PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Edalyne
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Making a new thread for WoW cosplay. Blizzcon just got announced so Im betting more people with ideas for WoW cosplay are around...I hope :) So maybe we can share thoughts/ideas/progress of costumes here. :D (there are older threads...but they are...well, old)

Anyone else doing WoW Cosplays? Blizzcon or not?

Edit: I'm going as a Tier 2 Rogue. Go Bloodfang set :) Share your cosplays!

Also - If you're doing a cosplay thats something else Blizzard (Starcraft/diablo), join us! :)

Milkingit
02-21-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah I'm planing a Tauren Druid for Blizzcon. My girlfriend and I are flying down from Canada for it.

I'm not the most experienced Cosplayer, truthfully before I met my gf, I didnt even know what it was. I always made my Halloween costumes, and loved working on them. So once I found this site, with the knowledge in it. I was very appreciative.

I'm basing the mask off of matrices.net (http://matrices.net/maskmaking.asp) and her furry masks. Between that and this site I found here (http://www.komickrazi.com/costumes/tut1.html). I think I have a good handle on what to do.

I'm in the process of planning and I will be blogging/step by step what I'm doing as well with pictures. I will keep everyone updated.

Edalyne
02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Awesome! Do share updates ^.^

So, I still don't know what I want to do. I've decided I want to do something robe related. I love all the different robes in WoW! Which is funny since I don't like playing caster classes that wear them!

Anywho, I've made a list of potential robes for myself. Anyone have any input as to which would be the most recognizable? Or just which one would be nice to see? They're all level 80 since I want to do stuff from WoTLK

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43583
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44180
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40602#.
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40449#.

Milkingit
02-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Well every raider worth their salt pretty much knows the Glacial Robes since its almost required gear when starting Sapharrion, unless you were already over geared for Naxx.

Robes of Mutation are actually considered by some to be better then over all Tier 7.5 peices, my girlfriend is actually wearing them now instead of her Frostfire. Untill she can get 1 more piece for her set bonus.

And I'll be posting the pics of the Tauren Skeleton head as soon as my said gf wakes up. The pics are on her cell phone, and I'm at work, she said she'd email me them.

Edalyne
02-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Yea, its why I chose them. I just hit 80 recently and haven't raided yet (GRR SCHOOL). I know my robes tho...especially with gulid members running junk and linking their gear when it drops in g-chat :P

But I think I'm leaning towards the t7 priest set (Valorous Robe of Faith - last ref pic). However, thats ALOT of damn work! I would want to make it look like it does in the picture, with all the gold designs and other stuff. The Glacial Robes would be much easier :P

I really really like the looks of the Robes of Mutation, however, I'm not sure about showing off stomach. Well, its waist...since it looks like they go up high and cover alot of stomach. Its not much exposed really, especially compared to other robes which show off alot more skin, but I think I want to keep the outfit one piece, so yea...I'm gonna drop that. :P Yay! we're narrowing things down!

mermaiden
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I really wish I could make a Deathknight costume! I was a blood elf Warlock at last DragonCon (oh yeah, that's my avatar, hehe). Will probably wear it to a local con next month too. Was easy since all I needed to make was a dress. I'm nervous about DK armor though, lol!

Edalyne
02-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Oh my! I wouldn't know where to start with making armor. I was once going through a forum on making armor with wonderflex. It looks like the best way to make nice looking armor. Cept it would take ALOT of time and since you would need alot, I'm guessing costly too! Thats why I'm doing a clothy robe. :P Maybe I'll take a stab at wonderflex for my shoulders if i decide to do a pair of those...

Tonksie
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm going! I'm trying to decide if I want to do something easy, since I have to make 3 costumes in 6 months, or if I should go for it and do something challenging. If I shoot for challenging, I can always re-use my draenei costume from last year, but I'd prefer to do something different.

CDF_Vagabond
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm working on a Arthas Lich King outfit for next year I'm only about 25% done right now and I have already finished working on the helmet and sword

Madam Boss
02-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I've cosplayed WoW at blizzcon every year except this one! I'm doing something from StarCraft. And I totally haven't even started yet. Hahaha.

Edalyne
02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
I LOVED your whitemane Madam Boss!

So I decided I'm gonna challenge myself and do the Valorous Robe of Faith. I'll probably be one of 20 in them tho. I saw like 5 t7 priests walking around last blizzcon :P But the robes are so pretty! I just want to make them real. So i shall! I'll see if I'm up for crafting shoulders in the future. :P

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=-34#screenshots:id=113247

Madam Boss
02-25-2009, 01:19 AM
aaw thanks Edalyne ^^

Whitemane was my biggest cosplay challenge I think, but this year I'm going to top it XD I say who cares how many of something is, as long as you have fun making yours. Plus those robes ARE really pretty. I'd make them just to HAVE them. lol

Milkingit
02-25-2009, 06:29 AM
If you do Kerrigan, I think I might fall in love....

SvK
02-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm also here in the thread about WoW costumes to express my appreciation of StarCraft costumes.

Milkingit
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922264/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922263/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922262/

The Start of my Head, the pictures are bad quality with a cell phone. I really gotta pick up my digital camera from my mom.

Madam Boss
02-26-2009, 01:12 AM
If you do Kerrigan, I think I might fall in love....

Well there goes THAT surprise XD

Disaace
02-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah im making some WoW inspired gear too. I myself am going as a human in the Deadly Gladiator's Dreadplate set, but with just the Deadly Gladiator's Plate Helm since i think it works with the other theme, rather than the master chief lookin skull armor. Only pic i have is the completion of the helm, and ill get that up later.

midnight45
02-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm going to do a hunter in tier 7 armor for me, and a warlock in tier 5 for my boyfriend.

I'm good on pictures of the hunter, though I don't know where to start or how to do it. =[

I can't find any back or side pictures of the warlock, and I don't just want to make it up. Can anyone help? I've searched through google already with no luck.

Disaace
02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm going to do a hunter in tier 7 armor for me, and a warlock in tier 5 for my boyfriend.

I'm good on pictures of the hunter, though I don't know where to start or how to do it. =[

I can't find any back or side pictures of the warlock, and I don't just want to make it up. Can anyone help? I've searched through google already with no luck.

My suggestion? Download WoWModelViewer from wowmodelviewer.org.

im using that to make mine and its a godsend.

Edalyne
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922264/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922263/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1922262/

The Start of my Head, the pictures are bad quality with a cell phone. I really gotta pick up my digital camera from my mom.

What are you gonna use to make the rest? I'm kinda wondering cuz I imagine that head can become pretty heavy :P

midnight45
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM

I can't figure out which one to download, there are many listed on the page. =/

Tonksie
03-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I've decided to try my hand at plate... eek. My question is, I want to attach pieces to cloth (most likely something stretchy, like spandex or cotton lycra). I'm planning on using either craft foam, or wonderflex, depending on the area.

How on earth would I attach 'plate' pieces to cloth without dragging the fabric down?

squeekem68
03-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I really wish I could make a Deathknight costume! I was a blood elf Warlock at last DragonCon (oh yeah, that's my avatar, hehe). Will probably wear it to a local con next month too. Was easy since all I needed to make was a dress. I'm nervous about DK armor though, lol!

I am starting a DK costume, when I'm finished I will post pics and step by steps :)

squeekem68
03-02-2009, 10:36 AM

Model viewer is a great app, I have used it for some home brew wow music videos :)

Edalyne
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I've decided to try my hand at plate... eek. My question is, I want to attach pieces to cloth (most likely something stretchy, like spandex or cotton lycra). I'm planning on using either craft foam, or wonderflex, depending on the area.

How on earth would I attach 'plate' pieces to cloth without dragging the fabric down?

I would go to the general costume help or props and accessories forums. They have tutorials on making armor and stuff in both. I kinda browsed and didn't find anything about actually sewing it on. I actually found a tutorial on making the t2 pally set! lol. But it required belts and stuff for the armor, not sewing it on. But yea, sure you'd be able to find help there since there with armor and suggestions on if sewing it on is even possible and stuff.

Shaylyn
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Madam Boss, I LOVED your Whitemane!! You looked the part and performed perfectly.

I dressed up as the Season 3 Warrior last year with Cataclysm's edge. I was very new to the materials and techniques I used but I have learned a lot about them since then. Foamies foam sheets are AMAZING for lightweight "plate" armor. You can back them with cheesecloth to make them stiff and heat/reform them so they keep their shape. I used styrofoam and a wire skeleton to construct the shoulders last year.

This year my boyfriend and I are dressing up together (YAY I finally convinced him!). We're going as Lady Blaumeux and Sir Zeliek :) The costumes are fully planned and about 10% constructed. I picked these because they're pretty simple compared to Tier/Season armors and I want to be able to enjoy Blizzcon more without haing to stomp around in ridiculously heavy armor (it sersiously took me days to recover last year). I'm simulating the plate pieces using paper mache and cloth/foam coated with resin spray.

squeekem68
03-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Madam Boss, I LOVED your Whitemane!! You looked the part and performed perfectly.

I dressed up as the Season 3 Warrior last year with Cataclysm's edge. I was very new to the materials and techniques I used but I have learned a lot about them since then. Foamies foam sheets are AMAZING for lightweight "plate" armor. You can back them with cheesecloth to make them stiff and heat/reform them so they keep their shape. I used styrofoam and a wire skeleton to construct the shoulders last year.

This year my boyfriend and I are dressing up together (YAY I finally convinced him!). We're going as Lady Blaumeux and Sir Zeliek :) The costumes are fully planned and about 10% constructed. I picked these because they're pretty simple compared to Tier/Season armors and I want to be able to enjoy Blizzcon more without haing to stomp around in ridiculously heavy armor (it sersiously took me days to recover last year). I'm simulating the plate pieces using paper mache and cloth/foam coated with resin spray.

Curious about the shoulders....I was going to make a form to shape the plate shoulders and then use that spray foam called great stuff in the mold, after that sand and shape. Before paint I was going to add craft foam for detail, what ya think? I am curious about your idea!

Shaylyn
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Curious about the shoulders....I was going to make a form to shape the plate shoulders and then use that spray foam called great stuff in the mold, after that sand and shape. Before paint I was going to add craft foam for detail, what ya think? I am curious about your idea!

Ooh, so you'd sculpt, mold, and cast using the expanding foam? If you're going for detail and accuracy, that is an amazing idea! I chose to stay away from molding and casting because of inexperience at the time and the price, but the foam/wire almost impossible to give a smooth finish. Also, I couldn't manipulate it well enough to recreate some aspects of the shoulders. I don't suggest trying to make spheres with Foamies, but it was an easy to use medium for my arm bands, gloves, legs and chest piece. This tutorial here (http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html) teaches how to use foamies to make armor pieces like that if you'd rather not sculpt and mold every piece of your gear.

Craft foam, Sculpy, and 3D paint are definitely great choices for details :)

Thanks for pointing out the Great Stuff foam! You can buy that at Home Depot or Ace, right?

squeekem68
03-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Ooh, so you'd sculpt, mold, and cast using the expanding foam? If you're going for detail and accuracy, that is an amazing idea! I chose to stay away from molding and casting because of inexperience at the time and the price, but the foam/wire almost impossible to give a smooth finish. Also, I couldn't manipulate it well enough to recreate some aspects of the shoulders. I don't suggest trying to make spheres with Foamies, but it was an easy to use medium for my arm bands, gloves, legs and chest piece. This tutorial here (http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html) teaches how to use foamies to make armor pieces like that if you'd rather not sculpt and mold every piece of your gear.

Craft foam, Sculpy, and 3D paint are definitely great choices for details :)

Thanks for pointing out the Great Stuff foam! You can buy that at Home Depot or Ace, right?

I've done quite a bit of corpsing / corpsification and prop building for halloween so I kinda was forced into the casting and molding LOL! you would think I play I horde character LOL Great stuff foam can be bought just about everywhere, Home depot (The cheapest around 7 bux a can), Orchard Supply Hardware, ace and even the smaller stores like TruValue. I am going to start the forms this weekend, I really just need a good source for detailed screen shots, I may take a slightly diffrent spin on the shoulders like impale a skull on one of the spikes :P.

Shaylyn
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
What do you use when you model? Do you have an armature? What kind of clay do you use? I'm sculpting/molding/casting my weapon, but I'm pretty nervous about it!

Edalyne
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
So i decided I'm gonna make the shoulders for my cosplay. I went out and bought some craft foam the other day. I'm gonna experiment with it this weekend since I've n ever used it before. Hopefully things go ok. :P

Shaylyn
03-04-2009, 12:58 PM
That's so exciting! The shoulders really add a lot to the costume.

There are a few tips for how you could make the form of the Faith shoulders pretty easily with craft foam. Keep in mind that this is just a simple way of doing this but it can produce attractive results without too much work! It takes a piece of craft foam large enough to cover your whole shoulder, which might require two pieces glued together, but I just did it really quickly here at work with a piece of paper. For this you'd just cut some slits in the foam and then overlap them!

I put three pictures up :)

Picture 1: This one is really simple so I only did 4 slits, marked in black sharpie. I started the two inner ones from the same line (in pencil) and the two outer ones from a line a little farther back so the final product would look rounder.

Picture 2: I cut along each black line and then overlapped the paper. I just put tiny pieces of tape until I found out how much I needed to overlap to make it look round.

Picture 3: I put more tape and then trimmed the crazy edges of the paper to make the edge smooth and round.

It'd be a little different with craft foam, but still pretty simple :) Also, adding more slits can make it look rounder/give it better angles.

I'm bored on my break at work :P

Edalyne
03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Omg Shaylyn you dont know how helpful your explanation and pics are. Thanks a bunch! I wasn't sure where to really start with making them. :P I know you gotta heat craft foam to help shape it, but i wasn't sure how i should go about cutting a shape to even get it to look roundish. I know I can't just get a square and make it look like a shoulder piece. lol. Your pictures totally help with how to go about making them. :D /hug

Shaylyn
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I can't wait to see how they turn out! You should take pictures to keep us updated on how they're going :)

Edalyne
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Yea I totally will when I start. Unless they end up looking like blobs. :P
--
Ugh. I totally don't know where to start with my robes. Theres like 4 colors on them.... I bought some gold fabric today since it was on sale... But looking at the robes. IT seems that the bottoms gold is darker...and looks like it should be puffy? idk. It looks like its not supposed to be flat. Maybe its darker gold cuz of the shadowing since its not flat? idk. I attached a picture with some views of the robes from WoW model veiwer.

I was thinking making plain brown robes as a base, since there is plenty of brown on the bottom and it looks like everything is resting on the brown... and then sew everything on from there (all the blues/gold). Does that sound reasonable? Or does anyone know if there is a better approach to it.

I plan on doing the heat and bond applique method for the gold stuff, well, the parts that look more flat anyways.

BUt thats all I got going in terms of planning right now. Lol. Maybe I should have started sooner...I barely know how to sew. I don't even own a sewing machine! (I borrow one from a friend who rarely uses it) and I pick such detailed and multicolored robes. This is gonna be interesting. :P ALOT of stuff with this cosplay is gonna be me trying out things for the first time.

squeekem68
03-05-2009, 08:45 AM
What do you use when you model? Do you have an armature? What kind of clay do you use? I'm sculpting/molding/casting my weapon, but I'm pretty nervous about it!

Hiya Shaylyn,
As far as weapon making I stick to prop grade store bought weapons and modify the heck out of them using paper mache, adding a hardening agent, airbrushing then clear coat.

The molds have always been used as haunting props (commercial grade). There are some really great tutorials out there. The online store I use to order all the supplies is EnvironMolds.com, they have some tutorials but may be a little advaced, they are located here http://www.artmolds.com/learning.cfm. In way of casting and etc. Use Oil Based clay, for casting I use gypsom based plaster, a few companies make it but the most popular and easy to find is by a company called castrite. Usually use this tecnique for greating body parts, skulls and masks but am sure this will work for a weapon....post a pic when your done :)

Shaylyn
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Edalyne,

I'm also not very good at sewing >.< Are you going to make gloves, a belt, and a cloak too? If so, you might try determining what parts of the robe will be covered up and erase them/paint over them in the picture. That helps me feel less overwhelmed!

I had the same problem with the shadows/darker colors on my costume :( It made it seem like I'd need 10 shades of gray and gold, but I decided to ignore the differences because I think a lot of it is shading done by the WoW designers to make the characters look more 3D, dramatic, and detailed without adding to the meshes. What really decided it for me was imagining what my costume would look like ON ME if I recreated the colors/shading exactly. I was really afraid of looking patchy, incohesive, or strange depending on the angle.

Looking at the Faith robes, there are a lot of itty bitty pieces of blue/turquoise all over! One of the few things I DO know about sewing is that sewing little pieces of cloth can get super annoying. You might consider stenciling and airbrushing some of the smaller slivers of color if sewing the little pieces gets on your nerves!!

Sorry for the long-winded post, but just one last thing, I swear! :) I was at Joann fabrics last night and flipped through some of their pattern books. There are some really good simple robe/dress patterns in the costume sections that look like the brown base robe you were talking about :)

Shaylyn
03-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks Squeekem! I spent a lot of time on www.MonsterMakers.com and read some other tutorials, but I wasn't sure what method to pick because there seems to be so many out there. I think I'll feel most confident using the method you suggested since it's worked for you so many times before! So far I have only done some basic resin casting, and I didn't sculpt anything so this will still be pretty new. A few months ago my family got me some NSP oil-based clay for my birthday... I think it was kind of expensive though. Where do you buy your clay?

Edalyne
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think i want to make a belt, since the middle part is so decorative and spreads out beyond the waist. A belt would make it look weird. But I do want to do a cloak! So I guess I don't have to worry about making the details on my back so much.

And yea, you're probably right about the they way blizz designs their stuff. I'm just gonna make everything the same color gold :P And hmm..i never thought about airbrushing. That would be alot less of a hassle.

And I went to Joanns today and found a perfect medival dress thing pattern! It has weirdo holes on the back that you're supposed to lace up but I'm just gonna put in a zipper or something instead. and it won't matter since I'll have a cloak covering it up. But I'm happy, the dress looks just like the robes would if they were plain. Now to pick a material....its gonna be hot outside, so I gotta pick something that I won't get too sweaty in :P

Thanks again Shaylyn ^.^

atllas
03-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm in the process of making my lady sylvanas costume its a pain in the butt but a lot of fun at the same time haha. I'll post pictures soon ^.^

Edalyne
03-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Omg Atllas is probably gonna be awesome. i loved all the Sylvanas cosplayers i've seen. She's so cool. I would so cosplay her cept I don't have the body lol. :P But do post progress pics!

I haven't really started much of my costume yet. Its all gathering materials still at this point. Im still looking around for brown fabric for my robes. Im still really uncertain what fabric to use :P

Oh yea. I bought a sewing machine! :D So that should make things smoother in the making process hopefully.

Eeva
03-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Heh. I wish I could go to Blizzcon but I live no way near that part of the world -_-
Instead I'm cosplaying a WoW character at a more local convention
This draenei is what I'm cosplaying http://www.dccomics.com/dcunlimited/wow/?dcd=9876
I'm basing it off the Action Figurine because a) I have the figurine so its easy to figure out the concept of the outfit and such, b) because I like her stylized Tempest set compared to the ingame tempest set :P

Shaylyn
03-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Woohoo about the new sewing machine Edalyne! :) About cloth though, I like shiny for my costumes so I generally use crepe back satin. It can be sort of hard to work with and might act goofy around seams sometimes, but it looks elegant and beautiful. Crepe back satin goes really well with crushed panne/crushed velour as well, I think. The shiny smooth and rough textures look so rich together!

Have you opened your robe pattern yet? I was just wondering if looking at patterns freaks you out as much as it does to me! hahah :P For some reason it just seems so complicated and I get scared.

omg I can't wait to see your costume Atllas! Revamped Sylvanas is AWESOME!!! What materials are you using?

atllas
03-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Omg Atllas is probably gonna be awesome. i loved all the Sylvanas cosplayers i've seen. She's so cool. I would so cosplay her cept I don't have the body lol. :P But do post progress pics!

I'm really excited to make it and will post pics as soon as I take some! :D

Edalyne
03-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Have you opened your robe pattern yet? I was just wondering if looking at patterns freaks you out as much as it does to me! hahah :P For some reason it just seems so complicated and I get scared.

Yes and I'm scared. lol. Some simple things that i've made such as bags and easy shirts kinda make me go "uh...where do i start." The robes are like huge compared to a shirt, so I kinda freaked out. Lol :P

Hmm, shiny frabric....i could do that for the brown and maybe use velor/velvet for the blue and teals.

And my sewing machine hates me. it wont catch the bobbin thread at all. I've played with the tensions and everything. Bleh. So I'm gonna take it back and get it looked at. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or its just stupid. You do get an lemon sometimes with them. So maybe I'm just unlucky. >.<

squeekem68
03-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Well after casting the "Great stuff" shoulders last weekend I sat there for a bit and really started questioning the DK armor, i'm thinking since this is my first costume maybe I should go a little lighter. I did what probably what all of you guys do is launch wow model viewer and start looking, there were so many I got overwhelmed. I did change my mind I really want to model my costume after my hunter, problem is that the armor style I like but the colors sux. I may use the same style but change the color, I know it wont be try to the WOW version but this one is pure practice, especially getting the high shoulders just right...what ya guys think about changing the color? maybe even changing up the stlye abit?

Shaylyn
03-11-2009, 09:03 AM
What does your hunter wear? People at Blizzcon seemed really forgiving when it came to costumes :) I simplified my costume a lot last year but no one made me feel like it wasn't good enough and I still got really good reactions. I think you should change the colors how you want, because you're the one putting all the time and effort into it and it should be something you're really satisfied with and feel cool wearing. If you're worried that changing the style and color will make your armor unrecognizable, maybe you could pick the signature item/detail and make that really accurate or really stand out (like, the eye on Gronnstalker's helm or the dragons on the Dragonstalker shoulders).

Do you have any pictures of the shoulders you made though? I'm just wondering what they looked like after casting :)

squeekem68
03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
here is what I have so far, this weekend I will be shaping the foam and starting the craft foam overlay for a smooth finish. total cost including the craft foam is 14.00.

the mold (plastic sheets of recycled plastic)

Casting with "Great Stuff"

Ready to start shaping and building

It looks bad now but again it will all be covered and shapped :)

Shaylyn
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Oh that's cool, that's a really good base. I'm trying to figure out how to make the basic shape for my boyfriend's shoulders and that might be the way to go! How easy is that stuff to cut? I'm sorry if you said this in a previous post but what tools to you use to cut and shape it? Just a sander?

squeekem68
03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Oh that's cool, that's a really good base. I'm trying to figure out how to make the basic shape for my boyfriend's shoulders and that might be the way to go! How easy is that stuff to cut? I'm sorry if you said this in a previous post but what tools to you use to cut and shape it? Just a sander?

its actually very easy to cut, here is what you will need if you go this way

Cheap hacksaw blade (helps in removing the mold from the cast and cutting out the under side)

Utility knife (for the finer trimming of the excess foam)

and thats it! I have used Great stuff in the past for other projects and those tools work really well! I will be cutting and Trimming later this week and will post some more pix. If you do this wait atleast 24 hours before you remove the mold. If using card board for the mold after 24 hours your set, if using plastic, pull the mold then let sit for an additional day, for some reason the the rounded edge seemed very tacky.

When using the hack saw blade to remove the cast from the mold, you will not be cutting, slide the smooth edge of the (side not used for cutting) blade between the mold and the cast and gently work them apart. if you have any other questions please fire em away :)

Shaylyn
03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
if you have any other questions please fire em away :)

Thank you SO much! You are a life saver! I can't wait to get started :)

squeekem68
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Anytime :) what ever you do....dont use the spary foam indoors, after it dries your ok :) also use laytex gloves, if the wet foam gets on your hands, the only thing that will remove it is Acetone or Paint thinner, and clothing its ruined :)

Shaylyn
03-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Hiya Edalyne :) I found something that might be useful to you! There's this online fabric store (www.morexfabrics.com) that is having a clearance on crushed panne/velour and bridal satin. The crushed panne stuff is only $1/yard and the bridal satin is something like $2.50. I ordered 6 yards of fabric and the shipping was only $4.95. I know the crushed panne is $5.99/yard at Joann's so those are pretty nice savings :) Also, the lady who runs it is awesome and will mail you samples of any fabric you want before ordering anything!

Edalyne
03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
OOh those are really good prices. THanks so much! I ordered some of the crushed panne in the mermaid green and cobalt blue. :D I was gonna actually almost bought some yesterday, but decided to hold off. Good thing i did!

Shaylyn
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
From the samples she sent me I'd say it's exactly the same as the stuff as Joann's, but I haven't received the actual order yet. I figure if somehow it ends up not being the quality I was hoping for that at least it was cheap! I also ordered the cobalt blue. The sample was a beautiful color :)

I read a tutorial somewhere here on the forums for a method of applying pieces of fabric to a dress/costume sort of the way you want to with the blues. It involves using heat and bond and then sewing the edges of the fabric. Is that what you were going to do, or are you doing something different? I've never done that before but I figure it'd be a nice thing to learn about! :)

Edalyne
03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Yea, thats pretty much what i plan on doing with it. I tried it out a couple days ago on some old shirts and stuff. I cut out some designs to spice them up and heat n bonded them and sewed the edges just to make sure it wont lift off and it looks pretty nice. :D So hopefully that will work out on the robes.

I finally bought some brown cloth. I was debating about getting bridal satin. But the browns i saw were either very dark or very light. So i got some other fabric a silky kinda rayon mix thats not really shiny, but its still nice looking. It was the perfect shade of brown. I went over to the crushed velvet at the store and stuff and it looks like the fabrics will go well together. So wewt.

And I started my shoulders! I'm making them into 3 peices. The tips, the middle portion, and the the part closest to the neck that kinda goes under the middle portion. I got the shape for the tips done. However my camera is dead. I promise to get batteries when I get the whole shape done and assembled together.
Shoulder ref so that you can see what i mean by 3 peices:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40450#screenshots:id=111358

Also...I was originally thinking of doing a jewel for the shoulder....but since the jewel glows on the shoulder I rememered I saw this ad on TV once and was like "Hey...maybe I can stick those in my shoulder armor!" What do you think?

http://store.diyhut.com/taponliglika.html

Shaylyn
03-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Eek it's been a while! Have you done any more work on your costume? :) I'm sleepy and out of it so I'll probably have to see pics of your shoulders to 100% understand the 3 piece thing, hehe.

There's this guy that stands in front of a tax place near my house with a statue of liberty outfit on. I drove by with my mom the other day and shouted "OMG! That guy is wearing crushed panne in Mermaid Green!" Luckily, she has the same appreciation for fabric :P Made me think of you!

About the shoulder lights, I think the DIY store ones are pretty large (5 3/8" and 4" or so). I don't know how big you want the shoulder ones to be but I'm pretty sure I saw varied sizes of LED push lights (which are brighter too) at Ace Hardware and Target. The Push On lights thing definitely seems like the easiest thing to do and would look great! If that doesn't work for some reason maybe I could help you out with some light up gems? They're not as easy but still better than nothing if the first idea doesn't work :)

My belt is almost done! I know it's not a huge piece or anything but I love how it looks so it's a confidence booster. Maybe it'll give me the motivation to finish another piece soon :P

How do you like your new sewing machine so far?

Edalyne
03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
lol! Thanks for thinking of me. haha.

Ok, I'll go check out Target and some hardware stores then. I'm just glad that the idea is a practical one/ So i'll check those out for brightness/size and see if its going to be doable.

I've honestly hardly progressed. lol. Its finals week for me right now. Just got one more paper to write thats due tomorrow and then I have spring break next week!! So hopefully then. I want to at least get the basic brown robes put together and some more of my shoulders done.

And I was having machine issues. But I went to Sears and they gave me a new one and it works wonderfully! I'm having alot of fun with it and like it alot more than my friend's Singer...that thing SUCKED. It would bunch up the thread all the time. I thought it was me and my lack of sewing skill, but it was just the darn machine. I'm actually getting better at sewing cuz the machine doesn't jam up every 5 mintues. :P

BUt yay on the belt! :D Yea, finishing little things makes me want to keep going to get the whole project put together :) Are you making both your bf and your costume? Or just yours? I wish my bf would cosplay. I'm sure if I made him something, he'd wear it. But he would only wear something paladin related since he's in love with his crazy op pally. :P And I'm not making him a whole plate outfit. :P

Oh yea...I was going through blizzcon costume photos just to see how people assembled things and other stuff and was wondering is this you Shaylyn?

http://www.blizzard.com/blizzcon/_images/coverage/photos/costumes57.jpg

Edit: DoH! It is you. Lol. Last time I checked your profile you had no pictures up. And now you do. lol. Just wondering. Why no professional photo?

Garnet216
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Yay for WoW cosplayers. :) I cosplayed the blood elf from the BC opening cinema, although I've never gotten around to putting pics up...

Anyway - I am looking forward to making more WoW costumes. While I highly doubt I will make it to Blizzcon, I am attending Dragon*con this year. I am hoping to also cosplay Lady Sylvanas for D*C. However, I am also considering doing another WoW costume before that just for fun! Some I were thinking about were the newly revealed druid T8 or the DK starter set. I play a paladin, but she looks a bit too much like a Power Ranger for me to cosplay her. ; )

Squeekem, that is a great idea using the Great Stuff in a mold. Can I ask what you cover it with once you've got it sanded and shaped? I can see that being really useful!

Also, Edalyne - I love the outfit you chose to do. Can I recommend Lumiere fabric paints (http://www.dharmatrading.com/lum_neo.html) for the details? They carry it at some Joann stores, but if they don't have it near you, this site has good prices and ships out quickly. I used this stuff to do yards and yards of teeny designs on my blood elf costume.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

Shaylyn
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I hope your finals went well! Haha, that's funny about the sewing machine. I wish getting a new machine would make me better at sewing too, but I'm pretty sure it's not the machine's fault that I stink, hehe :)

Yes I am making both of our costumes, but it's really more like making 1 1/2 because they're very similar. If you look at Lady Blaumeux and Sir Zeliek, a large portion of their armor is the same (yay for me!). The chest, gauntlets, legs, belt, and boots are 90% identical, and although the helmets look very different their base structures are the same. I get to use the same materials and construction methods on both costumes!

I got a whole bunch done this weekend!! The belt is all glued together and colored except for the belt buckle. The helmet structure is all ready for cloth and details and my right shoulder is built, just waiting for foamies and 3D paint :)

Is your boyfriend going to Blizzcon too? Maybe you could make him a tabard or something, hehe :)

Yeah, that's me, but I was in terrible pain after the costume contest so I left right after and didn't even think about the professional photos. I had a wooden dowel/pole connecting the two shoulders across my back (to keep them steady and stable) but after 8 hours in costume it had worn a horribly sore spot on my back/neck! (QQ)

Have you thought about where you're going to get ready and all that?

OrangeMoose
03-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone! It's nice to see a Blizzcon thread. I am planning on making a T7.5 priest costume for this year, but it depends on whether or not I get my boyfriend's costume done in time. School is keeping me busy but I have Summer off (I wish they scheduled the con for October again ~.~). There were a lot of priests last year, but the priest sets are always beautiful (and I play one =D ) so I really enjoyed making it. My only concern is being able to get tickets. We got tickets during a last-minute batch last year, and only thanks to a friend after days of F5-ing in hopes of getting tickets. Anyway, I am looking foward to all of your costumes. All the cosplayers I meet are always really nice, and Blizzard cosplayers are no exception. =)

Shaylyn
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Oh my god I loved your priest costume last year! It looked so beautiful and well put together :) What costume are you making for your boyfriend?

OrangeMoose
03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Thank you =D

He wants to be something from Starcraft. I am a pretty scared since it will involve body armor. T.T I am not even thinking about it until school is over. He has until then to choose who he wants to be.

Edalyne
03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Yay for getting a bunch done! I still haven't done anything. GO BEING LAZY! :P Actually, I cut out all the patterns for the robes....I just gotta get my act together and sew it together now. But idk when that will happen and how long it will take. It seems like a lot. i'm ued to sewing small things :P

ANd yes, my bf will be going. He went the past two years with me. BUt thats of course assuming we get tickets. I crazy spazzed out for the ticket sales last year and got tickets the second the released them cuz i was refreshing the page hoping it would go up. :P I'm hoping this year things go smoother. I'm sure blizz will think through the ticket process this year and hopefully come up with something better.

OOH Orange Moose I loved ur priest cosplay last year!! I remember seeing you around the con and you looked lovely. :D I actually kept looking at pics of you (I stumbled upon your deviant art looking up priest reference pictures) to figure out what kinda material and stuff I should maybe use for my priest cosplay cuz I liked the way your robes turned out. :P That kinda sounds stalker ish.... But it was for reference! Lol

OrangeMoose
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Lol, it's all good =)

That was the first real costume I ever made. Looking back I would have done the robes a bit differently by adding a different type of fabric for contrast. The fabric I used was plain cotton which didn't stretch at all.

The shoulders are made from brush-on latex and expanding foam. When people at the con asked me how I made them I told them to poke them. They would hesitate at first then finally poke them to find out they were squishy. That made a lot of people giggle XD

Maryssa
03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Not making anything new this year unless i get a wild rush of inspiration.

edit: scratch that. coincidentally i actually got massively inspired this afternoon. wtf.

Shaylyn
03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Ooh, what inspired you? Or will this be a fun reveal at Blizzcon? :)

Maryssa
03-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Not saying, hehe =p Going to be a bigger project than Vashj was though. Lord help me.

WR_Pouncival
03-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm planning on going bigger and better than my Death Knight costume last year--I just hope I have time to get it done between work and school! I just dont know if I want to share it now or leave it a total surprise for BlizzCon.

OrangeMoose
03-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Yay! Hey Pounce =D <-example of meeting really nice people at conventions.

Edalyne
03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
oh man, that Vashj costume was amazing. I remembered seeing you and wondering how in the world you got around in that thing. :P

Up to you Pounce! But if you do let us know you better give us updates on how its going and stuff. :D

I still haven't sewn my robes >.> I'm working on another cosplay more that I want done by May (Zero Suit Samus from Metroid/Smash Bro. Brawl), so I haven't gotten around to it :P Its far till August, right? I'm sure I'll be in a panic like a month before the con. I procrastinate alot :P

WR_Pouncival
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Omg! Orange! You were a lot of fun to be in line with! And you were so nice to me--giving me hints and tips, especially since it was my first time and my costume was kind of low tier. Oooh I hope I can get tickets this year!

OrangeMoose
03-30-2009, 11:59 AM
=D Once the official forums are up you can find me under Bellruel over there.

Aer
03-31-2009, 08:36 AM
hi guys! I've been wanting to make a wow costume for ages haha! I just can't ever decide what I want to make - there are so many awesome outfits. I think I'm getting close though...I love my priesty and some of my favorite sets include the avatar regalia...the current T7 is pretty too... we'll see :)

Edalyne
04-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Priest sets are pretty! Let us know what you chose :D PS - Daft Punk is awesome and I love your avatar costume Aer. :D

Ooh I chose a weapon to make! I have no clue how to make weapons. I keep coming up with all these idea for my costumes and have no idea how to do any of it. lol. Anyways, i want to make the Staff of Restraint.
ref:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40455

And I can't wait for the official forums to go up for blizzcon. I checked those like everyday and posted random crap there all time. lol. My name will be...dundundun...Edalyne.

Shaylyn
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
That kinda looks (basically) like the staff OrangeMoose made! I don't know the specifics of how that was made though :( I'm getting so excited, I can't wait to meet all of you and see all the costumes :) At least there's only like... 140 days until Blizzcon. But who's counting?!

Have any of you had much experience with airbrushes? I have a couple questions, but the people at the Michael's near my house don't know anything about airbrushes :(

Aer
04-03-2009, 05:07 PM
The airbrush I use is a Badger Crescendo which I love. I'd suggest a dual action as well and the only thing I wish I had gotten was one that was gravity fed....cause mine can't suck up all the paint in the jar being bottom fed lol but thats not a big deal.

Also be sure to get a compressor, those cans of air totally aren't worth the hassle. I have a small portable one and love it!

Shaylyn
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks! I'm going to look into that model. I'm glad you mentioned the cans of air thing... it just looked so convenient and tempting :P

Aer
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
haha yeah they do...i still have 1 or 2 but hate using them. they get cold really fast and frost up!

plus a compressor gives you a constant/consistent flow of air and especially if you have a big project you'll go through cans like nothing.

TheInfamousBug
04-06-2009, 03:59 PM
A little late to the party, but hey!

I'm starting to work out my costume for Blizzcon '09 this year... After going this past year and going "Wow" at most of the costumes that I saw (Including some by those posted in this thread), I had to jump on the bandwagon... As a guy, it's hard to convince friends to help.. And even harder when you live in a town of 800, about 30 miles from civilization... But I'll make it work!

So far, I've begun planning my conquest of the Shaman tier 7.5 set (Reference: here (http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=-36)), and so far, it looks pretty solid. The "Shirt," kilt, and gloves won't be too bad... I'm actually thinking dual layer gloves would work best. An under-set of three fingered gloves to actually slip on, then the "Armored" piece would be a second fit, that would latch over my palms, allowing it easier use at the convention. I could wear it, then slip them off if I actually wanted to eat or something, and not get it on the armored wrists... Heh...

The tricky part for me will be the shoulders and the face. I currently play a female (Gasp) troll Shaman, but I plan as going as male (Unless I somehow develop a decent bust size to pull off a female troll). As far as tusks go, I took a look at some of the other trolls that have been done, but most were done with the tusks affixed directly to the face... Which becomes a little trickier for me. I was hoping possibly some kind of alternative would work better.. But I've not gotten an idea for it yet. Any suggestions there, on getting decent tusks to not be affixed to the face, yet lightweight and easy to put on and take off between days at the 'Con?

The shoulders bring up the other tricky part (Reference: here (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40524)). I thought about using some kind of foam cut to mold around a plastic over-piece with a kind of glazed inside with some LED's internally to make the glow appear... But I'm curious as to how strong it would be, or if the LED's would melt something (Since I'd need a few to create a glow and not make it a waste). The two questions I'd have here are which materials to use as far as the spikes and actual shoulderpiece to go with? I've got some thoughts in mind, being either a type of foam cut or paper mache... Leaning foam on sheer longetivity (This has to be shipped about 2k miles, so think durable, too). The other is the LED lighting - How to make it work fairly well (And to actually SHOW the glow) while not disrupting the rest of the costume in any way.

So far, looking at the others here that are going to this years Blizzcon, it looks like there'll be even more than last, and even better costumes! Here's hoping I'll be able to join you all in mine :D

Shaylyn
04-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi! Welcome to the party! :)

I don't have model view on this computer so I apologize if these suggestions are completely impossible but... would it be possible to attach the tusks to the actual helmet? If so, that'd be a lot easier to remove than if you glued them to your face. As for the shoulders, the bulk of the shoulders could be made with foam but the semi-spherical glowing part looks a lot like these things my mom bought from Ace Hardware. They're clear plastic ball things, like huge christmas ornaments. The two halves of the ball come apart to make hemispheres, which could be super useful. Those could be painted with translucent paints so the LEDs could show through!

I look into those plastic things more and maybe see if Ace still has them :)

Last year I heard that a lot of cosplayers got together for breakfast or something on one of the days. I hope we can all do something like that this year!

volde
04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I had a blast last year with my Eredar Twin cosplay, so I'm returning this year with Sylvanas. I've got all my supplies... just have to find the time to start building it XD

TheInfamousBug
04-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Hi! Welcome to the party! :)

I don't have model view on this computer so I apologize if these suggestions are completely impossible but... would it be possible to attach the tusks to the actual helmet? If so, that'd be a lot easier to remove than if you glued them to your face. As for the shoulders, the bulk of the shoulders could be made with foam but the semi-spherical glowing part looks a lot like these things my mom bought from Ace Hardware. They're clear plastic ball things, like huge christmas ornaments. The two halves of the ball come apart to make hemispheres, which could be super useful. Those could be painted with translucent paints so the LEDs could show through!

I look into those plastic things more and maybe see if Ace still has them :)

Thing is, I'm leaving the helmet out - I'm doing this with face showings to give more details of the teeth and such. The hair will be fun enough to do (I'll probably just cheese it and do a new male troll hairstyle, but still make it look troll-ish with a bit of hairspray), and the tusks just make it look cooler.

As for the Ace Hardware tip - That might just work. I'll have to swing by one soon to see if they've got it. If they're not like a plastic, I can glaze the inside of them so the view is obscured, slightly tint either the inside or the outside, then stick the LED inside. It'd be perfect! Thanks!

ZerinaX
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey everyone, it was really nice to meet a lot of you last year at Blizzcon 2008! I can't wait to see everyone's costumes this year, I'm so excited!!

This year I plan on being a bit crazier and doing Mother Shahraz for Blizzcon 2009. Last year was my first costume, and I plan on fixing a LOT of things just so I can move around without having to fiddle with this and that or worry about my armor exploding off.

Deciding how to do the other four extra arms has been the slowest part of the project so far, but I've drawn up some plans and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do and how to make it work.

Can't wait to see everyone's progress!

TheInfamousBug
04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey everyone, it was really nice to meet a lot of you last year at Blizzcon 2008! I can't wait to see everyone's costumes this year, I'm so excited!!

This year I plan on being a bit crazier and doing Mother Shahraz for Blizzcon 2009. Last year was my first costume, and I plan on fixing a LOT of things just so I can move around without having to fiddle with this and that or worry about my armor exploding off.

Deciding how to do the other four extra arms has been the slowest part of the project so far, but I've drawn up some plans and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do and how to make it work.

Can't wait to see everyone's progress!

Oh wow, that'll be a neat one! I can't wait to see the way you pull this one off. I'm excited to see progress already on it!

As for myself, I think I figured out the easy way out of my costume dilema. Originally, I was planning on a single base material, then actually sew into it the lines themselves with the correct color thread... Then I realized my sewing machine isn't quite able to do that. So option two - Single base pattern (The brown kilt, as an example), then get the cloth or fabric needed to match the details, and sew that in overtop. MUCH easier overall, and I can always customize as needed. Thoughts?

Shaylyn
04-10-2009, 02:26 PM

That was your first costume?! It was AMAZING! I'm going as Lady Blaumeux so we'll have to take pictures together this year to represent the badass female bosses :)

I know how you feel about being unable to move, I think I saw someone lacing up your leg armor a few times throughout the day, hehe

Edalyne
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Wee its fun seeing so many people on the thread. Everyone from the previous years had great costumes and I can't wait to see everyone's this year. I'm kinda worried at how mine will turn out since I really have no costume experience. Lol. We'll see in August. :P I just hope we all get tickets to blizzcon and all.

Aer
04-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Wow thats gonna be impressive! I always thought it would be cool if someone did one of those Shiva-esque demons. Can't wait to see it!

SillyChibi
04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Oh how I wish I could do Sylvanas... Maybe someday. I don't think I could pull it off. I'm so little. O.O

Maghia
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone! Joining in on the fun here. I had such a good time with my twin last year (love you Volde) so I'm going to do Alexstrasza's new model this year! Very excited, it's coming along quite nicely. Can't wait to see everyone!

Shaylyn
04-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Awesome! Are you going to do the skin color and everything? That'll look so good!

TheInfamousBug
04-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone! Joining in on the fun here. I had such a good time with my twin last year (love you Volde) so I'm going to do Alexstrasza's new model this year! Very excited, it's coming along quite nicely. Can't wait to see everyone!

I wondered if anyone was brave enough to pull this off - This should be awesome to see in person! All the jewelry will make it a very tricky, but very impressive cosplay. Good luck on it ^.^

Shaylyn
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Each time another person posts on here what costume they're making I get motivated and super obsessed with working on mine. So... keep it coming! I still have a lot of work to do!! hahah :)

Are any of you already almost done with your costumes? I'm not :(

OrangeMoose
04-15-2009, 04:50 PM

Woohoo! You were hawt as an Eredar twin (Volde was hawt too!) so I am sooo glad you are doing Alexstrasza. I think you will pull it off nicely. Can't wait!

TheInfamousBug
04-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Each time another person posts on here what costume they're making I get motivated and super obsessed with working on mine. So... keep it coming! I still have a lot of work to do!! hahah :)

Are any of you already almost done with your costumes? I'm not :(

Today (Thursday, that is) is my one day off this week... And it's going to be spend finding material to use for the base to my costume. The gloves, wraps, kilt, and chestpiece. The shoulders and weapons I'm going to hold over for a little while... But I've most definately got plans.

One of my co-workers actually said that her family does cosplay once in a while, and her husband makes their weapons from scratch. She offered me for a small price to craft up what I need as far as weaponry goes. I lucked out on that one! What's more, she offered to make the blade removable (Fake blade for the 'con of course), so I can outfit it with a normal blade afterwards and keep it as a display, or sell it! How sweet is that?!

Here's to hoping the local stores have the material I need >.<;

WR_Pouncival
04-19-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh man...I had THE best/hawtest spot in line in the Costume Contest last year. Right smack in the middle of the Eredar Twins and Ms. OrangeMoose. Awesome! It did kinda suck having to follow the twins though. I would have to like, shoot lightning from my eyes to upstage that kiss. :crylaugh:

Pouffe
04-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Eeeee, five more months to go! Everyone's ideas sound great.

Would any of you guys that were in the costume contest last year happen to have the email of the guy that was in charge of the 2008 contest? Or any way to contact their costume contest department? I don't know who to contact regarding a question about specific costume rules and weaponry.

Automated Blizzard emails FTL. :|

Tonksie
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
What do you guys think about a draenei cosplay without the digitigrade (or however you spell it) legs? In my previous cosplay, I was wearing a skirt, so it didn't matter, but now I'm going to try my hand at plate (eep). I like the draenei in general, so really want to stick with one, but I have no idea where to start with the legs, and everything I've seen on how to make them is either super bulky and/or ridiculously out of my skill level.

Is it a big problem to just forgo the super bendy legs do you think?

Merodi
04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
So it looks like I'll be making Sylvanas Windrunner. I have the whole thing planned out. Now I just need to buy the materials. I plan to post progress pictures as I go. Hopefully mine turns out well. I'm excited to partake in WoW cosplay. I friggen love the game so much. XD

Pouffe
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
What do you guys think about a draenei cosplay without the digitigrade (or however you spell it) legs? In my previous cosplay, I was wearing a skirt, so it didn't matter, but now I'm going to try my hand at plate (eep). I like the draenei in general, so really want to stick with one, but I have no idea where to start with the legs, and everything I've seen on how to make them is either super bulky and/or ridiculously out of my skill level.

Is it a big problem to just forgo the super bendy legs do you think?

Yeah, the legs are pretty tricky to emulate. :S

I don't think you should worry about it too much. The draenei that dressed up as casters last year were still super recognizable.. horns+tail+blue body paint = insta-draenei! :D

And ooh, which warrior tier set are you doing?

Shaylyn
04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Eeeee, five more months to go! Everyone's ideas sound great.

Would any of you guys that were in the costume contest last year happen to have the email of the guy that was in charge of the 2008 contest? Or any way to contact their costume contest department? I don't know who to contact regarding a question about specific costume rules and weaponry.

Automated Blizzard emails FTL. :|

Last year I actually spoke to a real person about the contest rules, submission info, etc, but it was from a very general email address, BlizzConContest@blizzard.com. Might have to wait until the actual Blizzcon site goes up if that doesn't work out for you :(

-Tonksie, I agree that you don't need the crazy legs to make a great draenei costume. Don't be afraid of plate! :) It's a LOT of fun to work with. A draenei warrior is a really fresh idea, I am so excited to see it!

-TheInfamousBug, how did your materials gathering go? You are so lucky that your coworker offered that... I'm so jealous :P

Maghia
04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Yes Shaylyn, the skin color will be done, as will all the jewels and gems! I'm very excited for this. She's totally a dragon diva and I'm hoping to bring her to life the best I can! I'll be back here when I start piecing everything together, probably for moral support :D

TheInfamousBug
04-23-2009, 01:46 AM
-TheInfamousBug, how did your materials gathering go? You are so lucky that your coworker offered that... I'm so jealous :P

So far, so good. Right now, I've got the actual base material plus the thread and overlay for the most part covered. Shoulders will be tricky, but I've got an idea there. I just need to find some orbs for the shoulders is all. Hair will be a little harder - I'll need to find a wig, as well as a hairstyle a troll male can use... >.<

I don't think I'll have my natural hair long enough to use for the 'Con, not to mention, I'll have to color it (And my work won't quite like that, especially having to make it blue or something).

Either way, the base outfit is first. The shoulders and hair will be last. I'm planning on skipping the feet, only because I expect the kilt to fully cover my feet. As much as I'd like to do it, it's a little more work than I'll have time to do. My plan is to get a piece done every two weeks (Shirt, kilt, hair, shoulders, weapons), then mail it to my guildmate in Cali (I'm in Illinois - Makes this hard), then I'll be out there a day early to pick it up and do any touch-up on it as needed.

Here's hoping I can keep to said schedule ^.^;

-Edit-

Also, anyone have any good thoughts on GOOD makeup to use - Easy to apply? Preferably a light-blue troll color. I figure the lighter colors will be easier to wash than the darker (My experience in stage makeup, anyway).

Oh, and does anyone need a roomie to the 'Con? I've got a two-bed room at the Hilton directly next to the center. I figure anyone (Male, female, doesn't matter) could join in. It'd also make doing any costume touch ups easy, and not freak someone out when you wake up and go "Hay, can you help me put my dress on?" Figured I'd ask here. My guildies all have their rooms so far >.>

Shaylyn
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Infamous, check out this website (http://www.themedecor.com/catalog.jsp?catId=129)! It's got two piece plastic spheres that might help you out. Sounds like you've got a good timeline to get things done... now just don't slack off like I have >.<

Maghia, that's so cool! It's exciting when people take something from the game and make it look real and convincing. You did that so well last year, so I can only imagine how badass this year's costume is going to turn out.

Where did you guys get your horns? I need horns for my costume, but I'm not sure if I should make my own or buy them. Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere in the thread.

- Edit -
On another note Blizzard needs to put up the real Blizzcon website already... last year they announced the ticket sale date almost 5 months ahead of time. We're about 4 months from Blizzcon and still nothing! /impatient :P

And sorry I can't help you out on the roomie thing Infamous, already booked our room! :(

Edalyne
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Woo! I HAVE NOTHING DONE! I had the week off and was hoping to get alot done costume wise. Instead I end up with the flu and in bed. Poo. Oh well.

Blizz really needs to put up tickets! I want to buy them already and just have that part out of the way. And the blizzcon forums. Those just kept me excited.

Im still debating about getting a hotel room. Last two times I went I didnt get one cuz I'm only 15-20 min away... But I hear about all these fun parties and stuff and makes me want to get a room for the environment and fun :P I'll see. Still got a lil time to decide.

TheInfamousBug
04-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Having a room makes it easy since you don't have to worry about driving from a house or whatever. Plus, you've got parties in the hotels. Lastly, you can get your costume on before you go and walk over instead of screwing it all up in a car or whatever. God knows I'd prefer to walk around in my costume than take a vehicle, especially with the weapons on me >.<

Shaylyn
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I got my room for $50/night and it's not quite as close as the Hilton but it's still super easy to pop over to for costume touch ups :) I've never had a room for Blizzcon either but last year's costume taught me that trying to put on 12 pieces of plate in a parking garage = :(. Oh, AND I walked about 1 1/4 miles from the over flow lot! Seems more relaxing to just wake up and wander over to the Con :) Have you looked at any hotels Edalyne? I don't know if the one I booked will be full of Con goers but I guess everything nearby might be!

Sorry to hear about the flu! Something similar (but not as bad) happened to me so I'm off work today. I'm going to try to use this time to finish up my gloves.

Have any of you worked with paper clay before? I've read some of the tutorials but how do you stick it to craft foam? My craft foam has already been sealed with glue/water, so would I just moisten the surface I want the clay to stick to?

flare
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I want to be a orc shammy some year for ACEN i can make the gear that i have at the time but i dont think anyone will know what the hell i am lol

Collie
04-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Omg. Which shaman outfit were you thinking? <3

alicetehfaerie
04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi guys! I recently got started with cosplaying and as soon as my boyfriend and I decided we're going to Blizzcon I knew I had to dress up. I didn't my my robes myself, but I will be modifying them to make them more like the real thing, and I had some questions for you guys: I'm going as a blood elf with orb of deception (I know, it was done last year, but I'm doing the costume modeled after the actual way blood elves look with the orb) so pretty much a draenei, lol. I guess my question is this: I need to make the hat type thing for it, I was only given the white piece with yellow trim so I'm going to be modifying it onto the purple piece (I'll post pics for you guys), what would be the best way/material to use to make this? Also, the tentacles... I'm thinking some type of plastic material but I've no idea how to go about it, I'll be attaching the tentacles to the headpiece so they sit right, behind my ears. Any ideas?
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/icon.jpg?t=1240944018 (crappy closeup of the headpiece)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/three.jpg?t=1240944217 (back view of the model)
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/?action=view&current=mailgooglecomjpega.jpg (back of the actual costume and it bugs me a bit that it's not perfect but eh)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/one.jpg?t=1240944216 (front view of the model)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/mailgooglecom.jpg?t=1240944214 (front view of the actual costume)
oh, and http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/WoWScrnShot_042809_141537.jpg?t=1240944212 side view of the headpiece.
I think that I'm going to have the headpiece over the horns, so that the horns are behind it.
I haven't decided on a weapon, though I'm pretty certain it will be a staff since I'll be wearing hoof boots :)

By the way I've seen pics of all your all's costumes from last year and I can't wait to see this years!

alicetehfaerie
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Oops, double reply. Sorry!

KamikazeKate
04-30-2009, 09:55 AM
So my little bro who is 9 years old is getting ready to his first con and asked his wonderful big sister Kate to make him a costume since she goes to college for costume design.
Anyway he gave me quite a challenge as I don't want it to look cheap and crappy but I don't want it weighing him down. He's nine so he needs to be able to move.
So I'm thinking of starting with underamour and building on top of it. For the stiffness in the armor I'm thinking of using very stiff interfacing.
Now I'm wondering what kinds of fabric to use. I've never really made clothes for children before. So any suggestion would be great.
The character is:
armor :tier two raid
class:rogue
race:human

Shaylyn
04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
haha your little brother is going to look like a gnome rogue! How cute :) I honestly don't know what good fabrics for this costume would be (I'm terrible with that sort of thing >.<), but for weapons (if he's going to have any) a Dragonfang Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19346) and maybe a Core Hound Tooth (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=18805) or a Perdition's Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=18816) would be PERFECT! This guy (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/96539/) made some wooden daggers and swords and you can sort of see the Dragonfang Blade and Gutgore Ripper on his belt in this picture (http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/suralcor/T2BF.jpg).

Edalyne
05-01-2009, 01:29 AM
I like the weapon choice Shaylyn has. The Core hound tooth would probably be the easiest to make out of those but still looks neat.

As for fabric, there are plenty of things you could use. However, rogues are in leather.... Idk if you want it to be accurate and actually do a leather look. If you do that then something like faux suede would be good, especially I think for the red. The black looks like it would be more of a regular leather than a suede. But even fake leather is kinda expensive, especially by the yard. I've seen plenty of people go in some sort of thick, stiffer cotton fabric as rogues and turn out looking ok. In my head though, its off since its supposed to be leather. But he's 9. He probably won't care about the leather accuracy right? :P

KamikazeKate
05-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks! That was all very helpful, Edalyne and Shaylyn. I got some vinyl material that looks like leather...and yeah expensive...$13 a yard.
I'm trying to make it as accurate as possible because I'm starting a cosplay business and he's going to be my little walking billboard. :)

Shaylyn
05-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Joann's has a lot of 50% off coupons floating around right now so I hope you've got something like that to help you out if you haven't bought all of it yet! :)

KamikazeKate
05-02-2009, 12:19 AM
So I'm thinking of buying leather pants from ebay and adjusting them to fit my lil bro and getting them to work as the cosplay...good idea? Do I still get to say that I made the whole costume?

Edalyne
05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Yea I was looking at fabrics and vinyl does seem like the best choice if u want it to look leathery but dont want to spend too much. Good things its on a kid! Less fabric is needed lol. :P

Joann's randomly has sales on fabric too aywhere from 15-50%. I always wait for those, or like Shaylyn said, a coupon thats good, to come in before I go buying fabric. GL with the costume! Rogues are awesome.

Purrcatnip
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

I am working doing High Priestess Ishana (Draenei) for a local con near me called, "Origins" in Ohio. I don't know how people usually depict the details in cloth armor. For example, look at my sample pictures of her. I don't know if I should make the cloth top, sleeves, and skirt and paint on the detail (which might be a bit hard) or if I should sew additional yellow cloth pieces on to the material. How do people usually do fabric details?

For the fabric I am going to look for a dark teal if that helps.

Purrcatnip
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi guys! I recently got started with cosplaying and as soon as my boyfriend and I decided we're going to Blizzcon I knew I had to dress up. I didn't my my robes myself, but I will be modifying them to make them more like the real thing, and I had some questions for you guys: I'm going as a blood elf with orb of deception (I know, it was done last year, but I'm doing the costume modeled after the actual way blood elves look with the orb) so pretty much a draenei, lol. I guess my question is this: I need to make the hat type thing for it, I was only given the white piece with yellow trim so I'm going to be modifying it onto the purple piece (I'll post pics for you guys), what would be the best way/material to use to make this? Also, the tentacles... I'm thinking some type of plastic material but I've no idea how to go about it, I'll be attaching the tentacles to the headpiece so they sit right, behind my ears. Any ideas?
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/icon.jpg?t=1240944018 (crappy closeup of the headpiece)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/three.jpg?t=1240944217 (back view of the model)
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/?action=view&current=mailgooglecomjpega.jpg (back of the actual costume and it bugs me a bit that it's not perfect but eh)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/one.jpg?t=1240944216 (front view of the model)
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/mailgooglecom.jpg?t=1240944214 (front view of the actual costume)
oh, and http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/WoWScrnShot_042809_141537.jpg?t=1240944212 side view of the headpiece.
I think that I'm going to have the headpiece over the horns, so that the horns are behind it.
I haven't decided on a weapon, though I'm pretty certain it will be a staff since I'll be wearing hoof boots :)

By the way I've seen pics of all your all's costumes from last year and I can't wait to see this years!

Hi alice,

I think you could use a thick headband and glue the horns to it. Then have the fabric coming from the front of the headband. That is how I plan to do both my horns and my tentacle things. Both glued to the headband.

Imalamuya
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

ProTip from the resident guru on hooves (that'd be me.) Log at least 120 hours of actually walking in hoofboots before you even consider going on a convention floor in them. There are only a few shops that make 'em, and if you haven't worn them before, don't go for long stretches. They all have the potential to do permanent damage to the arches of your feet. If it starts to hurt, take them off, and don't immediately go back to flats - that'll definitely do damage. Stretch a lot.
Oh, and get out your checkbook. If you don't already have them, good hoofboots - the kind that won't get you killed and will hold up to the costume level of abuse - will set you back several hundred dollars. If you want them customized to match the cloven Draenei look, you're talking upwards of $1200. (And it may already be too late; there's a typical 5-6 month lead time, since the good ones are all hand made.) If you do an over-top on the hooves, be absolutely positive it won't come loose or move at all. I nearly shattered an ankle learning that cautionary tale.

And yes. I'm going again this year. And the costume should be done on time, barring any natural disasters - like a week without power. Yes, I'm doing another Tauren this year. No, I'm not going crazy with the leather this year.

Purr, Joann up at Great Northern (I'm guessing you know where that is) usually has an opaque dark teal that just about perfectly matches. It's over near the silks, unless they moved the store around. For the details, I personally recommend applique when possible, and fusible webbing when it's not.

alicetehfaerie
05-05-2009, 12:12 PM
ProTip from the resident guru on hooves (that'd be me.) Log at least 120 hours of actually walking in hoofboots before you even consider going on a convention floor in them. There are only a few shops that make 'em, and if you haven't worn them before, don't go for long stretches. They all have the potential to do permanent damage to the arches of your feet. If it starts to hurt, take them off, and don't immediately go back to flats - that'll definitely do damage. Stretch a lot.
Oh, and get out your checkbook. If you don't already have them, good hoofboots - the kind that won't get you killed and will hold up to the costume level of abuse - will set you back several hundred dollars. If you want them customized to match the cloven Draenei look, you're talking upwards of $1200. (And it may already be too late; there's a typical 5-6 month lead time, since the good ones are all hand made.) If you do an over-top on the hooves, be absolutely positive it won't come loose or move at all. I nearly shattered an ankle learning that cautionary tale.

I actually just ordered my boots last night, I'm going with pony boots from punitive shoes (http://www.punitiveshoes.com/database/ballets/derbyiron.shtml), I'm not going with the over the top cloven hoof though-so I guess my cosplay won't be entirely accurate- mostly because I want to decrease the chance of me falling over my shoes and I feel like adding those on wouldn't help me much. But I promise, as soon as I get them I plan on wearing them as much as possible to get used to them. As someone who collects high heels- I'm talking up to ballet heels- I know how important it is to stretch and get used to a shoe before attempting to wear them all day where I expect to be on my feet a lot.
Also, I'm not paying for the boots, horns- any of the expensive stuff, a friend of mine in Germany is, and he stresses that price is not a problem.

Edalyne
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Hey there purr :) Lets see, my robes are pretty similar to yours (t7.5 priest) Originally I was going to sew the gold on, but cutting the fabric to look like that and then sewing it on was turning out to be a huge pain. Many people paint all the details on their robes and it looks great. The winner of blizzcon's 07 cosplay contest had all her detailing airbrushed on the costume and I think it looked pretty neat. (check attachment)

What Im doing is painting the details on some (like the big design in the middle of your skirt) and making it fabric on others. The priestess has two shade of gold going on her costume. Maybe you can sew the thicker gold parts that are on the light blue, and paint the gold detailing thats on the darker blue parts of the robes?

If you do decide to paint - Lumiere paint is awesome. (TY to whoever suggested that to me earlier!) It shows up great on fabric and they have a few shades of gold you can choose. I personally like "Bright Gold" and am using that color for my robes.

GL with your costume! And hoof boots sound painful. :P

Shaylyn
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh good god those boots look like insta-death. I'd seriously stand up, fall over, and break my neck! Then again I rarely wear heels.

It sounds like putting something at the end of your staff like a rubber stopper/end cap (maybe like this (http://www.mtasales.com.au/images/products/panamic_rubber_endcap.jpg)) could be really helpful. The semi-flat shape would be good for support and the material would be great for traction. Sorry if that's old news, I've never worn shoes like that but it seemed helpful :)

alicetehfaerie
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi alice,

I think you could use a thick headband and glue the horns to it. Then have the fabric coming from the front of the headband. That is how I plan to do both my horns and my tentacle things. Both glued to the headband.

I actually forgot to update about that, I bought these horns yesterday http://www.gypsyroses.org/MaliceIII.html (trimmed style) when I bought the boots, and I've finished the headband:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/Picture29.jpg?t=1241555968 and the tendrils (I did glue these to the headband :D) http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/193/93/660628930/n660628930_1779570_3401056.jpg
The colors aren't true to real life, they look a lot closer to how the headband is supposed to look (http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/headone.jpg?t=1241556060)
Thanks for your suggestion, though- if I hadn't figured it out then this would have helped a ton :D

Imalamuya
05-05-2009, 04:24 PM
I actually just ordered my boots last night, I'm going with pony boots from punitive shoes (http://www.punitiveshoes.com/database/ballets/derbyiron.shtml), I'm not going with the over the top cloven hoof though-so I guess my cosplay won't be entirely accurate- mostly because I want to decrease the chance of me falling over my shoes and I feel like adding those on wouldn't help me much. But I promise, as soon as I get them I plan on wearing them as much as possible to get used to them. As someone who collects high heels- I'm talking up to ballet heels- I know how important it is to stretch and get used to a shoe before attempting to wear them all day where I expect to be on my feet a lot.

Ah, those are easier to get, yeah. The problem is that you won't have the proper leg stance and can't do it safely, which is why I opted for the much more (OHGODSMYCHECKBOOK!) boots proper. There's some pictures of mine on my blog (link in sig!) - basically, they're ballet heels, without the heel. Once you've got the practice, I've found they're far easier than any sort of platform simply because of the balance. Good boots, the balance is pretty much spot on. But your thighs will end up the size of tree trunks. ;)

Also, I'm not paying for the boots, horns- any of the expensive stuff, a friend of mine in Germany is, and he stresses that price is not a problem.

Must be nice! ;)

Oh good god those boots look like insta-death. I'd seriously stand up, fall over, and break my neck! Then again I rarely wear heels.

Oh no. Those are the easy boots. Take a look at mine. One of the reasons I'm so grumpy about safety is because boots like mine, if you're stupid in them, will destroy your foot or completely shatter your ankle or worse.

alicetehfaerie
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, Imalamuya. I can barely walk in my ballet boots with the heel.. I doubt I could walk in those boots of yours.
I'm wearing a robe that will pretty much cover up everything but the very bottom of the boots, so I'm not too worried about the stance. It looks like you had a pretty amazing Tauren costume last year! I can't wait to see this years :)

alicetehfaerie
05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
For those of you who don't know yet: BLIZZCON TICKETS ON SALE MAY 16TH ZOMG.
Looks like there's a second set on sale the 30th but still.
WHY SUCH SHORT NOTICE ;_;

Edalyne
05-05-2009, 07:11 PM
For those of you who don't know yet: BLIZZCON TICKETS ON SALE MAY 16TH ZOMG.
Looks like there's a second set on sale the 30th but still.
WHY SUCH SHORT NOTICE ;_;

2 years ago it was: SURPRISE!!! TICKETS ARE ON SALE TODAY!!!!

However, it did take like 3 days for them to sell out. Maybe because it was a surprise without an announcement. Not everyone visited the website religiously waiting for tickets to go on sale (like me :P)

So giving us a 10 day warning AND a second chance to get them in case the 16th doesn't work out is quite nice. I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited I can't wait. I already got the days off from work (the 16th, and actual blizzcon). :P

To everyone trying for tickets - Hope you get them on the 16th!! GL! :D

This got me all excited. I want to go work on my costume now. Too bad I have work in a minute and have a rough draft of a 25 (yes, twenty-five)page paper due next week that I haven't started yet >.> Go college, right? And another costume I'm working on. I probably wont get a chance to do anything for my blizzcon cosplay for a bit :(

Shaylyn
05-05-2009, 07:16 PM
YAY BLIZZCON! This is terrible timing though :( I just paid all my bills! Sounds like they're making the Blizzard store work just like ticketmaster with the queue and timed screens. Should be a lot nicer :) Then again, the tickets were on sale on a week day last year and now it's a Saturday.... eep!!

hahah my poor boyfriend. He got a call earlier: "*pant pant* BLIZZCON TICKETS ARE ON SALE SOON LET'S DO COSTUME STUFF TONIGHT" so I know how you feel Edalyne :)

Good luck on your paper! Paper > Costume, and there's still 108 days until Blizzcon so you have plenty of time :)

Edalyne
05-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Oh yea! For those who didn't notice and plan on going to blizzcon. The blizzcon forums went up today! :D There's a cosplay post up already too. :)

Im posting under Edalyne. :P I have rambled on a bunch of the threads already lol.

Imalamuya
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh yea! For those who didn't notice and plan on going to blizzcon. The blizzcon forums went up today! :D There's a cosplay post up already too. :)

Im posting under Edalyne. :P I have rambled on a bunch of the threads already lol.

... I should probably switch to posting under Ima, shouldn't I? The secret's out anyways. ;)

Shaylyn
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm posting under Temaile :) Forums are so bad for my work productivity >.<

Edalyne
05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm posting under Temaile :) Forums are so bad for my work productivity >.<

Oh i know! I'm in class and just reading all the posts and posting here and there. I really should pay attention...But I can hardly focus on medieval art history right now with all this blizzcon stuff going on :P

Purrcatnip
05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Alright guys, Thanks for the advice on the detailing! I think I am going to try painting and see if it shows and looks good enough. I figure if it doesn't work, i can fuse fabric over it.

My question is, should I do a two part skirt? Or can I get the same look with one skirt? I was almost think of making a plain under skirt with the front details, and then making a second skirt that just covers the sides.

I am heading to Joann's today to try and get a color match for the teal blue. Will post a pic of it when i get it. Then I am going to start the sewing the skirt! :)

~Purr

alicetehfaerie
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
My question is, should I do a two part skirt? Or can I get the same look with one skirt? I was almost think of making a plain under skirt with the front details, and then making a second skirt that just covers the sides.

Dunno if it would work with yours, but mine (http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/mailgooglecom.jpg?t=1241717273) is done in two pieces, I'll take some pics really quick (excuse the bad quality) There's the white part of the skirt: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/Picture32.jpg?t=1241717780 and then the purple part that goes around it and snaps around my waist: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i50/alicetehfaerie/Picture33.jpg?t=1241717781
Only problem with these is, they sit way up on my waist, and yours needs to be lower, but I think maybe it'll work.

Edalyne
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I'd go for the two part skirt. Since you're painting bits, I think making the skirt in more than one part will make it look nicer with the extra layer of material.

What kind of material do you plan on using?

Shaylyn
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I've done a skirt in two pieces like this before and the effect is very rich. As Edalyne said, it'll add a lot to the appearance and depth of the skirt :) But yeah, just be careful about the added bulk when layering the skirts like this. The first time I tried it, the material I used wasn't flowy enough and didn't hang well, so the two layers looked boxy and too bulky. I seriously looked 15 pounds heavier >.< When I replaced the fabric with something smoother it helped out a lot.

If you decide against the 2 piece skirt, you could also cut out the top skirt in the brighter teal and then just cut a panel of the darker teal to sew into the gap in the front. It could give the illusion of a layered skirt without the added weight and such.

Edalyne
05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Imalamuya - You've worked with leather when you made your crazy tauren last year (i actually kept up with your blog on that last year :P). I'm debating about switching over to t7.5 rogue on my cosplay. How hard is it working with leather/leather-looking type materials in comparison to regular cloths?

Purrcatnip
05-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I was thinking I was going to go with cotton materials, Its my first con and everyone says you get sweaty easily. So, I thought I would use cotton. This way the fabric breathes, hopefully wont be too heavy and will be easy to paint. I also hope it looks more natural.

After seeing Alice's costume, I am going to try the two skirt look. The second skirt is really on the sides, so it should hang ok. If not I guess I will work with it then. There are some things I can do to make it look better if that does become a problem.

:) Very excited to get started.

Imalamuya
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Imalamuya - You've worked with leather when you made your crazy tauren last year (i actually kept up with your blog on that last year :P). I'm debating about switching over to t7.5 rogue on my cosplay. How hard is it working with leather/leather-looking type materials in comparison to regular cloths?

A question for me! Omigoshomigosh! (BTW, same blog this year. ;)

It really depends what you're doing. There's two sides to leatherworking. There's stitching, and there's tooling. Stitching is obvious. Tooling is carving pretty pictures into it and shaping it, to simplify. Rogue T7.5 is primarily going to require tooling. Bonding to rawhide boning to hold form, hours of very carefully soaking it and shaping it, etcetera.
Something like bracers, is really quite easy. I mean, literally, shaping consists of wrapping it around your arm. Shoulders? You'll have to make an entire jig for shoulders, and you'd need at the minimum a dressmaker's dummy for a chest piece. It might be slightly easier if you were to do it overtop of craft foam or the like, and bonding it to that, but it still would be very hard.

Unlike cloth, leather is completely unforgiving. If you screw up a cut, you can NOT patch leather easily. Nicks and gouges can SOMETIMES be patched, but you can't baste in a one inch section because you goofed a measurement. You just can't. And that is incredibly crippling when you literally just wasted a $120 specially dyed shoulder.
With Blizzcon three months out, I honestly would recommend against it with real leather. Even a skilled leatherworker would probably have trouble with that deadline and the amount of tooling in T7.5. It's very challenging.
HOWEVER, what you might do instead, is use pleather and synthetic leathers over foam bases. These can just be bonded down with bonding cement (I love the stuff at Tandy Leather.) They have some of the same caveats - incredibly hard to patch in the best of scenarios, impossible most of the time - but at a much lower pain point. You can also get synthetics in easier to work with shapes - real leather is only sold in things like "sides" and "shoulders" which are exactly what they sound like. (Ima's head, for reference, was made from hair-on-hide Springbok - five of them, to be exact, because that was the only way to get enough of the needed sections or shapes.)

The biggest thing to remember though, is that if you try to sew any of it on a little Singer? You will wreck your machine beyond repair, no question about it. The MINIMUM machine you need for machine sewing any kind of leather is the Bernina Activa 220 or equivalent. A fast machine is very very very bad. You need a LOT of motor torque, you need a VERY sturdy head, and you will break needles. Leather is not like cloth - it has imperfections which can, and frequently do, outright shatter needles. The amount of force required to punch through (and you can't re-stitch!) is much higher than even brocades, because there is no splitting of threads or dodging through weaves. If you go with patterns bonded to craft foam though, you can avoid almost all of this nightmare. :)

Edalyne
05-07-2009, 10:08 PM
That sounds scary!!!!!

Yea, considering the price of real leather, I think the 9.99-12.99 vinyl at Joann's is gonna be a winner on what type of material I use. They had leather at like 34.99. Thats a bit much for me. I know the are shops that specialize in leather too, but I honestly don't know where anything like that is located in my area. I was at Joann's today looking at the vinyl and i know my sewing machine can handle the stuff.

So it looks like real leather is out and in with the synthetic stuff and craft foam! :P

I think I'm gonna officially switch over. I was discussing it with my bf and he was always wondering why I was doing a priest (cuz its pretty! duh!), and when I told him I was considering a rogue he said I should totally do it. He actually came to the fabric store with me to help me look at mats. Normally he hears the words "craft store" or "joann's" and he runs in the other direction. :P

Now to decide if I really want t7.5 or some other set of rogue gear.

alicetehfaerie
05-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Edalyne! If you're doing a rogue, you should totally see if you can make the spinny hand weapons that look so neat :D
I have no idea what any of them are called, never played a rogue, but they look awesome!

Maryssa
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Good luck with tickets everyone.

Edalyne
05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Edalyne! If you're doing a rogue, you should totally see if you can make the spinny hand weapons that look so neat :D
I have no idea what any of them are called, never played a rogue, but they look awesome!

Its Calamity's Grasp! Drops off Kel'Thuzad in 25 man naxx. THat thing would be crazy to make...but oh gosh, Idk what weapons I even want to do. If im making a current set, I'm torn between some of the fist weapons and daggers. Maybe a fist mainhand and an offhand dagger? Its what I usually have on my rogue (tho I have a sword on my offhand right now...) But if Im doing something like tier 2 (bloodfang) then I'll end up doing some older daggers. Idk!!

I have to start planning everything all over again. :P Good thing I was being lazy about my priest and hardly got anywhere or I'd be upset about scrapping it.

Why must I be so indecisive? :P

Imalamuya
05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
That sounds scary!!!!!

Working on Ima's head last year, ignoring the time crunch, I think I was spending 80% of the time cussing and 20% of the time grumbling. When you're doing certain bonds with hair on hide, you have to actually shave the hair off. The gloves were even worse, because I had to shave a 3/8" section around the entire edge, following contours, and any nick at all would ruin them.

Yea, considering the price of real leather, I think the 9.99-12.99 vinyl at Joann's is gonna be a winner on what type of material I use. They had leather at like 34.99. Thats a bit much for me. I know the are shops that specialize in leather too, but I honestly don't know where anything like that is located in my area. I was at Joann's today looking at the vinyl and i know my sewing machine can handle the stuff.

You will get MUCH better leather at Tandy Leather and the like, including synthetics. It's also typically cheaper. Look up Tandy Leather, they probably have a store near you. They also should have lighter weight leather and suede, which while being real leather, is pretty easy to machine sew. It's also not painfully expensive - the suede used on the gloves last year was I think $35 for about a square yard. (Again, it's real, so shapes are screwy.)

I think I'm gonna officially switch over. I was discussing it with my bf and he was always wondering why I was doing a priest (cuz its pretty! duh!), and when I told him I was considering a rogue he said I should totally do it. He actually came to the fabric store with me to help me look at mats. Normally he hears the words "craft store" or "joann's" and he runs in the other direction. :P

Now to decide if I really want t7.5 or some other set of rogue gear.

You should really be scary, and do a piecemeal set with the Bladed Shoulderpads, I think it is. Ginormous spiky wing sorta thing. (I remember them, because I was using them for a while.) :)

TheInfamousBug
05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Its Calamity's Grasp! Drops off Kel'Thuzad in 25 man naxx. THat thing would be crazy to make...but oh gosh, Idk what weapons I even want to do. If im making a current set, I'm torn between some of the fist weapons and daggers. Maybe a fist mainhand and an offhand dagger? Its what I usually have on my rogue (tho I have a sword on my offhand right now...) But if Im doing something like tier 2 (bloodfang) then I'll end up doing some older daggers. Idk!!

I have to start planning everything all over again. :P Good thing I was being lazy about my priest and hardly got anywhere or I'd be upset about scrapping it.

Why must I be so indecisive? :P

I originally planned on Calamity's Grasp for a weapon, with massive spinning action. Then I hit a snag when I was about to go buy materials when I had a second look at it on my troll Shaman: It FLOATS... Yes, the actual spinning blade floats about 5 inches over the grip.

I figured "No problem, just use clear piping or something," and then I realized even moreso "This will have to last a full 12 hours outside two days in a row," and thought to skip it.

Honestly, go with a Saronite Dragon or Pride (One looks like a dragon head, one looks like a bear face). Both would be easier and more durable. I, myself, am tributing the previous Slow/Fast mainhand/offhand combination and going with Saronite Dragon and Webbed Death (Dagger). It's a lot easier together than a single Calamity's Grasp, not to mention, sturdier and in the end.

Imalamuya
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
I don't know that I'd recommend Greed/Pride. They're supposed to actually be made from wood, given every piece of art I've seen. Duplicating that in foam would be very hard, and doing it in actual wood would probably give me nightmares for the rest of my life. ;/

BloodyBandage
05-09-2009, 05:26 AM

DK armor would be really awesome. A buddy of mine goes to these events and he usually wears a simple outfit (more of a relaxed personality I guess). Best of luck with the outfits

The Mer
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
o hai guys. male belf pally with goggles here. Well, probably not this year (if I go). Thinking of something else but unsure. Last year we drove which gave me ample car space. This year - not so much, if anything.

alicetehfaerie
05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
So guys, I was wondering- do you all generally wear your costumes on both days or different ones on each day or just one day? I was thinking of maybe making a lovely black dress and I think us who are gals (or guys too, for the lols) should get together and all wear lovely black dresses one day >.>
Especially those who are going as specific npc's, you should stay as the npc just in a black dress.
You know it'd make for some great pictures :D

BunnyLu
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
So guys, I was wondering- do you all generally wear your costumes on both days or different ones on each day or just one day? I was thinking of maybe making a lovely black dress and I think us who are gals (or guys too, for the lols) should get together and all wear lovely black dresses one day >.>
Especially those who are going as specific npc's, you should stay as the npc just in a black dress.

Neat idea! I think it could work with any of the festival dresses and still be nifty, though. :D

Purrcatnip
05-09-2009, 11:39 PM
If I was attending Blizzcon, I would definitely wanna do a black dress picture. Instead, I am dressing up as my npc for GenCon, but since I am spending so much time and work on it.. I am gonna be wearing it for two days. Then switch to another costume.

I look forward to seeing the pics from blizzcon!

Edalyne
05-10-2009, 02:18 AM

OMG. I had a very similar idea yesterday! I was like - how fun would it be to get four or more gals and go in all the colors!? There are black, red, blue and purple lovely red dresses. I think it would be neat to get a group of girls and all go in different colors.

Most people tend to wear their costume day 1 since that is when the costume contest is. But people do come dressed up both days, just way less. Or they will put on their costume but not bring their weapons/crazy shoulders and stuff like that. I would totally wear my cosplay day one and come in a lovely dress the next day tho.

Imalamuya
05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I will probably be in costume on both days for some period of time, but there's just no way I can do the lovely black dress too. There isn't the time for it, unless somebody has a pattern for it with a lot of alteration allowances built in.

This year, I'm actually going pretty tame on the outfits. (Also, cheating and using off the rack stuff wherever possible.) There'll be several, in part because of the character. Black slacks and the purple brocade blouse (purple with gold butterflies! You can get the fabric at Joann!) should fit in with festival dresses rather nicely. The fact that it lets me show off the hooves with the slacks certainly doesn't hurt either. ;)

alicetehfaerie
05-10-2009, 01:39 PM
OMG. I had a very similar idea yesterday! I was like - how fun would it be to get four or more gals and go in all the colors!? There are black, red, blue and purple lovely red dresses. I think it would be neat to get a group of girls and all go in different colors.

Most people tend to wear their costume day 1 since that is when the costume contest is. But people do come dressed up both days, just way less. Or they will put on their costume but not bring their weapons/crazy shoulders and stuff like that. I would totally wear my cosplay day one and come in a lovely dress the next day tho.

Let's do it then! We'll go with whatever color looks best on whatever character, I guess. I'm pretty certain with my draenei skin color (gonna be lavendar, most likely) the purple or red wouldn't look good, so I'll go with either blue or black.
The blue is such a lovely blue, though.
What do you think?
I'm kind of worrying that two days straight on my feet all day in those boots are gonna be hell but I'm going to be wearing them as much as possible as soon as they get to me.

TheInfamousBug
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
If someone can make an extra lovely black dress for a guy (IE: Flatchestedness or fake boobs allowed), I'd be the idiot in one. I just don't have time with my times constraints on my current work >.<;

alicetehfaerie
05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
If someone can make an extra lovely black dress for a guy (IE: Flatchestedness or fake boobs allowed), I'd be the idiot in one. I just don't have time with my times constraints on my current work >.<;

If you find someone to you better make sure you learn the human male dance :3

Edalyne
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
lawl! I'm going as a belf and with the hairstyle that has a blue headband with red gem stones. So if i do a dress I would probably go red or blue so it could match my headband :P

Making a pattern is what would be a pain for the dresses. And it would be nice if everyone in the group used the same pattern so they look the same. I don't have time for that. :P

alicetehfaerie
05-10-2009, 09:55 PM
lawl! I'm going as a belf and with the hairstyle that has a blue headband with red gem stones. So if i do a dress I would probably go red or blue so it could match my headband :P

Making a pattern is what would be a pain for the dresses. And it would be nice if everyone in the group used the same pattern so they look the same. I don't have time for that. :P

Haha that reminds me, the headband I have is purple so I'd need either the purple or black dress.
I sent a message to the twins asking if they wanted to do this with us... I'm going to be asking my boyfriend's mom if she's good at making something without a pattern, I'm actually kinda bad at it but if we can get someone to come up with a pattern for the dresses then we could definitely use the same one for all.
... I may have just run into a problem, though, I was planning on wearing leggings with my costume to color my legs and also cover most of my hoof boots, but I don't think that would look right with the dress... obviously I'd have to wear a thong for the sides of the dress to be right but now I'm worrying that I might just have to be a blood elf if I can't think of a way to cover my boots and my legs without it looking bad. :(

Imalamuya
05-11-2009, 03:13 AM
*sheepish*
Yeah, there's a reason I go Tauren. Something about fur and fetlocks, which make it easy to hide the laces and everything. Not so good in emergency, mind. To be quite honest, I don't recommend covering up the boots to the extent I do unless you are truly comfortable in them. And even then, you really do need to be able to pull up or remove any covering.
Let me think on it a bit. Best option offhand though, would be some sort of matching boots to go over the boots. Wrap around with a back lace or back zipper. The problem is the pattern.

alicetehfaerie
05-11-2009, 07:21 AM
*sheepish*
Yeah, there's a reason I go Tauren. Something about fur and fetlocks, which make it easy to hide the laces and everything. Not so good in emergency, mind. To be quite honest, I don't recommend covering up the boots to the extent I do unless you are truly comfortable in them. And even then, you really do need to be able to pull up or remove any covering.
Let me think on it a bit. Best option offhand though, would be some sort of matching boots to go over the boots. Wrap around with a back lace or back zipper. The problem is the pattern.

I think I may try to go with this tutorial: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=174489&highlight=hoof+tutorial
I think her boots looked fantastic last year and though I probably won't be going with the cleft hooves (I might give them a go and see how they turn out, though) the 'sock' she made for the boot seemed to look really nice in the final pictures.
If you think of something easier/better, though, I'm definitely open to suggestions.

alicetehfaerie
05-11-2009, 12:27 PM
So, Edalyne- I asked on another cosplay community that I'm on how they think I should go about making the lovely dress and I got back the most amazing response, I love it when people are really descriptive and helpful. So, this is what I've got so far:

"You should look for a black dress pattern that has the same basic shape. You'll want a long, backless gown with a similar neckline over the cups.
Somthing like Simplicity 2640 seems like it would work well if you change the positioning of the straps and lower the back down do just above the butt. It looks like you'll also need to round off the shape of the top of the cups, but it seems like a good pattern otherwise.
Go here and type in the pattern number: http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=search.cfm

After that, it won't be hard to leave those slits on the sideseam and add some grommets or somthing like that for the laces. You'll have to cut out the heart in the front on your own. I highly suggest facing the back with a stiff interfacing so that it doesn't warp while you move.

You basically want to draw the heart shape on your interfacing.

Cut out the middle, and leave about an inch and a half between that inside line and where you cut out the outside. This will leave you with a somewhat larger-looking heart shape with a hole in the middle.

Cut out another shape like this from your black material, but leave another inch and a half or so on the outside for seam allowances.

When you cut the same shape out of the middle of the actual dress, you'll pin the interfacing and then the other material (wrong side down, on top of the interfacing) on top of that pattern. Stitch around the heart shape, and clip notches in the seam allowance around the curve.

You want to flip the facing inside the dress now and see if you can't get that heart shape to lay flat. That'll leave it hemmed without you trying to have to turn out that heart shape and tack it down, plus the interfacing will give the shape stability, and the dress fabric on the inside will keep it from getting itchy.

There should be enough extra fabric on the black facing peice to flip it under the interfacing now. You can stitch around the outside of the facing to keep that peice from fraying, but don't actually stitch it back down to the dress, or you'll have a really big heart stitched around the cutout peice, and you don't want that :X

I'd also recommend trying all this out on a muslin mock-up dress first, to make sure you don't accidentally ruin your dress fabric if you need to change somthing. The other two changes you'll have to make to your source pattern will be really minor. though"

So, when I get the money (probably in a few weeks since all the money I've got is going towards booking a hotel room if I get my ticket Saturday) I'll go to a craft store and get some cheap, on sale fabric and try it out- and if it turns out right I'll let you all know.
:D
I told my boyfriend that I'd be working on a second costume and he almost got mad, said I didn't need a second costume but when I mentioned I'd be wearing the lovely dress with (hopefully) three other girls he shut up. He's hoping for the twins to say yes to me asking >.> Boys.

Edalyne
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Hahahaha @ the bf Alice. :P And its only an additional dress. Its not like you're creating an extra costume thats a tier set or something that needs weapons and shoulders and other crazy things. YOu can prolly work on it and hour here and there and have it done in like a week or two depending on your pacing and if u mess up anything.

So yea, let me know how it goes. If it works out, I'm up for it and I claim BLUE. I would go and try it myself, but I really don't have time to make a mock dress right now. I have the fabric, just not the time. Right now I'd rather spend my free time figuring out my rogue stuff and finishing up my other (non-WoW) costume. The post you got does sound pretty helpful and has some good instructions. So hopefully it all works out.

And ugh...I'm still debating about tier 2 or 7.5. I really like both. :P Except the head piece for 7.5. If i went with 7.5 I think I'd just replace it with a typical rogue bandanna type thing...Cuz that thing makes me think of sad/angry clowns and thats creepy :P

Ref of 7.5:
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2008/october/bonescythe_battlegear25.jpg

alicetehfaerie
05-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Hahahaha @ the bf Alice. :P And its only an additional dress. Its not like you're creating an extra costume thats a tier set or something that needs weapons and shoulders and other crazy things. YOu can prolly work on it and hour here and there and have it done in like a week or two depending on your pacing and if u mess up anything.

So yea, let me know how it goes. If it works out, I'm up for it and I claim BLUE. I would go and try it myself, but I really don't have time to make a mock dress right now. I have the fabric, just not the time. Right now I'd rather spend my free time figuring out my rogue stuff and finishing up my other (non-WoW) costume. The post you got does sound pretty helpful and has some good instructions. So hopefully it all works out.

And ugh...I'm still debating about tier 2 or 7.5. I really like both. :P Except the head piece for 7.5. If i went with 7.5 I think I'd just replace it with a typical rogue bandanna type thing...Cuz that thing makes me think of sad/angry clowns and thats creepy :P

Ref of 7.5:
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2008/october/bonescythe_battlegear25.jpg

If I get my dress done and it turns out really well I'll gladly make yours for you if you buy the boy and I lunch one day of Blizzcon :3 Especially if you've got the fabric, that makes it that much easier.

As far as your costume... I think tier 2 looks so much cooler (and maybe less difficult than) 7.5... the shoulders for 7.5 make me angry for some reason, lol.
I also really like the colors for tier 2 as well.

Shaylyn
05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Bloodfang all the way! If you have time you could totally make Mandokir's Sting to sling across your back too >.>

Imalamuya
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
RARGH. Anyone have a good source online for 2-way and 4-way stretch fur? Also, blue wefts.

Nothing like finding your suppliers lacking to screw up everything in a hurry.

alicetehfaerie
05-11-2009, 08:39 PM
RARGH. Anyone have a good source online for 2-way and 4-way stretch fur? Also, blue wefts.

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=SLDSHTFUR maybe? I dunno, I just googled it.
I'm not very useful :(
http://www.montereymills.com/index.php?id=12 I think this is two way stretch too.

Edalyne
05-12-2009, 12:58 AM

No clue on the fur. :( But are you talking about wig hair wefts? Or like a weft of fur? (idk if wefts of fur is even right terminolgy)

Tandy leather - closest one to me is over an hour away :(

I've decided on Tier 2. Yay! I was actually looking around for fake leather today in a few places. Joann's had some black for sale at $7 a yard that I may pick up soon if i dont find anything better (they had ALOT). Walmart had some for the same price. Walmart's black pleather looked kindy funky to me, however, the red i think is perfect for the hood cuz its a dark red. The head piece is a darker shade of red than the rest of the set, so I think I'll pick that up for the head piece and go hunting for some other shade of red elsewhere. Cuz I think the shade of red at joanns is a little too bright...its like firetruck red. :P

And you're crazy Shaylyn. I'm not making a bow no matter how awesome that would be! :P I hardly know how to make a dagger/sword. I might make a thrown tho, and just tuck it in my belt. I didn't raid pre-BC (I started playing the summer before BC, so I didn't have a 60 yet cuz i was still trying out different classes and stuff). Idk if there are any cool looking thrown weapons that were used at the time. I'll have to look that up.

ref of t2 for hood:
http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4201/ss157ew.jpg

Maryssa
05-12-2009, 02:32 AM
the black dress idea is really cute. though it wont really... go with what im making this year. heh.

Edalyne
05-12-2009, 02:38 AM
the black dress idea is really cute. though it wont really... go with what im making this year. heh.

I can't wait to see what you're doing. All of ur costumes are fantastic. Your lady Vashj was nuts and awesome. So I'm wondering what you'll produce this year. :D

Maryssa
05-12-2009, 02:46 AM
oh thank you! ^^
it's a much more involved project, and im not 100% sure ill get it done, but im excited about it.

Shaylyn
05-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally there were no good thrown weapons at 60, but eventually I think they added a blue axe or two. I think one was from... the beastmaster guy in Lower Blackrock Spire, level 52 or something. The graphic is just a plain little axe. But yeah... for rogues it was pretty much Ancient Bone Bow -> Mandokir's Sting -> Striker's Mark -> Heartstriker when raiding through Blackwing Lair. I remember that really well because the same rogue took Striker's Mark and Heartstriker from me in the same week. Jerk.

Imalamuya
05-12-2009, 12:16 PM
No clue on the fur. :( But are you talking about wig hair wefts? Or like a weft of fur? (idk if wefts of fur is even right terminolgy)

Wig wefts. I need someone who actually stocks things, instead of waiting for enough orders to get their wholesale pricing to ship. :P

Tandy leather - closest one to me is over an hour away :(

Yeah, they don't always have good locations, sadly.

I've decided on Tier 2. Yay! I was actually looking around for fake leather today in a few places. Joann's had some black for sale at $7 a yard that I may pick up soon if i dont find anything better (they had ALOT). Walmart had some for the same price. Walmart's black pleather looked kindy funky to me, however, the red i think is perfect for the hood cuz its a dark red. The head piece is a darker shade of red than the rest of the set, so I think I'll pick that up for the head piece and go hunting for some other shade of red elsewhere. Cuz I think the shade of red at joanns is a little too bright...its like firetruck red. :P

Walmart is definitely the supplier of absolute last resort. Lowest quality they can get away with, and then they cut more corners. It's bad stuff. Really bad stuff. I'd check your yellow pages for leatherworkers or leather supply shops. Depending on where you live, there might be a local one much closer than Tandy.
Tier 2 should be real interesting, haven't seen that in a while. I was tempted to build out the armor that's going on my badge, but then I realized that was just outright suicidal - it'd be a full year project to do the BoJ 70 Shaman pieces, best case. (Especially since I'm a perfectionist.) Always did like Rogue T2 though. :)

Edalyne
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
I've bought walmart fabric before. I once bought some crushed penne (which they rarely have) and it was prettier and nicer than the stuff at joanns and cheaper. BUt yea, Ive never used their fake leather stuff. So idk. Like I said I'll look around still.

And poop on no cool thrown weapons. Oh well. MAYBE if I have time I'll make a bow. :P But it all depends on how much I procrastinate on everything else.

Weapons wise for me. I think I want to do the chromatically tempered sword. And I for sure want to do the dragonfang blade dagger. :)

sword: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19352
Dagger: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19346

Still debating about the sword tho. But i haven't found anything else that is tier 2 quality that i liked. I dont want to go and make lv 80 weapons for a lv 60 set. :P

Keyoko
05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Gawd I wanna go to blizzcon. But sadly Im a poor panda. I will however be cosplaying as a draenei hunter in toronto this summer. I have already picked up some bits and pieces for it. Planning on making some cool digilegs and hoofs for it.

Shaylyn
05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Still debating about the sword tho. But i haven't found anything else that is tier 2 quality that i liked. I dont want to go and make lv 80 weapons for a lv 60 set. :P

There's also the High Warlord's Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=16345), one or both of the Twin Blades of the Hakkari (http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=461), Vis'kag the Bloodletter (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=17075), or the Brutality Blade (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=18832). These are all AROUND the same item level as the Dragonfang Blade. Well, there's always Thunderfury too ;) Of all of these, Chromatically Tempered Sword probably looks the coolest.

If you wanted to sneak a LITTLE higher you could check out the AQ weapons, but if I remember correctly the AQ weapons kind of look like fish or beetles.

Incendive
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM

I recall seeing a lot of Bloodfang rogues running around with the Corehound Tooth http://www.wowhead.com/?item=18805 and even a few with Maladath http://www.wowhead.com/?item=19351.

Can't wait to see some progress on your end!

Reformed Tomboy
05-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone! Newbie here!
I'm planning on my first cosplay for BlizzCon this year. I've just started planning out my robes of insight ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=940 ), but I had a question: with this much skin showing, do I need some kind of skin suit or something? Suggestions? I'm not really sure what the 'standard' is for stuff like that..
Thanks for the help, and I hope to see everyone there ^.~

Edalyne
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
OMG STOP THROWING ALL THESE WEAPONS AT ME!!! lol. Now Idk what I want to do again. :P

Chorehound Tooth is cool thats a maybe. Maladath looks neat - but since I've never made a weapon before I doubt I'll be able to make the lion head hilt.

Highwarlords blade is a maybe now too along with the Twin blade (Green = My fav color...So I'm tempted to maybe even make two if i decide on it...) and the brutality blade. I dig the Vis Kag bloodletter, but idk about making it. It looks like three swords in one :P

Damn you all for confusing me on my weapon choices! Lol. Ty for your help :) Those are great suggestions. No more tho ok? :P I'm gonna try to narrow it down from the list I got.

And progress on my end wont be starting for another 2 weeks or so. Too much school work right now to really get anything done >.< And I still need to go buy some fake leather. I should prolly go get a roll of craft foam too, not sure how much I need since I do have like a bunch of sheets of the big rectangles and even more smaller ones. Maybe I'll start my weapon first since I have some mats on that. :P

Shaylyn
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The Twin Blades of the Hakkari would probably be some of the simplest to make and the contest rules say "no edged weapons," which would make them even easier. Add to it that they're identical and you get some pretty fun to work with props! They're not overly large or thick so it'd be very possible to make the blades out of light wood or craft foam. If you do decide to work with wood I have jig saw that has made my past wood projects a breeze :)

Edalyne
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM
I've never worked with wood in my life. Unless you count chopping it up and throwing it into a fire when camping. :P So I wouldn't know where to start. Ok, I guess I'd start at some tutorial. :P But wood would be neat...Maybe my bf could help me. He took woodshop classes in high school (lol like 8 years ago).

But yea...I really like them. I'm leaning heavily toward them. And looking up a t2 cosplay from blizzcon 07...The guy had both the chromatically tempered sword and the dragonfang blade! I dont want to copy his weapon choice :P

Also since I'm a nub at making them, making two of the same item would be easier than planning for two separate and completely different ones.

Shaylyn
05-13-2009, 03:00 PM
hehe you've still got lots of time but I'd gladly cut the basic shape of the blades out for you :) I'm very meticulous when it comes to drafting shapes and such so you wouldn't have to worry about the quality and I love making things (anything).

alicetehfaerie
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone! Newbie here!
I'm planning on my first cosplay for BlizzCon this year. I've just started planning out my robes of insight ( http://www.wowhead.com/?item=940 ), but I had a question: with this much skin showing, do I need some kind of skin suit or something? Suggestions? I'm not really sure what the 'standard' is for stuff like that..
Thanks for the help, and I hope to see everyone there ^.~

I'm not really sure either, but are you going as a character who has normal colored skin, or different? If it's going to be different then probably the body suit, but if it's just normal skin and you don't mind showing off your body and you make sure the dress is going to stay in place and everything, then I think you'll be fine with no suit :)
Then again, I don't know the standard for this stuff either, this is just my opinion.

Reformed Tomboy
05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not really sure either, but are you going as a character who has normal colored skin, or different? If it's going to be different then probably the body suit, but if it's just normal skin and you don't mind showing off your body and you make sure the dress is going to stay in place and everything, then I think you'll be fine with no suit :)
Then again, I don't know the standard for this stuff either, this is just my opinion.

I'm going as a blood elf. All their skin tones are pretty normal, so I know I can pull it off. I had planned on not wearing anything special, except maybe leggings and gloves to help keep warm. Maybe even a half cloak if I get enough fabric? Thanks for your input, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. The con's months away and already I'm a ball of nerves hahahaha.

alicetehfaerie
05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm going as a blood elf. All their skin tones are pretty normal, so I know I can pull it off. I had planned on not wearing anything special, except maybe leggings and gloves to help keep warm. Maybe even a half cloak if I get enough fabric? Thanks for your input, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. The con's months away and already I'm a ball of nerves hahahaha.

Oh, I understand. My boyfriend's already tired of me talking about Blizzcon and costumes, and I have one costume almost all the way done... and I'm still worried about getting it done and over with, and we've still got a while before the con. It needs to get here already!

Edalyne
05-14-2009, 12:58 AM

Haha! Im freaking out over my costume too. It'll be my first time cosplaying at blizzcon.

Unless you feel insecure about showin your actual skin (which I'm sure you don't picking such a dress), I wouldn't worry about a body suit. I think Alice got it right on.

Are you gonna make any weapons or anything else? Or just a dress and maybe a cloak?

Speaking of cloak, I got out of class early today and got materials for a cloak! I got this pretty black velvet (not the crushed penne kind) and I'm lining it with this dark blood red silky lining. I hope it turns out well. I had originally thought of making something from the game, but I wanted the colors to match the rest of my cosplay and don't feel like making random pretty designs on the edges and stuff. :P

Reformed Tomboy
05-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Haha! Im freaking out over my costume too. It'll be my first time cosplaying at blizzcon.

Unless you feel insecure about showin your actual skin (which I'm sure you don't picking such a dress), I wouldn't worry about a body suit. I think Alice got it right on.

Are you gonna make any weapons or anything else? Or just a dress and maybe a cloak?

Speaking of cloak, I got out of class early today and got materials for a cloak! I got this pretty black velvet (not the crushed penne kind) and I'm lining it with this dark blood red silky lining. I hope it turns out well. I had originally thought of making something from the game, but I wanted the colors to match the rest of my cosplay and don't feel like making random pretty designs on the edges and stuff. :P

hehehe, no I'm not shy about my body at all.

I picked this dress because I love it, and I hang around in town wearing it. I was thinking about making my mace (Titansteel Guardian), and my offhand (some book or other), but I wouldn't even know where to begin on the mace. I found a paper-mache book that I could paint, but without a mainhand weap it seems silly to have an off-hand :P I'm in so far over my head as it is, I'm hesitant to add a weap too, unless I could commission someone for cheep.

And then there's the issue of my being cold, so I am leaning toward making a cloak as well. Probably not one from the game though as I'd want it to be able to cover my shoulders/torso while I'm inside. The matching thing is a big issue for me too: unless you have a set, things in game just don't match. So I'll most likely end up doing something like you did and just making one I could use for other stuff as well.

Keyoko
05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I was planning on going for over a year, and then out of no where, I became flat broke. :( No trip to blizzcon this year :(

Is it really going to be that cold? I mean..I havent been there before, but have been to conventions, and its usually ridiculous warm being dressed up, and a dream to be dressed up as someone/something that doesnt have much clothing on heh ;)

And re-roll a hunter ;) Every piece of freakin gear looks the same, so you always match. Or my draenei is just stylin with out even tryin ^_^

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I was thinking about making my mace (Titansteel Guardian), and my offhand (some book or other), but I wouldn't even know where to begin on the mace. I found a paper-mache book that I could paint, but without a mainhand weap it seems silly to have an off-hand :P I'm in so far over my head as it is, I'm hesitant to add a weap too, unless I could commission someone for cheep.

And then there's the issue of my being cold, so I am leaning toward making a cloak as well.

I was thinking about making an offhand book type thing as well but then I realized that I was going to make a staff to help me with walking, and a staff is two handed so I wouldn't have a slot for an offhand >.>. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to transport the staff since I'm going by plane, but I might figure out something. I wish I could make Anathema/Benediction :(
What I was going to do with the book, though, is make a hollowed out one, so that I could carry around things as well and have it match my costume- I'd feel kinda bad making my boyfriend carry everything but he might just have to on the first day.
And on the forums they were talking about how they keep the air conditioning blasting, so the cloak is a good idea, even though it'll be August outside.

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 08:48 AM
So I posted a picture of my tendrils before, but my boyfriend is determined that they aren't good enough... he linked me to a picture of Tonksie's costume (http://www.cosplay.com/i/costumes/200/179834.jpg) and said that her tendrils looked better, that I should see what she used, and also that her horns look like they're coming out of her head. I told him, "Sweetheart, she used model magic. That's how I got the idea to use it for my tendrils. Also, her horns are glued to a headband, they just look really nice in pictures :)"
He still thinks my tendrils aren't quite perfect, so what do you guys think? Should I get some more model magic and try and redo them?
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/193/93/660628930/n660628930_1779570_3401056.jpg
Also the one on the right looks like it's short but it just snuck itself under my shirt :)

Shaylyn
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM
So I posted a picture of my tendrils before, but my boyfriend is determined that they aren't good enough... he linked me to a picture of Tonksie's costume (http://www.cosplay.com/i/costumes/200/179834.jpg) and said that her tendrils looked better, that I should see what she used, and also that her horns look like they're coming out of her head. I told him, "Sweetheart, she used model magic. That's how I got the idea to use it for my tendrils. Also, her horns are glued to a headband, they just look really nice in pictures :)"
He still thinks my tendrils aren't quite perfect, so what do you guys think? Should I get some more model magic and try and redo them?
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3352/193/93/660628930/n660628930_1779570_3401056.jpg
Also the one on the right looks like it's short but it just snuck itself under my shirt :)

Oh wow no, I think they look really good. Unless I'm missing something that's only seen in person, they look smooth, uniform and believable to me.

Also, I ran into something that could be a big snag in my trip to Blizzcon but it's not 100% going to keep me from going. I won't know until later... should I buy the tickets now and then sell them at face value to someone else later if it turns out I can't go?

Reformed Tomboy
05-14-2009, 12:10 PM
I was planning on going for over a year, and then out of no where, I became flat broke. :( No trip to blizzcon this year :(

Is it really going to be that cold? I mean..I havent been there before, but have been to conventions, and its usually ridiculous warm being dressed up, and a dream to be dressed up as someone/something that doesnt have much clothing on heh ;)

And re-roll a hunter ;) Every piece of freakin gear looks the same, so you always match. Or my draenei is just stylin with out even tryin ^_^

Oh no! :( The same thing happened to me last year. I have gone to the first two, but missed the third one.

Yeah, it's super hot outside, and they blast the air inside. I run cold, so I definitely need a cloak.

hehe, I've played every class up to 15 or so, but can't make it very far after that on anything except clothies.

alicetehfaerie, yes that is exactly what I was going to do as well with the hollow book. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it though. That would be the easiest thing to make, so I'll save it for July to decide. And your tendrils look amazing, don't change a thing.

Edalyne
05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Also, I ran into something that could be a big snag in my trip to Blizzcon but it's not 100% going to keep me from going. I won't know until later... should I buy the tickets now and then sell them at face value to someone else later if it turns out I can't go?

Oh noes! /cry I want to meet you there and take pictures of our cosplays.

I would buy tickets and sell them later to someone if anything. Last year there was so many scalpers that sold tickets. Then there was the occasional thread on the blizzcon forums where someone found out they couldn't go and sold them for face value - soo many people jumped those threads hoping to get those tickets. If blizzcon sales are in high demand like last year, then you'll have no problem selling them in case you can't go. So you should buy your tickets so you're not left ticketless if you can go.

Edalyne
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM

They look great! I wouldn't redo them, they photographed really well.

Shaylyn
05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks Edalyne :) I think I'll do that! Seriously though, I'll probably cry if I can't go :P

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks all for the input on the tendrils :)
I'm going to start working on the lovely dress probably next week after I get paid, since all the money I have right now is going towards getting to Blizzcon, if I get the tickets Saturday.
Also, /sigh, my boyfriend has decided he wants a costume, too, since a lot of the people we're going to be meeting up with will have a costume. When asked what he wants to be, all I get is a blank look and an 'i unno'
I just wish he had decided on something sooner, I'm crazy about getting things done as soon as I can.
Today we'll be sitting down with wow model viewer and picking him out something :)

Shaylyn
05-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks all for the input on the tendrils :)
I'm going to start working on the lovely dress probably next week after I get paid, since all the money I have right now is going towards getting to Blizzcon, if I get the tickets Saturday.
Also, /sigh, my boyfriend has decided he wants a costume, too, since a lot of the people we're going to be meeting up with will have a costume. When asked what he wants to be, all I get is a blank look and an 'i unno'
I just wish he had decided on something sooner, I'm crazy about getting things done as soon as I can.
Today we'll be sitting down with wow model viewer and picking him out something :)

Sounds like fun! Good luck :) I'll cross my fingers and hope he picks something on the simpler side ;)

Reformed Tomboy
05-14-2009, 02:23 PM
When asked what he wants to be, all I get is a blank look and an 'i unno'

hahahahaha typical boy

Thank goodness mine doesn't want to dress up. He's fine with me going off on my own for pictures/attention as long as he gets to see his starcraft matches.

Edalyne
05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
hahahahaha typical boy

Thank goodness mine doesn't want to dress up. He's fine with me going off on my own for pictures/attention as long as he gets to see his starcraft matches.

That sounds like mine. He doesn't care about a costume at all for blizzcon. I asked him if he wants a tabard or anything and he said no. Good, its less work for me. :P And he doesn't care if we split up for a bit. We did that alot last year and the year before cuz we wanted to go do different panels that happened at the same time and stuff. Or I didn't care about a panel he wanted to go to so I did something else in the mean time.

I just dont want him being pushed to the side all the time if people were to actually want pics of me. :P

Shaylyn - I'd cry too if I couldnt go :P I'm gonna cry if I dont get tickets. :P Good thing we got two chances.

Shaylyn
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Blizzard should seriously consider having a hotline for people who have been traumatized by not getting Blizzcon tickets. If I don't get tickets I'll probably drive down and take pictures in front of the convention center with everyone anyway. Spent too much time talking to all of you on here to miss it!

Amalaa
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
since this will be my first cosplay.. ever... I'm going as something simple. My favorite NPC in Dalaran. She wears a simple shirt and skirt, I know it won't win the contest but I'm here to have fun!! And I think everyone will love me because I will have goodies!!! (but will only be giving them to my fellow guildies, devs, and other cosplayers!!)

I'm going as Aimee <Pie, pastry, & Cakes>
I'm a baker irl and I just fell in love with her when I first went to dal... I vendor all my crap with her!! hehe

a few questions..

she wears a pheasant top half shirt thing (again, I'm a noob). do you know of a place where I can buy one already made? I've looked at a couple of sites but all they have is anime shirts..

also, I really don't like showing my belly b/c I still have baby fat and nasty stretch marks from when I was pregnant 3 years ago. I know that there are things out there that performers wear that make it look like skin, buts its not.. any ideals?

and ears... I'm lost on that one!!!:confused:

all your help would greatly be appreciated!!!

can't wait till blizzcon!!!

Reformed Tomboy
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
and ears... I'm lost on that one!!!:confused:
can't wait till blizzcon!!!

I thought about going as an NPC, but decided on going as my character instead :) I always vendor stuff with her while I'm in Dal!

I don't have much help to offer besides this site that sells elf ears. http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elfears.php I have the ones listed as "H." I need more practice putting them on though, it's harder than they make it sound.

Also I just realized: eyebrows! Blood elves have those long eyebrows, what should I do for that? if anything?

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm going as Aimee <Pie, pastry, & Cakes>
I'm a baker irl and I just fell in love with her when I first went to dal... I vendor all my crap with her!! hehe

a few questions..

she wears a pheasant top half shirt thing (again, I'm a noob). do you know of a place where I can buy one already made? I've looked at a couple of sites but all they have is anime shirts..

also, I really don't like showing my belly b/c I still have baby fat and nasty stretch marks from when I was pregnant 3 years ago. I know that there are things out there that performers wear that make it look like skin, buts its not.. any ideals?

For the shirt, hmm...
I'm finding some shirts that are kind of similar but they're backless... called choli, here's a link to one: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23864650&ref=sr_gallery_9&&ga_search_query=belly+dance&ga_search_type=category&category=clothing.women&ga_page=5&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
Then there are more peasant style tops that aren't backless: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20608763

And for the skin thing, I dunno... I'd probably wear a corset or just make the shirt normal sized instead of showing off the belly.

I agree on the ears from ardani, I have my blood elf ears from there (I was a priest for halloween) and I'll be getting some for my draenei as well :)

SvK
05-14-2009, 06:01 PM
When asked what he wants to be, all I get is a blank look and an 'i unno'
Level 1 Human Male Warrior

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Level 1 Human Male Warrior

I like it! Cheap, and easy!
He probably won't like it, though. If he can't make up his mind after we look at ideas then that's what I'll make him be :)

alicetehfaerie
05-14-2009, 10:23 PM
It is decided! After I (jokingly) told him he could be a level one human, he just shrugged and said 'sounds good'
So! I get to make a level one human paladin costume for my boy (he likes the hammer, lol). I'm pretty certain it's going to be easy and cheap :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I tried to get him to do Heigan, I thing that'd be so much fun to make/cosplay, but he was determined that if he did that he'd have to have a huge, real beard and not a fake one... :(
I was looking forward to playing the safety dance around him, lol.

Tonksie
05-14-2009, 11:26 PM

I think your tendril's are amazing!! They look much better than mine, I was just lucky to have black hair and a black headband :) I had such a struggle with mine, didn't even get all 4 of em on there and then one of them broke the night before and I had to glue it back on last minute. Word of warning, tendrils of model magic break easily >.< I'm thinking I might add some wire or something to mine this year.

For my first and only costume at this point though, I was pretty pleased with the results.

Now I know how awesome everyone's costumes are going to be though, so I'm super nervous. Also, time to hit the gym!!!

Amalaa
05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
It is decided! After I (jokingly) told him he could be a level one human, he just shrugged and said 'sounds good'
So! I get to make a level one human paladin costume for my boy (he likes the hammer, lol). I'm pretty certain it's going to be easy and cheap :)

Very nice!! last year during Blizzcon my friends and I were discussing having one guy go as lvl "80 uber leet whatever" and another as a "lvl 10 noob" that wants to duel the 80... there is an elaborate routine to go along with it that contains signs like the coyote and roadrunner cartoons....

too bad the main mastermind can't go this year :(

Edalyne
05-15-2009, 12:14 AM

A girl went as a lv 1 warrior female last year and looked pretty neat.

Amalaa - Search for things like Renaissance/pirate/peasant long-sleeved blouse. There are plenty around the web. U just gotta find the most similar one and modify it a bit. If you're kinda iffy about showing skin, then don't modify it to show your stomach as much, like Alice said.

PS: You MUST paint your toenails blue. Hers are! :P

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 12:29 AM

haha yeah.. my toes are normally blue or french tips, but yeah I've taken a bunch of SS so I can get the skirt right..

does anyone have a pattern for the robes/skirts? They seem to fall the same, but I went looking at costume patterns today at Jo-anns and didn't seem to notice a pattern that fell right.. a certain brand and # ?

Thanks for the advice everyone!! it all helps!! I'm all giddy and crap b/c I'm actually doing this. I just love working on projects!!

TheInfamousBug
05-15-2009, 01:25 AM
This thread got busy really quick, now :p

Good luck on tickets in a couple days - I'm planning on getting one spare ticket for a friend that might go... But if he doesn't, I'll have a spare. And as much as I love my guild - Cosplay wins out, if only for the fact that we spend money to spend more money to show it off. I figure we need something, right?

In any event - Just now started talking to my friend about my weapons (Golden Saronite / Webbed Death). Said they're coming along good so far, but I won't get to see them until they're done - They want to get them right before they show me - Superstition or something... But my costume's on hold right now... I just got told I'm supposed to train to become a certified trainer at my resturaunt, so I'm studying my butt off to get there quickly. Yay me (And boo me, too). Hopefully I'll have some time to sit down with my helper and work on getting the costume itself put together ^.^

alicetehfaerie
05-15-2009, 08:24 AM
I think your tendril's are amazing!! They look much better than mine, I was just lucky to have black hair and a black headband :) I had such a struggle with mine, didn't even get all 4 of em on there and then one of them broke the night before and I had to glue it back on last minute. Word of warning, tendrils of model magic break easily >.< I'm thinking I might add some wire or something to mine this year.

For my first and only costume at this point though, I was pretty pleased with the results.

Now I know how awesome everyone's costumes are going to be though, so I'm super nervous. Also, time to hit the gym!!!

Thanks!
I really liked how your costume turned out last year, and I meant to ask- what kind of paint did you use for your skin? I've got some of Mehron's coming in today, so I'll be playing around with it, and I made sure to get the setting stuff for it too. Did you put it on your hands too? How did that last?

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM
haha yeah.. my toes are normally blue or french tips, but yeah I've taken a bunch of SS so I can get the skirt right..

If you want a reference you can have open when wow isn't open you can use the 3D Viewer on WoWhead.com too! Here's the link to Aimee (http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=29548#.) on there. Just click the little red View in 3D button and her model will come up just like the actual model viewer program :) I think the hair is wrong but the rest looks the same!

LOL that was one of the first things I noticed!!

On another note... I'm with you Tonksie :P I was sick for a month and a half which turned into a junk food eat fest. Oh well, nothing a little (or a lot) time at the gym can't fix >.<

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 11:51 AM
so.. another question... or two...

what is the best sewing machine that is on the cheaper side?

and wowmodelviewer.... which is the best one to dl? there is so many...

oh and anyone live in SoCal? (wow, thats the first time I've said that since living here, haha) b/c I could use a little help thats in person as i'm bad at just reading directions w/o seeing it happen as well....

and oh, anyone still doing the lovely black dress?! I just read thru some of the post and loved that ideal!! I'm tempted to get a pink dress and bunny ears!!

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I live in SoCal (yeah, seriously, I kinda shudder when I use that term!! hehe) but I'm pretty terrible at sewing. I could be your cheering section though!

Give me an A! Give me an M! Give me an A-L-A-A, AMALAA!

Yeah, I never did cheer.

alicetehfaerie
05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
so.. another question... or two...

what is the best sewing machine that is on the cheaper side?

and wowmodelviewer.... which is the best one to dl? there is so many...

oh and anyone live in SoCal? (wow, thats the first time I've said that since living here, haha) b/c I could use a little help thats in person as i'm bad at just reading directions w/o seeing it happen as well....

and oh, anyone still doing the lovely black dress?! I just read thru some of the post and loved that ideal!! I'm tempted to get a pink dress and bunny ears!!

Dunno about the sewing machine, all of mine were given to me by people I knew and the sewing machines are all broken now because they're all so old :( I'm going to be using my boyfriend's moms sewing machine when I need to use one.

I downloaded the latest version of wowmodel viewer, I just assume that it has everything the older ones have but better. It takes a bit to get used to but I'm so glad I got it.

We'll most likely still be doing the lovely dresses, I haven't heard back from the twins (are they actually twins or do we just call them twins because of their costume last year? I don't know :( ) to see if they wanted to join in, but in a few weeks i'll be getting some cheap fabric and modifying a pattern... I'll be hand sewing the practice one so I can easily take it back apart if it turns out right and use it as a pattern for my real dress. Hopefully, if I make everyone else's dresses, they're close to my size so it'll be easier :D

I think the pink dress and bunny ears is a cute idea, and I have a pair of pink bunny ears if you want to borrow them, if you decide to do it :D

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
On a post on the Blizzcon forums last year one of them said "My girlfriend and I" blah blah blah, then somewhere else I read "my sister" and then this year I read "my friend." Who knows :P

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm in SoCal as well, local to Blizzard HQ in Irvine. I've actually driven past it a few times, the place looks so cool!

Sewing though, I can't help you there; I'm going to learn for this. I'm setting up lessons with a local seamstress who's going to help me make the dress. Hopefully I catch on quick and be able to make the cloak on my own, paying for lessons for that too is going to break my bank lol

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm in SoCal as well, local to Blizzard HQ in Irvine. I've actually driven past it a few times, the place looks so cool!

Omg we live so close! I live in Newport Beach but I went to UCI. I usually drive past the Blizzard HQ too when I go to the Irvine Spectrum!

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Omg we live so close! I live in Newport Beach but I went to UCI. I usually drive past the Blizzard HQ too when I go to the Irvine Spectrum!

Yup that's when I see it too! I love the sign. I really do, it's so big and pretty :o

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 01:42 PM

I live in Camarillo my self, but the good ole boyfriend lives across the street from BlizzHQ and he works at the gaming company next door... yay for not having to find a hotel this year for blizzcon!! which is good b/c more money is being spent in materials!! haha

sidenote.. anyone diabetic and would like me to make some of the treats with splenda? b/c seriously.. I'm not eating all the goodies by myself.. trying to get and stay in shape so I can run my half marathons and eventually a full one!! haha.. i'm nuts...

Edalyne
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
cheap sewing machine that is good - stay away from Singer. They used to be "THE" brand.... And still kinda are because of the name. But their quality has dropped dramatically over the years. Reading reviews on them, most of them are not that great unless u into the higher end models. I've used a few Singers that were in the $100-200 range and they all have given me problems >.<

What price range you looking at? Don't go for the mini machines. They're like $50-80, so the price is nice, but you can get a full sewing machine for the same price. And I hear they're terrible from many people and they tend to have crappy reviews. Except the hello kitty ones. I hear the hello kitty mini sewing machines are awesome lol.

ANYWAYS:
Apparently the cheap brother machine at Wal-mart thats like $70 (Here) (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4764724) is pretty good especially for beginners. I was considering getting it for the longest time. However, I ended up with this machine from Sears and love it: Click me (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02015358000P?). Its a sale for $100 right now.
I had also considered This one (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02015343000P) from sears. It has alot of good reviews and its on sale too right now for $85. (If its on sale online, its the same price at the store). ALso if decide to get one at sears, sign up for their email list - you get a $5 off coupon for anything online or in the store :)

Look up reviews before you buy any machine.

And I also live in SoCal (yea..Its weird saying that lol). I'm in Chino. Thats about 25 min from the convention center in Anaheim. But i doubt I'd be any help with sewing. I'm ok at it. But definitely not great. :P Wanna know how I learned to sew? You tube. Seriously. There are so many videos on how to use sewing machines. I started sewing everything by hand and wanted to learn how to use a machine. A friend let me borrow me her machine and some instructions on how to thread it. I got home and totally forgot what she said. So i went on youtube and looked up different lessons. They got videos to do pretty much anything on a sewing machine.

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I live in Camarillo my self, but the good ole boyfriend lives across the street from BlizzHQ and he works at the gaming company next door... yay for not having to find a hotel this year for blizzcon!! which is good b/c more money is being spent in materials!! haha

sidenote.. anyone diabetic and would like me to make some of the treats with splenda? b/c seriously.. I'm not eating all the goodies by myself.. trying to get and stay in shape so I can run my half marathons and eventually a full one!! haha.. i'm nuts...

There's a game company next door? Can you tell me what it is? My bf is in the video game industry and needs a new job, the lazy bum!

Ugh, you just reminded me I wanted to start running :( It's not like I need to lose any weight, but I feel too blubbery, I want my muscles back!

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
There's a game company next door? Can you tell me what it is? My bf is in the video game industry and needs a new job, the lazy bum!

Ugh, you just reminded me I wanted to start running :( It's not like I need to lose any weight, but I feel too blubbery, I want my muscles back!

http://www.papayastudio.com/

they do Wii and other platforms but non for the DS :(
all children games tho...

what does your bf do? mine is a programmer

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks Edalyn!! yeah, the $100 is my price range.. I'll go looking at them this weekend...

and yes Alice, if there are others doing the dress, I will def do the pink dress and would love to borrow the ears if I don't scrounge a pair up myself!!

Edalyne
05-15-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks Edalyn!! yeah, the $100 is my price range.. I'll go looking at them this weekend...

and yes Alice, if there are others doing the dress, I will def do the pink dress and would love to borrow the ears if I don't scrounge a pair up myself!!

awesome. I'm doing blue for sure. If time permits I'll make it myself. If not I'm gonna send some fabric to Alice and buy her lunch or whatever she wants for it. lol. So we got three people now for sure. :D

Damn I gotta hit the gym more often and eat less junk. I'm gonna look terrible in the lovely dress as I am right now. Good thing my bf went on a diet - he has to lose like 20-30 pounds cuz he wants to be a cop, but he's over the weight limit. Since he's on a diet, it means less going out to fast food and crap. :P

Ugh, I need belf ears too. I'm already spending so much money on my costume materials idk about spending another $30 for ears. I remember people from last year saying the made their ears...hmmm.

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Ugh, I need belf ears too. I'm already spending so much money on my costume materials idk about spending another $30 for ears. I remember people from last year saying the made their ears...hmmm.

I found this last night
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Article/Ears.htm

I've ordered my ears but I plan on trying this out. I just wanted to make sure I have good looking ears and will play around with making my own..

it seems complicated, but I've worked with gelatin mold before in baking, just never worked with clay.. so when I do do, I'll post pictures and whatnot

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Are any of you getting green contacts to go with the blood elf costumes? I got purple and I am in love!

Also, I found out I have to work overtime tomorrow. SCREW THAT. The Blizzcon site says tickets will go on sale "Late Saturday morning" but I don't trust that. I'll probably be refreshing my screen from 6 am on >.< I'm gonna get soooo much work done.

Edalyne
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Are any of you getting green contacts to go with the blood elf costumes? I got purple and I am in love!

Also, I found out I have to work overtime tomorrow. SCREW THAT. The Blizzcon site says tickets will go on sale "Late Saturday morning" but I don't trust that. I'll probably be refreshing my screen from 6 am on >.< I'm gonna get soooo much work done.

OOh that sucks! But its good your getting overtime and not having hours cut like some people. Have ur BF trying to buy tickets too!

And I am getting green contacts! You're freaking psychic! I was thinking about that on the way to school today. I normally should wear glasses (keyword:should) but I dont want to wear them for my costume. However, since its all dark inside the convention center I totally need them cuz i can't see far away for crap especially when it dim. So I decided to get a pair of green prescription contacts for the con! I'm gonna go to my optometrist sometime next week and see if I can get a "trail pair" or some that are not too expensive. If not. I'm gonna get my prescription and order some off the internet that I've seen for like $20.

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I was thinking of it, but I've never had contacts so I'm not sure how to put them in... I'll be looking more into that as well this weekend... but I'll have to get blue

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 03:14 PM
I had never worn contacts before either and it took me almost 10 minutes just to get them in the first time! Also, I had to carry eye drops with me because my eyes kept getting really dry. They seriously look amazing though and add a lot to the costume.

If you're looking for good blue contacts I saw some beautiful ones on the "Contact Lenses for Dark Eyes" thread on the... Makeup... forum. I think that's right. I'm think they're something like Sapphire Blue from Acuvue and a lot of people said they were very comfortable.

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 03:16 PM

I already had green conacts, but I plan on wearing a pair, yes.

Also I'll be using neon green eye shadow and liner to try to get the "glowy" look. I got it Hot Topic (I know, I know) but it works great.

Stefboogie
05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
So I looked a few pages back and saw someone posted a link for BE ears. (http://www.aradanicostumes.com/elfears.php)
I was wondering which would make better BE ears: F or H. I'm petite so I don't want it to be super large and/or unproportional. I also noticed someone asked about BE eyebrows. Are there any tips for that yet?

Shaylyn
05-15-2009, 03:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with Hot Topic makeup! It's the perfect amount of drama for costumes. I bought BRIGHT yellow and BRIGHT orange eye shadow last year for my costume. I put it on and... it looked white and brown. It was so disappointing >.< I should have shopped at Hot Topic >.< Do they have bright bright purple there?

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't remebmer. I got the green a while ago for a rave, and it's been a while since I've been to the mall.

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
so..

I told my boyfriend that a coupe of us were planning on making lovely dresses too and I was going to make a pink one and wear bunny ears.. this is his reply
"lol you're killing me baby :P"
me - "why?"
"because i'm gonna have to walk around blizzcon with a girl in a pink dress with bunny ears lol... i don't mind really it is just gonna be funny"
i then said that we could make him a dress too have have fun with a photo shoot! and he says
"oh and their aint no way i am putting on a pink dress and bunny ears and walking around blizzcon lol"

what a pansie!!!

Reformed Tomboy
05-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I just checked the WoW site, and they made an annoucement saying tickets go on sale at 10am tomorrow morning. Now we don't all have to get up way early to f5 all morning!!

Tonksie
05-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks!
I really liked how your costume turned out last year, and I meant to ask- what kind of paint did you use for your skin? I've got some of Mehron's coming in today, so I'll be playing around with it, and I made sure to get the setting stuff for it too. Did you put it on your hands too? How did that last?

I used Kyrolan Aquacolor in light blue for my paint. It worked really well actually, only came off in the areas that rubbed a lot. I needed only about half of one 3.5 oz container, even though I bought 4, haha. Not knowing anything about makeup at the time, I didn't even powder it and it still lasted all day!

I did put it on my hands, it actually lasted very well, except I had to reapply every time I washed my hands after using the restroom. Make sure to bring extra paint along for touch ups! Oh, and it's extremely difficult to use the restroom with a tail btw >.<

I took a stage makeup class this past semester for fun and I learned soooo much that's going to help my draenei out :) I'm excited!!

Good luck getting tickets everyone! I hope you all do, I can't wait to see your costumes!!

Imalamuya
05-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Heads up; there won't be any scalping this year. You now have to register every single person who you're buying tickets for by real name. A month before Blizzcon, you'll get an email with an algorithmically generated barcode and their real name on it. THEY have to pick up their ticket, in person, with valid photo ID that matches their name.

Tomorrow's gonna be interesting.

alicetehfaerie
05-15-2009, 05:39 PM
I used Kyrolan Aquacolor in light blue for my paint. It worked really well actually, only came off in the areas that rubbed a lot. I needed only about half of one 3.5 oz container, even though I bought 4, haha. Not knowing anything about makeup at the time, I didn't even powder it and it still lasted all day!

I did put it on my hands, it actually lasted very well, except I had to reapply every time I washed my hands after using the restroom. Make sure to bring extra paint along for touch ups! Oh, and it's extremely difficult to use the restroom with a tail btw >.<

I took a stage makeup class this past semester for fun and I learned soooo much that's going to help my draenei out :) I'm excited!!

Thanks for the info! My makeup just came in today, it's just a 1.4 oz container and since I'll be doing just my face and hands the first day and most of my body the second, plus one or two trial runs, I'm definitely going to be picking up another container. Any tips on application for us that you learned in stage makeup class? I have barrier spray and colorset from mehron that I plan on using, but any tips would be useful!

There's nothing wrong with Hot Topic makeup! It's the perfect amount of drama for costumes. I bought BRIGHT yellow and BRIGHT orange eye shadow last year for my costume. I put it on and... it looked white and brown. It was so disappointing >.< I should have shopped at Hot Topic >.< Do they have bright bright purple there?

I love Hot Topic eyeliners but that's about it when it comes to their makeup. I have some of their eyeshadow and it doesn't show up all that well. I think they do have bright purple, though :)

Oh, Amalaa, are you planning on making the dress from the noblegarden festival or an actual lovely dress? I don't think the lovely dresses come in pink but I loved the pink noblegarden dresses :)

I'm going to be getting a contact eye exam this summer for sure since I wear glasses and I'm pretty near sighted, and I've never seen a draenei with glasses >.> So, I might look into getting white contacts, if my income permits, but it's not top priority for me.

Also, Edalyne, I have a pair of ears from Ardani costumes that I used for halloween last year, I'll gladly bring them with me so if you end up not being able to get a pair, you can borrow mine :) We can just meet up on Thursday, especially if I end up making a dress for ya :D

Wow, I love how busy this thread is getting :D I just love checking up on it and seeing a ton of stuff to reply to.

Also, yay for no scalpers!

Edalyne
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I totally love how busy this thread is too!

Thanks for the info Ima. Just wondering, where did ya get it? I dont see anything about that. Thats cool tho. Its totally how comic-con and many other conventions do it.

Thanks ALice! Thats good to know! I asked on the blizzcon thread about ears. I remember some people made theirs last year with some sort of clay (model magic?) so I'm gonna see what they say and if I can do that.

Everyone here is so damn helpful <3 you all :D And Shaylyn. Im gonna try making my weapons out of foam first - but if I epic fail, maybe I'll have you make them from wood for me :P

Amalaa- I looked at that ear tutorial and it looks scary! :P Let me know how it goes. I've never used a gelatin mold before.

ANd yay for 10am tickets! i can sleep in! :D

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Oh, Amalaa, are you planning on making the dress from the noblegarden festival or an actual lovely dress? I don't think the lovely dresses come in pink but I loved the pink noblegarden dresses :)

Wow, I love how busy this thread is getting :D I just love checking up on it and seeing a ton of stuff to reply to.

Also, yay for no scalpers!

I just remembered its not the same style!! woops.... okay so maybe no pink dress...maybe blue or black to go with my blue eyes!!! I loved the red dress though but I got that on my tauren and had so much fun raising my unarmed skill up from like 10 to 399 in nothing but the dress, just pure knockouts!! haha

anyhoo.. yeah I love the replys in here too b/c they help me in so many ways and it gives me something to sneak away for 20 times a day (I'm a live in nanny to 5 year quads..)

Amalaa
05-15-2009, 11:01 PM
hey Ima!
what is your cow? druid?!! (ever think about tree form costume?!)

and i like
-Imalamuya *(Not eye-mah-lah. Eee-mah-lah.)

it made me laugh when i saw it!!
we have an almost same sounding name!! haha most of my guildies on vent always say AM-a-la when its Ah-mah-la

Edalyne
05-16-2009, 01:08 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Tickets on sale tomorrow morning. Im so excited I'm not gonna be able to sleep!! I'm lame, I know.

Hope you all made your battlenet accounts and added payment types and updated all your info! I just added like 2 credit cards (in case blizz fails and decides not to take one for whatever reason). I had to update some info cuz the credit cards from last year I had on my account had expired and I had gotten a new phone #.

GL gettin tickets everyone!!!! :D

alicetehfaerie
05-16-2009, 06:37 AM
I just remembered its not the same style!! woops.... okay so maybe no pink dress...maybe blue or black to go with my blue eyes!!! I loved the red dress though but I got that on my tauren and had so much fun raising my unarmed skill up from like 10 to 399 in nothing but the dress, just pure knockouts!! haha

anyhoo.. yeah I love the replys in here too b/c they help me in so many ways and it gives me something to sneak away for 20 times a day (I'm a live in nanny to 5 year quads..)

Sounds good! It looks like the twins are probably not going to be doing this with us, and if they decide to then we can just do two of one color dress or something. I think Edalyne is going to be in the blue dress, so we can put you in the black one- and I think the bunny ears would still look cute :D I'll do the purple dress, then, since my skin will be light purple and it would also match my headband. Woo! I can't wait to get started!

Imalamuya
05-16-2009, 08:52 AM
hey Ima!
what is your cow? druid?!! (ever think about tree form costume?!)

Nope. Death Knight this year! Won't say more, but let's just say she's quite the character(s). :)

it made me laugh when i saw it!!
we have an almost same sounding name!! haha most of my guildies on vent always say AM-a-la when its Ah-mah-la

Oh, I drive people nuts on Vent. They're always "eye-mah" and I don't realize they're talking to me. :)

alicetehfaerie
05-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Any of you want to share a room? We just got one at the Marriott for Thur-Mon Blizzcon weekend, and there's a pull out couch bed :) We're just asking 50 a night, and I'll even help with costumes :D

TheInfamousBug
05-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Any of you want to share a room? We just got one at the Marriott for Thur-Mon Blizzcon weekend, and there's a pull out couch bed :) We're just asking 50 a night, and I'll even help with costumes :D

Oh sweet - I'm hanging out at the Marriott, too! And I still have a spare bed myself. >.>

I say we get a costume party the night before or the nights afterward. I know one of the two nights, my guild is having its get-together, but the other I'd be so down for taking our costumes out to a random dining place and seeing how they react :p

-Edit-

I got my tickets! Ftw!

alicetehfaerie
05-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh sweet - I'm hanging out at the Marriott, too! And I still have a spare bed myself. >.>

I say we get a costume party the night before or the nights afterward. I know one of the two nights, my guild is having its get-together, but the other I'd be so down for taking our costumes out to a random dining place and seeing how they react :p

I don't know about putting on all that makeup and stuff for the night before, but maybe we can make a reservation to a restaurant for the 21st since the big party is on the 22nd after Blizzcon, and I definitely plan on going to the party at the Hilton... in costume :D