PDA

View Full Version : Getting wigs to stick up?

Arisugawa Juri
07-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Hello.. I plan to cosplay as Integral Hellsing from Hellsing and was wondering how anyone would go about getting the bangs to stick up in the front. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Gren
07-27-2003, 04:38 PM
I think you could cut some foam and pin it down to the wig head to get the right form for the bangs to bend over, and then just hairspray the crap out of them. I've got a big spikey wig I'm working on (It's incomplete, but in my gallery) but it's primarily done with hairspray. Just get cheap, nasty stuff, and spray it like it's the king of the roaches and just won't die.

Beware_UY7
07-28-2003, 12:23 PM
To get the bangs up, lift the hair and then spray the roots. You don't have to spray the heck out of it until you're done styling. I would also reccomend using some different products, from pomade to hair paste... a good combination of products always makes for a nice look on wigs, since different products create different textures and finishes.

Koumori
07-28-2003, 12:53 PM
Use a hair dryer on the hair spray before it dries; that will help it dry harder.

Resuka
07-28-2003, 02:26 PM
One of KaraokeKate's recommendations that I've found to be helpful is using clear silicone caulk. It's a bit slow to dry, but allows you to mold some interesting shapes, and remains nicely flexible when finished.

I've become a bit of caulk addict now, actually- I've used it in everything from wigs to armor. Must be the fumes ^_^;;

Sazie_the_Beast
08-11-2003, 07:46 AM
this section of the the forum reminds me of macgyver

AniMajor
08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
"Dear Mcgyver, Here's a paperclip, rubber band, and a drinking straw. Please get my dog out of jail." -- Family Guy, written in a letter by Peter.

Gel doesn't work. I know from experience.

TomWeiser
08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
deleted

Mythril
08-12-2003, 07:14 AM
*laughs* Tom -- I like your method a lot and I have no doubt it works! But I think Integral would look slightly funny with 1.5 feet above her head!

Juri -- She has that sort of hair that a wig doesn't necessarily need hairspray or caulk for. I tried styling it like hers, and it ended up just looking plain goofy, so I washed it out. It made the wig look un-natural. :-/ But if you do try it, I wish you luck! Send pictures!

carly579
08-12-2003, 02:12 PM
how do you use calking? When I've tried it it always looks kinda snotty :/

Arisugawa Juri
08-12-2003, 02:54 PM
I agree with Mythril.. I tried recreating the gravity-defying bangs and it looked quite silly.. I've reasoned that if I only add the slightest bit of lift (so that it looks like normal hair) it looks more accurate to the character than if I hairspray the living daylights out of it.

A photo of how I believe I will leave the wig can be found at: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=67183&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

megumibish
08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
For caulk to not look snotty as carly said I suggest using it extremely sparingly...it's not styling gel...just a little bit added for shape will work fine. It's easier to add on versus taking it out. It's like working with that fish tank repair glue...heh