PDA

View Full Version : Foam Wigs!

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Ok..here's some questions about them and all that...

1. How are they made? This has boggled my mind for a while..ok, not that long!

2. How do you think they look with a costume? In my opinion...well, i don't really have one...

Thanx loads!

the_tennyo
07-25-2003, 04:55 AM
whats a foam wig?

carly579
07-25-2003, 11:38 AM
I"ve often wondered how they make them too. Basically it's a wig made of foam. Mostly used for crazy hair styles. i've seen lotsa ryoko and DBZ foam wigs, I think they're all right, but I prefer the look of "real" hair ^_^

!*Jessi-Chan*!
07-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Yeah, i prefer real hair too! BUT some styles are just WAY too crazy for real hair....

Sarcasm-hime
07-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Frankly, some styles don't *look* like real hair. So in those cases I lean towards using alternate methods of construction, like foam.

Dia
07-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I made my Ryoko wig out of upholstery foam, cut with an electric carving knife and shaped with the knife and scissors. I then attached all the spikes to a papier mâché mold of my head (made over a bald cap) with lots of hot glue.

I'm rather partial to them (understandably ^^) for some styles, but generally, I prefer real wigs. However, Ryoko's is just so friggin' huge I thought it better to use foam, and I'm quite happy with the result.

evaneko
07-28-2003, 09:07 AM
Dunno how to make them but I think that, while I prefer the real hair/ wig look, in some cases they are much more appropriate. Some styles LOOK like they should be made of not hair, but foam-type stuff.

strychnine
09-08-2003, 02:41 PM
I made my Ryoko wig out of upholstery foam, cut with an electric carving knife and shaped with the knife and scissors. I then attached all the spikes to a papier mâché mold of my head (made over a bald cap) with lots of hot glue.

I'm rather partial to them (understandably ^^) for some styles, but generally, I prefer real wigs. However, Ryoko's is just so friggin' huge I thought it better to use foam, and I'm quite happy with the result.

Wow, that Ryoko hair looks amazing! How did you get it to stay on your head!?!?

Dia
09-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Oh, thank you ^^ The papier mâché mold fits quite snugly (it's a bitch to get on), so that mostly keeps it in place. It does tend to slide back a bit if I wear it for too long, but it mostly does pretty well on its own.

strychnine
09-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh, thank you ^^ The papier mâché mold fits quite snugly (it's a bitch to get on), so that mostly keeps it in place. It does tend to slide back a bit if I wear it for too long, but it mostly does pretty well on its own.

Did you buy the foam that blue color? I'm guessing not, so how did you paint it? It looks great ^_^

Dia
09-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Nah, it came in this hideous shade of minty green. I used spraypaint for it, but I used the small cans that are made for models and whatnot (those were the only I could find the right color in), so it took something like 4 cans O_o

Reno_kun
09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
i wan't to buy or make a lupin wig..how would i do that.

strychnine
09-11-2003, 05:05 AM
Nah, it came in this hideous shade of minty green. I used spraypaint for it, but I used the small cans that are made for models and whatnot (those were the only I could find the right color in), so it took something like 4 cans O_o

Lol...well that's dedication for you...obviously it went well..you inspire me! ^_^

I styled my Yuna FFX-2 wig, and it turned out pretty good. The only thing I just realized...it's a cheap wig, the hair is blond and my black hair will show right through it...ack! I'm finding different ways to fix tht, it should be all good.

So what gave you the idea for how to make the hair? If I'm asking too many questions, just tell me to zip it...lol

carly579
09-11-2003, 01:36 PM
dia, just wanted to say great wig! I'm doing a "real" hair Ryoko and can't get it to look right. So I'm using your foam wig as a model to work from. It's really hard to work from the 2-D pics of her. I've gotten the best results from 3-D renderings people have done. Your wig should help me add the final touches ^_^

Dia
09-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Carly - I saw the costume you're doing, and you are much braver than I ^^ Best of luck! If you have any questions on mine, or need photos of other views, don't hesitate to ask.

shmonkers
09-11-2003, 07:46 PM
That wig looks awesome! But what's even better is the idea of using an electric knife!

*takes notes*

Dia
09-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Oh, trust me, it's a big help. It's perfect for making the basic cuts - I first tried with a normal knife and that got NOWHERE.

Volksen
09-25-2003, 02:28 AM
Dia- What did you use to attach the spikes to the cap?

I previously made a foam wig for Yamcha in the same style and used Hot Glue. I am about to begin making one for Cloud and was just curious as to whether there is a better method.

*edit- just reread and saw where you mentioned hot glue :)
Have you ever had a problem with the glue becoming soft or the foam coming off after a long day. Most of the cons I will be attending are in the south and its hot so the hot glue might be a problem.

Asuka_Eva_Pilot
10-18-2003, 04:15 PM
wow thats reaaly good Dia! Someone gave me a link to this thread because Im haveing trouble trying to make Yami Malik Hair! She reccomenned using foam to make it so now I think I will have to try what you did. His hair is just to crazy to style with a wig >.< lol

Dia
10-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Actually, a friend of mine used foam to make a Yami Yugi wig, and it worked quite well, so you should definitely try it ^_^

Sarcasm-hime
10-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Dia- What did you use to attach the spikes to the cap?

I previously made a foam wig for Yamcha in the same style and used Hot Glue. I am about to begin making one for Cloud and was just curious as to whether there is a better method.

*edit- just reread and saw where you mentioned hot glue :)
Have you ever had a problem with the glue becoming soft or the foam coming off after a long day. Most of the cons I will be attending are in the south and its hot so the hot glue might be a problem.

Regular low-melt hot glue can be a problem in hot weather, so be sure to use high-temperature hot glue (you'll need a high-temperature or dual-temperature gun). And be careful, as that stuff can really burn you. -.-;; <--speaks from experience