PDA

View Full Version : Kyo MACABRE outfit

Starlit Rose
07-23-2003, 11:35 PM
This year a friend and I are attending Cinncinati's SugoiCon (November)(anyone else going? *hopeful gleam*), and this is my first con ever. I'll be cosplaying our lovely Dir en Grey's Kyo in his MACABRE outfit. For those that don't know, this is what it looks like:

http://www.comprehensivekyo.com/Image%20Gallery/cwdata/193gigsoct2000vol183.html

http://www.comprehensivekyo.com/Image%20Gallery/cwdata/129arenaoct2000vol217.html

http://www.comprehensivekyo.com/Image%20Gallery/cwdata/286cddataoct52000vol12no17.html

Any tips and pointers? Make-up hints? (I never wear make-up @.@; )Yay for me, I've already found some nice cheap platforms, so there's a starter. ^^; I plan to dye my own hair, rather than use a wig as well.

chesh
07-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Well, you should be able to buy the shirt and make some really simple sleeve extensions/hand covers to go under the jacket, and you should be able to buy good pants for it, though you'll have to sew all those buttons on, and you may have to do a little alteration to make them fit just right. The jacket, however, will definitely take a modified pattern (for the double collar if nothing else). There should be something good lurking in the pattern section of your local JoAnn's or Hancock's. Just remember that the shape of a collar is immensely easy to alter -- they're just flaps stuck to the neck of a shirt or coat, so you can really make them almost any shape you want, as long as you don't change how they attach to the rest of the garment. And remember to fit it and refit it until it's perfect *before* you put the lining in. (made me want to scream when I realized that it didn't fit right and I would have to take the entire lining out to fix it. Argh.)

Condition your hair really really really really well after you bleach it. Splurge on some hot oil treatments and some leave-in conditioner. Fried hair can look o-so-very ugly (weird yellow fro hair!). For eyeliner, I'd recommend Jane's Gliding Liner, as it's cheap and works really really well.

Good luck on the costume. I'm so amazed that you found good platforms for it. That is awesome.

shiroi_yukiko
07-24-2003, 03:02 PM
My friend just did a MACABRE Kyo, so here is what I learned:

1. You -could- just buy the shirt, but if you look at the actual one, it's very different from your average button-down shirt. The shirt itself makes a sort of... ermmm, "<" shape (like that arrow, that's what I'm trying to say!) and there are about a gazillion buttons down it. Also, one side of the collar is longer than the other.

2. The jacket! Chesh mentioned the 2 collars, but there's also this sailor-collar-style bit that hangs down in the back.

I hope that helps! ^^

BloodDragonW
07-24-2003, 05:41 PM
hmm, the shirt and pants you should be able to buy, and then all you might have to do is add a few things to the pants. The Jacket looks easy to make...

Moogle Hiromi
07-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Macabre's outfit is my favourite. Kyo looks just so cute! XD XD XD I can't wait to see!
The fabric looks like a polyester with a sort of matte sheen to it. It would be nice if you could emulate that for only the coat even. But if you only wish to do the coat, then try that. It is light yet heavy fabric.... I have some of it I plan to make a blouse with. XD XD XD I hope you understand what I mean.

Starlit Rose
07-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks a ton you guys. ^_^ I'll keep everything in mind when I get started. Very helpful. :D But being the slow-poke that I am, I'm trying to see what Kyo's got going on with his white sleeves. Is the right sleeve just not so big with a closed coat cuff with the left sleeve really big with an open cuff? Or maybe the left sleeve is just unbuttoned? @.@;

Also, for those that have had a better look at his outfit, do you know if the buttons on the coat cuffs go through both sides of the cuff or just one (does that even make sense? x.x)? You know, like if it went through both sides it would decrease the room at the end of the sleeve because the buttons clamped the material closed...does THAT even make sense? *falls over* If it does, I'm wondering the same thing about the pants. ^^;

Oh, and lipstick. Do I need to use a red lipstick first and then the black or would natural lip color be better (with the black of course)? o.O;

Yes, Kyo's MACABRE outfit is my favorite too. XD I don't know why, but it's just so cool.

And I found the shoes at www.electriqueboutique.com . If you were wondering. The prices amaze me. o_o; The ones I'm getting are only $15. w00t :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, warumono, you picked an awesome name for your site. :D One of the best lines ever.

Moogle Hiromi
07-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Ohh the fabric is wool-like. I don't know where I got the polyester idea from, but I looked at a hi-res pic, and you could see the woolisms there.... *me slaps self in forehead* But others it does look polyester.... *so confused*

*Fires up her Macabre pics*

Anyway, I have put up a pic of Kyo minus the jacket, so you get to see the shirt only.

But I am very confused to what you mean about the buttons, and such. Do you just mean wether or not the sleeves are closed by the buttons, or if they are decorative, or what? Sorry, but maybe I could help if I knew. But then again, some people would have more experince withy the outfit. :P

Edit: I would use a darker pink lipstick. But definately paint it on.

Oh and that shoe shops looks good! I wonder if they will post overseas....

shiroi_yukiko
07-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Ah, I see what you mean about the jacket sleeves with the buttons and stuff. I think the buttons are just there for show and don't actually button onto the other side of the cuff. They don't appear to ever be buttoned at least... plus that would save you the trouble of making button holes.

About the shirt cuffs, the leftone is long, but it's finished (not all ragged). The right one is longer (long enough to cover his whole hand and more when he lets it) and all ragged and stuff. The cuffs don't button either.

Personally, I'd use red lipstick, then the black.

(^^ It is an awesome awesome line of gibberish. I usually use 2sadsexually as my SN for everything, but I didn't here for some reason!)

cutekawaii
07-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Make sure you get a woman's jacket pattern. The jacket has princess seams typically found on women's wear.

As for the buttons, you might as well just make regular buttons and holes, then you can open and close as neccessary.

Macabre_Kyo
07-29-2003, 12:16 PM
'Tis right, as warumono mentioned I did do the Macabre Kyo outfit. She has some photos of it up somewhere around here and at her website.
So, here is what I have to say about it: (this is what I observed)

I used a heavy black cotton material for the coat. There are 2 collars and a sailor 'bib' that hangs down in the back. The coat has princess seams and there are 3 big white buttons that go down the front (and 3 button holes as well). There are 2 big white buttons on the back of the coat too, right where you would put darts in the seams. The sleeves have 7 (I maybe be wrong I don't have the coat right here to check. There are some real photos of Kyo where you can count the buttons...if you care for crazy, insane, perfection...) smaller white buttons and there are no button holes there. The cuffs don't close.

I used a normal lighter cotton for the white shirt. I made the shirt. The left side of the collar is longer than the right side. The fron of the shirt has buttons that run all the way down it and there is a < shape to the front. It points off at the bottom into 2 points. The left sleeve is stiff and copies the coat cuffs (minus the buttons) and the right sleeve is tattered and loose.

I did buy some normal black pants that matched the coat shade of black (I needed to save some time) There are 14 (? could be wrong...you might want to check) white buttons (same size as on the cuffs) that run down each leg. There are also buttons that run along the slanted pockets in the front and the pocket flaps in the back.

I used white foundation and powder for my makeup. I'm pale anyway but it worked nicely. I used black eye lines (lots of it) and for the lips I used black eyeliner to color in my top lip and outline my bottom lip. I than filled in my bottom lip woth red lipstick.
I used my real hair to. I had warumono cut my hair into a nice layered mullet type-hair style and I would put a styling glue into it to help it puff up right and not look stiff and gross.

I got black gloves and a skull ring and a blue eyeball ring to go with the costume as well.

So, that's that. If you would like any more info you can always email me or something : kamijoanna@keromail.com

I hope that helped and i hope it all made sense...
Good luck to you, it's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be. ^-^

~ ishiko

Starlit Rose
08-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Wow, that helps me loads. ^_^ *sees that Ishiko doesn't seem to be active around here but hopes she comes back to read this...if not I'll email it* I can't really see where the double-collar starts and how it runs into the sailor-bib in the back. Could you describe that for me, or maybe draw a picture? XD

My shoes have arrived. X3 They're so fun...hehe. Anyhoo, Saturday I went by the mall to look for a pair of pants and a shirt (can't make it -_-; ). I didn't find any black pants with a very wide flare amazingly, but I did find a pretty good white shirt with long cuffs. I also remembered to get some black gloves, so I have them too. Woohoo! Just have to make that coat...O.o;

RichAyanami
08-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Hehe I found out halfway through Otakon that there was a sailor thing in the back... Where in the world did you guys find picures of the back... O.o I've never seen any out there... Anyways, I extended the left cuff with plain cloth and interfacing and stuff, and actually used gauze for the other cuff.. Btw, there are 12 buttons on either leg...

Um... in any case, listen to Ishiko XD

Starlit Rose
08-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by RichAyanami
Hehe I found out halfway through Otakon that there was a sailor thing in the back... Where in the world did you guys find picures of the back... O.o I've never seen any out there... Anyways, I extended the left cuff with plain cloth and interfacing and stuff, and actually used gauze for the other cuff.. Btw, there are 12 buttons on either leg...

Um... in any case, listen to Ishiko XD

Hehe, I didn't know about the sailor flap until I got the MACABRE tour DVD. You get a few backshots of him on there. XD

Gauze? That's an interesting idea!

Moogle Hiromi
08-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Yes! Gauze is awesome stuff! I got a whole heap from a reminants pile at my local fabric store..... so great....!

Macabre_Kyo
08-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Here:

http://www.geocities.com/shiroi_no_hana/scan.jpg

is a little quick sketch I drew of the back of the outfit...if anyone else cares to know. ^_~

~ishiko

Starlit Rose
10-20-2003, 08:28 PM
And a many many thanks to you, Ishiko, for all of your assistance. ^_^

Whee, long time no update. Welps, mumsy and I FINALLY got around to getting materials for my coat, and we found a pretty good pattern to go by (we can make alterations to it as we go). We cut the pattern, and since I have this Friday off of school, we'll get going on the sewing and get quite a bit done. Can't wait!

Also, I happened to find another white dress shirt when looking for something else, and I think it may work well for altering it to make it look like Kyo's with the buttons going straight down in the center and then vearing over to the left near the bottom. The shirt I found doesn't have any buttons, but instead has one small snap button in the middle, and there's extra material on the left side because it tied into a knot. Hope that made sense, hehe. Don't know how well it'll work out, but I thought we could give it a try. I'll let you know how that goes, haha.

Macabre_Kyo
10-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Thank you Kuroi Yokan! ^-^;
I am pleased to be of service. I can't wait to see how the costume turns out for you.

~ ishiko

Starlit Rose
10-29-2003, 10:15 PM
Mumsy and I have been working on it quite a bit since Friday, and we're almost finished! All we have left to do is put the buttons on the sleeves and finish putting buttons on the pants and we're done with the coat! I must say I'm very happy with how it looks, especially for it being my first time working with a needle! It's not perfect, but I've learned a lot in the process, and I think that at a later time I can change whatever I need to. ^_^ But for now, I'm happy with what is done and I'll keep it how it is. (The things that are bothering me are that the under flap in the back is too long, probably by about an inch or so, and the pants will need to have pockets added with buttons [store didn't have enough buttons!]) Oh yeah, and we got ribbon to tie around the neck. Mom and I will finish with the buttons tomorrow, so it'll be all ready for Halloween!

Kaede
11-06-2003, 04:54 PM
If you are uptight about making this costume excact, I found a pic of what Kyo's pants really look like!! *suprised*
http://www.geocities.com/butterflyumbrella/kyoim.html

Starlit Rose
11-06-2003, 09:27 PM
If you are uptight about making this costume excact, I found a pic of what Kyo's pants really look like!! *suprised*
http://www.geocities.com/butterflyumbrella/kyoim.html

Hehe, yeah, knew about the pockets. The suspenders too! It was funny how the pants I bought had detatchable suspender straps and didn't even realize it until after I tried them on (thought they were just straps like you see on several times of baggy jeans sometimes), which is cool. His seem to be detatchable too, because I've seen some pictures with those pants without the straps and some with. *random comment*

But I thank you. ^.^