PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuracy in cosplay

SaishouYuki
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Has anybody ever had health problems that have caused them to change their cosplay outfits?
I have to wear an eyepatch over my left eye permanently, and so when i cosplay, they all end up having a somewhat piratey flavour to them. I was wondering what sort of issues other people have like this?

kuroi_shi
02-08-2009, 08:03 PM
.. there are so many eyepatchy anime characters you could do... Look into CLAMP stuff.. they have a thing for half blind male characters... (Specifically in Tsubasa, xxx-holic, and x/1999) .. You could also look into characters with sunglasses.. Those would easily cover an eyepatch..

... Anyway.. I don't have any health problems that interfere with cosplay O.O.. Though because of a mild form of scoliosis, I might have to start wearing corsets to prevent it from getting worse (It's not bad enough yet for proper medical treatment, like surgery..)... So, I'll have to incorporate corsets into my costumes.. Which shouldn't be too hard.

Lomelindi88
02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
D'aw, that's kinda cool! You could always do movie! Roy Mustang as well. He's the only one with an eyepatch that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm legally blind in one eye (you can't tell though =_=; It's a weird brain disorder) so my doctor has more or less banned me from wearing contacts because there's just too much risk involved if I have to touch my remaining good eye. So, unfortunately, I'm stuck playing dark-eyed characters. (Usually. Most people don't seem to care about the eye color too much if the rest of you is accurate. :))

MissLauren
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
.. there are so many eyepatchy anime characters you could do... Look into CLAMP stuff.. they have a thing for half blind male characters... (Specifically in Tsubasa, xxx-holic, and x/1999)

... Anyway.. I don't have any health problems that interfere with cosplay O.O.. Though because of a mild form of scoliosis, I might have to start wearing corsets to prevent it from getting worse (It's not bad enough yet for proper medical treatment, like surgery..)... So, I'll have to incorporate that into my costumes.. Which shouldn't be too hard.

I actually had scoliosis from the ages of 7-11. I wore the plastic back brace, but it didn't help. My spine went from a 40, to 70 degree curve before they put in steel rods inside of my spine when I was 11. My spine is now at a 40 degree curve, and while it may make my clothing look wonky on me, it's something that's out of my control, much like the eyepatch. Just work with it, and most people will be understanding!

EgnirysFaye
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
All I have is pretty much surgical scars - though not horribly a huge deal since they can be concealed. Other then that just have to drink all the time and eat well, and required to go to the bathroom on a regular basis, so really have to watch myself during a con weekend.

(Kidney disease from birth)

ShinobiXikyu
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Just glasses that I'm stuck with until I can finally get an eye appointment to see if I can wear contacts or not, and really hideous teeth due to both genetics and a phobia of dentists (never had any cavities, but I'm beyond the point where braces would fix things)...glasses I either can take off for photos of cosplay characters with them, and though I'm insecure as all hell with the dental issue, most don't seem to mind or don't point it out since I can't really do anything about it. I just don't open my mouth in photos:P. I also have Asperger's Syndrome, so though I don't have any actual medical conditions from it restricting my cosplay I'm really sensitive/twitchy/fidgety to what I wear and prefer to avoid really bulky, really elaborate/constricting or weather-inappropriate cosplays, and any scratchy material.

SiriusLoveGirl
02-08-2009, 09:53 PM
My right eye is really terrible, so if I were to ever wear an eye-patch it'd have to be on that side no matter what side the character wore it on or I wouldn't be able to see very well at all. >_> It's not as permanent as your situation, but it still effects what I'd have to alter...

Benihime78
02-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm a shorty- just under 5 feet, so people often nab me for being a bit small(oh well, I'm just chibi). I also lack the bust to pull off many female characters that I like and have a couple of surgical scars, so I'm reluctant to do any skimpy cosplays.

And for some eyepatch characters that you could cosplay- there's Kyuubei, "Space Captain" Katsura, and Takasugi from Gintama and Noitora and Kenpachi from Bleach.

Syphon
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I think that inaccuracy in a costume due to laziness on the part of the creator is one thing, but if it's due to a medical condition, it's something totally different. Then, it's not an inaccuracy so much as just something you wear, default. If your cosplay happens to accompany that, that's great. If you can hide it with the outfit, or a wig, or a prop, that's great too. However, it wouldn't stop me from doing an outfit I really would want to do. Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Kenmichi
02-09-2009, 12:52 AM
In some cases it might be interesting to incorporate a change like that into a costume. Taking the eye patch for example, while there are plenty of well known characters with eye patches (The Fuhrer from FMA) covered eyes (Kakashi from Naruto), it would be neat/different to see a character normally without an eye patch with one. Then the person can incorporate the injury to their character, especially if it fits. Like a training injury, a sparring match gone wrong, or for a character who is known to either fight constantly or for getting beat up easily and often.

moogles1989
02-09-2009, 01:10 AM
hmm all i have are surgical scars and my excema.....the scars i hide easily cus theyr in my abdominal area and i dont wear midriffy things...cus honestly no one wants to see me in a midriff exposing outfit it would be wrong....(lol faaaaaaaaaat....seriously im fat) but my excema is another thing....i tend to avoid skirts (it i cant pull off leggings or tights with it) cus the back of my left knee is really bad....its like a whole different color like bright red....and i alrs avoid anythign that will have me in sleevless tops cus my underarms have the same condition....it weird cus my excema will only afftect certain places like the back of my left knee my underarms and odly enough on my scalp....so generallt the only costumes ill wear have sleeves and i can wear tights with thm if theres a skirt involved....

alex182
02-09-2009, 02:54 AM
Cosplaying to your body is really important IMO, and if you've got something distinctive (eyepatch, back problems, etc) then incorporating it into your costume actually brings you a few extra notches up in my book. I have the luxury of only having the problem that I'm a really big guy ( 6'6", 315) so as long as I pick someone large, I'm OK. I think if I had an eyepatch, I'd look into characters that wear patches or masks. Skin problems or scars? Characters who just got the krap beat out of them and are wearing bandages. It's just a matter of working with your body.

Schuldig_
02-09-2009, 04:31 AM
In addition to what alex182 is saying, you could always make the patch part of the costume regardless of whether the character you've chosen has one or not; perhaps getting some extra patches you can decorate/colour to match the costume? That way, you can make something fun and interesting out of it instead of worrying about it. I can see why you'd want to stick to characters with an eyepatch (if you need further suggestions, there's always Farfarello from Weiss Kreuz...), but I wouldn't limit myself to it if I were you. I doubt very much anyone would call your eyepatch an inaccuracy.

(For fun, and to show what can be done even with larger hindrances, here's one of my favourite cosplayers of all time... http://lyn.50megs.com/katsucon10/imperialwalker.jpg (sign says "Imperial Walker".)

Akira Reborn
02-09-2009, 04:48 AM
I mainly got a scar on my bottom lip which isn't too noticeable.

However, I don't I have any health issues which effect cosplaying...

Inaccuracy due to health issues is a different story in my opinion...

I only need to watch myself doing compicated poses. I have to limit myself otherwise I'd hurt myself. I'm pretty weak and have weak muscles.

If I practice, then it's not too bad. It kinda works. But everyone practices cosplay poses don't they?

I have bad bones also XD. They make cracking noises alot.

Sisshi
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I got a bum knee, and horribly weak ankles. I have to sacrafice accurate shoes to prevent my hips and back and knees and everything from suffering for months later. The shoe has to have some form of support otherwise I have problems.

I wear glasses, can't afford contacts and can't afford to walk around without them on lest I cause my left eye to mess up on me. I originally only had glasses to correct a slight lazy eye and now I have to wear them all the time becaue my eyes just suck.

And I have braces...though that's just a matter of cosplaying someone that doesn't smile >.<

So_Scary
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
As it's been said, I don't really think should count against anyone if there's a medical condition or something that prevents them from looking totally in-character. But if the person has nothing wrong with them and it just appears that they're lazy then that's something else completely :)

No real problems here thankfully^^

SaishouYuki
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
thank you everyone ^^
I'll look at more eyepatch-wearing characters, but i wont let it stop me cosplaying who i want~

Kazephyr
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't have any serious medical problems that show, but I do have a lot of issues with my back, for some reason that has yet to be diagnosed. o_0;; Plus, I tore a muscle in my shoulder, which has made things A LOT worse, and isn't completely clearing up after five times the estimated recovery period (and my doctor just ignores it... -_-;; ).

Long story short, I'll be very sore if I bind for a considerable length of time, and I can only wear certain, strapless bras painlessly. Most of the time I just tough it out, but that's really not much fun. :/ I've developed an intense love for costumes that involve some kind of support system inside the shirt/dress itself...

Anyway, definitely don't let something you have to wear for medical reasons stop you from cosplaying who you want. :) It's awesome if you can incorporate it into the costume, but if you can't, don't worry about it. ^_^

xAprilairx
02-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a skin condition known as plaque psoraisis. (http://www.psoriasis.org/about/psoriasis/plaque.php) It is most inconvenient since I cannot completely stop it, nor do I know where or when it'll break out.
Ex) Morning of the Con I found a nice patch right on my hand.

Some of you may find this a bit icky or disturbing, and I mean this with the utmost respect, but it happens, I didn't ask for this, nor am I going to give it to you by looking at you long enough.Thankfully, most people seem to understand this and get over it, so there's hope that someday I can wear a very skank :geek: *giggle snort* outfit of Roxas and not freak out the weeks before about my condition. (<- Kidding) Recently, I've met a few other skinnies (psoraisis folk :) ) at a convention and they gave me a few tips and such, one being, "I love it when they talk about my costume. I's aggravating when they flame it. But what I really hate is when they ignore my craftsmanship and go straight for me. Then they aren't really here for the cosplay, are they?"

Alas, some people will see it and imediatley judge you for it, others will acknowledge and get over it, and a few will even ignore it completely ^^.

My point is, you can't change some things so why not use them to your advantage? I plan to cosplay a zombie this summer psoraisis and all. Try recreating that, you make-up artists! :cool:

Tigress
02-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm legally blind in one eye (you can't tell though =_=; It's a weird brain disorder) so my doctor has more or less banned me from wearing contacts because there's just too much risk involved if I have to touch my remaining good eye. So, unfortunately, I'm stuck playing dark-eyed characters. (Usually. Most people don't seem to care about the eye color too much if the rest of you is accurate. :))

I have (had, doc said I didn't have it anymore at my last visit) astigmatism in my left eye. Since colored toric lenses cost $TEXAS, I just deal with all my characters having blue eyes. No one but the super-elitists care.

kuroi_shi
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
... I'm allergic to certain kinds of metal, so I have to be careful when looking for jewelry for costumes... Unfortunately, most stores have no idea at all if their jewelry contains nickel, (which is the metal that causes the fastest reaction for me) .. And many craft stores can't tell me if the metal stuff used to make jewelry contains nickel, so, if I can't make it out of plastic or glass beads, I usually don't wear jewelry accessories at all.

Deuce'N'Domino
02-11-2009, 02:14 AM
I don't have anything serious, but I wear glasses because I can't see without them. If I have them off, everything becomes blurry. I have no choice but to wear them as contacts cost a lot.

pocky_penguin66
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Just glasses for me and it really isn't a problem. I just take them off when people want pictures <3

Miya_Tachi
02-11-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm not sure I would say I have any medical conditions. The only thing is I'm very short, 4 8". And I know I'm not gonna get any taller since my mom's my height, my sister barely 5", and she gets that from my short dad xD So yea, I live in a short family. Because of it though, I can mostly only cosplay short, chibi/child-like anime characters.
I'm also super nearsighted. For instance, if having 20/20 vision is perfect, my eyes are literally -8/-9, my left eye being worse than my right, and I also have astigmatism. So glasses kind of restrict me too, though I do have contacts, I don't enjoy wearing them that much. I wore them so much the past year I got so tired over them X.X Glasses for me nao thanks.
Other than that though, I have a bunch of scars on my legs and arms from when I would scratch at my excema when I was younger. Really pale scars too, compared to my tan skin, so I'm a little fearful of wearing something revealing.

Though, getting to the main topic, as others in this thread has said, to be inaccurate due to laziness is one thing, but to be inaccurate because of a medical condition is a whole nother story. I think it's fine to just go and cosplay as whoever you see fit, as long as your comfortable with it, and not care what other people think. It's not your fault if you have something that prevents it from being 'perfect', and alot of people are very understanding over the matter. :] Just do what you want, that's what I say.

NearTheClear
02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a condition called vitiligo. It's where certain parts of your skin lose their color and you look like you have really white patches all over your skin. Mine really isen't that bad and just appears around my stomach and up my back.

So it prevents me from doing any stomach bearing cosplays like Misty and Yuffie. But I digress. I can probably cover it up with some kind of foundation and such. So the only other major problem is my glasses since my eyes are super sensitive to contacts.

:)

RabidXNinetails
02-17-2009, 12:02 PM
... I'm allergic to certain kinds of metal, so I have to be careful when looking for jewelry for costumes...

Put some clear nail polish on the metal bits! My cousin is allergic to certain metals as well and she always does that. It just keeps the metal from touching your skin.

And like some other people, I'm pretty short. That's my only real problem.

kuroi_shi
02-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Put some clear nail polish on the metal bits! My cousin is allergic to certain metals as well and she always does that. It just keeps the metal from touching your skin.

That actually works? O.O
I'll have to try it =D

han-pan
02-17-2009, 01:49 PM
That actually works? O.O
I'll have to try it =D

Alternatively, use gold jewelry and then coat it with silver nail polish and then clear nail polish. ^o^ It's a great alternative. I had big gold buckles and that's how I turned them silver <3

Allyieh
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM

NO WAY. AWESOME. ill have to do that next time. i havent worn earrings in two years, but i still hvae the holes. and i can only wear earrings for like, 10 minutes, because they irritate my earlobes. ill try this next time, thanks so much!