PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing wigs... x_x;;

Kaje
09-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Eh... help? ^_^

Since silverish wigs are very hard to come by, especially straight ones, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dyeing white wigs to a nice silverish grey color...

I'm doing Riku from Kingdom Hearts, and need to know how people dye wigs... x_x;

Any help would be much appreciated *grin*

battlechaser
09-27-2002, 02:50 PM
my friend used a fabric softener(downy) on her wig (made of 'nylon-like' thingie) before applying spray paint on it. it has nice results.

Mei Lan Chang
09-27-2002, 11:35 PM
[i]

If only we could easily find wigs like this (http://www.goofybear.com/riku01.jpg) here in the US. [/B]

*lunges into her moniter attempting to capture the wig in the pic*

Yuna
09-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Acrylic die works for dieing wigs. Mix water in with the die (make sure it's acrylic) and brush it into the wig. However, this technique usually only works for dieing a lighter wig darker. I think, in your case, for Riku, a white or very light grey with would work just fine.

Kaje
09-28-2002, 07:07 AM
Thank you so much. I wanted to find a very light grey wig... but all I could find were dark grey wigs, with some black wig strands with them, for witch costumes and such. o.O;;;;

But, I think I'll go with the white. ^^

Adella
09-29-2002, 04:44 PM
well don't worry about it. In japan they just buy their costumes mostly. And they have their wigs made professionally for them.

Kaje
09-29-2002, 04:56 PM
*sighs* Doesn't that take out most of the fun in cosplaying? Experiencing ways you can make a costume, and showing it off? If you buy it... it just shows how much money you have I guess... *shrugs*

officer_fujita
09-30-2002, 09:38 PM
Kaje- yup, I agree. Half the fun in cosplaying comes from actually making the costumes yourself.

Ayaka
09-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Amphigory has a color they describe as being "silvery white", did you look there? I'm thinking of getting that color in the long style and cutting bangs into and dyeing it light blue for Inuyasha, since I can't find any wigs the color I want.

Kaje
09-30-2002, 10:02 PM
Holy crap... thanks... that is the EXACT color that I need.. ^_^

*hug* Thank you so much ^^

Ayaka
09-30-2002, 10:56 PM
lol something good has come of my spending ridiculous amounts of time online looking at wig sites. ^^ You are welcome. ^^

Rosiel
10-01-2002, 09:15 AM
Amphigory wigs are not /silvery/ white! They are actually whitewhite. Unless you're in low lighting.

This is the color, in the shade (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=4367&papass=&sort=1)

If you want a silver color, you can get one by dyeing the white wig. I stumbled into it trying to get my wig light blue. LOL.

Ayaka
10-01-2002, 12:10 PM
Hey! *pokes Amphigory with a stick* Well, either way, I'm gonna be dyeing . . . any advice on how you did the light blue, Rosiel, would be appreciated. ^^

Rosiel
10-01-2002, 01:58 PM
> any advice on how you did the light blue, Rosiel, would be appreciated.

Light blue is an ART. LMAO.

Basically you need to get rit dye, liquid kind, in their dark denim color. Use ALL of it (i.e. more than you should need). Heat the water. Make sure it's not too hot (i.e. won't melt the wig) then dunk the wig, stir, take out. Rince to have desired color but NOT until it runs clear because then you will have achieved *drumroll* silver. When the wig is the right color, hang to dry.

This doesn't tangle nearly as much as the acrylic method and the hair won't stick together.

Brush once it is dry.

If you rinced off too much color, then dunk it back.
This is the result (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=5877&papass=&sort=1)

You will want to avoid rain, though, or your wig could bleed.

Kaje
10-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Thank you, Rosiel-san! Very much appreciated.

Oiya, by the way! *blink*Eh... I'll just e-mail you...o.o

Kaje
10-01-2002, 02:21 PM
Eck, I can't figure out a way to e-mail you... x_x;

Rosiel
10-01-2002, 02:43 PM
The first part is rosiel, then the @ then angelsanctuary.com
I write it out because I am deathly afraid of spam gathering spiders and that addy is as of now spam-free!

Ayaka
10-01-2002, 11:12 PM
Ooh now it doesn't sound so scary. Thank you very much! ^^ That should make for a pretty good Inuyasha shade! Now all I have to do is figure out how to accomplish the "secret" part of that costume . . .

Rosiel
10-02-2002, 09:59 AM
> Now all I have to do is figure out how to accomplish the "secret" part of that costume . . .

If you need to brainstorm about anything, you can email me, I'll be glad to help and not tell. ^___^

Space Invader
10-02-2002, 01:17 PM
This dying thread is so helpful! For my Tama wig I'll have to get it silvery-grey, and this should work. Thanks!