PDA

View Full Version : yes yes, I kno I'm cheap

Keurblitz
09-29-2002, 01:13 AM
I was just wondering... Is there such a thing or a chance of me getting white and/or red non-stretchy fabric for $1 a yard? This friend of mine mentioned that she saw it for that cheap it in Manhattan....I'm planning to spend a lil' as possible for my costume since I will only wear it for 1 day for otakon.... yes yes, all of you gonna gasp at me and say it's a sin to buy cheap fabric, but I'm a poor college student, so.. I gotta make some cuts here and there....

kitty_neko
09-29-2002, 03:11 PM
um.....i havent seen any that cheap before...... u MIGHT be able to get it that cheap if theres a sale some place...... but other than that i dont kno of-hand ...... but good luck! ^_^;;

i just went 2 joanns and spent $30 on 4 yards of fabric and some trim alone X.X

Sami
09-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Bargain bins would probably be your only and best bet. You'd really have to shop around.. maybe try goodwill and thrift stores, you never know.

*feels kitty_neko's pain* Wow, I spent $10 on 2 yards, and I thought that was bad! ( They weren't anything fancy though, just chamois and chocolate suede-like stuff :D )

Keurblitz
09-29-2002, 05:50 PM
no goodwill no thrifts stores for me. I don't really mind spending the money on fabric, I'll just cut back on some other things.

Keurblitz
09-29-2002, 05:53 PM
...=(

Celine
09-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Keurblitz, that pic is so sad yet cute... I feel your pain!

If you have a Jo-Anns, you should definitely check out their sale section, usually in the back, called the Fabric Bonanza. Fabric there goes for as little as 99c a yard, and there's a big selection, although a lot of it is very weird stuff. If you can use regular cheap thin cotton, that sells for $1.99 to $2.99 a yard at JoAnns. Also, they often have various fabrics on sale. If you're on their mailing list, you can get some really useful coupons too. ^^

Miaka No Baka
09-29-2002, 06:23 PM
one word Wal-Mart They've got tons and tons of random fabrics that they sell for $1 a yard and no two walmarts have the same fabrics in the $1 a yard bin. My friend found white pleather at her local walmart for $1 a yard! Try looking at your local walmart and if you have more in nearby areas try looking there too. They also sell some good cotton fabrics for under $2 a yard I think it was like 1.87 i think...

Miaka no Baka

katchoo
09-29-2002, 07:20 PM
I agree, for some stuff Wal Mart has the cheapest prices!
love,
katchoo ^_^

Psychotic Jei
09-29-2002, 11:30 PM
I'm lucky enough to live near a "$2 Fabric Store" Where they have...rolls...and rolls...and rolls...and ROLLS. Of fabric under two dollars.

Farfarello
09-30-2002, 01:48 AM
Hah, me too sort of. I found some material for my Farf shirt and it's 2.99 a yard... well I thought it was cheap

Rosiel
09-30-2002, 08:57 AM
> Where they have...rolls...and rolls...and rolls...and ROLLS. Of fabric under two dollars.

That sounds like HEAVEN.

KuroBara
09-30-2002, 09:09 AM
Eep! Be careful, I bought dirt-cheap red fabric for Suzaku no miko, then realized it was see-through, so I had to go back and buy better stuff, or be an exhibitionist. Test your $1-2 fabric to make sure people won't see right through it!

Rosiel
09-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Oh and another note, sometimes you get what you pay for... I bought relatively cheap fabric and pressing a seam was IMPOSSIBLE. The fabric kept on wrinkling and being a pain. X___X Oh the memories of fighting with it at 1:00am two days before the con!

Celine
09-30-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, cheap fabric is often thin! I usually have a ton of interfacing lying around for just that reason... ^^ I would have been in big trouble with my Mia from Lunar costume (very pastel pink dress) if it wasn't for all the last minute, ironed-in interfacing. And, happily, interfacing is cheap!

Keurblitz
09-30-2002, 03:04 PM
Hm.... you know what, I'll just pay a lil' more for the fabric, I don't need a lot. I'll make sure I don't make any mistakes then.

KuroBara
09-30-2002, 03:43 PM
It's all good, I just realized my cheap 4 yards of red will be the perfect trim for Jean. I've pretty much worked it all out in my head (and with a sarong), now to get to Wal-Mart!