PDA

View Full Version : Chun Li and Satin Fabric

Fong
02-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Hello everybody!

I need some sincere input here, because I feel like I'm in a pretty big catch-22.

For an upcoming convention, I have rested my laurels and hopes on being Chun Li. The problem is, I can't find someone with enough background to give me a professional opinion about what type of fabric to use.

What I believe *most* people use for Chun Li's quipao is a satin-y shimmery fabric. I truly believe that something of that nature is more true-to-form, but I HATE the way it looks in pictures...especially with the flash, ugh! It looks so cheap. And I don't think anybody can ever get it to appear form-fitting, even if it is. I feel like, no matter how badass your satin is, and no matter how much you pay for it, it will always wind up looking terrible in pictures.

I have seen others go with a more cotton-esque approach. I feel like that would look better in pictures, but it would dull it down a little also. It's also not quite as accurate, in my opinion.

I suppose these are my questions: What would you do? Are there any other avenues I could take?

Here's a reference pic (http://arcade.svatopluk.com/street_fighter_2/chun-li_capcom_vs_snk.jpg)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Katsumiyo
02-03-2009, 02:15 AM
Why don't you meet in the middle and use duchess/bridal satin? It still has a little sheen and shiny quality, but it's not nearly as fearsomely shiny as costume satins. It's more of a dull sheen.
http://www.thehouseofcanney.com/goldgown1.jpg
This is duchess satin. It's shiny without being too in-your-face, and the darker and lighter colors (like the dark blue of Chun Li's outfit) aren't as shiny as the midtone colors.
I hope I helped you. ;^;

Fong
02-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Why don't you meet in the middle and use duchess/bridal satin? It still has a little sheen and shiny quality, but it's not nearly as fearsomely shiny as costume satins. It's more of a dull sheen.
http://www.thehouseofcanney.com/goldgown1.jpg
This is duchess satin. It's shiny without being too in-your-face, and the darker and lighter colors (like the dark blue of Chun Li's outfit) aren't as shiny as the midtone colors.
I hope I helped you. ;^;

You know, honestly, I did think of that. Stupid question: bridal fabric is like a billion dollars a yard, isn't it?

Any any event. I suppose I would be willing to trade up, as long as it wouldn't wind up looking crappy in the end. If I'm really careful I could probably only get away with buying 4-5ish yards. (I tend to need a looooot of excess XD).

Thanks for your suggestion, though!

PS, I just added a reference pic because I realized I forgot.

Katsumiyo
02-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Oh, goodness no. You can get it in the Casa collection at JoAnn for like $7-$10 a yard. A lot of online places have it for around there or cheaper. And it comes in so many colors, so if JoAnn doesn't have what you need, you can try online stores like Fashion Fabrics Club, too.
And I really doubt it'd end up looking crappy, as long as you finish the edges.

MischaU
02-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I tried making mine in satin and it was slippery nightmare adding all the bias binding*, so I switched to cotton. I don't regret it- It looks bright and chrisp.

Good luck!

(*this probably says more about my lack of skill then anything!)

Fong
02-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I tried making mine in satin and it was slippery nightmare adding all the bias binding*, so I switched to cotton. I don't regret it- It looks bright and chrisp.

Good luck!

Yeah. That's another thing I failed to mention: Satin slides.

I did actually wind up buying blue costume fabric, which is really satin-y, but I plan on using the opposite side. It's a lot more dull, but still holds a moderate shimmer to it.

Demon Doll
02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Good luck!

I agree, mine is out of the same stuff.
But in the end, it's worth it.
I stiched down the white belt in the middle so it wouldn't slide on either side. (hip/side kind of area) and had the back together by vel-crow so I can unzip and get in and out of it.