PDA

View Full Version : Planning Picnic

Dorkzilla
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Oki guys Im thinking about planning a cosplay picnic ^3^ I want it to be this year but Idk yet. It'll be sometime after AMA tho[if its this year]

I'll post an official thread later on, right now this is so I get ideas from everyone and such.

I've never been to a cosplay picnic so I'd love it if everyone posted their ideas or advise.

thanks ^3^

~Larxene~
03-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Lol XD you post on here more than i do >.<
But cosplay picnics are big fun =D Itsa good idea

Nekko
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
sounds like fun! Hope it's not too far away from me.

~Larxene~
03-13-2009, 01:30 AM
sounds like fun! Hope it's not too far away from me.
Where are you? lol

Nekko
03-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Where are you? lol

Im in Sandston VA, Thats where Richmond Airport is.

~Larxene~
03-13-2009, 03:10 AM
Im in Sandston VA, Thats where Richmond Airport is.
your not toooooooo far away XD lol.Your prolly an hour away from me.I live in Concord,VA and Dorkzilla lives in Rockingham County

NecromanticChii
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Cosplay picnics are fun. ^_~

Dorkzilla
03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
LOL yeah, I wanted to put it where it'd be a decent place not too far from every that planing on going and is easy to find

~Larxene~
03-13-2009, 03:52 PM
LOL yeah, I wanted to put it where it'd be a decent place not too far from every that planing on going and is easy to find
I wanna help you plan it...if you want.XD lol.So we should meet before then or sumfin. >.<

Dorkzilla
03-13-2009, 04:23 PM
I wanna help you plan it...if you want.XD lol.So we should meet before then or sumfin. >.<

lol, Its def. after AMA so if we should be able to see each by then lol ^3^ if you get on aim at some point then you should aim me.

Dorkzilla
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
-Grand Caverns[Grottoes, VA] - www.grandcaverns.com
Since most dont know where Grottoes is, It's a small town[And I MEAN small] in Rockingham County

-Byrd Park [Richmound, VA] - http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/applications/parksearch/ParkDetail.asp?park_ID=10

I'll add more later as I find more, anyone can post a park they think would be good, limit is 10. Once I get 10 Everyone who wishes to go can vote for which they want. Some places may require money[idk im just guessing] if so then I'll make sure its a cheap/reasonable price, everyone has to chip.

NecromanticChii
03-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Well where are most people coming from? Richmond, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, VAB, Hampton, ect...

Dorkzilla
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Well where are most people coming from? Richmond, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, VAB, Hampton, ect...

Well b/c I dont have my own car I'm limited to where I can go.
I live in Grottoes, normally I say Rockingham County cus most ppl NEVER heard of Grottoes.
Larxene lives in Concord
Nekko lives in Sandston, if they decide to go of course.

I'm def not going to pick a place on the coast cus I used to live in Norfolk and my parents wont allow me to go back even just to visit my friends ;.;

NecromanticChii
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
lol. That's cool. I might be out, depending on how far of a drive it will be for my friends and I. ^_~ (We all live in VAB.)

Dorkzilla
03-14-2009, 05:32 PM
It'd suck if u cant go, what r some places ur willing to drive to[if ppl posted this info it might help me in deciding a place lol]

NecromanticChii
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
I am willing to drive just about anywhere..lol
(Money for gas is different though...lmao)

Sadly, cosplaying, lolita outfits, and BJD's suck my money away... T_T

Dorkzilla
03-15-2009, 04:21 PM
That sucks ;.; I have no money. . .luckily gas is getting cheaper it used to be like $3 now its less than $1.90 suckily I live in the country and places r farther away[much, much more than when I lived in Norfolk] so gas causes us to be poor ;.; happily $3 anime dvds make me happy ^3^ crapily there are no fabrics stores in Rocking County and Walmart doesnt have the blue I need for Bridget so I have to wait a week so I can go to Jo Anns in Charlottesvile ;.; i have no idea where im going with this but the basic idea is ok idk that either T3T

Nekko
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I would love to go but I would like to throw another place in the pool. Maymont park. A group of us all went there like two years ago for photoshoots.

Dorkzilla
03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
pool? sweet, do u have pics of it, Nekko?

Nekko
03-17-2009, 04:16 PM
It's not a real pool.. A pool is a grouping. Like in poker? You throw your chips in the pool?

http://www.maymont.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=217&srcid=-2

Going to the grounds and gardens are free but the prices for like tours and carriage rides are pretty cheap

HOURS OF OPERATION

Please note that Maymont's grounds have different hours than its indoor exhibits. You may visit Maymont's outdoor spaces daily, but please see below for various exhibit hours.

Visitor Center, Grounds, Wildlife Exhibits and Gardens
Daily, 10am - 5pm
Hampton Street and Spottswood Road entrances remain open until 7pm from April - October, weather permitting.

Exhibits & Services
Indoor exhibits are closed on Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Exhibits are open on some Monday holidays; call for information.

Maymont Mansion
Tuesday - Sunday, 12 - 5pm
Guided tours on the hour and half-hour; last tour begins at 4:30pm.
$5 per person suggested donation
Go to the basement for a self-guided tour of the belowstairs exhibit and to sign up for a guided tour of the upper floors. Reservations are required for groups of 10 or more (see Group Tours page)

Nature Center Exhibits
Self-guided
$4 per person suggested donation
Open to Maymont members every day from 10am-5pm.
Reservations are required for groups of 6 or more (see Group Tours page)

Children's Farm Barn
Self-guided
$2 per person suggested donation

Carriage Collection
On exhibit at the Carriage House

Maymont Shop
Tuesday - Saturday, 10am - 5pm; Sunday, 12 - 5pm
through April 11
Located in the Visitor Center

Maymont Café
Tuesday - Sunday, 11am - 3pm
Weather permitting
Located in the Visitor Center
Operated by Boss-Chi Catering, LLC

Carriage Rides
Call ext. 340 for dates and times
Weather permitting
10-minute ride: $3 adults; $2 for children.
Private tours by appointment year-round

Tram Rides
Tuesday - Sunday, 12 - 5pm, April - October
Saturday - Sunday, 12 - 5pm, November - March
Weather permitting.
$3 adults; $2 children; Members free
The tram makes a continuous loop with stops approximately every 20 minutes at the Children's Farm, Nature & Visitor Center, Japanese Garden, Maymont Mansion and the Hampton Street entrance. Private rides available by reservation.
Please Note: During times of low visitation, especially during cold weather, there may be a required minimum of six passengers for the tram to remain in operation. Call in advance to confirm tram availability on the day of your visit.

Hay Wagon Rides
June-August, Saturday-Sunday, 1-4pm
Weather permitting
$3 adults; $2 children
Offered at the Children's Farm

Maymont Foundation Offices
Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
Located in the Carriage House

Sabarae
03-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Whaaa~! Maymont sounds like a blast! I would totally have to make a dress/cosplay for the occasion! ^.^ Since this would be after AMA, and if it's still in the summer, it would be pretty close to my b-day. Since I'm turning 21, I'll be making a fancy birthday outfit/cosplay so this may give me another reason to wear it ^^ Whatever it is that I make... haven't decided XP

Dorkzilla
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
It sounds fun looks like thats where its gonna be! ^3^ hey Sabarae, whens ur b-day? I'll get a cake it'll be a b-day party and gathering-thing lols!

Nekko
03-17-2009, 05:58 PM
WHOOO! And what kind of picnic is this gonna be? I can bring the sodas or I can crack down and attempt ohagi.

And Im thinkin that unless it's actually her Bday we can just make it a Funny hat UN-Birthday party?

Dorkzilla
03-17-2009, 06:03 PM
lol idk about food yet I'm gonna make a list of item that should be brought ^3^ then ppl can pick what they wish to bring

Dorkzilla
03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Bavrages:[idk how to spell]
1. Soda - a variety of different cans are preffered 2 liters bottles can also be brought.
---Depending on how many will be there atleast ppl should bring soda. or even better if at all possible everyone should bring ONE 2 liter bottle.
2. Teas - Homemade tea can be brought

Snacks and Candies:
1. Pocky - Why would there NOT be pocky, pocky is good so lots should be brought
2. Chips
3. Chocolates

Dessert:
1. Cake - Ice cream cake may not be a good idea, for it may melt ;3;
2. Brownies
3. Cupcakes

Oher things:
If I may have not listed something you are dying to bring just say so and your wish is granted!

I have decided to have contests and I wish to make this as annual as I can. The more you contribute the more likely you'll win a prize for next years gatherign thingy[YES it will be done next year too!]

Sabarae
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, my b-day is July 25, which is JUST after Otakon, but it is on a Saturday. Though, I kinda don't want a b-day party... I'm just not that kind of person. However, just going to a regular cosplay gathering event is fine. I dunno, not much for the attention or something. ^^()

Well, is this going to be a regular gathering of people, or is cosplaying encouraged? And if it is, will it be themed?

Dorkzilla
03-18-2009, 07:08 AM
I was told Lolita themed was an idea, but idk. It most def will be cosplay encouraged, but not required ^^

Sabarae
03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Lolita is a little... specific, I think... How about just Harajuku? That way people have a choice between all the different subcultures of Japanese fashion: egl/ega/lolita, visual kei, ganguro, cosplay, decora/kawaii, traditional, etc. That way people can go all out and have fun creating something uniquely them. Just an idea.

Dorkzilla
03-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Thats a really good idea, I never planned a gathering before so idk wat I'm doing for the most part ^^;;

Sabarae
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I'm planning my first gatherings for AMA this year. Seems it's a learn as you go process. ^^()

Let's see if we can organize things a little easier. First we need to get the base stuff settled:

1: Where is it? -I'm under the impression that the idea for Maymont was accepted, yes?
2: When is it? - My b-day is fine, but keep in mind that it IS in the summer and we'll probably be outside a lot. If anyone else has ideas, please say so!
3: What time is it? Maymont is mostly open from 10am-5pm. Are these going to be our hours?

Once that is settled, we can work of the gathering inner details:
1:Theme? - I offered Harajuku, but it would be great to hear other ideas. *In fact, I was thinking of combining Nekko's UNb-day idea with my Harajuku. Kinda like a Mad Harajuku Tea Party.
2: Picnic/Party parts. -We should plan for people to bring stuff to prepare the picnic (ie. plates, hand cleaners and such), foods and drinks, and things to clean our mess up with when we're finished. Perhaps some would be brave enough to try to make a Japanese dish? I'll probably bring onigiri/musubi/riceballs. Also, if anyone has food allergies: PLEASE SAY SO! ^^()
3: Activites? -Are we just going to hang out and take fun pictures? Or take advantage of some of the cool exhibits and such that Maymont has to offer? Or perhaps a series of games? Or all the above? XP

After that, it's just polishing, I think. Also, once a theme is fully established, I figure people can ask for help and whatnot here.

-Hope this helps! If so, then let's settle the first part. ^^

Edit: Wait... Maymont.... *checks pictures* I've been there!!! I went there during a Japanese Language academy program! Had a blast too! Well... after we were finished or cleaning-park duties ^^()

NecromanticChii
03-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Harajuku fashion sounds cool. Heck it even includes those who want to cosplay, or dress in different styles. XD

Dorkzilla
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Yes, its at Maymont. I'll need to fix the hours if Maymont is only open between 10-5, I'm thinking about it being on July 4, u kno fireworks and sparklers was my plan but apparently we cant have fireworks at Maymont ^^;

Sabarae
03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Perhaps have it at two places? Start with Maymont, then relocate to a place with fireworks that is close by?

Though it might be difficult for people working in retail or food to attend since July 4 is one of the busy holidays. They might not be able to get the day off, especially if other people at their jobs want that day off.

Nekko
03-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I already told my boss I wanted the day off.

Dorkzilla
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
yay Nekko, good job <333

Nekko
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Lets see if he remembers, I swear if he does what he did last AMA weekend im not showing up.

NecromanticChii
03-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Sorry I'm out of anything from July 3rd-12th. I'll be up in Ohio, visiting family and friends. ^_~
(Booked my flight a couple weeks ago.)

Dorkzilla
03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
that suck maybe next[yes, as I said b4 I'm trying to make sure this will an annual thing]

Sabarae
03-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, there's always August... Or sometime in autumn. That way it won't be so hot and the leaves and such will be pretty.

Dorkzilla
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah, August. Its not good for me b/c School starts last week of August, so all August I have to do school shopping and Idk when I'll ever have free time x[

Nekko
03-21-2009, 03:01 PM
July 15th? Besides the fact it's after my pay day...

MissKrissy
03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
If it's ok, I'd like to come as well.

NecromanticChii
03-22-2009, 01:13 AM
July 15th? Besides the fact it's after my pay day...

Otakon is that weekend. ^_~

Dorkzilla
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
If it's ok, I'd like to come as well.

The more the marrier ^3^

So anyway July 15, thats 2 days b4 Otakon?. . .*checks calender* So the 15th is on Weds. That could be cool, maybe we could stay the night at a hotel*all chipping in of course* and go to Otakon[well for those who are going to Otakon] it could evolve into a cosplay sleep over AND if you are so kind I could get that ride to Otakon I've been hunting for ^3^

What do you guys think? ^^;;

Sabarae
03-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I doubt I'll be able to stay the night. If I'm still unemployed, then maybe, but if I do have a job, I'll probably be going to the picnic on my day off and will probably have to work the next day. Either way, Otakon is not on my list of things since I can't afford it no matter if I have a job or not. Baltimore + Convention +Hotel= Debt even if I room with people.

Dorkzilla
03-23-2009, 06:56 AM
that sucks, im sharing a room, I only got to pay $100 but I gotta be there on Thursday

aurii-chan
06-05-2010, 05:24 AM
where is this happening what country? >.<

stafffighter
06-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Is there a date yet? A location? I am confused.

Shuichi_Huggler
06-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Wait this is way old. xD

Stormraven24
06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Damn, I'd like to go to this. Did anything ever happen with it, or what? :/

simpbass
06-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I just discovered it as well. Hope there's a 2010 one as well.=)