PDA

View Full Version : Scar Tutorial?

kuroikouma
02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm going to cosplaying as a version of Youkai Hakkai in a few months (May), and the version I'm doing involves an open shirt that shows off his very long belly scar. This is the version I'm doing-http://eldanis.deviantart.com/art/Youkai-Hakkai-93387321

Do any of you have links to decent tutorials on how to make scars that long that'll stick all day? I want it to look a little raised, but old, and all of the scar tutorials I've seen involve making them look bloody and recent.

Also, what brand do you guys recommend for long lasting eyeliner that I can use on my body for the vines that won't rub off or fade?

Garen
02-25-2009, 11:19 PM
I fully intend to keep an eye on this thread. I've been wondering something along these same lines for my Kenshin cosplay.

navigated
02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I've done a healed scar tutorial right here: http://community.livejournal.com/joker_cosplay/18870.html#cutid1

It makes a raised scar, which you can see more shots of in my Two-Face gallery. Another really good good method if you'd like the scar to sink inward, I don't know how the scar was made (haven't read Saiyuki), which actually makes a difference in how the scar heals. But if you'd like the scar to sink inward invest in some Rigid Collodion from Mehron.

In a color slightly darker than your skin, paint the scar where it needs to go, then paint a few coats of the Collodion over the patch you painted, and your skin will sink in! It looks something like this: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/trick-rip/Photos/Photo394.jpg
I didn't do the under coloring on this since I was just messing around with it, but I think you can see in the picture that your skin will sink in.

Hope that helps!

DawnYuuki
02-25-2009, 11:57 PM
LOL! I clicked on this topic because I was wondering about the exact same thing ('cept I'm going as normal Hakkai, so the scar would just be for the hell of it)! How truly weird.

I tan occasionally for social or formal events, and have found it quite fun to cover the area where his scar is with a large adhesive of some sorth that I've cut to size/shape. That way when I progress darker, the "scar" stays white (and it really does stand out!). That, however, only gives a flat effect that's fun to flash at my fellow group memebers. XD
If someone does come along with a way to get the raised look, I'd love to hear it as well!
EDIT: Thanks, navigated! I'll be checking that out!

As for the vines, if you're using eyeliner definately go with a type that calls itself waterproof. Not only is it usually waterproof but time and smudge proof as well. Just make sure you have something to get it off with. Liquid is also good because the applicant is like a small paintbrush and until it dries, if you make a mistake, you can wipe it away pretty easily. I wear Maybelline waterproof liquid eyeliner - Grey. It comes in a very small, thin bottle but seems to last forever. I'd probably get a few of this brand depending on how far you're going with the vines, and I'd also do black instead of grey.
...Though that fanart depicts them as green, I believe the official images have them as either black or red (could be wrong).

Hope I could be of some help. ^.^

kuroikouma
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Haha! Somehow, I knew that other people would need this thread as well xD

Oh wow, navigated. That is very, very helpful, thank you so much! The scar was formed by being slashed through his stomach, so it might have healed inwards, I'm not too sure. I'll probably just make the edges raised, anyways.

Huh, that's funny, DawnYuuki! I'll have to look for your Hakkai cosplay when you're done. The only official pictures I've seen were in the manga and, of course, they were black. I might try to find a very dark green, and I'll look around for the Maybelline brand. My friend uses liquid eyeliner for her Gojyo cosplay, doing the scars and such, so I'll get her to help me to vine myself up. I'll look around for some more official pictures, though. Thanks for the advice on the eyeliner!