens at least 70%-80% of the time.


Originally posted by Catatonic_Van
err no one has mentioned this yet and I'm surprised. You should see your doctor. If you're susceptible to diabetes dieting or rapid weight loss can often trigger it. Itís best to see your doctor so you can figure out what is the best way to lose weight, whether it be dieting or exercise etc.. Please see your doctor, it isnít healthy to lose more then 2 pounds a week after your first week of trying to lose weight.

Actually, it is fine to loose more than 2 pounds a week. Loosing more than 3 or 4 though is when it starts to get unhealthy. But yes, anyone who is planning to go on a diet, you SHOULD see your doctor first. It's just a quick visit and it will ensure that your safe with whatever method you decide to use to start loosing weight.

Originally posted by Koumori
Weight Watchers rocks. I lost 50 pounds that way and have kept it off for years.

There's nothing really wrong with Atkins or any of the other fad diets out there right now; they all work by the same calorie-restriction principle - the problem is that if you restrict your food that closely, and/or cut out entire food groups, you're not likely to continue eating that way for the rest of your life - which is what you need to do. Losing weight isn't just a short-term thing; if you want to keep it off and stay healthy, it has to be a priority for you FOREVER.

The problem is, that when people hear 'calories are bad for you' most of them think that means you can't eat them. Which is not true because your body NEEDS calories. When it's commonly said that they're bad for you, it's in refrence to how many calories people normally eat. I'd have to say that 80 to 90 percent of the population eats WAY to many calories (like twice as much as they need) to be healthy. So diets like the Atkins that stop you from eating almost all of your calories, isn't very healthy, especially if your planning to do it over a long period of time. Also, having all that fat intake (even though it's natural and not saturated) isn't healthy for you either.

Originally posted by Kirschwasser
Speaking of weight...is there any way for a person like me (with a really high metabolic rate) to gain any weight? *Laughs* I'm the type that can lose weight so easily (not that I want to), but to gain it is another thing. Unfortunately during this past week, I lost a bit of weight since I haven't been able to eat much (got my Wisdom teeth pulled out, so it's only simple things like soup or shakes and stuff like that). I wish there was some drink or food that makes one gain weight. :p It's not that I look unhealthy...I just wish I can gain more...especially my arms...no matter how much I lift, they look the same. ;_;

Honestly, I'd go see your doctor. They'd be able to help more than we would. Gaining weight is a more shifty process than loosing it and stuffing a lot of food down your throat is just going to make you unhealthy, and since your metabloism is pretty high, you might not gain weight from it either. So you'll be just as skinny, but in worse health than before @.@ Yes, go see your doctor, that's going to help you the most.

Koumori
07-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Shinkokami

The problem is, that when people hear 'calories are bad for you' most of them think that means you can't eat them. Which is not true because your body NEEDS calories. When it's commonly said that they're bad for you, it's in refrence to how many calories people normally eat. I'd have to say that 80 to 90 percent of the population eats WAY to many calories (like twice as much as they need) to be healthy. So diets like the Atkins that stop you from eating almost all of your calories, isn't very healthy, especially if your planning to do it over a long period of time. Also, having all that fat intake (even though it's natural and not saturated) isn't healthy for you either.


Now, I don't like Atkins for the reason I've already stated (very difficult if not impossible to stick with long term), but it isn't accurate to say it cuts out almost all of your calories. It just makes you take most of them from proteins and fats, while cutting out carbs, which *does* have the overall effect of reducing total calories consumed for most people - but it's not that drastic. So based on current studies, people do indeed lose weight on it, most of them at a healthy enough rate - but who can eat like that forever?

There are a lot of reasons I like Weight Watchers (mostly because for me it WORKS!), but one of them is that it really emphasizes balanced eating, whether you're a veggie or not. Another is that the program recognizes that your body needs a certain number of calories - not too many, but not too few either, or your body starts thinking there's a famine on and your metabolism will shut down to try to conserve what you've got, so you'll end up not losing weight (seems paradoxical but it's true). So they keep you within a certain range for each day with that in mind. And finally, nothing is off-limits, so you don't think you're depriving or punishing yourself; you just need to balance and plan. And having the support of meetings and the accountability of weighing in every week are big motivators.

Shinkokami
07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
Now, I don't like Atkins for the reason I've already stated (very difficult if not impossible to stick with long term), but it isn't accurate to say it cuts out almost all of your calories. It just makes you take most of them from proteins and fats, while cutting out carbs, which *does* have the overall effect of reducing total calories consumed for most people - but it's not that drastic. So based on current studies, people do indeed lose weight on it, most of them at a healthy enough rate - but who can eat like that forever?

Maybe I over exadurated. Atkins doesn't cut out most your calories, but your not usually getting enough of them when your on it.

As well, studies have shown that when your on the Atkins most of your weight loss is due to water loss. Atkins requires you to eat a lot of protien and it takes a lot of water to digest protien. So, most of the time (unless your drinking godly amounts of water everyday) a lot of weight loss is due to the fact that your body has so much less water in it.

zoinomiko
07-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Himemiya
Or just be 20 pounds heavier and happy :D

I see you've heard of my diet plan. :D

True_Sanosuke
07-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Im unlucky i cant cut my carbs i have diabetes and it would throw my system out of whack.

Scortia
07-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Shinkokami
[b]

Also, the problem with things like veganism and vegitarianism (I'm a veggie head ^.~) Is that most people, after they stop eating meat can't seem to get enough protien for their body. This is because they wont eat things like beans and the works which are some of the top protien sources for people who don't eat meat. It's an unfortunate problem but I'd say it happens at least 70%-80% of the time.

It is a shame, you are right. Beans are yummy. *_* Soy milk is DELICIOUS in cereal.. soy nuts and regular nuts are good sources as well.

LuckInSpades
07-25-2003, 12:04 AM
*Zenful* Accept your body, because it is byuutiful! XD

Shinkokami
07-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by True_Sanosuke
Im unlucky i cant cut my carbs i have diabetes and it would throw my system out of whack.

That's a pretty important detail... I wish you would have at least mentioned it before we just got carried away. *mutterdakumutter* But I can't help you. I have friends and people in my family with diabetes but I don't even know if you have type 1 or 2. Go see your doctor, you shouldn't be asking strange people for help @.@ (I'm strange people o.o;;; )

Originally posted by Scortia
It is a shame, you are right. Beans are yummy. *_* Soy milk is DELICIOUS in cereal.. soy nuts and regular nuts are good sources as well.

Bwuaha. I like anything soy.. except milk x.x;; I can't stand soy milk, it's wayyy too sweet. Though my dad is lactose so we always have it in our house anyways @.<

Mnnnn.. tofu *drools* And beans. Nummy nummy in muh tummy *^_^*

Koumori
07-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by True_Sanosuke
Im unlucky i cant cut my carbs i have diabetes and it would throw my system out of whack.

In that case, you should talk to your doctor/dietitian before you make any major changes to the way you're eating now.

Neko_Kaolla
07-25-2003, 08:23 AM
It is known that is you eat five small meals a day instead of three big ones your metobolism speeds up, resulting in lost weight. But whatever you do, don't use diet pills! They're bad news!

John Booty
07-25-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Shinkokami
Feeding yourself only vegetables and rice for a week is almost like poisoning yourself, you can't live like that.
There are countries in the world that eat diets like this as a way of life! But yeah, more variety is good.

Kurenai
07-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Shinkokami
Bwuaha. I like anything soy.. except milk x.x;; I can't stand soy milk, it's wayyy too sweet. Though my dad is lactose so we always have it in our house anyways @.<

They make unsweetened kinds now (Silk has one) ^,^ or you could make your own, but I hear it takes like 6+ hours ._.

chesh
07-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Neko_Kaolla has good advice: GRAZE!
Seriously, eating a little bit all the time is really good for keeping your metabolism up. This means it's burning calories all the time, instead of in big spurts. This also has the added benefit of reducing the early-afternoon slump, at least for me. But remember, graze on healthy foods. Keep a bowl full of baby carrots in the fridge; cover them in water to keep them fresh. Keep lots of fruits you like in the house; canned pineapple is my favorite. Try to eat lots of whole grains. I found that a local Chinese grocery carries brown jasmine rice (so much yummier than normal brown rice), and now I'm doing much better about eating healthy. If you're like me and sometimes forget to eat the fruits and veggies before they go bad, never fear! Frozen veggies are almost as good, and canned fruit can be very good and good for you (just don't get the crap in syrup).

Weight Watchers worked wonders for my mom, but I know lots of my fellow college students can't afford it. Remember to excercise, even if it's just walking or biking places instead of driving. Don't starve yourself; that slows your metabolism down and can make you gain weight, especially after you go off the diet.

Most importantly, be happy and love yourself. Carrying 20 extra pounds around usually isn't too noticable (unless you're walking around in a thong bikini, which looks bad on *everyone*), and it really isn't that unhealthy at all. If you're eating foods you hate and all the excercising is making you miserable, don't worry! You probably still look beautiful, even if you aren't at your "ideal" weight, and people that give you crap about it obviously have some crazily high standards.

Just my. . . approximately 20 cents, really. *laughs* The most important thing is really to love yourself. That's what it's all about.

Scortia
07-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by chesh


If you're eating foods you hate and all the excercising is making you miserable, don't worry!

You know, this reminded me of the importance of your state-of-mind while trying to eat healthy and exercise. If you tell yourself that you're doing to lose weight in spots and look good, it's rather difficult to continue eating properly, because mentally you feel like you're depriving yourself of "better, tastier" food. You have to look at it as "healthy living" more than "diet". If you choose to eat and exercise in this way to maintain good health (physical and mental) now and in the future (especially with heart disease, colon cancer, and other diet-related sicknesses) it's much easier to keep this a long-term habit.

RadicalDreamer
07-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Both my dads and sister lost 5-6 pounds in 2-3 weeks easy simply by not drinking any Coke. Strange, but true. That's stuff's worse for you than you think.

Yeah... I still drink it like a fish.

Shinkokami
07-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Neko_Kaolla
It is known that is you eat five small meals a day instead of three big ones your metobolism speeds up, resulting in lost weight. But whatever you do, don't use diet pills! They're bad news!


No one lives off JUST rice and vegtables. And if they do, I'm almost doubtful that they'll live past 75.

Originally posted by Kurenai
They make unsweetened kinds now (Silk has one) ^,^ or you could make your own, but I hear it takes like 6+ hours ._.

O.o I think I'll take those 6+ hours and make a costume or something @.@ I personally think milk itself is too sweet so I'm not sure how much i'm going to like any variation >.<

Originally posted by chesh
Just my. . . approximately 20 cents, really. *laughs* The most important thing is really to love yourself. That's what it's all about.

A penny saved is a penny earned. And 20 cents is even better. But truely, I think you made one of the best points yet.

Sarcasm-hime
07-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
There are countries in the world that eat diets like this as a way of life! But yeah, more variety is good.

Ya, seriously. Eating all veggies is hardly poisoning yourself. Many vegetables are an excellent source of calcium, vitamins, etc. Yes, it is harder to make sure you're getting enough protein and a balanced diet when vegan or vegetarian, but it is possible. What I eat is a diet leaning towards vegetarian, not cutting out meat or carbs or anything, just heavy on the veggies because a) I love them and b) it's healthier. I'd say I eat maybe 70-80% veggies (that includes rice, legumes, etc.).

The Atkins diet SCARES me. I don't see how any diet which involves causing yourself to be massively malnourished in order to lose weight can be a good thing. Your body needs a *balance* of all food groups. Yeah, cutting out one of those groups will cause you to lose weight, but it's because your system is out of whack. As was mentioned earlier, as soon as you go back to a normal balance of foods, the weight will come back.

To be successful, a real diet can't be something you do for a few months to lose weight and then go back to the way you used to eat. If you're serious about losing weight and keeping it off, you must change your eating and exercise habits *permanently*.