PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: Anti-Gravity Strand for Your Wig

Mangochutney
02-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I put this together last night and hope it's helpful. STICKY-UP CURLS AND BITS THIS WAY (http://www.funkyhorror.com/antigrav.htm).

If there's an all-tutorial thread that I've missed, I'd appreciate somebody letting me know where it is so i can dump this in it.

Valkier
02-23-2009, 08:16 PM
This is really neat. Thanks!

Ashbrie
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Ahh, this is lovely. I may have to do such sticky-up-bits soon, so it's nice to have something to follow.

Probably a silly question, but do you do anything to the end of the wire that is inside the wig to keep it from scratching and digging at your scalp when you're wearing it, or has that just not been an issue? That was a little thing that was worrying me.

KittyCanuck
02-23-2009, 09:34 PM
This is awesome, thank you!!

Mangochutney
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
do you do anything to the end of the wire that is inside the wig to keep it from scratching and digging at your scalp when you're wearing it, or has that just not been an issue?

I admit that picture's a little blurry, but in the step where you sew it on you might be able to make out that I made a tiny loop at the very end of the wire. It keeps the sharp end from murdering your scalp. :)

Ashbrie
02-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I admit that picture's a little blurry, but in the step where you sew it on you might be able to make out that I made a tiny loop at the very end of the wire. It keeps the sharp end from murdering your scalp. :)

Ahh, alright! Thank you very much! Your tutorials are quite fabulous :D

ShiNo_Usagi
02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
wow, it's so simple yet so creative! I think that this may come in handy for a few of my future cosplays =)

phantomthief
02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah I feel the power of the sticky-uppy-ness. And now I can to all sorts of strange, lewd things with Italy's hair...

QuiteVile
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Yay
I needed help with attaching hair to my cat ears/tail, so this is very helpful
(:!

☆ KEITA
02-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Wow, this is extremely helpful! Now I can use this on my Alkaid wig hur hurr. ;3

Eva Yui
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Nice...I am going to change up my idea for my wig I am working on. I actually had a similar idea but the wiring was a bit bigger and I was still figuring out the base. Thanks for the tutorial.

Patches
02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
OMG LOVE

I'm not using it for hair, but bunny ears! (http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6923/bunnyears.jpg) Using your method with coat hanger wire gives me incredibly stable ears without the awful-looking headband! This came just in time for me.

Meitachi
02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I was wondering, can this tutorial be used on hair already on the wig? I dunno if that makes sense, so it might be easier to show you:

http://fairchildonrage.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ft-116.jpg

She has a strand of her hair sticking up at the top of her head. The bangs on my wig are longer than what she has (I'm using it for another costume and would rather not cut it. I'm sure it wouldn't make that much of a difference if I left it a few inches longer for the sake of not ruining the wig). So, my question is, can I use the same method for making a strand, but on the wig?

Mangochutney
02-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I think you probably could do this without clipping the hair off, but you're going to have a much trickier time getting it nice and flat so you can apply medium and then wrap it around the wire. Also, if you're planning on using the same wig for another costume, you're going to have some trouble getting the medium out. It's technically water-soluble, but that doesn't mean it's quick or easy or happy about it.

To be honest, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. Spiking glue and spray are probably better options.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP PATCHES those look AWESOME. I'm glad I could help!

Meitachi
02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I think you probably could do this without clipping the hair off, but you're going to have a much trickier time getting it nice and flat so you can apply medium and then wrap it around the wire. Also, if you're planning on using the same wig for another costume, you're going to have some trouble getting the medium out. It's technically water-soluble, but that doesn't mean it's quick or easy or happy about it.

To be honest, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. Spiking glue and spray are probably better options.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP PATCHES those look AWESOME. I'm glad I could help!

Oh, sweet, thanks for the advice! :D

Mr. Despair
03-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Ah thank you for this <3 I was looking for advice on how to make my N. Italy curl without using a hair curler on the actual wig. Without this I would have no clue how to do all those insane hair flukes and curls from Hetalia. Also I've been forever looking for a way to make Rip Van Winkle's curl, for a long time. xD
I also have a Canada cosplay in the works so this will help me out lots for his strange curl too. xD And somewhere down the road my friend has an Austria in works so you have no clue how much this helps us out. ^-^

I was wondering if there was a better glue or something to use. I ran into a little problem last night with my first couple attempts. xD;;

Mangochutney
03-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Glad to help. :) I've used the acrylic medium and fabric glue (Fabri-Tac, nothing fancy). The fabric glue has better hold, but is more prone to smears and opaque spots. I encourage you to experiment!

If you can be a little more specific about the problem you had, I might be able to offer pointers.

Mr. Despair
03-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Glad to help. :) I've used the acrylic medium and fabric glue (Fabri-Tac, nothing fancy). The fabric glue has better hold, but is more prone to smears and opaque spots. I encourage you to experiment!

If you can be a little more specific about the problem you had, I might be able to offer pointers.

Actually I was pondering using fabric glue but I didn't know if it dried clear. xD

Well, we were unable to find Golden so we went with the other you suggested, actually we were unable to find 18g wire either; so we ended up getting this larger wire used for stained glass windows. xD; I do believe that was the first problem. The wire was thick-ish and not very sturdy.
So, I went and got 20g wire to see if it will be any better. Though I haven't tried with it yet.
I also think the other problems were we didn't wait for it to dry long enough or I didn't use enough hair. xD Any suggestions or pointers would be wonderful.
Thaank yoou! ^-^

Mangochutney
03-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Fabric glue that's clear in the bottle dries clear. Mostly, anyway.

Dunno about the stained glass wire but that stuff isn't supposed to bear any weight so I imagine it's too soft to hold up a good curl. The 20g will almost certainly be better. The lower a gauge's number is the thicker it is, so you really don't want to go any thinner than 20.

I think your instinct about it not drying long enough is right, I know I jumped the gun a little when I was testing the technique. It doesn't have to be bone-dry but it has to be cured all the way through, no stuff left in a liquid or tacky state. How much hair you use is mostly an eyeball thing--if you can see much of the wire, you need more hair. It'll vary with wig color and texture.

(I know this post is a mess, I hope it made sense. :D )

Ayana4418
03-28-2009, 10:10 PM
OMG thank you! I can finally do my wig!!

Awkward Silence
04-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Um, I was wondering, could the same tutorial work for hair extensions? (Clip-ons not braids). Or would the wire/glue be too heavy?

Mangochutney
04-29-2009, 01:27 AM
I can't really say without a little more detail. Do you mean attaching the strand to a clip?

Touya no miko
04-29-2009, 02:27 AM
This really helps! Now I know a way to make the curl on my Canada wig.

Awkward Silence
04-29-2009, 01:04 PM
I can't really say without a little more detail. Do you mean attaching the strand to a clip?

Ah, sorry for not being clear enough. I mean a hair extension you buy separately that you clip onto your hair (like the one shown here: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51061065/Clip_In_Hair_Extensions.jpg)

I was wondering if it would be too heavy to stay there once it is clipped onto your hair.

Mangochutney
04-29-2009, 01:21 PM
It would probably work--the size of the strand is limited mostly by the size and weight of the wire. There's also the question of whether you can get a wig to stick to your head with the extra off-balance weight, but wig caps and pins can do amazing things.

However, this strand technique isn't really meant to be able to clip on and off. I'd advise that you use the extension to make the strand, clip it on, and sew the wire to the wig cap afterwards.

Awkward Silence
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I see. Thank you~

Kitsoru
04-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I actually just styled a tiny down-hanging-sticking-out bang piece a similar way using a combo of hairspray and white glue. Does gesso work better? I have a huge jar of that stuff left over from Painting Practices and if this is a good use, then, well... :0a

Touya no miko
05-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Btw, I found some modge podge at Michael's the other day, but there were so many different brands of it that I'm not sure which to use.

Mangochutney
05-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Does gesso work better?

Oh lord no, gesso won't work at ALL. Don't do that. Gesso and acrylic medium are very different: acrylic medium forms a clear, flexible film when it's dry.

Btw, I found some modge podge at Michael's the other day, but there were so many different brands of it that I'm not sure which to use.

So far as I can tell, pretty much any of them will do. Gloss will be shiny and Matte will be completely un-shiny, so choose with that in mind. Those are the only kinds I've seen regularly--if there's a Semi-Gloss or something it'll be...well, kinda shiny and kinda not. :)

kazuki_ueda
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
I love your tutorial, thanks! It really helps me

DespairedPheonix
06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
This thread should be stickied. I keep needing it and losing it XD so helpful, thank you ^.^

Mangochutney
06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd love if it were stickied, or if Wigs & Hair had a helpful all-tutorial thread the way Props does. I suppose that's a project for another day, though. I'll make the request. :)

lynnafred
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Oh, AWESOME! I was just wondering how I was going to do this for my America cosplay! Thanks!

PandaPuff
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I used this tutorial for my Canada curl and it came out....aweful. I used the wax paper like you said but the hair got stuck to it. I said whatever maybe I'll fix it later so for the sake of experimenting i continued. I put the wire and it didn't even stay bent. Am I doing something wrong here? My friend has the same problem.

Xylina_Furiae
11-14-2009, 10:54 PM
You are a godsend. This is going to help me with that pesky sticky-up-bit in Rue (Threads Of Fate)'s hair. <3

Heathernaut
05-23-2011, 03:39 PM
The link has died. Noooooo! D:

Gabbyv23
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Ilhauihfc;auh;fhso;fh D:

Mangochutney
05-26-2011, 11:55 PM
Well how about that, looks like my hosting ran out. Don't worry, I'll get it back up and running soon. :) In the meantime, there are a few tutorials that I think are based on it floating around DeviantArt.