PDA

View Full Version : Alucard Hellsing jacket help

blackcat523
02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok, I've run into an issue. I'm making the red trench coat he wears.

jacket pic (http://membres.lycos.fr/unrealfada/hh/alucard01.JPG)

I've been searching all over for good reference pictures of the back of the jacket, and this is what I can find but it doesn't help me. I can see the flares that come off his shoulders, but does it carry around to a separate piece to his back (as a back flap) or are the ruffles only on the shoulders?

I'm making the jacket for a cosplay and I want it to be accurate, but with so many limited photos of his backside, it's hard to tell. I've seen some cosplayers do the back flap, some don't. Which is right?

This is my first time making a trench coat. I've ripped apart a trench that has the same general look of the trench he wears, except for the shoulder ruffles. So I'm in the process of mocking them up to make them look right. Any suggestions on a general shape would be great.

NinjasDontFear
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Seems to only be on the shoulders. I would make it like a ruffled skirt, almost-pleated-like shape. Over-lap it and sew it at the top, on the shoulders, almost like pleats, but only a few centimeters so it still looks ruffly at the bottom.
I'm not to sure on the shape, but maybe like a rounded end for the bottom ruffled part.

Hope I helped some, the best way to figure something out it to keep trying until you get it right.
:]

Christycard
02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
For mine, I did have a cape flap on the back, but it wasn't connected to the flaps on the shoulders. They were three separate flaps. And were kind of hard to sew together!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1026959/

The reference pic we used was a shot from the first OVA, which for some reason isn't on my computer anymore...

blackcat523
02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks. I'm working on the jacket, hat, and making the vest instead of trying to buy them. *I find if I make the outfit I'm much more comfortable wearing it*

I've already got a good idea for the hat, it was the jacket back that was stumping me. I think I have the shoulder pieces figured out and I've got a lead on how to do the guns.

Dragula
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
It really depends on the version of Alucard you are shooting for. If your going for the anime version the flaps are only on the shoulders, but if you are going for the OVA version its all the way around but at the center in the back there is a V split in it, and if your going for the manga version its all the way around with no break

blackcat523
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks! That's a large help. I'm sorry I'm not so specific on which one I was going for. I just wanted to see if there was a major difference. It seems there is. Now to decide which version I really want to do and go that route. I'll prob end up doing the manga version since the coat I cut apart does have the back flap. I just have to mock up the shoulder flaps.

Schuldig_
02-06-2009, 03:01 AM
Technically, the manga version would be the most canon, even though Hirano never really bothered being too consistent with certain details (such as buttons, pockets, hair length... the minor stuff). If you end up going for the OVA version, which is more canon that the anime, I guess, I have some sketches somewhere that might help. Feel free to PM me with your e-mail addy if you want them. ;)
I can't wait to see the costume.

blackcat523
02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Well the way I look at it. I can go alot of ways with it. I'll have to see how the jacket goes together to see what looks best with the pattern I have.
Usually one of our group decides on a group cosplay every year. We are on our 3rd year cosplaying, and the choice was made to do Hellsing. Since Integra, Rip and Scrodinger were chosen, I got Alucard (to even out good/evil). I personally was never big in the series, but the rest of the group is. They did what I chose the first year of our cosplay group, so we keep it fair by letting another member choose the new cosplay outfits for the year.