PDA

View Full Version : Glomps at Metro

kayla364
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Who hates them, loves them, and/or gives them? (Just seeing everyones views that's going^^))

PhantasmaJun
02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I dont mind glomps XD as long as they are not extreme tackle glomps =3 I will be Kurama all three days so if ya see me you can glomp ^_^

Art is a BANG
02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Me I LOVE GLOMPS and I give them alot (random hugs too but thats besides the point). My BF gets upsett with me cause I practice glomping him everyday!!! I told him come metrocon he better run!! MUHAHAHA

kayla364
02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
I think it depends, you can usualy eye a costume and see that if you glomp them you may or may not break things. And I personally love hugs and some glomps.

rf~vadis
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
it depends on what costume im wearing XD, or if i have no glasses or contacts in. its not fun getting glomped when your blind XD.

kayla364
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah lol being blind could cause problems XD

Art is a BANG
02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I like to glomp the cutest costumes.

kayla364
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Like Chi?

helpmegetpissed
02-23-2009, 07:06 AM
do not glomp me!

SunakoChan
02-23-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't mind glomps and hugs, but there have been times when people have almost damaged one of my costumes. For instance.. my A.W.E.S.O.M-O. costume from South Park. That was 2 years ago, and a big cardboard box being hugged does not equal a good time. My shoulders were killing me.

helpmegetpissed
02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
my back is screwed up so if someone glomps me it can throw it out.

rf~vadis
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
im having sholder problems and my freind glomped me when i put my zexion costume on.....it hurt like a screaming banchee ;___; and i couldnt move my sholder for the rest of the day....

NiGHTmaren
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
The answer is simple, don't glomp. If you want a hug, ask for one - usually the cosplayer is willing to comply with that. But glomps are attacks, and you could seriously hurt the cosplayer or damage his or her costume, and I can guarantee you that you will be dealing with a very angry person.

Art is a BANG
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Im crazy though, I ask politely "may I glomp you please" and if they start running...its all over. So if u see a sakura Haruno holding hands with sasuke thats me if I ask...u better be fast lol

orca_sora
03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
The answer is simple, don't glomp. If you want a hug, ask for one - usually the cosplayer is willing to comply with that. But glomps are attacks, and you could seriously hurt the cosplayer or damage his or her costume, and I can guarantee you that you will be dealing with a very angry person.

This.

Seriously, folks, most cons ban glomping so not only do you risk injuries and other disturbances, but you could also risk your con pass. It's not cute, it's not funny, and even with permission, it's not acceptable.

CcxYumiYumix
03-05-2009, 10:43 PM
aha you may glomp me! i won't mind, but i don't know who i am dressing up as yet... oh well! *glompsss*

Lolita Minako
03-06-2009, 05:11 PM
This.

Seriously, folks, most cons ban glomping so not only do you risk injuries and other disturbances, but you could also risk your con pass. It's not cute, it's not funny, and even with permission, it's not acceptable.

METROCON is one of those cons that frowns on glomping. It is too crowded, and people can get hurt!

athena-chan
03-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Glomping is dangerous and can ruin some people's costumes. If you want a hug from a fellow con goer please ASK first. Many costumers spend a lot of time and money on their costumes and you wouldn't want to break it with a surprise glomp.

Lolita Minako
03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
My sister was scratched by part of her costume when someone glomped her and the wire frame cut through the fabric from the glomp...

yamimagic
03-07-2009, 10:15 PM
In my opinion, it's one thing if a close (and I mean close) friend glomps you, however having random people do so is just awkward. However, a hug's an entirely different matter and is a-okay by me.

Juego
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
For god's sake, since when does wearing a costume excuse anyone from normal social decency? Would you tackle a random stranger on the street?

This question keeps being asked across the boards and the responses are always the same. Continuing to ask it is NOT going to make it magically ok. Just stop it.

Politely ask for a hug, if you must, but you don't have the right to force physical contact on ANYONE.

Art is a BANG
03-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Glomps

Toluca
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm going to have my own personal fangirl following me around, what with my being Kyouya and her being Renge from Ouran Host Club, so I'll have a few glomps to contend with. But, she realizes that I have a terrible leg that can easily be driven to lameness if it is moved wrong. You, as a random congoer, don't. A glomp, even a well-meaning one, could seriously injure my leg.

So, moral of the story is: Ask. If you're told no, LEAVE. Don't continue to stalk/pester said person.

YellowKiss
03-18-2009, 10:49 PM
i like hugs.
i do.
i loooove me some hugs.

dont glomp me.
i have unsteady ankles and im usually wearing boots which doesnt help but its for the sake of cosplay so i suffer. D:

iWannaBeAxel
03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
i think their wierdish? xD. i just dont really enjoy the idea of someone taking me to the ground?
but i'll deff do hugss. :)

MasKasFu
03-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Any act of participating in any form of glomping is like getting a nice big ray of sunshine, mind you it's a .357 ray of sunshine to the forehead, but sunshine none the less.

night4kuma
03-22-2009, 11:46 PM
I find it akward when people walk up to you with a sign that says "free hugs" or "Glomp me" and then just stare at you like they are eating out your soul! Hey if you want a hug fine, but glomping.... not so much.

Frostmourne
03-23-2009, 07:54 AM
For god's sake, since when does wearing a costume excuse anyone from normal social decency? Would you tackle a random stranger on the street?

This question keeps being asked across the boards and the responses are always the same. Continuing to ask it is NOT going to make it magically ok. Just stop it.

Politely ask for a hug, if you must, but you don't have the right to force physical contact on ANYONE.

^^^^

My views EXACTLY.
Thankyou Juego.

SoedBlackChaos
04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
What most people don't realize is that there IS an actually set of guidlines for "proper" glomping.

1) You MUST be smaller than the person you're Glomping. If you're 200lbs trying to glomp someone who's 5-foot-nothing: bad things will happen.
2) You MUST assess their costume for strength. 7 foot wings or body-paint: bad things will happen.
3) You must assert if the person wants a Glomp. THIS is where most people run into trouble.

Proper Glomp etiquette dictates that you first make eye contact with said person(if eye-contact is not immediately made, squealing and saying the cosplayer's character are the usual ways of gaining said eye-contact). Once Eye-contact has been established, you must "Assume the Position"(meaning arms flung open, knees bent into a mild runner's stance, and huge fan-girl grin). If target cosplayer then proceedes to remove baggage and assumes the "Recieving Pose"(Arms wide, knees bent for balance and torso bent to catch the Glomper chest-first), then you may proceed to stage 4. Chances are, if they don't it means they don't know what a Glomp is, and it would be inappropriate to try one: bad things will happen. When in doubt, ASK.

4) If the Glompee has assumed the postition, one MUST police the area around, making sure no one else will accidentally be involved in the Glomp

5)Check the cosplayer's aproximate height. If that person is 6ft tall, it should take you no more than 6 strides to reach them. For a 5ft, 5 strides. This ensures that you won't push them over into anyone else.

7) THE MOST IMPROTANT RULE!!! Never Glomp someone after you've been told not to. It doesn't matter whether it's an individual or a security volunteer.

Note: This does not mean that I encourage Glomping whoever you want, regardless of situation. However, I do believe that Glomping is an integral part of the Cosplay culture, and I'd like to see people practice Safe-Glomping, rather than having it banned from Cons everywhere.

Art is a BANG
04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
WoW theres glomping ediqute, I ussually follow instinct u can tell when a person doesn't want to be glomped.

as to night4kuma I HATE when people with glomp me signs just stare at u there the creepiest little buggers EVER. u kinda wana find some one with a big sword so u have protection lol.
Thats what my friend is doing to protect himself, He's being Inuyasha. I suppose the Idea is Big swords word of glompers lol.

Aoichan065
04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Soed... I lol'd. I'm Nekomata [shin megami tensai] and the latex suit will be tight enough to were I may not be able to move, let alone “assume the position”. I'm doomed.

Lolita Minako
04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Since this is a METROCON thread, they can't have the signs, anyway. ^^ No signs allowed, unless it is relevant to your costume.

Art is a BANG
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Awwwe no signs!!!poopie!!!! I was hopeing to make a "yes were dateing" sign with an areo pointing to my sasuke. I thouht it would be comical since the entier sakura sasuke deal, I suppose I should go brush up on some of the rules, since I haven't already.

orca_sora
04-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Having "guidelines" or rules for glomping is fine, but I think the act is perpetuated by randomness and so people who end up doing this really aren't thinking. Frankly, there's really no mature way around it. Between friends, sure, go tackle each other to your heart's content. If you get hurt or damage something it's your own fault on both ends. Honestly, I don't mind hugs (most of the time). It can be flattering, and fortunately the only ones who have ever requested hugs from me have relatively respected my personal space--minimizing any exposure to the very real reality that they probably are in dire need of a shower. Heck, I know I need one after an hour in heavy costume. But there's simply no need or desire to have someone physically launch themselves onto me, or anyone else.

SoedBlackChaos
04-15-2009, 11:03 AM
People without common sense are going to do stupid things whether or not we tell them not to. I just like letting the harmless ones know that they can still have fun if they use their brains. Just think of how many accidents could be avoided if everyone who wanted to Glomp was taught these rules. The whole idea behind the glomp is overcomming assumed social boundries in order to have fun and engage others in a non-conventional way. Kind of like when football-fans chest-bump each other. It's origional intent was not to *force* people into physical contact, but to allow it without the regular social stigma. And THAT is the message that's been lost to the newer generation of Anime-fans because instead of learning what it's all ABOUT, they just know what it IS.
I know my first convention experiences wouldn't have been the same without Glomping, and I think it's a shame that more people don't use their brains when attempting social interaction of ANY kind.

Nekomeishi
04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Glomping, overall, is a terrible idea.
For the cosplayer it's annoying, it's an invasion of space, and it HURTS.
It breaks costumes very easily -- I've had friends lose sleeves, weapons, pretty much everyhing because of some crazy middle schoolers that couldn't control themselves.

Ask for a hug or something, don't randomly jump people!

Sympathy
04-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Hmm...I honestly don't mind people glomping me, so long as it isn't a surprise attack. XD

kayla364
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Hmm...I honestly don't mind people glomping me, so long as it isn't a surprise attack. XD

Me either, As long as I don't get knocked to the ground i'm good XD

CcxYumiYumix
04-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Me either, As long as I don't get knocked to the ground i'm good XD

Same here XD

Gentleman
04-20-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm going to have to join the masses on this one. Hugs are fine (with permission, of course), but glomps are right out of the question. Especially upstairs with that hard marble floor, ouch.

Besides ruining a costume someone spent hundreds of hours on and hundreds of dollars on, there are people with physical problem (as mentioned prior) that you could seriously injure by doing this.

I know the intentions are good, but the consequences may be severe. Just something to keep in mind ^^

Kitsune
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
The only time I've really experienced glomps (and I think, thus, the only way I'm comfortable with them) is from my friends. And we do it a LOT. But we know each other, we know when to and when not to, and we know each other's strengths and weaknesses. And we don't make them surprises (with one exception, my Gambit fangirl friend, who is a bit petite anyway, is allowed to surprise glomp me whenever I'm in my Gambit costume, because it's funny and I know she won't knock me over XD).

I do, however, love hugs, so those I'm okay with outside my group of friends, again, so long as they're not surprises.

CcxYumiYumix
04-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, I agree that glomps may be annoying and bad and such, but as long as it's, let's call it, "smart glomping", then I think it's fine because I think someone would have to be pretty dumb to want glomp someone with a ryuk costume on 0_o

Let's just go with common sense here people, plus I don't think it's wrong because they are showing an appreciation to you, but people can and will cross the line, unfortunately. If you're going as a kawaii character, brace for impact. It's just of of those con things

I do love hugs too and they are easier and safer to give =3

lil-priestess
04-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I absolutely LOVE glomps~! to me a glomp shows that i did my cosplay well and it makes me feel special. in return, I glomp ppl left and right.

Feel free to glomp me this year~! I'll either be summoner yuna or hatsune miku

CcxYumiYumix
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Lol I'll keep that it mind XD

Kapalaka
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I haaaaaaaaaaaaate glomps. Hugs are okay, but I rarely comply; I just don't like strangers touching me, esp if it's obvious they haven't bathed in weeks (A con lasts only 3 days, HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU THAT SMELLY AFTER ONLY ONE?). I've been fortunate enough to have people ask me all the time, though. I guess I have a scary aura? Hahaha!

My favorite method for fending off an oncoming glomper when I'm decked out in body paint and a delicate costume: always have my boyfriend or a friend around to fend them off.

CcxYumiYumix
04-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I haaaaaaaaaaaaate glomps. Hugs are okay, but I rarely comply; I just don't like strangers touching me, esp if it's obvious they haven't bathed in weeks (A con lasts only 3 days, HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU THAT SMELLY AFTER ONLY ONE?). I've been fortunate enough to have people ask me all the time, though. I guess I have a scary aura? Hahaha!

My favorite method for fending off an oncoming glomper when I'm decked out in body paint and a delicate costume: always have my boyfriend or a friend around to fend them off.

I saw you at last year's metro! Lol this is kind of random, but I saw you're profile picture and It looks just like the person who I'm thinking you are... and if it is you then, I LOVED your costume! It was amazing!

Timcampy
04-28-2009, 05:49 PM
What most people don't realize is that there IS an actually set of guidlines for "proper" glomping.

1) You MUST be smaller than the person you're Glomping. If you're 200lbs trying to glomp someone who's 5-foot-nothing: bad things will happen.
2) You MUST assess their costume for strength. 7 foot wings or body-paint: bad things will happen.
3) You must assert if the person wants a Glomp. THIS is where most people run into trouble.

Proper Glomp etiquette dictates that you first make eye contact with said person(if eye-contact is not immediately made, squealing and saying the cosplayer's character are the usual ways of gaining said eye-contact). Once Eye-contact has been established, you must "Assume the Position"(meaning arms flung open, knees bent into a mild runner's stance, and huge fan-girl grin). If target cosplayer then proceedes to remove baggage and assumes the "Recieving Pose"(Arms wide, knees bent for balance and torso bent to catch the Glomper chest-first), then you may proceed to stage 4. Chances are, if they don't it means they don't know what a Glomp is, and it would be inappropriate to try one: bad things will happen. When in doubt, ASK.

4) If the Glompee has assumed the postition, one MUST police the area around, making sure no one else will accidentally be involved in the Glomp

5)Check the cosplayer's aproximate height. If that person is 6ft tall, it should take you no more than 6 strides to reach them. For a 5ft, 5 strides. This ensures that you won't push them over into anyone else.

7) THE MOST IMPROTANT RULE!!! Never Glomp someone after you've been told not to. It doesn't matter whether it's an individual or a security volunteer.

Note: This does not mean that I encourage Glomping whoever you want, regardless of situation. However, I do believe that Glomping is an integral part of the Cosplay culture, and I'd like to see people practice Safe-Glomping, rather than having it banned from Cons everywhere.

Nicely said! As many say, I also agree that glomping could be very dangerous. Scott McNeil had his back thrown out one year because a bit too enthusiastic fan had glomped him :lost:

Lolita Minako
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
That was even AT METROCON. More reason for METROCON to be so uncomfortable with glomps....

Kapalaka
04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I saw you at last year's metro! Lol this is kind of random, but I saw you're profile picture and It looks just like the person who I'm thinking you are... and if it is you then, I LOVED your costume! It was amazing!

Why thank you! ^_^ I appreciate the compliment! Be sure to say hi next time you see me, I rarely meet other Parasite Eve fans.

ps- thank you for not glomping XD!

SonicManJosh
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
AS long as you ask, and don't destroy my costume or makeup, I'm cool with it. Just ask!

youngquil
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I personally am not a hugger. I get uncomfortable when even my family tries to give me hugs, excluding the ones under the age of six. Sitting here on my bed waiting for my hair to dry, I'm in horror over the fact that total strangers may potentially hug-rape me. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd probably punch the poor soul in the face and not feel bad about it O.O Which is probably worse than the intended act of glomping in the first place.

Art is a BANG
05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Im going to ask every naruto charracter I see if I can have a hug .

KurohaneShizumi
05-22-2009, 12:15 PM
I think I mentioned it in another forum under Metro's stuff, but glomping is banned at Metro. People with signs that are not part of their costume are also banned. Please be aware of this so something bad does not happen to you OR someone else.

^_^

Prota-Girl
05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
Alright, that's pretty good to hear. xD I'm alright with glomping...but only when it doesn't hurt... I hate it when i feel like I'm bleeding somewhere and all that. *had Vincent cosplay nearly ruined by a glomp and chin bled* xD Anyways, it depends. nice to hear that kind of stuff is banned from Metro. xD

LainaBug
05-31-2009, 01:49 AM
Tackle glomping is basically assault and would never be acceptable in a regular public place, so it shouldn't be in conventions either lol As everyone has said - If you run and jump on a person, they are not only going to be terrified but could possibly be injured or have part of their costume broken.

If somebody nicely asks me for a hug because they like the character I'm cosplaying than that's fine! Just don't run and jump on me XD

Also this part from METROCON's general policies definitely applies to glomping:

Harassment and Assault
Harassment is generally any behavior that intentionally annoys or alarms another person. This includes any unwanted physical contact, following someone around a public area without a legitimate reason, or otherwise infringing on their personal liberties. Assault is legally defined as threatening to physically attack someone, and in the state of Florida is a Class B misdemeanor. Neither activity will be tolerated at METROCON. Please remember that if you approach someone and they tell you 'no' or to leave them alone, your business with them is done. If you do not leave them alone as they have requested, your actions may be grounds for a complaint of harassment. If you feel that you are being harassed, or you have been assaulted, please report the matter immediately to convention security. Repeat offenders may be required to hand over their badges and leave convention areas, and may be liable for criminal charges as well. We recommend that all harassment be reported to METROCON security immediately.

Taken from the General Policies FAQ found here (http://www.metroconventions.com/control.cfm?ID=1021).

KageNoKasumi
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree with the "No-surprises" rule, but I think asking is mighty stiff.

So I get the persons attention, then open my arms and cock my head.

If I get a head shake, I move on.

If I get a return of open arms, I gently bounce and lightly *LIGHTLY* squeeze.

Seriously ya'll, no spine crushing, boob-smashing, oh-my-god-can't breathe! hugs.