PDA

View Full Version : Adiane (Gurren Lagann) Tail

Emu
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
My brain is about ready to explode trying to figure out how to make this work. I need to make Adiane's tail (http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/gurrenlagann/chara/images/adiane.gif), but it seems like most people use styrofoam balls. The problem with that is that they cost $15 a ball for the large size here, and with the amount I'd need to make her tail, it'd probably cost me over $100, which is an insane amount of money for what it is. So my question to all you freaking awesome propmakers is. . . does anyone know how to construct perfectly spherical and smooth balls for a reasonable price?

I was toying around with the idea of paper mache, but I'm afraid it wont come out smooth or round enough even if I sand it. I also thought about spraypainting white beachballs, but if I deflated them, the paint would crack, right? >_< Is there a way to do this and do it right??? Any advice or new ideas (especially!) are appreciated!

LadiesMan217
01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I would still say styrofoam balls would be the best way to go, but its true that the cost can add up. Papier mache might work for the shape and size, but I think it would be pretty heavy.

To be honest, I would save up for the styrofoam. Check around online. This site sells 6" balls for pretty cheap. http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG0003132&sid=google&cm_mmc=google-_-cpc-_-ward-_-styrofoamballs&gclid=CIv3udrro5gCFQu-GgodGwZmoA

PhantasmaJun
01-23-2009, 12:41 AM
you could use paper lanterns they are pretty darn cheap just find a way to keep them open and in the round shape then connect them together add a craft foam spike at the end wrap in tape and spray paint thats the best I can come up with right now with no coffee and zero sleep XD . hope that helps a little and I cant wait to see pics when your done!

Rawrchu
01-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Newspapers then covered with something? Pretty lightweight!

Emu
01-23-2009, 03:31 PM
@LadiesMan: Thanks for the website! I think I might test out paper mache this weekend, but if worse comes to worse, I guess I may have to give in and get the styrofoam. . .

@PhantasmaJun: How would you smooth over the folds on the lanterns though? I was trying to find a way to make a frame like that and cover it with something, but wont everything droop in?

@Rawrchu: Do you mean like a ball of newspapers. . . ? I think that'd be pretty much the equivalent of paper mache though, minus the mache. XD

Thanks for the suggestions! ^^

phaedrus
01-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Balloons! Granted that's practically inviting the baser element to impinge upon the structural integrity of the prop.

Thessjam
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Balloons! Granted that's practically inviting the baser element to impinge upon the structural integrity of the prop.

I think paper mache-ing balloons could work if you didn't cover the whole balloon. That would reduce the ellipsoid shape of the balloon. As for the smoothness of the ball, you could smooth out the paper mache with gesso, which comes in gallon tubs I believe. The gesso would fill in the bumps and cracks, and then you would sand it to smooth it out. The gesso is also a great primer for the paint job that would come after. Finish up the paint with shellac or some other finish if you need it shiny.

Also, if you used perfect spheres, you'd only have a small point connecting them in the tail, which wouldn't be very stable. The incomplete-ellipsoid idea might actually mimic the overlapping plates of the scorpion tail better than perfect spheres because they would have that larger contact area.

Shellac is a natural polish that's supposedly very shiny and very fast drying. I've never used it before so I can't tell you how easy it is to use or how expensive it is, but I can tell you that I'm planning on using it for my props this year.

Emu
01-24-2009, 11:04 PM
I think paper mache-ing balloons could work if you didn't cover the whole balloon. That would reduce the ellipsoid shape of the balloon. As for the smoothness of the ball, you could smooth out the paper mache with gesso, which comes in gallon tubs I believe. The gesso would fill in the bumps and cracks, and then you would sand it to smooth it out. The gesso is also a great primer for the paint job that would come after. Finish up the paint with shellac or some other finish if you need it shiny.

Also, if you used perfect spheres, you'd only have a small point connecting them in the tail, which wouldn't be very stable. The incomplete-ellipsoid idea might actually mimic the overlapping plates of the scorpion tail better than perfect spheres because they would have that larger contact area.

Shellac is a natural polish that's supposedly very shiny and very fast drying. I've never used it before so I can't tell you how easy it is to use or how expensive it is, but I can tell you that I'm planning on using it for my props this year.Yeah, I thought about the balloon and the gesso too, I just hope it stays fairly smooth. I want to string/connect them with fishing line, so the small touching surface area isn't that big of a deal. And shellac should shine it up nicely (never used it on gesso before but I don't think there'd be any reason why it wouldn't). I'm going to try the paper mache/gesso tomorrow; I'll update here on how that goes! Thanks! ^^