PDA

View Full Version : Sewing on sleves

EvilCrash
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi. Ya, I'm trying to make a Edward Elric jacket from full metal alchemist but I'm having a little trouble...

i started out by buying a sweatshirt pattern and just extended it, and so far its looking pretty good but then I got to the part where i'm now sapposed to sew the sleves and i can barley understand a word the instructions are saying. I need help. once the sleves are on I can finally iorn on the symbol on the back but not even my mom will help me >,<!

can someone please help me out?

Thanks a bunch!

o01101011
03-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Turn the body portion of the coat inside out, turn the sleeve (once the tube is sewn up) right side out. Tuck the now right side out sleeve into the body portion so its right side to right side (thus inside of the inside out coat to the exposed side of the now rightside out sleeve). Line the side seam up to the seam on the bottom of the sleeve and carefully start pinning the tube around the body sleeve hole. Then sew.

Yumei
03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
What is the pattern brand and number?

NiGHTmaren
03-07-2009, 08:17 PM
The easiest way I've found to do it is to pin the right sides together at the armpit, THEN turn the main garment inside out and keep the right sides of the fabric together (armhole and the top of the sleeve) and then start to pin the right sides together, and sew the sleeve to the main garment. It's really the easiest way to do it. Starting by pinning the right sides together at the armpit before turning anything inside out makes it so much easier.

blackcat523
03-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Sew the sleeve seam so you have a tube
Turn the sleeve right side out so that the seam edge is inside the tube.

If your sleeves are identical you don't need this step, but if they aren't, then I suggest doing this, Try on your sleeves and mark which sleeve is right, and which is left. This way you sew them on to the right sides of the jacket. I didn't do this on my first outfit and had to seam rip the sleeves off 5 times before I realized they were on the wrong sides.

Once you have this, turn your jacket inside out and mark which side is which
Put the correct tube inside the hole of the right arm hole. If you have one seam on your tube that is great, if you have two, then line up the bottom seam with the side seam of your jacket. Pin all around the to attach the sleeve.
If your machine has a sleeve bar great, usually a machine (some of the cheaper ones do) have a part you can pull of and that leaves a little elevated arm to slide the sleeve on. If not take it slow. I suggest basting around the sleeve first, once done try on the jacket right side out to see how the seam looks, If there's any puckers you can rip out the seam and try again. Once it looks good and fits right, then go over your basting with a stronger finishing stitch. Make sure you add extra stitching to the armpit area as that area usually has a lot of pull because of movement (arms swinging around and such).

once your done with one, do the other. Before you know it you'll have sleeves.

And if you need a bigger symbol for the Flamel cross Ed wears let me know. I have one in my photobucket for stenciling.