PDA

View Full Version : BlazBlue Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JJ/Ryojin
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Im going as Ragna the Bloodedge, however his jacket looks a bit tricky. How do i approach it? Is there a type of coat i can modify to look like his?

MajinCrystalia
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
A red leather biker/racing jacket or a dress coat.

mewtwo2222
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow Blaz Blue ^___^

I'm planning Taokaka or Rachel someday....

Angel Tear
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
ooooh! interesting! I've already cosplayed as Taokaka about two weeks ago (minus the mask because I have the habit of fainting if I get too hot or cant get fresh air) only one person recognised me. So its nice to know that its popularity is going up by...um...one more person!

But yeah, as stated before you're probably better off looking for a red leather jacket somewhere.

Kenmichi
03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
One thing I notice with the jacket is the sleeves. A friend of mine was Richter Belmont from Castlevania (Link (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/SteelShade/Richter%20Belmont/robchron-richter.jpg)) and if you look closely at the sleeves on Ragna and Belmont they have a similar shape at the shoulder. Anyway, for this jacket my honest opinion would be to browse McCall's website or their selection at Wal*Mart and JoAnns for a jacket pattern and just modify that. Maybe I'm just weird or something but personally I have a much easier time modifying a pattern rather than altering a pre-existing jacket. The main reason I recommend that is because of the way his jacket closes, in that it doesn't. Jackets are made to close in the front either with clips, buckles, buttons, or even velcro but clearly his jacket has no such pieces.

Jacket patterns are usually split into 4 pieces: Front left, back left, front right, and back right (Sometimes three in which case the back sections are combined into one piece). Measure from the center of your chest back about 2-4 inches (depending on your size) and subtract that from how much the pattern suggests using. And also remember to compensate for the flaring towards the bottom of his jacket. Just gradually increase your measurements towards the base of the jacket.

The belts, use a black faux leather or some kind of vinyl. The buckle you could make with wood, clay/sculpey, or if you have two matching belt buckles that size then that's even more awesome. Same goes for the metal plates on his jacket (Though personally when I do decide to make Ragna I would just use little strips of aluminum sheeting). Or a little bit of cardboard with a few pieces of aluminum tape would also be pretty good.

Hakama is pretty straight forward. And luckily his aren't pleated so you'll get to skip the hardest part, in my opinion, of Hakama making. The real hard part I think... The boots. The only thing I can think of doing is buying a pair of boots with a small heel and painting/dying them red and then using a little bit of sculpting material to make the little plate on the tips.

The gun/sword looks like a lot of fun to make, I'll bet when Fev sees it (saw it?) she'll be anxious to have someone commission her to make it (But don't quote me on that!). Wood workers dream prop.

trupnoi_25
03-08-2009, 08:49 PM
saw some gameplay of BlazBlue and Ragna's sword is a ....
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46404.html
well watch it until the end and you'll know what it is.

it also shows the back of his jacket for those who want to make it as accurate as possible.

JJ/Ryojin
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Luckily I already have a black hakama, cause i train in Shinkendo. My hakama is pretty much the costume that keeps on giving because i can use for other cosplays! :toothy:

JJ/Ryojin
03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Wow Blaz Blue ^___^

I'm planning Taokaka or Rachel someday....

For real, thats really cool! Hope to see them someday, especially the Rachel cosplay. Gothic Lolita + Vampire = Badass!

mewtwo2222
03-11-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm amazed because I never thought that I would get a chance to use my shinku wig again xD

JJ/Ryojin
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm amazed because I never thought that I would get a chance to use my shinku wig again xD

Its always cool to use a prop from a previous cosplay for another. Its saves a ton of money! :bigtu:

mewtwo2222
03-13-2009, 02:54 AM
Especially since this one cost >$100

xDD

JJ/Ryojin
03-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Especially since this one cost >$100

xDD

damn, then you better use it to it's fullest! lol

cherryteagirl5
05-05-2009, 02:17 AM
I plan to cosplay as Noel Vermillion. http://www.acparadise.com/acp/display.php?f=1711

I'm nearly done with the guns. Just have to make the small details. I'll be wearing this in about 3 weeks. I must finish!

lemnii
05-05-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm planning a Taokaka cosplay but the things that I am most torn about are;

A) the zipper in the middle, I would like to keep it accurate, but at the same time, finding a zipper that large would have to be custom ordered and where do I even order that, so I am torn between using a regular sized zipper or using cloth and creating a fake zipper by sewing black lines on a yellowish cloth.

B) the claws. I could love to make them retractable/make a sort of fencing type handle and then make claws on the handle so if I don't want the claws, I can just take it off and replace it with a 'unclawed' handle. I've never worked with anything like that before so I don't really know what to make it out of. Also, It would have to be pretty big which is what throws me off. For the claws I've been watching Wolvering claw tutorials hahahaha.

C) the face. Ideally and one day when I have enough time I am going to make and LCD type of thing where she will have several expressions (one of my friends has done a Daft Punk helmet with several expressions and he will help me through it) but for now, I don't know whether to just use a black piece of cloth and sew a face onto it or to do something else (suggestions would be lovely!)

So yeah, long explanations about my three problems that hopefully made sense. :]

mewtwo2222
05-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I can answer the zipper question for you, you can find them here: http://orgxiii.org/zippers/
It doesn't come in the right colour, but you can spray paint them, and replace the pull tag.

moonlit-sky
05-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Sweet! I just got into the BB craze and Taokaka is my future project. Neko girl love~ :3

This (http://ja.curecos.com/tieup/blazblue/) useful japanese website has many concept drawings of all the characters and their props, including the structure of Ragna's hair!

trupnoi_25
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
nice find... thanks

Yukari Kaiba
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Whenever I end up putting a significant dent in my to-do list, I really want to do a cosplay of Ragna XD not sure whether he's wearing regular pants or hakama without any pleats in the front (but I have time to figure that out when I decide to make this).

Eboni Ninja
05-06-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna be Taokaka, she is awesome, she a big project for me but she is worth it. I'm start here costume right after Fanime. Even though I'm ganna be her in the fall best to start now cause I have other big projects.

Looks like Tao getting popular, I can't wait to get the game in the summer.

Cherryteagirl - I didn't know that you already start on your cosplay.

livengood
05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Thread went a bit dead there for a bit. There was a good sized group of us at Fanime this year. Hopefully I can get Rachel completed for AX. I need to make my umbrella into a proper Nago, make Gii, and finish details.

Chipface
06-07-2009, 03:16 AM
I plan on cosplaying Ragna for FanExpo in August. Just started working on it last week. I knew it would be a bit crazy but it seems to be getting more complicated. I found a bunch of reference pics here:
http://photobucket.com/images/blazblue/?&userinit=true&source=header

Ghai
07-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm in the planning stages of Hakumen and Iron Tager (in case I can't get any progress on Hakumen). So far though he's been as hard as I thought. The mask has no points of visibility, though I'm hoping I can use a thin white fabric to fix that. The other problem is his "armor". It looks like armor, but it moves like clothing. The only thing i can come up for with that is using white sweat suit material over soft foam.

confusedxphreak
07-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Blazblue outfits, like Guilty Gear outfits are so damn intricate. x.x But then again, that's why I like them. Haha. Anyway, I plan to get one of these outfits done eventually, I hope. I'm still not even sure who I should cosplay as, but the good thing is that I have a lot of time to decide since there is no way I'll get the skill to make one of these outfits in the very near future. xD

Kazukii
07-17-2009, 01:25 AM
I hope to add Jubei to my list for AX. ^-^

Slingshot
07-17-2009, 01:29 AM
I've been tossing around the idea of crossplaying Taokaka, ever since I got hooked playing her in the game. I never thought in a million years I would be thinking about doing a sort of cat girl cosplay, but yet here I am lol.

mewtwo2222
07-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I've been designing retractable claws....

But I dont have time for a new costume ><

confusedxphreak
07-17-2009, 07:23 PM
I hope to add Jubei to my list for AX. ^-^

:DIm hoping to finish a Blazblue outfit by next year's AX too so it would be great if I see you there so I can take some pictures.

I've been tossing around the idea of crossplaying Taokaka, ever since I got hooked playing her in the game. I never thought in a million years I would be thinking about doing a sort of cat girl cosplay, but yet here I am lol.

o.oI commend you for being good at using Tao. She's one of those characters I have to randomly button mash to get some combos in. xD But anyway, you should so do a Tao cosplay! That would be fun. :)

I've been designing retractable claws....

But I dont have time for a new costume ><

That's cool! I would love to see some pictures when you're done and you have the time to upload some. :D Anyway, you can always plan on working on the outfit when you do have time, right? It would be awesome to see a Tao with retractable claws. o.o

Kazukii
07-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Awesome! Hopefully you can! I'm trying to get a gathering going for it. :3

confusedxphreak
07-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Awesome! Hopefully you can! I'm trying to get a gathering going for it. :3

I really hope I can. x.x Im going to try really hard to kick out my procrastinative attitude and get a move-on in getting to learn how to sew hardcore. Haha. I need to use all what's left of my summer wisely and actually get some cosplay done. I fail for totally playing games instead and getting my butt kicked in Blazblue. Anyway, Im totally there for the gathering if I can get it done! :)

Ghai
07-17-2009, 07:43 PM
T_T AX is too far away. I've also dropped Hakumen for Iron Tager. This way I can cosplay my main character, and pose for real SOVIET damage pictures!

...at nekocon

lynnafred
07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm currently in the planning stages for Jin and maybe Tao. I'd really like to have them done by next year's Anime Boston, but I'm not sure if I'll get them both done in time with work and school in the way.

Ghai
07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Good luck on Jin's. That thing just screams layers of clothing.

kiddevil
07-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Yay Blazblue! I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a mini group going to AX next year with me and it'd be awesome to have a gathering. Epic battle shots obviously. xD

I'll be cosplaying Carl Clover (who I still kinda suck at in the game. ._.;;)

mewtwo2222
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
That's cool! I would love to see some pictures when you're done and you have the time to upload some. :D Anyway, you can always plan on working on the outfit when you do have time, right? It would be awesome to see a Tao with retractable claws. o.o

Mm, I've seen some good Tao cosplays, but never one with retractable claws. So thats my inspiration for doing the costume. I'm working from the anatomy of a real cats claw, but on a larger scale. http://pusscats.com/Cat_Physiology-Paw.gif
I'll probably start it in the Christmas holidays, since I have way to much to do this con season.

Kitsoru
07-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Ooooh, glad to see this thread's been made, LOL! /subscribes

And now, on topic... Do any Taokaka cosplayers have any tips for how they made the sleeves of Taokaka's coat? Did you stuff them? Heavily interface them?
I'm cosplaying Kokonoe, but her coat is different from Tao's in that her 'paws' just hang down like kimono sleeves while her hands stick out through slits, and I'm not quite sure where to start with them. :lost:

On a more lulzy note, http://i32.tinypic.com/b49qtu.jpg LOL what is that belt bell hanging off of!? XD It's just floating there, there's nothing in the loop!

Anti Ai-chan
07-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Yay BlazBlue!
I'm for sure doing Rachel early next year and will hopefully have her for Fanime and AX. And yes, I plan on having my kitty umbrella of doom!

lynnafred
07-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Good luck on Jin's. That thing just screams layers of clothing.

After cosplaying America (Hetalia) with a whopping FOUR layers, Jin will be a piece of cake. haha

Endrea
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm planning on starting V-13 right after my next con. ^^

I'm having problems finding pictures of her though.

lynnafred
07-19-2009, 09:26 PM

I bought the artbook on ebay not too long ago. Once I get back from Baltimore and actually have the chance to LOOK through it, I can send you some scans of V-13 if you're interested. :)

I bought it so that I'd have a better idea on what I was getting into when I start the cosplays I've got planned.

confusedxphreak
07-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Here's the scans of the artbook. Since its already up, I dont want lynnafred to scan her own artbook and risk damaging it:)

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m65/tinymon/BlazBlue/

And here's a download to the Cure concept art pictures that used to be up on the website. :D

http://ja.curecos.com/img/tieup/blazblue/new/new.zip

Endrea
07-19-2009, 11:19 PM
OMG, thank you so much!! This will help me alot.

confusedxphreak
07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Yay BlazBlue!
I'm for sure doing Rachel early next year and will hopefully have her for Fanime and AX. And yes, I plan on having my kitty umbrella of doom!

Me and my friend was just talking about how no Rachel we have seen in-person so far has a Nago. :) I can't wait to see your Rachel when you're done considering your Valentine is so awesome!

OMG, thank you so much!! This will help me alot.

No problem. Its the least I can do for a fellow Blazblue fan. :D If any other people need the Cure concept pictures for the other characters, I have the links for those too.

mewtwo2222
07-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Hey, do you have Taokaka and/or Kokonoe?
:)

Anti Ai-chan
07-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Me and my friend was just talking about how no Rachel we have seen so far has a Nago. :) I can't wait to see your Rachel when you're done considering your Valentine is so awesome!

Thanks so much! I definitely have a thing for making odd props and I'm looking forward to not having to deal with anything floating anymore. If I can make Lucifero, I can make Nago! =3

confusedxphreak
07-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Hey, do you have Taokaka and/or Kokonoe?
:)

Here's Taokaka:
http://ja.curecos.com/img/tieup/blazblue/taokaka/taokaka.zip

I dont have Kokonoe, but Ill try looking to see if there are more concept pictures for her. :)

mewtwo2222
07-20-2009, 02:22 AM

confusedxphreak
07-20-2009, 02:31 AM
NP:DIm still trying to find some Kokonoe pictures because kitsoru posted a detailed one earlier, meaning concept pictures must exist. Haha. Sorry I couldnt help much for Kokonoe.

Endrea
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
What would you guys suggest for the armor pieces and the swords she has? I hae a friend who's worked on armor pieces before but he's out of town right now.

Ghai
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Are you planning on doing her battle suit? If so... I'd have on idea on the count of her feet. Its like standing on the top of your toes since they made them all bladed.

Her human form I'd suggest cardboard for that huge sword.

Kazukii
07-20-2009, 05:33 PM
For you Taokaka's. Hopegully we'll see some alternate colors - http://pici.se/pictures/bHFYmFytz.png

Endrea
07-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Are you planning on doing her battle suit? If so... I'd have on idea on the count of her feet. Its like standing on the top of your toes since they made them all bladed.

Her human form I'd suggest cardboard for that huge sword.

I'm making both of them, the battle suit and the human.

Chei
07-20-2009, 11:57 PM
Eep, Blazblue <33
Saw some amazing cosplayers of it at Fanime, and I really want to cosplay it sooner or later. 8)
However, I'm bogged down with cosplays for 2010, so I'll probably get started on one for 2011. /plans WAY too ahead xD
Kokonoe is the most appealing to me, but must..get self thinner. @_@

Dango!
07-21-2009, 12:25 AM
Ah, Blazblue. <3 I'm that horrible person who never bothered to get a xBox or PS3. ;_; So I'm left watching "Teach me, Ms. Boobie Lady" on Youtube. xD But before that, I actually really liked the costumes.

To be specific: Taokaka! <333 She's so adorable and... stupid, but adorably stupid! :'D

Endrea
07-21-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't own it yet but I was interested in it before it came out. Spend a week with my bf and he has it and it just makes me want it more. Pick it up next week or tomorrow. I loved the character designs though so I knew I had to cosplay as someone. ^^

Devkyu
07-22-2009, 03:29 AM
As much as I wanted to cosplay Jin... everyone including my mother is telling me to do Carl Clover instead. Guess that means I get to make a giant creepy puppet taller than I am to drag around!

Endrea
07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
YAY puppets. That character kinda reminds me of Trucy Wright from Apollo Justice. XD

So you get to have sister issues?

Nibi-chan
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
i'm looking into how i can pull off a good v-13. but not in her mecha version though i would like to that too sometime in the future. her mecha version is dream cosplay for me. i'm going to be doing a lot research and practiceing on sewing.

Endrea
07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm doing V-13 too, but I'm doing both suits, Mecha and normal. going to be working all year on it. XD I'm thinking about getting a skin suit or something like that and just modifing it, but I have to make sure I can still attach the armor onto it for when I want to do that one.

Devkyu
07-22-2009, 03:10 PM
YAY puppets. That character kinda reminds me of Trucy Wright from Apollo Justice. XD

So you get to have sister issues?

Already having sister issues! Trying to make Nirvana workable so far is aggravating. Keeping her the correct height, light enough to carry around, and able to be posed... makes Carl want to cry.

The upper torso I plan on having "solid", and keep the arms hinged, likely through PVC piping and string. However, I am clueless on how to do everything below the ribs. I would LIKE to have Nirvana able to be stood up so I don't have to drag her around on my back all day. Easiest would just have feet dangling on string, or I could go all-out and make legs out of wooden dowels or pvc piping.

Ghai
07-23-2009, 03:38 AM
Does anyone have any idea's on Tager's arms? I had to get rid of all my cardboard since it was taking up too much garage space, though more is easy to come by. I'm just a bit curious of materials to use, and how exactly to keep them from falling off.

Devkyu
07-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have any idea's on Tager's arms? I had to get rid of all my cardboard since it was taking up too much garage space, though more is easy to come by. I'm just a bit curious of materials to use, and how exactly to keep them from falling off.

Well, instead of cardboard you could probably use sheet foamies, I know they have huge roles at Michaels craft stores for around 8 dollars. Pretty sure they're 3 x 5 feet and since it can be rolled, would take up significantly less room than cardboard.

As for keeping them from falling off, you could maybe use elastic straps along then inside of them.

confusedxphreak
07-23-2009, 05:33 PM
I found some more reference pictures for the non-playable characters such as Hazama, Tsubaki, Kokonoe, etc:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n180/Kurushii-kun/BB_JP_Site_Extras/

Credits go to an awesome person on dustloop who has the time to find these pictures and screencap others. :) There are a lot other images such as event illustrations, arcade illustrations, portraits, etc. if anyone needs them.

☆ KEITA
07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Awe, the game hasn't come out in Canada yet but I'd love to cosplay from BlazBlue, and maybe pull my group into it too. :] The trailers are so cool! -- I plan to do Ragna, along with my friend who's doing Jin. d:

Lady Arieta
07-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Holy hell am I glad I found this. I was in a real panic cause I couldn't find any back reference to Ragna and this just totally saved my life xD! Much love! Glad to see BlazBlue making a grand entrance to most places ^o^

Endrea
07-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how i"m going to get the sword that V-13 to float.... ugh.

Dango!
07-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Tao's zipper is HUGE. D: Anyone know how to make that? I'm thinking of sculpy clay for the zipper-handle-tongue part. But I'm not sure what to make her actually zipper...

Also, I can't really tell, but is Tao's face shrouded in a shadow, or is only her head a shadow?

Yukari Kaiba
07-24-2009, 03:10 AM
a friend of mine who did Taokaka had a regular zipper hidden underneath a fake larger fabric "zipper", so it still has the look of the zipper (but doesn't actually function as one.
as far as her face goes, I would say her entire face is enshrouded in shadow.

i have a quick question about Ragna - would you guys say he is wearing hakama that pretty much have no pleating in them or just really wide-legged pants? I've heard its the first one I mentioned but I'd like to get input from you guys (I won't be starting on Ragna till closer to the end of the year, but I'm doing research in the mean time XD).

Dango!
07-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks, Yukari. :3

And to answer your question... it looks like... Huh, wow. Hard call.
BOTH?

Nah, It looks like really wide-legged pants, but that one seam down the middle has me confused. I'll say wide-legged pants.

confusedxphreak
07-24-2009, 06:05 AM
I would like to say his pants are hakama because it would seem more appropriate IMO; however, I think it would be easier to emulate and create the look of his pants if you were to make them with the intention of making wide-legged pants. Sorry about not being sure. Im still a sewing newbie. xD If it were me, I would try to make both and see which one comes out looking better in the end; although that doesnt make much sense with cost in mind. Haha.

Endrea
07-24-2009, 08:13 AM
It's probably wide pants though I do agree that a hakama because it would seem appropriate. It is a hard call. XD

lynnafred
07-25-2009, 01:01 AM
@ Yukari: I'd say hakama as well. If I were making them myself, I'd try to find a pattern for them online and see if I could alter it appropriately. At Otakon this year, however, I did see a Ragna wandering around who just had wide-legged pants, and they seemed to work well enough. If you went for the regular "wide legged pants" route, I'd suggest either:

A) putting in an extra seam down the center (for a total of three seams per leg, which is kind of a pain) or
B) press the pants in a way where the "seam" in the center would just be a perm-pressed fold. (It wouldn't look exactly the same as the extra seam route, but since I'm kind of new to sewing, I'd probably go this route unless I really knew what I was doing.)

And now, for my own mini-dilemma: I started to work on Jin the other day and noticed that one thing bugs me about his outfit in general - the cross-shaped buttons. There's two in the front, and six of them in the back. Every costume I've seen so far has these made out of white...pleather, I guess, but it looks wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could make them out of to make them look less...bad? I was thinking that plastic-y craft clay that you have to bake in order for it to set (I don't remember what it's called,) and then spray painting it a silver color. Would there be a better way to go about making them?

Yukari Kaiba
07-25-2009, 03:19 PM
@lynnafred - yeah I'm probably going to go with hakama without the pleating, since I already have a pattern (well more like guidelines, there aren't any physical patterns for hakama XD) I could use. I've got plenty of time to work on it though, though it will probably be the second or third otem of the costume I begin construction on (jacket and the Soul Eater are first priorities).

as for Jin's cross buttons: were you referring to sculpey? I'd avoid using sculpey for those, as its susceptible to chipping (I had a friend use them for the arrows on a Trinity Blood costume, they did not last very long). Wonderflex would probably work well for those; another option could be to cast those in resin.

kiddevil
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Already having sister issues! Trying to make Nirvana workable so far is aggravating. Keeping her the correct height, light enough to carry around, and able to be posed... makes Carl want to cry.

The upper torso I plan on having "solid", and keep the arms hinged, likely through PVC piping and string. However, I am clueless on how to do everything below the ribs. I would LIKE to have Nirvana able to be stood up so I don't have to drag her around on my back all day. Easiest would just have feet dangling on string, or I could go all-out and make legs out of wooden dowels or pvc piping.

Yo! I'm doing Carl too and have been toying around with ideas of how to do Nirvana as well. The idea of making her posed sounds epic, I was thinking of doing that but wasn't sure how I was going to go about it. @_@;;

My other idea was doing a Nirvana backpack like thing. Like creating a backpack around her and have the arms of the backpack be her own etc. Since then the whole towering over effect would be easy to accomplish but I dunno yet. Still drawing out some stuff.

It's like we need a GIANT my size barbie or something. xD

Also @confusedxphreak: ILU, srsly. Thanks for finding that. :3

lynnafred
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
as for Jin's cross buttons: were you referring to sculpey? I'd avoid using sculpey for those, as its susceptible to chipping (I had a friend use them for the arrows on a Trinity Blood costume, they did not last very long). Wonderflex would probably work well for those; another option could be to cast those in resin.

Sculpey, yeah! That's what it was called! I'll look into Wonderflex; personally, I've never heard of it before, but this early into the game it's good to look into a bunch of things. Thanks!

LCDextrose
07-25-2009, 07:01 PM
@lynnafred: craft foam; most of the metalic pieces on my Noel costume is made of that along with paint and sealing it with varnish. Best part about it? You can still sew it into fabric :)

confusedxphreak
07-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Model Magic should work for little accessories, trinkets, and such too, but I also have to vouch for the craft foam idea too. :) The only thing I dont like about craft foam is that all the ones Ive seen are pretty thin, so it cant be used for thicker objects unless you use multiple layers.

Kiyoshi: Whoo! I appreciate the love. :D Haha. If you need any more reference pictures, Ill be glad to help.

Oh, and out of interest, who else loves the game but sucks horribly at it as much as I do? xD

Yukari Kaiba
07-25-2009, 10:03 PM
*raises hand* XD
I don't even own a copy yet, I've just been able to play it at friends' houses (and first time playing the game was on a machine at my campus's arcade). So far I've found myself to be the best with Jin and Ragna second.

confusedxphreak
07-25-2009, 10:53 PM
*raises hand* XD
I don't even own a copy yet, I've just been able to play it at friends' houses (and first time playing the game was on a machine at my campus's arcade). So far I've found myself to be the best with Jin and Ragna second.

Awwww. You should pick up a copy when you can so you can play some more. Haha. I dont have that much trouble playing against the AI, but going online is another story. I get my butt kicked by other players so often its not even funny. xD Its one thing to master combos in training and another thing to try to use them against a human player. I tend to use Noel often because she's fast and its easy to start her combos, but I use Ragna also as a sub when I start having a losing streak with Noel. A change of character helps sometimes. :)

Endrea
07-25-2009, 11:04 PM
whoooo seems like we're getting more people XD

Kazukii
07-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Same boat as Yukari. Only managed to play a handful of times from a friends house. Don't got funds to spend on a game atm. ; - ;

Yukari Kaiba
07-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Awwww. You should pick up a copy when you can so you can play some more. Haha. I dont have that much trouble playing against the AI, but going online is another story. I get my butt kicked by other players so often its not even funny. xD Its one thing to master combos in training and another thing to try to use them against a human player. I tend to use Noel often because she's fast and its easy to start her combos, but I use Ragna also as a sub when I start having a losing streak with Noel. A change of character helps sometimes. :)

yeah when I first played on the arcade machine, I was doing pretty well against the AI and won my match using Ragna. Then some guy comes up next to the second player spot and puts in some change to play a match. I told him it was my first time playing so I apologize if I fail at the game. and despite him being all "its ok I'm using a character I don't even use" which was Hakumen, I still got my butt handed to me ><
but yes I do plan to myself a copy as soon as I can =D

confusedxphreak
07-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Ahaha. You probably have more potential than me. xD Ive played more than 25 hours (I know this because of a certain trophy that you get for playing 25 hours+) and I still get owned by newbies online. And dont feel bad about losing to any Hakumen users because it only takes a few hits from Hakumen and your character is sprawled on the floor motionless. xD

Kazukii: Hope you manage to get some funds for it soon. :) In the meantime, go freeload off your friend for BB goodness. Haha. :D
BTW, I love your forum avatar. That really convincing Vash cosplayer totally compliments your awesome Kuroneko outfit. It makes me smile everytime I see it. xD

Honkeykong
07-26-2009, 07:11 AM

For the arms you can do a couple different things, Mine were mainly sheet metal and card board. I wish I had more time to work with them but I only had half a month to get my Tager together.

And as for not falling down I built a handle in mine with a few cross bands to make it sit evenly on my arm. It was a pain to carry around and thanks to some good friends I didn't die.

Anti Ai-chan
07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Honkeykong!
I never freaking see you anymore but I'm so glad I saw you as Tager! You looked freaking epic!

Endrea
07-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Anyone have an idea of what i could make V-13 floating swords out of?

confusedxphreak
07-26-2009, 07:06 PM
In most cases when making a sword, I would suggest using wood because its sturdy, but since V-13 (Nu) doesn't wield it using her hands like a typical person, I think lightweight materials would work better. The easiest way to go about this I think is to either make it out of pink insulation foam or even cardboard if you're good with working with it. :)

mewtwo2222
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Try balsa wood as well :)

its a good light material, and easy to carve/sand.

Yukari Kaiba
07-26-2009, 11:15 PM
foam board could be another option too, since its light.

Honkeykong
07-27-2009, 03:44 AM
Honkeykong!
I never freaking see you anymore but I'm so glad I saw you as Tager! You looked freaking epic!

Yeah sry, I'm a hard one to pin down. We'll actually hang out next con, but remember you can always find me at the dances cuz I like to look stupid.

I would also recommend Foam board, its just easier if you want a wire system to support the swords because you can run wire thru it. Balsa does not like things getting plunged into it.

Endrea
07-27-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm having some friends help me with it... so we'll see what they're good with. This willbe my first difficult cosplay.

Devkyu
07-28-2009, 05:23 AM
I'll probably never get a chance to play it. My state essentially has no arcades and me and all friends within driving distance own Wiis. Someday, maybe, I may be crazy enough to shell out for a PS3, but until then I can always dream... I didn't even get to play it at Otakon. There was a crazy line at all hours around it in the Game Room. Ended up just playing Guilty Gear and beating Bridget as Bridget.

Kitsoru
07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Finally got my hands ON the game... Settled on Taokaka as my main, Jin as 2nd and Ragna as 3rd.

And even more convinced to cosplay Kokonoe now! I got my shoes for her in the mail today, and want to start getting materials and sewing soon, to get the hardest parts done first- specifically, the coat and maybe bangles.

confusedxphreak
07-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Devkyu: Perhaps when you do get a PS3, maybe the price of Blazblue will have dropped by then. :) I'm sure you'll get to play it eventually sometime soon though. BB isn't that exclusive. Haha. Give yourself something to look forward to.

Kitsoru: I admire you for having such enthusiasm and motivation to actually get started on something. xD I keep telling myself Im going to get something done everyday and I only end up doing perhaps 15 minutes of work on one cosplay, and that's only if I push myself REALLY hard. I'm also the complete opposite to you when starting on new projects because I get the basic, simple stuff done first. I like to start easy and build up so I get into the cosplay mode. :D I havent done ANY work on my BB cosplay except perhaps finding ref pictures.

BTW, for people who do own BB, do you guys/girls have a PSN? It would be fun to have some matches. :)

Endrea
07-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Someday, maybe, I may be crazy enough to shell out for a PS3, but until then I can always dream...

I know it's on Xbox360.... I'll be selling mine soon.

Kazukii
07-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Kazukii: Hope you manage to get some funds for it soon. :) In the meantime, go freeload off your friend for BB goodness. Haha. :D
BTW, I love your forum avatar. That really convincing Vash cosplayer totally compliments your awesome Kuroneko outfit. It makes me smile everytime I see it. xD

I plan to get it within the next few days. I have been getting to play quite a few different characters. XD Haha. I have been doing quite a lot of freeloading from them actually~

Thanks! ^-^
He was my fav Vash from that con. XD
Shame the picture doesn't want to upload to my gallery. So the Avi will have to do. ^^;

Aude
07-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Haha, I at first was only able to observe when it came out on a cabinet, since so many people were playing it in the arcades - but once it came to console, I could only play whenever I was at my guy's house. Rah, I don't have the systems to play at home, anyhow (I wish!). My main is Taokaka, with Arakune second.

Even before I was able to get my hands on the game and play, I loved Tao's costume too much to not plan to cosplay as her. xD;

lynnafred
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I'll probably never get a chance to play it. My state essentially has no arcades and me and all friends within driving distance own Wiis. Someday, maybe, I may be crazy enough to shell out for a PS3, but until then I can always dream... I didn't even get to play it at Otakon. There was a crazy line at all hours around it in the Game Room. Ended up just playing Guilty Gear and beating Bridget as Bridget.

Yeah, I noticed arcades are shutting down around me too. I didn't even attempt to go to the game room at Ota because it always looked so PACKED.

But, you know, if you live somewhere around the Hartford, CT/Springfield, MA area, I'd be more than happy to meet you and play. None of my friends like fighting games so I'm pretty much alone.

@ confusedxphreak: my PSN name is lynnli, but there's something wonky with my internet connection so it only works when it wants to. Haha But you can feel free to add me if you'd like. :)

On a totally unrelated note, I've been mentally toying with the idea of trying to make an Arakune costume instead of Taokaka. I've made a few rough design sketches, but I'm just trying to decide if it's actually plausible.

confusedxphreak
07-31-2009, 04:59 PM
lynnafred: Whoo! A Blazblue PSN buddy. I havent met any online through networking yet because apparently you meet friends through the player rooms, not the ranked battles. lol. xD Ill be sure to add you. My PSN name is the same as my name here so dont be thinking Im a stalker if I happen to message you. BTW, my internet connection has been kinda off lately too because I keep getting lags. I feel so bad because when I start getting lag, I start spamming Noel's drive button because its the safest thing to do. FAIL for me. xD

BTW, Ive tried to send you a friend request to your PSN name, but for some reason my PS3 says the name doesnt exist. o.o Is that your exact PSN name?

Dango!
07-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Pst, does anyone have any bright ideas about how to stuff Taokaka's hands/paws? >>;;

Currently, I'm planning on using round seat cusions, cutting a slit in them for my hands to fit. But I'm sure there's others ways to do it.

-Thanks. <3

mewtwo2222
08-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I would just use light stuffing. Like for soft toys and the like.

lynnafred
08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
lynnafred: Whoo! A Blazblue PSN buddy. I havent met any online through networking yet because apparently you meet friends through the player rooms, not the ranked battles. lol. xD Ill be sure to add you. My PSN name is the same as my name here so dont be thinking Im a stalker if I happen to message you. BTW, my internet connection has been kinda off lately too because I keep getting lags. I feel so bad because when I start getting lag, I start spamming Noel's drive button because its the safest thing to do. FAIL for me. xD

BTW, Ive tried to send you a friend request to your PSN name, but for some reason my PS3 says the name doesnt exist. o.o Is that your exact PSN name?

Yeah, I set it up so that it had the same name as my xbox account. haha I'll have to double check it when I get back home on Sunday and shoot you a friend request. :)

lynnafred
08-01-2009, 10:37 AM
oh, damn. Double post. Sorry, I was using my phone at the time and something screwed up. =/

confusedxphreak
08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I x-posted this in the wig, but I suppose it couldnt hurt to post my question here too. :) Anyway, Im planning on styling a Ragna wig and Im stuck on deciding what base wig to use. I know Ill probably have to add in some wefts to get the volume Ragna has in his spikes, but finding a base wig that has decent volume already would be easier on me. Haha. I also prefer it to be white because I plan on custom dyeing it slightly to get that grey tinge he has in his hair. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Dango!
08-02-2009, 09:35 PM
@confusedxphreak: I'd have to say Punky or Punky long [XL something like that] from cosworx. That's a pretty long wig that's normally used for spikes.

Yukari Kaiba
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree with Dango - I'm planning on getting a silver gray Punky from cosworx for my Ragna. The wig is pretty full and the spikes are already styled into it, all it needs is some styling product to section them off and make them more defined and a bit of trimming.

confusedxphreak
08-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Hmmm...I actually have an unstyled Punky XL already so Ill play with it and see what I can do. :) Thanks for the suggestion. If anything, Ill order another Punky XL in silver white and use the extra length of the wig to create wefts to add to the volume of the wig.

Kazukii
08-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Yeah the Punky is the best wig for uber spike hair of doom type characters.
And the silver / white punky keeps the pale silver even when it's styled up in spikes.
His hair is really thick so even some extra wefts added in couldn't hurt. c:

confusedxphreak
08-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Its funny that Ive had a Punky wig for awhile now but I never really thought of using it because it looked hard to style from how it initially looks like to the spiky hairstyle of other characters. But now looking back at the wig, the wig does have a lot of volume near the top so it does seem good for spiking. I just need an efficient way in rearranging the spikes. o.o

Yukari Kaiba
08-03-2009, 02:26 AM
if you separate the the spikes first by working hair wax into it starting from the roots, it will be easier to use hair cement or hair spray to define them more (plus the wax helps give the wig hair more lift).

confusedxphreak
08-03-2009, 02:42 AM
Hmmm...Ill definitely have to try that. I actually do have hair wax already so thats great for me. Every cent saved will make me feel better Im spending so much on wigs in such a short amount of time. :D Anyway, thanks for the tips. These tips will be a great help in my endeavor to experiment with the wig to make the spikes look natural.

livengood
08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm on a Blazblue kick of late.

I'm working on both Taokaka and V-13 at the moment. I have a friend who's going to be working on the mask with me, so I can actually change the expressions(like, hit a button and the mouth changes)

If it's done right, then it should come out really great. I'm going to work on making retractable claws too, which should be fairly simple.

V-13, I'm working on the armor at the moment, I've just about got the rough draft on the arm blades at the right size, though I might make them a tad thicker. Also noticed that certain parts of her armor have blinking lights(like the pieces on her hips) so I'm going to see about setting up a fairly simple lighting system in the costume.

Yukari Kaiba
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
that would be so cool if your Taokaka had a changing face! I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Kitsoru
08-05-2009, 02:07 AM
NP:DIm still trying to find some Kokonoe pictures because kitsoru posted a detailed one earlier, meaning concept pictures must exist. Haha. Sorry I couldnt help much for Kokonoe.

So late to reply LOL But I have a compiled folder of Kokonoe art (both official and fanart) so if you'd like me to zip it up and send it, let me know! It includes all the art on the Blazblue site, plus a bunch more.

Kitsoru: I admire you for having such enthusiasm and motivation to actually get started on something. xD I keep telling myself Im going to get something done everyday and I only end up doing perhaps 15 minutes of work on one cosplay, and that's only if I push myself REALLY hard. I'm also the complete opposite to you when starting on new projects because I get the basic, simple stuff done first. I like to start easy and build up so I get into the cosplay mode. :D I havent done ANY work on my BB cosplay except perhaps finding ref pictures.

FFFF man, I am the WORST at getting the motivation to start on stuff xD I'm good at getting together materials and planning stuff out (if I have the money available)... but then when it comes time to actually DO all the work- I get lazy or I get worried I'll mess up and ruin materials, and I end up procrastinating until something really kicks me into working Dx

--
About Kokonoe's paws (much like Taokaka's), I was thinking of stuffing them... but I was thinking, wouldn't the stuffing have to be sealed in like a pillow or something? Especially since Kokonoe's paws are basically just kimono sleeves. And that worries me that they might be too heavy and would pull at the shoulder and armhole seams...
Any Taokaka cosplayers lurking that can explain how they stuffed their paws?

mewtwo2222
08-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I havent done mine yet, but I'm thinking of putting the stuffing in a separate layer as part of the fabric, if you get that? Like, say if you had a lining in the sleeves, I would put the padding in between. It just means your hands dont have to swim in fluff xD
Hope I helped :)

Zerofox Kitsune
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Man would I ever like to make a BlazBlue cosplay. Only problem is, I wouldn't know just WHO to cosplay.

I like so many of the characters, so it'd be really hard to decide. Bang, Ragna, Jin, and Tager would probably be my choices, leaning mostly towards Bang. As much as I like Noel (who I play as) and Rachel, I'm not so sure I'd be willing cosplay as a female character.

But then again, it's said that real men aren't afraid to wear dresses...

Hmm...

lynnafred
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I havent done mine yet, but I'm thinking of putting the stuffing in a separate layer as part of the fabric, if you get that? Like, say if you had a lining in the sleeves, I would put the padding in between. It just means your hands dont have to swim in fluff xD

I talked to a girl that did that, and she said it worked great but she couldn't find a way to make her claws retractable with that method. So she ended up having the claws exposed the entire time, which she said was really annoying.

But that method DOES seem to be the easiest way to go about it.

Kitsoru
08-06-2009, 09:01 PM

I talked to a girl that did that, and she said it worked great but she couldn't find a way to make her claws retractable with that method. So she ended up having the claws exposed the entire time, which she said was really annoying.

Luckily, Kokonoe doesn't have claws! :toothy: So I'm probably gonna look at doing it this way, or by lining the bottom part with upholstery foam.

Rascal_Ryuk
08-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Actually im "Planning" As going as Hakumen in one year...Might be hard...But ill do it!

mewtwo2222
08-09-2009, 01:49 AM

Im trying to work in both.
I had lots of complicated mechanics worked out, but it seems easier to just use a push/pull sliding mechanism and include casings for the claws to slide through...

Ghai
08-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Actually, after comparing the two (Hakumen and Tager), Hakumen is the easier one. Granted, if you'd prefer getting his suit down to the letter you'll have to seek out cosplay Gods, because that stuff looks like metal, but moves like cloth. His sword wouldn't be too hard either, some cardboard and dowels, cardboard for the sheath, and a strap under the costume to hold on your back.

Course, I've found no easy way to make his mask without giving up your sight while wearing it. =\

shadownet752
08-10-2009, 11:55 PM
okay, so just shooting in the dark, ive started my bang cosplay and have to finish it in about 4 weeks, im well into it and working on the armor, nail, and shoes.

my only questions for you guys is if anyone has any of the emblems of the characters in a good quality. im specifically asking because Bang's emblem is on his vest piece and i'll need it eventually

either way my progress thus far for the gloves: http://shadownet752.deviantart.com/art/BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-132684194

let me know what you think.

Yukari Kaiba
08-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I have the BB artbook with a nice shot of the emblems on Bang's vest - give me a minute and I'll get it for you.
gloves are looking awesome :)

EDIT: ok so heres what I was able to get you from the artbook:
- http://i29.tinypic.com/seaf5j.jpg (back view of the vest)
- http://i26.tinypic.com/xokv1v.jpg (front view, also shows emblem placement)
- http://i26.tinypic.com/2je1pxf.jpg (concept art, good shot of the logos on the front)

from what I can tell, the emblems on the front of the vest in the concept art are thicker/bolder than whats shown in the final version (like the second image, where the emblems on the front appear to be thinner in appearance) and are slightly varied in design.

confusedxphreak
08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
You know what? Im just going to post the goldmine gallery of Blazblue screenies and extras brought to you by some awesome person on Dustloop forums:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n180/Kurushii-kun/

Navigation on the left. :) Enjoy.

shadownet752: Those armguards/gloves are just plain EPIC! If those armguards/gloves are any indication, you once again will have another awesome cosplay. :) Ill definitely look forward to seeing more progress shots and the final product! BTW, the link that will probably help you the most on that gallery I linked above is probably the one titled BB_X_Cure as it contains the concept art drafted by the creators and artists of BB. If you have seen these before, definitely still check out all the other images available in the gallery because Im sure you'll find something helpful. :D

The emblem on his back doesnt really resemble his character emblem, but this is the best image of his character emblem I could find at the moment:
http://tinyurl.com/emb09-bng

And another thing to note is that there seems to be discrepancies in how the emblems and other parts of the costume appear like in comparison to the concept art. If you are to view the in-game portraits of the characters, Bang's emblem and belt design for example, look quite different from the ones in the Cure concept art images.

shadownet752
08-11-2009, 10:04 AM
You know what? Im just going to post the goldmine gallery of Blazblue screenies and extras brought to you by some awesome person on Dustloop forums:

shadownet752: Those armguards/gloves are just plain EPIC! If those armguards/gloves are any indication, you once again will have another awesome cosplay. :) Ill definitely look forward to seeing more progress shots and the final product! BTW, the link that will probably help you the most on that gallery I linked above is probably the one titled BB_X_Cure as it contains the concept art drafted by the creators and artists of BB. If you have seen these before, definitely still check out all the other images available in the gallery because Im sure you'll find something helpful. :D

The emblem on his back doesnt really resemble his character emblem, but this is the best image of his character emblem I could find at the moment:

And another thing to note is that there seems to be discrepancies in how the emblems and other parts of the costume appear like in comparison to the concept art. If you are to view the in-game portraits of the characters, Bang's emblem and belt design for example, look quite different from the ones in the Cure concept art images.

i know what you mean, when going about the costume i've found what works well, and what is more "accurate", but at the same time i find myself refering to both in game and concept art... its very frustrating D8. but this costume will be done in 3 weeks!! look forward to more progress!!

all the same, thank you for your opinion and your photobucket link! love the pics!

lynnafred
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Navigation on the left. :) Enjoy.

Wow, thanks so much for posting this! This will really help me out with the cosplays I'm doing.

shadownet752
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
so answering my own request for a bang shishigami jacket emblem render . XD i stopped being lazy and whipped this up for people to use enjoy
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/shadownet_demos/bangsymbol.jpg

Kitsoru
08-14-2009, 02:37 AM

XD I was about to link that, if I hadn't seen anyone else link that yet.

Speaking of, Kurushii uploaded some very nice super hi-res ones tonight:

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n180/Kurushii-kun/BB_ARCEuro/BB_Emblems/

Bang's is here: http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n180/Kurushii-kun/BB_ARCEuro/BB_Emblems/BAng.png

confusedxphreak
08-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Kurushii is so awesome for compiling all the images into one convenient location. :) I just happened to have stumbled on that one thread when lurking the Dustloop boards for BB tips. Haha.

shadownet752: Great job on the emblem! Im sure all future Bang cosplayers will be thankful that you decided to answer and reply back to your own original request. xD

lynnafred: No problem on the link. :) Im glad itll be helpful to you.

R1KKu
08-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey there. So Im planning on making a Taokaka costume. I didnt think it would be such a popular character, but it's an adorable costume; I just cant say no to it. I only wish I had a system to play the game.

I hope to get started on it real soon and have been trying to come up with ideas. If anyone has suggestions for patterns, fabrics, or anything else, I would greatly appreciate it and return the favor. :bigtu:

Chipface
08-16-2009, 02:07 AM
So I'm cosplaying Ragna for FanExpo and just finished his sword. It's here (http://chipface-zero.deviantart.com/art/BlazBlue-Ragna-s-sword-133541489) if anyone feels like taking a look.

Kitsoru
08-16-2009, 02:58 AM
So I'm cosplaying Ragna for FanExpo and just finished his sword. It's here (http://chipface-zero.deviantart.com/art/BlazBlue-Ragna-s-sword-133541489) if anyone feels like taking a look.

WOW! Very nice job. Love the polished look.

lynnafred
08-16-2009, 11:01 AM

Wow, that looks awesome! Very nice.

@R1KKu: Most of the ones I've seen have been made out of fleece, but that sounds like it'd be really hot. One person I talked to at Otakon this year said she made it out of a medium-weight cotton fabric, and that it was a little cooler than the fleece ones.

kiddevil
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Wheeoh! It's cool to see all the people makin' blazblue costumes.

Anywho, I started workin' on drafting my Carl Clover patterns. All of that is pretty easy, the tough thing is finding the right color cotton twill fabric. I'm thinking I'm going to have to dye it all. Also Nirvana has been sort of figured out but I'm still debating on what to do for her face. It looks to, er solid? to be some sort of plush sewn thing. I dunno.

Good luck to everyone. I'm totally diggin' all in the progress/completed pictures I'm seeing. It's major inspiration to get this done. Haha.

Endrea
08-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I've still been working on getting V-13 fighting costume pictures. I have some but I'm trying to figure out how to attach the swords. Maybe invisable wire or something... I like to have it all figured out before starting.

I did start her normal outfit though.

Kitsoru
08-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Wheeoh! It's cool to see all the people makin' blazblue costumes.

Anywho, I started workin' on drafting my Carl Clover patterns. All of that is pretty easy, the tough thing is finding the right color cotton twill fabric. I'm thinking I'm going to have to dye it all. Also Nirvana has been sort of figured out but I'm still debating on what to do for her face. It looks to, er solid? to be some sort of plush sewn thing. I dunno.

Good luck to everyone. I'm totally diggin' all in the progress/completed pictures I'm seeing. It's major inspiration to get this done. Haha.

Maybe try using a wighead? I thought I've seen some silverish-black ones around somewhere...

I've still been working on getting V-13 fighting costume pictures. I have some but I'm trying to figure out how to attach the swords. Maybe invisable wire or something... I like to have it all figured out before starting.

I did start her normal outfit though.

Wire sounds like it'd be your best bet, yeah. String them on like beads and then maybe have little hoops attached to like, your pinky or something to control them.

--

Does anyone have any ideas as far as the decorations on the Grimalkin and Kaka clan's paws (concerning Kokonoe's coat, specifically)? I was thinking that they were probably intended to be some sort of soft rubber material, but I'm not sure where to find such a material, and it would probably be rather difficult to sew through...

moonlit-sky
08-17-2009, 03:45 AM
I'm trying to figure out the engineering behind Taokaka's costume structure, mainly her paws. I've already seen a number of Taokaka cosplayers over here all with the same problem, their paws look way too stiff and there's a limit amount of movement. I would wanna prevent that but her enlarged paw structure and our hands don't work too well together, the stuffing would make everything stiff... Unless i don't make her paws according to scale =x

Dango!
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
@Moonlit-sky: If you use normal stuffing, like for plushies and such, I don't think it'll be that stiff. It'd be moveable if you make it so that your hand and bend and such like Tao's hands. Maybe have a large glove inside so you can curl the paw with the stuffing around it?

Anyway, my Taokaka costume is made of fail right now. D: No one on this island seems to sell fleece. Or fleece in that light yellow color. > 3<

moonlit-sky
08-18-2009, 02:00 AM
@Dango!> The glove idea sounds good, i was worried at how much i can bend the paw with my hand in it. Thanks :3

Yukari Kaiba
08-18-2009, 02:33 AM
a friend of mine who did Taokaka has boxing gloves inside the paws, which gave the paw a nice shape.

R1KKu
08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
@Moonlit-sky: If you use normal stuffing, like for plushies and such, I don't think it'll be that stiff. It'd be moveable if you make it so that your hand and bend and such like Tao's hands. Maybe have a large glove inside so you can curl the paw with the stuffing around it?

Anyway, my Taokaka costume is made of fail right now. D: No one on this island seems to sell fleece. Or fleece in that light yellow color. > 3<

Id go for a lighter fabric. I cant imagine fleece being comfortable in that Hawaiian sun.

I think Im going to use twill; I just have some kind of infatuation with the fabric, but its great for both warm and cold weather cons. I think Im going to use a coat pattern, unless I can find a suitable dress pattern, and Im definately going to line it. I have some ideas for the paws, and hopefully I can work out a set of retractable claws.

Deeves
08-19-2009, 01:19 AM
I want to go as Haku-men. How would you pull that off? I know the Sword would have to be custume made, you'd need a skin tight long sleeve shirt. But how would you make the head piece, shoulder pads, boots and the white armor?

Ghai
08-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Well, what I'm doing is;

Sword: made from cardboard, may add bondo

Mask: craft foam. Don't forget that the horns on his mask connected in front of his neck. Looks like part of his collar. Ive given up on the ability to see out of it, and Im just going to find the best way to have it slide on and off without messing up the wig.

Armor: I'm "cheating" on this, though in my opinion it can't really be replicated anyway. His armor moves like clothing, and even has folds. I'm going to cut up a white sweat suit and fabric glue it, then add on the red eyes. Except his shin guards, I'll use left over craft foam.

Kitsoru
08-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Well, what I'm doing is;...

I'd suggest everything but the shoulders, helmets, ankles etc. be fabric, yeah. Maybe some parts of the arms... All of it on top of a black full dance bodysuit. (something like this (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/noname184.html))

I was laughing, reading through the translated Cure profile stuff on Dustloop that Mori wrote for cosplayers as far as what materials are supposed to- for Hakumen he says the black is supposed to be a rubbery material and the white is hard armor. Yeah, right.

There's a Hakumen on Cure already, if you'd like me to throw that up for inspiration. I know it looks like they used white wet-look vinyl for the armor.

vg_goddess02
08-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Yay for BlazBlue! Glad to see lots of other fans :3

And another Taokaka wanna-be here XD;. I'm making her primarily for my friend's group that debuted theirs at AX for the next AX(since they introduced me to it and now I'm a fan :P), but I'd like to make her sooner. Right now I'm aiming for Oni-con(Houston, TX).

confusedxphreak
08-20-2009, 05:57 AM
I'd suggest everything but the shoulders, helmets, ankles etc. be fabric, yeah. Maybe some parts of the arms... All of it on top of a black full dance bodysuit. (something like this (http://www.riversedgedancewear.com/noname184.html))

I was laughing, reading through the translated Cure profile stuff on Dustloop that Mori wrote for cosplayers as far as what materials are supposed to- for Hakumen he says the black is supposed to be a rubbery material and the white is hard armor. Yeah, right.

There's a Hakumen on Cure already, if you'd like me to throw that up for inspiration. I know it looks like they used white wet-look vinyl for the armor.

I read those comments about the materials too. Hakumen's really didnt make any sense to me. I remember something about soft metal? WTF? xD

And as for that Hakumen on Cure, it looks pretty amazing to me. o.o

vg_goddess02: Whoo! More AX cosplayers! I hope to see you next year at AX with your Tao outfit. BTW, your friends had awesome BB outfits. I caught glimpses of them throughout AX. :)

Yui
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey. ^_^ I've been getting a few random questions recently to make giant yellow zips specifically for Taokaka, but I wanted to get some more feedback first because we would have to make a large batch at once, and I want to be sure it's right. ( Also, I'm trying to convince Saeru it's a good idea. >XD )
To those who are interested in her: are you guys looking for a fully-functional zipper (that has a slider pull and detaches quickly/completely at the bottom) or just zipper chain (that you can "snap" together by hand to zip up)...? If we made a full separating zip, it'd be about 25" long - but if it was just the chain, it could be any length.

lynnafred
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Hey. ^_^ I've been getting a few random questions recently to make giant yellow zips specifically for Taokaka, but I wanted to get some more feedback first because we would have to make a large batch at once, and I want to be sure it's right. ( Also, I'm trying to convince Saeru it's a good idea. >XD )
To those who are interested in her: are you guys looking for a fully-functional zipper (that has a slider pull and detaches quickly/completely at the bottom) or just zipper chain (that you can "snap" together by hand to zip up)...? If we made a full separating zip, it'd be about 25" long - but if it was just the chain, it could be any length.

When I drew up my original design to make a Taokaka costume, the zipper wasn't really a zipper at all, but a series of regular snaps hidden under the "teeth" of the zipper, if that made any sense. It hadn't occurred to me at all to use a zipper because I didn't think that I'd be able to get a functional zipper that size.

I'd probably want the zipper to be functional, though, because snapping it closed seems like a pain unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

kiddevil
08-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Maybe try using a wighead? I thought I've seen some silverish-black ones around somewhere...

Yeah I was thinking about that, I'll play around with some ideas and see what sounds/looks the best. Yay brainstorming. xD

JJ/Ryojin
08-20-2009, 09:57 PM
So I decided to using a medical lab coat for my Ragna cosplay. http://www.pulseuniform.com/styleshop.asp?styledefault=PU-1014

I do have a regular red coat, but its a bit baggy so im going to use it for my Reiji Namco X Capcom cosplay.

Endrea
08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Wire sounds like it'd be your best bet, yeah. String them on like beads and then maybe have little hoops attached to like, your pinky or something to control them.

I'll probably attach it to my hands or something. I'll probably end up making the swords out of foam so they'll be lightwieght but probably put wonderflex or something so I have detail.

Also as I was playing V-13 stroy mode I noticed that her red eyepatch is over different eyes... so I'm not sure if I should follow the "stories' one or the battles.

Kitsoru
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
I read those comments about the materials too. Hakumen's really didnt make any sense to me. I remember something about soft metal? WTF? xD

LMAO yeah, I have no idea what he meant by that O__o Pewter, maybe? Pewter IS a soft metal (The solder on a pewter pendant I have just crumbled apart as a matter of fact, and the pendant itself is wearing badly), but in that same vein, it's so TOTALLY unsuited for armor of ANY kind.... >____> idk, man. Mori's nuts, no wonder he's Daisuke's protege.

Also as I was playing V-13 stroy mode I noticed that her red eyepatch is over different eyes... so I'm not sure if I should follow the "stories' one or the battles.

That may very well be just the sprite/art file flipping around, if she's speaking to whoever you're playing as as the CPU Player 2 Nu. I'd have to see myself to say for sure, but, woe for I do not yet have the actual game v.v /mooches off friends

--
Just bought my materials to make Kokonoe's coat! It's gonna require a bunch of pattern altering and augh, those sleeves will drive me nuts... but I decided that I'm making the designs on her paws out of those 1/4" thick sheets of fun foam- which conveniently, come in ONLY the exact colors I need. :toothy:

I also think that when I make her tail, I'm gonna try to put some kind of.. clip or clamp on the end of it, so I can clip it into the back of my pants after threading it through the coat. I can't think of any other way to make it work without making the back of the coat have a weird bump in it x.x;

Devkyu
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
So I've been hunting around for fabric for Carl... and I have to say it is RIDICULOUSLY hard to find any kind of fabric (let alone the ones I am looking for) in that shade of purple. The closest I found is a "blackberry" colored corduroy (not the striped kind). It has a very nice drape and weight to it, but is still a bit lighter than the shade I was looking for. At this point I'm debating just mixing up a dye myself.

As for Nirvana, my mom is trying to talk me out of carrying around a giant puppet that's a good foot and a half taller than I am, hahaha. My problem is keeping her light. I still have to consult a friend whose worked with the same materials before, but I'm thinking of shaping a lot of her body with insulation foam (except the upper legs, which I will use upholstery foam for) and threading thin wooden dowels through the limbs. I'm just not sure how strong those materials are for their weight, since I sort of wanted to be able to sit in Nirvana's lap for pictures without the foam... well... crunching apart.

Kitsoru
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
As for Nirvana, my mom is trying to talk me out of carrying around a giant puppet that's a good foot and a half taller than I am, hahaha. My problem is keeping her light. I still have to consult a friend whose worked with the same materials before, but I'm thinking of shaping a lot of her body with insulation foam (except the upper legs, which I will use upholstery foam for) and threading thin wooden dowels through the limbs. I'm just not sure how strong those materials are for their weight, since I sort of wanted to be able to sit in Nirvana's lap for pictures without the foam... well... crunching apart.

Good luck with your fabric hunting D: Yeah, that shade is probably gonna be hard to find.

As for Nirvana... :/a hrm. I can't think of any way that it can be both THAT durable, AND light enough to carry around. I mean, it depends on your weight.

moonlit-sky
08-22-2009, 12:21 PM
So I've been hunting around for fabric for Carl... and I have to say it is RIDICULOUSLY hard to find any kind of fabric (let alone the ones I am looking for) in that shade of purple. The closest I found is a "blackberry" colored corduroy (not the striped kind). It has a very nice drape and weight to it, but is still a bit lighter than the shade I was looking for. At this point I'm debating just mixing up a dye myself.

I feel for ya ;_;
Many textile dealers comment that purple is a uncommon color and they tend to only import the popular shades, which accounts to like 3? >_>
I almost cried whilst sourcing fabric for a DW costume which had 4 different shades of purple.

Endrea
08-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I had that problem with another cosplay except it was orange.... guess I'll have the problem again because I'm doing one her alternate color (since this cosplay is to make a friend happy and he uses the purple Nu). I'll be doing the purple,green, and silver Nu. yay

Yui
08-22-2009, 12:58 PM
When I drew up my original design to make a Taokaka costume, the zipper wasn't really a zipper at all, but a series of regular snaps hidden under the "teeth" of the zipper, if that made any sense. It hadn't occurred to me at all to use a zipper because I didn't think that I'd be able to get a functional zipper that size.

I'd probably want the zipper to be functional, though, because snapping it closed seems like a pain unless I'm thinking about it the wrong way.

Here are some visuals to help to better explain...

Fully-separating would look something like this = http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensui/3838058723/
( Meaning that it comes apart completely, like a jacket = http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensui/3838062585/ )

The snapping-together of zipper chain (or a shortened regular zipper) is actually really quick (like snapping together Lego's basically)...but since it doesn't have one or both end stops...you can still add a slider pull on the end, too = http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensui/3838851068/

Also, I forgot to mention that the zipper teeth have two different sides - a spiky zig-zag and the regular pawn-like interlocking - and either can be the top (the slider can be flipped around) = http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensui/3838846042/

And...this is the scale of the giant zips = http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensui/3799522937/

Kitsoru
08-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I had that problem with another cosplay except it was orange.... guess I'll have the problem again because I'm doing one her alternate color (since this cosplay is to make a friend happy and he uses the purple Nu). I'll be doing the purple,green, and silver Nu. yay

You mean this color? http://i26.tinypic.com/11ka90m.png
Unit 01 Nu! :toothy:

EDIT: Just found this- for anyone who's really given a HARD good look at Taokaka and Rachel's shoes, you'll have noticed they're platforms with NO HEEL.

Impossible, right?

I just found this hoof tutorial (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=207471.0) in the tutorial sticky in the forums, which shows how to make hooves- but it looks like it could be used to make their shoes as well. It'd prolly be hella painful, but it'd be accurate! XD

Endrea
08-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I do mean that color... doesn't seem like I'll need alot of purple facbric just need to make sure the pain I pick up matchs my fabric color.

moonlit-sky
08-23-2009, 02:50 AM
That hoof tutorial is wicked and perfect for making Tao's shoes! O_O
I think you can tweak around with the boot arc and platform height to make it look less painful. The ones in the tutorial are kinda high.

I've been under the impression that Rachel's shoes were a combo of super killer platforms AND heels...

Kitsoru
08-23-2009, 04:41 AM
That hoof tutorial is wicked and perfect for making Tao's shoes! O_O
I think you can tweak around with the boot arc and platform height to make it look less painful. The ones in the tutorial are kinda high.

I've been under the impression that Rachel's shoes were a combo of super killer platforms AND heels...

Well, the thing about Tao's shoes is that it looks like... she's standing inside a shoe inside a shoe inside legwarmers. So they're even worse than standing on JUST a hoof.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Rachel's shoes are super heel-less platforms, too. From this picture from the BlazbluexCure package:
http://i32.tinypic.com/30xddv4.jpg Sideview
http://i30.tinypic.com/2w74z8g.jpg Back

And Taokaka's, for comparison:
http://i26.tinypic.com/vyw3fk.jpg

Hers are more hooflike than Rachel's, but I think it could probably be used to achieve the same thing. The other thing you could do for Rachel is have a platform shoe where the stiletto spike is clear and the ball of the foot part of the shoe is opaque, but that might be hard to find...

Endrea
08-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Rachel's shoes might kill you XD

Kitsoru
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Rachel's shoes might kill you XD

Yeah. Especially because while Taokaka's standing on the ball of her foot- arched like a high heel, Rachel's shoes are supposed to have her foot flat and parallel to the ground. SO not even possible, lmao.

confusedxphreak
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Now we all know the main reason why Rachel's one of the slowest characters in the game without her Silpheed gauge to help her move. xD

On a random note, I got my 6B Hakumen shirt in the mail yesterday from Aksys! Now the image of Hakumen stomping on Ragna can follow me everywhere other than these forums. lol.

Ame Ryoshi
08-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I wanted to do Taokaka but then EVERYONE started doing Taokaka so I kind of dropped her off my list... XD

However, I do have a question! A friend of mine wants to cosplay Ragna The Bloodedge, and was contemplating how he could make Ragna's arm for one of his special finishing moves. Reference pic here. (http://aria-sorrow.img.jugem.jp/20090226_314287.jpg) Anyone have any ideas? He was thinking of buying a thick glove and sewing a red pattern onto it.

Endrea
08-23-2009, 10:36 PM
On a random note, I got my 6B Hakumen shirt in the mail yesterday from Aksys! Now the image of Hakumen stomping on Ragna can follow me everywhere other than these forums. lol.

YAY good job!

Kitsoru
08-23-2009, 10:50 PM
]On a random note, I got my 6B Hakumen shirt in the mail yesterday from Aksys! Now the image of Hakumen stomping on Ragna can follow me everywhere other than these forums. lol.

I want that and the Tao shirt so badly! TAT

Where did you order it from? I looked all over the Blazblue.jp site's goods section but only saw the artbook and arcade sticks being advertised... I know they're only available for RIOT Summer, but they're online, aren't they...?

confusedxphreak
08-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks! That 6B shirt was just too awesome for me not to get! :D

Im not sure where to get the Tao shirt, but you can get the 6B shirt and some other BB merch here at the official Aksys site here: http://www.aksysgames.com/store/

You can also try to win the 6B shirt by challenging the Aksys staff and beating them at BB. I hear theyre quite tough so polish up before you try. :) Also, if there are future Street Team missions for Aksys, try to do one and you'll get a free Bang patch as a gift. There are other perks to being on the Street Team such as special events and deals on merch so def try to join if you can. BB goodness! :D

Dango!
08-24-2009, 12:35 AM
So for Taokaka, I intend to use this large zipper (http://www.orgxiii.org/shop/shop/giant-30-jacket-zipper-18-red-copy/) but since it's white I wanted to paint it orange. What type of paint would stay on this zipper without chipping, peeling, or anything of that sort?

Kitsoru
08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
You can also try to win the 6B shirt by challenging the Aksys staff and beating them at BB. I hear theyre quite tough so polish up before you try. :) Also, if there are future Street Team missions for Aksys, try to do one and you'll get a free Bang patch as a gift. There are other perks to being on the Street Team such as special events and deals on merch so def try to join if you can. BB goodness! :D

Ah, but Tao shirts are only from ArcSys, I think Dx ....though, I've been waiting to see if Aksys is gonna put out that Kaka Kitten plushie or not... >___> That thing is mine if they do.

Unfortunately, I don't actually own the game, I only get to play on the rare occasions I get to visit a friend who has it v.v I've yet to find an arcade with it, either.

So they run matches against Aksys employees? I hadn't heard about that XD; I doubt they ever come around where I am, anyway. Aren't they only around SoCal?

So for Taokaka, I intend to use this large zipper (http://www.orgxiii.org/shop/shop/giant-30-jacket-zipper-18-red-copy/) but since it's white I wanted to paint it orange. What type of paint would stay on this zipper without chipping, peeling, or anything of that sort?

I'm... actually pretty sure that they're about to commission a batch of Taokaka zippers soon, so you might want to ask Yui about that o.o I'm pretty sure they were just here asking about who would want in on those zips, and help run that site.

Otherwise, ask them what kind of paint to use, since they make them XD; I'm not sure if they're metal or plastic, to be honest.

Dango!
08-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Yui? What now? D: Who exactly is Yui and how can I contact them? Also, I hope they do. ^^ It'd save me some time. Though IDK how expensive they'd be. ._.;;

confusedxphreak
08-24-2009, 01:12 AM
kitsoru: Actually, all you need to do is to email Aksys your PSN name or Xbox GamerTag and theyll randomly select people to fight against. From there, theyll challenge you over the network in BB. Everything is done over the network so you dont even have to be in a specific place to challenge them. All you need is a PS3 or XBox 360, a good network connection, and of course the game :) So yeah, Aksys being in SoCal does not mean you cant participate in on the fights.

Yui
08-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Yui? What now? D: Who exactly is Yui and how can I contact them? Also, I hope they do. ^^ It'd save me some time. Though IDK how expensive they'd be. ._.;;

^_^; I asked a couple posts ago.

First of all, we are planning on making yellow-toothed zips. (We might be able to make just the slider pull orange, though, if you guys think that'd be a good idea...?)

A giant fully-separating zip (with a pull) of a 25" length would be priced at $14 a piece. (If we go with just making plain zipper teeth, the same length would be about $8.)

( I made silly little video illustrations. ^_^; This explains what fully-separating v.s. just "zipper chain" means = http://www.orgxiii.org/shop/zipper-faq/ )

Otherwise, ask them what kind of paint to use, since they make them XD; I'm not sure if they're metal or plastic, to be honest.

As far as painting the zips (which *are* molded plastic...a metal zipper at that gauge would weigh a million pounds and be ridiculously expensive) it -is- possible, but we really only recommend it for zippers which won't be zipped much (or at all) since we can't guarantee it - since everyone applies paint differently. I painted the zip in my Riku vest and Saeru has made two pairs of Anti-Sora shoes with gradient-painted zippers, and all of those have held up for years of many uses at conventions. The stuff we used is Krylon’s “Fusion for Plastic” spray-paint.

Kitsoru
08-24-2009, 02:51 PM
kitsoru: Actually, all you need to do is to email Aksys your PSN name or Xbox GamerTag and theyll randomly select people to fight against. From there, theyll challenge you over the network in BB. Everything is done over the network so you dont even have to be in a specific place to challenge them. All you need is a PS3 or XBox 360, a good network connection, and of course the game :) So yeah, Aksys being in SoCal does not mean you cant participate in on the fights.

...I really need to get myself a 360 =A=

Dango!
08-24-2009, 09:07 PM
@Yui: Oh sorry. D; I actually did comb through the topic a few times and didn't see anything. Say yes to failure to read.

Ah I see I see. 14 dollars is a bit pricey, but I suck at price judgement and I can see why. Being custom zippers and all. ^^

Anyway, I think that it'd be better if the zipper was all one color, pull and all. Only because other people might need giant zippers for other costumes and they might be very "lolwut" about the fact that the pull is orange and the rest isn't. xD Unless the zippers were being specifically made for Taokaka costumes, then I'd say yes. Orange zipper, please. :3 Or if the pull was being crafted into Tao's weirdly-shaped pull which would probably make the price of the zipper double or something. :'>

But thanks for answering! :3 Are there any estimates to when these zippers will be released?

Ghai
08-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Question. Any idea's on transporting Haku=Men's sword? I've got a 5 seater, but with everything me and my girlfriend will pack, and someone may be car pooling with me... the only thing I can think of is to break it and remend it the day I'm going to wear it.

Also, would craft foam formed around wooden dowels keep shape?

Kitsoru
08-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Question. Any idea's on transporting Haku=Men's sword? I've got a 5 seater, but with everything me and my girlfriend will pack, and someone may be car pooling with me... the only thing I can think of is to break it and remend it the day I'm going to wear it.

That's the problem I always come upon with my big props XD; Like my May anchor, or during the process of building Paracelsus. But I've never had to think about breaking apart such a long, 1 pieced thing, so... hm :/a

You could have it separate at the guard and blade? But that's all I can think of.

Endrea
08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Big props can cause problems somtimes.... >< Maybe you make it into two pieces or something.

Yukari Kaiba
08-25-2009, 09:45 PM
tying it on the roof of your car might be an option. My scythe for my Noitora costume is way too big to fit inside my car, but I was able to tie it to the roof no problem. I just wrapped a sheet around the blade to cushion it, secured the chain to the staff so it wouldn't flop around, and secured the whole thing to the roof no problem =).

Razpop
08-26-2009, 04:25 AM
I've been reading through this thread and I haven't seen anyone else having as much problems with Taokaka's zipper pull (tab thingy) as I am. I have no clue where to start with it and I've searched everywhere online hoping I could just buy it but I'm starting to think that I have to make it from scratch. I want something that would be light, as well. If that's possible. :)

Or put shortly: How do I make Taokaka's zipper tab?

R1KKu
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I've been reading through this thread and I haven't seen anyone else having as much problems with Taokaka's zipper pull (tab thingy) as I am. I have no clue where to start with it and I've searched everywhere online hoping I could just buy it but I'm starting to think that I have to make it from scratch. I want something that would be light, as well. If that's possible. :)

Or put shortly: How do I make Taokaka's zipper tab?

Some craft foam should do the trick for the zipper tab; either a thick sheet or by layering a few sheets. Other options are foamcore, pvc sheet, and wood.

Endrea
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I've had to put mine on hold for a while, since my con is coming up. I'll pick it back up after the con. YAY v-13!!

Razpop
08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Some craft foam should do the trick for the zipper tab; either a thick sheet or by layering a few sheets. Other options are foamcore, pvc sheet, and wood. Alrighty! Greatly appreciated! ^^

Kitsoru
08-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Have half of Kokonoe's coat done as of tonight. Good god that thing is beastly. The seam on her sleeves is like.. in the front, instead of on the underside where it should be, so I had to like, make it twist... and contort in weird ways ... 6_9

I started with a kimono sleeve and ended up with something I can't even describe, lol. It was certainly an experience. A little more tailoring and the base coat should be done, though :)

I really wish I had a serger available to me, though. This twill is fraying horribly... =_=

Endrea
08-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Well we all learn from our crazy stuff and sometimes it turns out to be something we can use. XD

R1KKu
08-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Have half of Kokonoe's coat done as of tonight. Good god that thing is beastly. The seam on her sleeves is like.. in the front, instead of on the underside where it should be, so I had to like, make it twist... and contort in weird ways ... 6_9

I started with a kimono sleeve and ended up with something I can't even describe, lol. It was certainly an experience. A little more tailoring and the base coat should be done, though :)

I really wish I had a serger available to me, though. This twill is fraying horribly... =_=

Yeah, Ive been contemplating how to alter a pattern for Taokaka's sleeves. Those things are crazy. I plan to add lining to the coat, but Im also trying to work out some kind of retractable claw system and lining the sleeves would almost certainly be out of the question.

Try to take some pinking shears to the edges, or you can do a zig-zag stitch to help with the fraying.

Kitsoru
08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Well we all learn from our crazy stuff and sometimes it turns out to be something we can use. XD

Exactly! :toothy:

Yeah, Ive been contemplating how to alter a pattern for Taokaka's sleeves. Those things are crazy. I plan to add lining to the coat, but Im also trying to work out some kind of retractable claw system and lining the sleeves would almost certainly be out of the question.

Try to take some pinking shears to the edges, or you can do a zig-zag stitch to help with the fraying.

If I can, I'll try to draw out the shape that my Kokonoe paws ended up becoming as a sort of... pseudo-pattern for this thread XD;

The only good solution I've seen suggested for her claws is the rake-style insert... but I can't fathom how you would hide that inside your sleeve when it's not in view D: Especially considering how FITTED the top of her sleeve is (had the same problem with Kokonoe).
Maybe.... you could make a hidden or inner zipper in the sides of her sleeves? x.x; Weird but it may work.

And yeah, I tried a zigzag stitch along the visible edges hanging at the back of the coat, but it's not helping as much as I'd like it to Dx

Yukari Kaiba
08-27-2009, 01:57 PM
I believe theres a "glue" of sorts that you can apply to the edges of the fabric to prevent the fraying. I've seen it sold at Joanns and sometimes at Michaels, so maybe that might help.

Kitsoru
08-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I believe theres a "glue" of sorts that you can apply to the edges of the fabric to prevent the fraying. I've seen it sold at Joanns and sometimes at Michaels, so maybe that might help.

Fraycheck! :toothy: Fraycheck is usually my friend, but I'd rather not use fraycheck on this white fabric as I hear it can yellow and look gross in time D:

Yukari Kaiba
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
maybe if you had an extra scrap of fabric you could test it to see if it does yellow the fabric? Cause I would think if its on the inside of the garment where it can it be seen, it should be ok.

Kitsoru
08-28-2009, 12:34 AM
maybe if you had an extra scrap of fabric you could test it to see if it does yellow the fabric? Cause I would think if its on the inside of the garment where it can it be seen, it should be ok.

I should test it... but the place I'd definitely be using it is the seam down the back of the coat, the part that shows behind her legs D: so if it ends up showing, I'm gonna definitely have to serge it v.v; The raw edges I have right now don't bug me, since they're getting bias taped anyway, but that backseam could be problematic.
--

I have progress pics up for Kokonoe! Finished the coat's base, more or less- it needs some more tailoring to get the fabric to flow behind me from the hips, but that shouldn't be hard :) I also finished her shoes and am working on her bangles. Oh man, sealing this styrofoam is taking forever XD

I'll try to draw a...sort of pattern (at least, a shape for you to follow) for Taokaka/Kokonoe/Jubei paws. It's harder to tailor in from an already-made pattern than it is to just make the damn thing from scratch =___=; I'll post it here later.

R1KKu
08-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Fraycheck! :toothy: Fraycheck is usually my friend, but I'd rather not use fraycheck on this white fabric as I hear it can yellow and look gross in time D:

I found this stuff called "Aleen's Stop Fraying" or something like that. Its a white glue that dries clear and sort of ?rubbery?. Ive used it a few times on ends and never noticed any yellowing. I bought it at Hobby Lobby some time ago.

I'll try to draw a...sort of pattern (at least, a shape for you to follow) for Taokaka/Kokonoe/Jubei paws. It's harder to tailor in from an already-made pattern than it is to just make the damn thing from scratch =___=; I'll post it here later.

Thank you so much! That would help alot. I hope to pick up a coat pattern today and at least get that cut out.

I saw the picture of your coat. It looks adorable. I bet that was fun to make.

JJ/Ryojin
08-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I think the hardest part of my Ragne cosplay will be his sword. How should I approach it?

R1KKu
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
I think the hardest part of my Ragne cosplay will be his sword. How should I approach it?

Hmm, Im thinking either foam and fiberglass or wood (Im a fan of pine). That sword is badass though.

The foam/fiberglass would definately give you a much lighter prop.

Endrea
08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Trying to figure out V-13 loving floating feet... guess I'll have to make them like normal shoes that go up my leg to the length that they stop at.

Kitsoru
08-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I found this stuff called "Aleen's Stop Fraying" or something like that. Its a white glue that dries clear and sort of ?rubbery?. Ive used it a few times on ends and never noticed any yellowing. I bought it at Hobby Lobby some time ago.

Thank you so much! That would help alot. I hope to pick up a coat pattern today and at least get that cut out.

I saw the picture of your coat. It looks adorable. I bet that was fun to make.

Ooooh, I haven't heard of that product! I'll definitely check it out. I love Aleen's products XD

Okay, so I made it in Illustrator so I could save it as a vector illustration, so you can more easily resize it... but most people probably can't open illustrator files so I saved it as a png. Second best option.

Aaaaand here's the pattern for Kaka/Grimalkin sleeves!

http://i31.tinypic.com/s4uec0.png

I noted where in the sleeve it opens for Kokonoe and where Taokaka's claw slits would probably be. Also, the arm hole is sorta... iffy, really. You kinda have to just make it work with whatever base coat pattern you're using with a lot of adjusting. In the process of making it, it was very... touch and go, so I tried to approximate the shape I started with and show what it ended with. I hope it at least helps somewhat XD;

Thanks! I hope to get more work on her bangles done today. At least to get the sealing done... =___=;

Trying to figure out V-13 loving floating feet... guess I'll have to make them like normal shoes that go up my leg to the length that they stop at.

Bootcovers over high heels sounds like the way to go, with Nu. It looks like that may have been what the one on Curecos did, but I can attach a photo for you to reference if you want. That cosplayer didn't do her swords, though.

EndThisRapture
08-30-2009, 05:32 PM
I was wondering what would be a good fabric to work on either a Jin or Noel cosplay~ Cause I want the colors to be bold, but I don't want the fabric/texture to be inaccurate..

R1KKu
08-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I was wondering what would be a good fabric to work on either a Jin or Noel cosplay~ Cause I want the colors to be bold, but I don't want the fabric/texture to be inaccurate..

I almost swear by twill fabric because it comes in a wide variety of colors, its comfy, and you dont necessarily have to line it. One fabric store near me has a whole row of nothing but twill; it's like heaven. Im using it to make my Taokaka costume. A suiting fabric might also be the way to go; I think it has a less noticeable weave if thats what youre going for.

Okay, so I made it in Illustrator so I could save it as a vector illustration, so you can more easily resize it... but most people probably can't open illustrator files so I saved it as a png. Second best option.

Aaaaand here's the pattern for Kaka/Grimalkin sleeves!

http://i31.tinypic.com/s4uec0.png

I noted where in the sleeve it opens for Kokonoe and where Taokaka's claw slits would probably be. Also, the arm hole is sorta... iffy, really. You kinda have to just make it work with whatever base coat pattern you're using with a lot of adjusting. In the process of making it, it was very... touch and go, so I tried to approximate the shape I started with and show what it ended with. I hope it at least helps somewhat XD;

Thanks for the pattern and tips. I constructed one yesterday. It was a bit of trial and error but I think it'll work out. Its 2 parts; a front and a back, like if you were to take a commercial sleeve pattern and fold it in half. Now all I need is some lining fabric and I can get started. I can just hear my sewing machines crying now.

Kitsoru
08-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Well, I'd say different parts of the costumes- especially Jin's- would be different materials... But 'matching' parts of the costumes would be the same material since they're wearing uniforms of the same organization. Like say maybe something like a nice poplin for Jin's little white undertunic thing and the white of Noel's dress and maybe even for the blue and red of their outfits (Noel's tie), and something stretchy for Jin's black underarmor-type stuff and the bust of Noel's dress.

I think the parts that look ambiguously yellow or gold would probably look better as golden yellow non-metallic fabric, but that's just me.

I almost swear by twill fabric because it comes in a wide variety of colors, its comfy, and you dont necessarily have to line it. One fabric store near me has a whole row of nothing but twill; it's like heaven.
I, too, overabuse the magic of twill. I can't help it! It's the perfect fabric :toothy: (Or would be if only it didn't fray so much...)
Thanks for the pattern and tips. I constructed one yesterday. It was a bit of trial and error but I think it'll work out. Its 2 parts; a front and a back, like if you were to take a commercial sleeve pattern and fold it in half. Now all I need is some lining fabric and I can get started. I can just hear my sewing machines crying now.
Yeah, it's very much trial and error, lol. And that's actually exactly what I did to the commercial sleeve pattern I started out with! :toothy:

I moved back to college today and cannot wait to get my hands on the nice sewing machines and sergers in the Fashion department to work some more on this baby... :cool:

Kitsoru
08-30-2009, 07:32 PM
fdghsgjf god I'm tired from moving, accidental double post, sorry xAx;

Yukari Kaiba
08-31-2009, 02:09 AM

when I get around to working on my Ragna this coming november, I'm planning on making the base out pine and then probably adding in some of the details with foam.

Dango!
08-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Pst. Does anyone know if you can tea stain fleece?

I found some nice fleece from Ben Franklin [a craft store which I'm not sure the Mainland has] but it's white. So I planned on trying to tea stain it to a more light brown/yellow color.

Anyone know if this is possible.

JJ/Ryojin
08-31-2009, 11:07 AM
when I get around to working on my Ragna this coming november, I'm planning on making the base out pine and then probably adding in some of the details with foam.

Im thinking of making the black part of the sword out of wood, pine possibly, and the blade out of cardboard.

Kitsoru
08-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Pst. Does anyone know if you can tea stain fleece?

I found some nice fleece from Ben Franklin [a craft store which I'm not sure the Mainland has] but it's white. So I planned on trying to tea stain it to a more light brown/yellow color.

Anyone know if this is possible.

Tea staining..? o.oa I've never actually heard of that being done before XD; Now I'm curious to see.

Try testing it on a scrap of fabric, maybe?

Radiant Nightmare
08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I've already started buying the material I'll need for Taokaka complete with glowing red eyes and retractable claws. I'm thinking if she looks anything like Jubei, I might consider either painting my face as well. You know like for her actual face and have it covered with black cloth to get the shadowed effect. Who knows. I'm just throwing out ideas.

I wont be working on the costume until after AWA. Gotta finish up Midna and Miku first.

Taokaka cosplayers unite!

Radiant Nightmare
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking if she looks anything like Jubei, I might consider either painting my face as well. You know like for her actual face and have it covered with black cloth to get the shadowed effect. Who knows. I'm just throwing out ideas.

Ah scratch that idea. I just realized she would probably look more like Kokonoe.

LCDextrose
08-31-2009, 05:19 PM

Someone translated the offical stuff on CurexBlazblue on character profiles + materials (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358119&postcount=204). I do have to say some of it might be sort of "yeah... right" but it's not a bad place to start to give you an idea. Also, the gold vs yellow will forever remain a 'mystery' with them so take your pick on what you want to go with.

Kitsoru
08-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Someone translated the offical stuff on CurexBlazblue on character profiles + materials (http://community.livejournal.com/daily_lolita/2157830.html#cutid1).

I think you linked the wrong thing... XD

Here's the link to the dustloop translations of CurexBB though. (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358119&postcount=204)

LCDextrose
08-31-2009, 06:43 PM
I think you linked the wrong thing... XD

Here's the link to the dustloop translations of CurexBB though. (http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358119&postcount=204)

Hahaha yeah I ment that -_-' I was off to la la land (woah)

Kitsoru
08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Hahaha yeah I ment that -_-' I was off to la la land (woah)

XDD /patpat
You're not alone =___=; long day...

Looking over his note again, I'm going to guess by 'thick material' he means twill, and by 'rubbery material' he really means something like spandex or swimsuit fabric.... and by 'silver' he probably means sterling silver or a silvery metal like pewter or stainless steel.

And when he says, 'Made of a strange, metallic fiber. The metal is elastic, and the tips are silver.', he probably means something with a metallic weave like lamé. You could use stretch lamé, Spandex House has it. (http://www.spandexhouse.com/products.asp?id=94&pname=Stretch%20Lame%E2%80%B2)

Also, with comments like this little gem:
'Above the knee, not on the knee, raise it to the middle of the thigh, pretty please. Good luck, and please pick poses that show the seen and unseen.'
No one will ever be able to unconvince me that Mori is a total pervert XD

Endrea
08-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow that actually comes in handy

Dango!
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah I heard about it being done. It can either give something an aged look or make it tinted a tea color. I'm hoping I can get white fleece to turn light yellow or light light light brow. = 3=

Kitsoru
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow that actually comes in handy

I know, right? :toothy: I just wish he'd included the NPC characters in the guide, too.. =__=;

Yeah I heard about it being done. It can either give something an aged look or make it tinted a tea color. I'm hoping I can get white fleece to turn light yellow or light light light brow. = 3=

Interesting o.oa Well, let us know how it turns out if you test it! I'm curious now XD

Dango!
08-31-2009, 10:18 PM
I shall! Now to go plunder some store for their fleece.

Radiant Nightmare
08-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I wish there was a fabric store in this town...

I had to order my fleece online. $17 for 4 yards >_>

Kitsoru
09-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I wish there was a fabric store in this town...

I had to order my fleece online. $17 for 4 yards >_>

XDDD I usually order online too.. either because at home I'd have to drive half an hour or more for fabric and the stores around me aren't even well stocked, or because I'm too lazy to commute at school and already know what I want >___>;

Or, for stuff like faux fur, because I can only FIND what I want online. =_=;

Radiant Nightmare
09-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Oh don't you just hate -waiting- for things to come in the mail?

Yeah buying supplies can be a lot cheaper and less time consuming. I'm still learning about fabric. I just checked my email and the seller refunded $4. $13 for 4 yards of fleece isn't too bad I guess. Seriously I'm still new to fabric, so I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

kkoganei1328
09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Oh don't you just hate -waiting- for things to come in the mail?

Yeah buying supplies can be a lot cheaper and less time consuming. I'm still learning about fabric. I just checked my email and the seller refunded $4. $13 for 4 yards of fleece isn't too bad I guess. Seriously I'm still new to fabric, so I don't know if that's a good deal or not.

that's a good deal =). nice fleece generally runs around 7.99 and up. the cheapest i can get it for usually is around 3.99 a yard at a fabric store.

Radiant Nightmare
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
that's a good deal =). nice fleece generally runs around 7.99 and up. the cheapest i can get it for usually is around 3.99 a yard at a fabric store.

Sweet

I know I'm not the only one who goes to bed thinking about ways to make their costume.
I honestly think the only hard part of Taokaka would be making the claws retractable. I'm thinking...have the claws attach to a glove inside the paw...I don't know. The idea sounds better in my head. lol

I don't really know much about working with el wire, so I'm thinking of using reflective tape for the eyes and teeth, so they'll at least glow when the camera light flashes on them. Again the idea sound good in my head.

shadownet752
09-01-2009, 09:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/shadownet_demos/BANG_2_0_by_shadownet752.jpg

bang = done

now to just put it all together! 8D

Radiant Nightmare
09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice job!

Kitsoru
09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I know I'm not the only one who goes to bed thinking about ways to make their costume.
I honestly think the only hard part of Taokaka would be making the claws retractable. I'm thinking...have the claws attach to a glove inside the paw...I don't know. The idea sounds better in my head. lol

I don't really know much about working with el wire, so I'm thinking of using reflective tape for the eyes and teeth, so they'll at least glow when the camera light flashes on them. Again the idea sound good in my head.

I've actually been thinking about Taokaka's claws too, and the only way you'd probably be able to easily get them in and out with the 'rake' method of putting them together is with a zipper up the side of her paw to take them in and out. The top of the sleeve would be too narrow to pull it up into. If you kept each claw separate somehow.. well, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but you'd have to keep them from either falling out, or wobbling too much.

As for using reflective tape for her face, I think that's a great idea! You should get some and test it out with some camera tests :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/shadownet_demos/BANG_2_0_by_shadownet752.jpg

bang = done

That looks awesome!! Can't wait to see full pics :toothy:

Radiant Nightmare
09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I've actually been thinking about Taokaka's claws too, and the only way you'd probably be able to easily get them in and out with the 'rake' method of putting them together is with a zipper up the side of her paw to take them in and out. The top of the sleeve would be too narrow to pull it up into. If you kept each claw separate somehow.. well, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but you'd have to keep them from either falling out, or wobbling too much.

As for using reflective tape for her face, I think that's a great idea! You should get some and test it out with some camera tests :)

I'll keep figuring out ideas. If all else fails, I can go with the claws. I want the eyes to glow more than anything. But yeah I'm going to try the reflective idea. I hope it works.

Dango!
09-01-2009, 04:11 PM

bang = done

Hah! Kick ass! I'm waiting to see more. :33

Radiant Nightmare
09-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I started on Taokaka's leg warmers tonight. I should have them finished tomorrow. I know I said that I wouldn't start on it until AWA, but I couldn't resist. ^_^

Chances are I won't have enough fabric to make both the jacket and arms out of the fabric that I have right now. I'll probably have to buy some more. My guess is that her arms/sleeves are 36". Hm...maybe I will have enough if I don't screw anything up.

R1KKu
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I started on Taokaka's leg warmers tonight. I should have them finished tomorrow. I know I said that I wouldn't start on it until AWA, but I couldn't resist. ^_^

Chances are I won't have enough fabric to make both the jacket and arms out of the fabric that I have right now. I'll probably have to buy some more. My guess is that her arms/sleeves are 36' long. Hm...maybe I will have enough if I don't screw anything up.

Im sure you meant 36" (inches). 36' (feet) and she'd be a giant, lol. Just dont make them too long though, especially if you plan to add the claws in; you do want to have some control over those claws and not have them flopping around on the ground, knocking people over, etc. etc.

I hope to get started on mine soon; just gotta finish up another costume so I can switch out my serger threads. I have everything for the coat cut out, but I think Im going to have to alter it some; I think its just a wee bit too big on me.

Radiant Nightmare
09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Haha! Yeah I meant 36". I changed it. Thanks for noticing. Boy if they where that long, I'd end up killing myself and anyone within reach. XD

I think I'll knock off 6". 30" should be enough to keep them from touching the ground.

Kitsoru
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Hmmm... I've been considering this off and on, but I'll ask for some input on this one:

For Kokonoe, should I wear small fangs (they only show when my mouth is open)? Do you feel her canines are shown prominent enough and/or that they would contribute to the overall image of the costume?

I was tossing around the idea of long false nails as well, since even in Buluraji art they draw her nails pretty prominently. Any opinions either way?

Radiant Nightmare
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
I say go for it. It maybe be a small detail, but it's still a creative idea for the character.

I'm still going to go with my makeup idea, so I'll still look like a cat when I don't have the hood on.

Dango!
09-07-2009, 02:55 AM
@Taokaka Cosplayers: What pattern did you guys use? I'm having issues finding a pattern suitable.

R1KKu
09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
@Taokaka Cosplayers: What pattern did you guys use? I'm having issues finding a pattern suitable.

I went with Simplicity #3562 because I had it on hand. I did a bit of altering but I left the side pieces because I like the seams in the front and back, even if its not accurate; I had trouble finding one with just front and back that I liked since most women's coats hug curves. But yeah, just about any standard coat pattern will do.

I'm almost done with mine. Sewing the yellow pieces in the middle was the best part. o.O

Radiant Nightmare
09-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I went with Simplicity #3562 because I had it on hand. I did a bit of altering but I left the side pieces because I like the seams in the front and back, even if its not accurate; I had trouble finding one with just front and back that I liked since most women's coats hug curves. But yeah, just about any standard coat pattern will do.

I have a coat that could pass off as Tao's if it where only yellow. It's the same length as well. Basically using that as a pattern and just making a few little altercations to it. Not much, just leaving off the front pockets and adding a hood and the long.

I'll take pictures of the coat I used when I start posting progress pictures.

Oh and I have a question as well.
Tao cosplayers: Does your jacket have lining on the inside?

R1KKu
09-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh and I have a question as well.
Tao cosplayers: Does your jacket have lining on the inside?

Yep, Im lining mine.... especially since right now it's white (dunno if Im going to dye it).... but I like to think lining gives it a more professional look and makes it more comfortable in the warmer weather because it helps to wick sweat away.

Radiant Nightmare
09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree. It will also help especially when it get's colder.

What type of dye are you planning on using? I'm thinking about taking the fabric that I have let over from the coat and dying them the yellow and orange pieces for the costume instead of just buying more fabric.

Kitsoru
09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I saw an example of that tea-dye Dango! mentioned, on a Zelgadis costume in Cosmode. Their fabric was a VERY pale, but just barely noticeable tiny of tan, just about perfect for Tao (could be slightly yellower depending on your preference, which I'm sure could be accomplished by adding more teabags).

But still not sure how it'd work with fleece and how it's accomplished exactly. ...I'd assume you just soak a bunch of fabric in LOTS of water with LOTS of teabags.... XD;

R1KKu
09-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree. It will also help especially when it get's colder.

What type of dye are you planning on using? I'm thinking about taking the fabric that I have let over from the coat and dying them the yellow and orange pieces for the costume instead of just buying more fabric.

The fabric I used is a poly/cotton mix; I think Dylon dyes work well for those fabrics. If I can find a suitable color, Ill definately give it a try.

lynnafred
09-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I saw an example of that tea-dye Dango! mentioned, on a Zelgadis costume in Cosmode. Their fabric was a VERY pale, but just barely noticeable tiny of tan, just about perfect for Tao (could be slightly yellower depending on your preference, which I'm sure could be accomplished by adding more teabags).

But still not sure how it'd work with fleece and how it's accomplished exactly. ...I'd assume you just soak a bunch of fabric in LOTS of water with LOTS of teabags.... XD;

Actually, from what I know, fleece doesn't dye well at all unless it's the stuff made from wool (and even that's a maybe.) And, depending on what KIND of fleece you get, it won't dye at all! Polar fleece is actually made out of polyethylene terephthalate, which is a kind of plastic. It won't dye no matter what you do to it.

For those of you looking on info on tea dying, I found this site (http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/teadye.htm) which tells you how much tea you'd need per yard of fabric. It was pretty helpful, actually, so you might want to give it a look if you haven't found a site already.

And back on topic, I'm going to start on Arakune really soon. I'll post progress pictures up here as I go along! =D

Kitsoru
09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
And back on topic, I'm going to start on Arakune really soon. I'll post progress pictures up here as I go along! =D

Aaaa yay! I can't wait to see your Arakune progress, your plans on the Otakon thread sounded really cool *3*

Dango!
09-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Ah, alright. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern. :3

@Kitsoru&lynnafred: D8 Actually, I'm not sure what kind of fleece I bought... I'm sure it's poly since it was from a craft store and probably no more than 6 dollars a yard. They're not exactly full of "100% authentic" stuff, tbh. Ah well. I'll check out that site. Thanks lynnafred! :3 I'm sure it'll help.

@Lining business: What happens if you don't line a coat? ._. In Hawaii, it's very hot. Especially this year. So I thought maybe no lining would be alright [and so much cooler] but will something bad happen if I don't line it? Such as, more tears or holes form more easily?

R1KKu
09-08-2009, 08:55 AM
@Lining business: What happens if you don't line a coat? ._. In Hawaii, it's very hot. Especially this year. So I thought maybe no lining would be alright [and so much cooler] but will something bad happen if I don't line it? Such as, more tears or holes form more easily?

I dont think you need to line it if its fleece, but its your choice. The lining can actually help to keep you cool though....I wore a lined pleather coat with a shirt underneath in 80* weather.. it wasn't too bad.

shadownet752
09-08-2009, 11:38 AM
PAX has come and gone and it was so much fun, you have no idea. Running around with a giant nail, PRICELESS!!

Got some pics up here: BANG BANG BANG BANG (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/252117/)
(http://www.cosplay.com/costume/252117/)

Kitsoru
09-08-2009, 03:52 PM
PAX has come and gone and it was so much fun, you have no idea. Running around with a giant nail, PRICELESS!!

Got some pics up here: BANG BANG BANG BANG (http://www.cosplay.com/costume/252117/)

Your Bang is AMAZING! Awesome job, and beautiful pics! :toothy:

coolmmxz
09-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I love that Bang BANG BAN BANG!!

confusedxphreak
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM

This is EPICALLY AWESOME! Props to another great oufit. I only wish I could've seen you running around with the nail in person. Haha. Must've been fun. :D

R1KKu
09-09-2009, 11:38 AM

That nail is awesome!! If only I had a hammer big enough.....

Hey! So I did some more work on my Taokaka.... I started on the paw pads today. Its going to involve alot of zig-zag stitching...but I have to take care of it before I can put the rest of the costume together.... o.O

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2247445/

Radiant Nightmare
09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey! So I did some more work on my Taokaka.... I started on the paw pads today. Its going to involve alot of zig-zag stitching...but I have to take care of it before I can put the rest of the costume together.... o.O

That's really good. Can't to see more progress.

I really want to start on mine now. I've only cut out the patterns that I'll need.

Dango!
09-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Hah! That's so awesome. I love the whole costume, but the nail especially. Epic giant weapon is epic.

That nail is awesome!! If only I had a hammer big enough.....

Oh my! Those look very nice. What kind of fabric did you use for those? I swore they looked like thin craftfoam at first, but then you said fabric and now I'm curious. xD

Devkyu
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm about to get started on Nirvana (sneaking her in as a school project for my one class) and going to pick up the pink insulation foam for her soon. Problem is her torso is so thick, I'll have to try and glue layers of it together.

Unfortunately, I've read that particular foam likes to disintegrate a lot, so I have to hope I find something called foam tape, or use newspapers and a lot of school glue on it. Hope my teachers won't mind the massive mess I'll be making of the wood shop this week...

shadownet752
09-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm about to get started on Nirvana (sneaking her in as a school project for my one class) and going to pick up the pink insulation foam for her soon. Problem is her torso is so thick, I'll have to try and glue layers of it together.

Unfortunately, I've read that particular foam likes to disintegrate a lot, so I have to hope I find something called foam tape, or use newspapers and a lot of school glue on it. Hope my teachers won't mind the massive mess I'll be making of the wood shop this week...

believe it or not, my giant nail for bang is made of foam at the top and bottom, then sanded and spackled over. But i stuck the foam together in layers using hot glue. JUST MAKE SURE ITS A LOW TEMP HOT GLUE!!!! That, or you can use certain Caulk that doesnt eat away at foam, it does exist, just ask a local hardware store!!

Good luck!!

AND THANKS EVERYONE!! im glad you like my nail so much XD

Kitsoru
09-09-2009, 06:06 PM

That looks so clean and pretty! Nice!

LOL I sneak cosplay in for school as much as I can, too :toothy:

I know the Guide to Pink Insulation foam (http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=95725) lists things that can be used that won't melt foam, so you should have a look-see to figure out what to use.

Radiant Nightmare
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I wish I was cosplaying back when I was in school. I could have taken advantage of using their stuff. lol