PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you should have to lose weight to cosplay?

Vasooki
03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah. People are so worried with getting in shape to cosplay, but some people (namely me) have an awful metabolism, and would probably have to go anorexic to get a normal weight. I was considering going as Mew Ichigo, but I thought I shouldn't since I'm probably 2 times her size.

200lbs isnt exactly L's size either, but the baggly clothes, and hunched look hide it. And plus, he has a rounded face anyway.

What I'm getting at though is if you are making your own costume, why worry so much about it. If you act the part, you look the part. Thats what my drama teacher always says. Acting first, costumes second.

Oh, and for the record, I'm on the swim team. :)

Inufan078
03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Well really I suppose it depends on you if you wish to want to loose that weight or not. I'm going to try my best to shed some weight off, even though I have been. I'm with you in the metabolism boat I think I may have an awful one too, (though it might be just lack of exercise) I have no idea. When I started exercising LOTS than I was GAINING weight, which really phases me, maybe it's muscle? I have no idea... but yeah up to the person!

AdoraB
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
I think it just depends on the character... Which is a pretty bland answer.

If I ever lose weight for a cosplay it isn't so much for the aesthetic sense as it is being truthful to the character's lifestyle; if you are cosplaying a martial artist, wouldn't it make sense to take some classes and get into the character? Or, if you're into Slam Dunk, maybe you already like basketball-- that person would already have the "athletic-look" to help pull off the costume... Or a fencer wanting to cosplay as Utena.

On a health level, many otaku's diets are not healthy to say the least. There are many reasons why obesity is such a problem in this particular subculture. Very delicious reasons at that (OMG salmon sashimi and japanese style crepes ;o;!!)

Even so, there are lots of costumes that can be pulled off well without losing horrid amounts of weight. So no, it isn't necessary, but for certain characters it would be depending on the person.

alliebeth
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I think that people should exercise discretion, and take it on a costume-to-costume basis. Please don't run around in booty shorts and a belly top if you weigh 300 lbs. It just will end up with people saying mean things, and you will NOT fit the character at all. That being said, I don't care for the 90lb girls running around in that either but...yah.

If you think that your size is going to get more attention than the costume, I say don't do it! Pick something that suits you better, or edit the one you want to play as. Example: I wanted to costume FF7:AC Tifa. I weigh 150 lbs, so I made the white tank top longer to cover my "belly pooch" so I wouldn't feel exposed. Another example...I really love Yuna from FFX. So, I'm cosplaying the summoner outfit, because I get to wear an obi to cover my "pooch" (I'm really self-conscious about that thing ><). If I end up losing weight, I will do the gunner costume (with the boot shorts and major cleavage), but until then, I just won't feel comfortable in it, so I won't go there.

tl:dr: Don't do it if your a) going to get looks...in a bad way. b) not going to feel comfortable c) not fitting the character at ALL (aka...women with DDD boobs probably shouldn't cosplay a pre-teen girl.)

PenutButtaJelly
03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
No. You shouldn't have to lose weight to cosplay.

BUT , (This coming from a kid who's overweight by like , 30 pounds?) If your over weight trying to lose weight would be a good thing to do , For everything beyond cosplay.

Kitylin
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I think that you should cosplay in a body that you're comfortable with. No one should be forced or should have to lose weight to cosplay. Of course, people on the heavier side who cosplay people with more...skimpy outfits will probably be picked on and made fun of. Which isn't nice or fair, but it happens.

pooker
03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
No, just do whatever makes you happy.

MajinCrystalia
03-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't cosplay a shirtless character until I loose this sleight gut and get mah abs.

nikkiolie
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
I think that people should exercise discretion, and take it on a costume-to-costume basis. Please don't run around in booty shorts and a belly top if you weigh 300 lbs. It just will end up with people saying mean things, and you will NOT fit the character at all. That being said, I don't care for the 90lb girls running around in that either but...yah.

If you think that your size is going to get more attention than the costume, I say don't do it! Pick something that suits you better, or edit the one you want to play as. Example: I wanted to costume FF7:AC Tifa. I weigh 150 lbs, so I made the white tank top longer to cover my "belly pooch" so I wouldn't feel exposed. Another example...I really love Yuna from FFX. So, I'm cosplaying the summoner outfit, because I get to wear an obi to cover my "pooch" (I'm really self-conscious about that thing ><). If I end up losing weight, I will do the gunner costume (with the boot shorts and major cleavage), but until then, I just won't feel comfortable in it, so I won't go there.

tl:dr: Don't do it if your a) going to get looks...in a bad way. b) not going to feel comfortable c) not fitting the character at ALL (aka...women with DDD boobs probably shouldn't cosplay a pre-teen girl.)

I agree with this. If you are overweight I would advise against wearing anything that exposes your stomach or much of your legs. I'm right about normal weight but I still feel really conscious wearing my Albel costume (look at avatar for reference). Any costume can look right if it is made for you despite how much you weigh.

Although for some costumes there is some things that you need to take into consideration. For example I have played soccer for about 15 years so I got some beefy thighs, Albel is perfect for that. He has big thighs and little arms so that worked out perfectly. My next big costume that I am working on is Cloud Strife. In Advent Children Cloud has some meaty arms so that is something I need to work on. I have some time before the next con so I plan on having my arms quite tone for that (also seeing how I will have to lit that sword for pictures >_>). If a character has noticeable characteristics such as strong arms then you should work on getting yourself to look similar but not the exact same. I will never have arms as big as Clouds but if I flex now you can see muscle and when I am done they will look quite similar to his.

So my opinion is that just because you are overweight doesn't mean you have to diet to cosplay, though for your own sake (there are very mean people out there) I would advise against wearing anything too exposing.

Cora
03-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I think it just depends on the character... Which is a pretty bland answer.

If I ever lose weight for a cosplay it isn't so much for the aesthetic sense as it is being truthful to the character's lifestyle; if you are cosplaying a martial artist, wouldn't it make sense to take some classes and get into the character? Or, if you're into Slam Dunk, maybe you already like basketball-- that person would already have the "athletic-look" to help pull off the costume... Or a fencer wanting to cosplay as Utena.

I don't think you should have to tweak your physique to every character. That's...a lot of time and energy. If you want to do it, good for you, but. If I've got the skills for it already, awesome, but I'm not going to bone up on my BBall game (of which I have none) or take classes just for cosplay. Helpful if it works out that you've got those skills, but a little unnecessary to teach yourself 500 new things just to have the right "look." Eh. That's me.

On a health level, many otaku's diets are not healthy to say the least. There are many reasons why obesity is such a problem in this particular subculture. Very delicious reasons at that (OMG salmon sashimi and japanese style crepes ;o;!!)

LOL. Salmon sasshimi and crepes are tons healthier than noming on pocky and twinkies. Japanese food (even junk food) is way less junkier than the typical American cuisine. If you're looking to eat healthier, try cutting out pop/soda, sugary gum and candy, and things with High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Cheshare
03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
ah this is a touchy subject, I deal with overweight in my familey as my mother is overwight and dipping into obease, and hse really doesnt like feelin that way.

I gotta say if you want to lose wieght do it, but I wouldnt feel like you cant cosplay because of it, that is a horrible mistake to make. You can cosplay perfectly well and dont be told otherwise! But do take caution, if you feel that this outfit is to risky for you dont wear it,

by the way, for metabolisum speed up eat breakfast everymorning and have a lighter dinner and lunch, it helps a lot. : ) And lots of fiber! Also odly enough, good posture helps as well. Walk with your shoulders back and you it can help you.

Wataru
03-15-2009, 05:36 PM
I think you should cosplay characters that you DO have the body for. If you're a bigger person (200+ lbs.), try cosplaying bigger characters. Problem with that is that there aren't many, unless you feel like crossplaying.

The reality is, the media portrays almost all women as skinny. You can either decide to succumb to the media's bias (which you pretty much have to do by cosplaying, I mean...you ARE imitating a media character), or you can give a **** the system attitude and be looked at strangely by those who are more common-minded.

Cosplay isn't a great medium for weight-conscious people, because most anime/manga characters (especially females) are very skinny. The point of cosplaying is to imitate a character, which, if you think about it, is kind of unhealthy, trying to be someone you're not. This may seem a cruel opinion, but not taking emotions into account, I'd say that if you don't have the body (or one similar), don't do it, because the point of cosplaying (imitation) is now gone.

But my other side would say to do what makes you happy. If you enjoy cosplaying and being someone different for a weekend, even if they don't look like you or have your body type, then go for it! Choose your poison.

PurpleDuckie
03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Most people encourage larhger cosplayers to go with outfits fitting their body type (if you won't wear a bikini to the beack, you probably shouldn't wear a yoko cosplay to a con.) But that is for both their comfort and the congoer's

There are ways to make costumes a little more flattering if you aren't the "idea" character weight, skirts don't have to be ash short as the characters for example. Make the clothes fit you and your bodytype and it will look good :3

as for cosplaying ichigo, go for it! Cosplay is about dressing as a character that you want to dress as, as long as you are comfortable then go for it :3 If you feel like weight is a problem then work on dropping a couple pounds or just alter the costume to fit your body size.

Tiltedmoons
03-15-2009, 06:43 PM
While I'm not against larger people cosplaying by any means, I do believe they should at least try to find costumes that fit their physiques. Larger people can actually fit the roles of some costumes that thinner people cannot (ex//Tsunade). However, losing weight should be a personal choice. Now, regardless of your exact weight, if you are unfit and this leads to actual health problems. Then yeah, you should lose weight. Although, I feel it's more about getting into shape than anything else. But this is coming from an underweight azn person. Who am I to judge? xD

zomgmissy
03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Don't lose weight just for cosplay, lose weight for yourself and your health.

Sure, cosplay can be a good motivation for you, but if you stop cosplaying, are you gonna just let yourself gain the weight back because you don't need to be skinny anymore?

Being overweight isn't healthy and can often undermine a person's self-confidence. Think about that part before you think about cosplay, as cosplay has a good chance of not lasting your entire life.

Obviously, though, it takes a long time to shed pounds in a way so that they will stay off. In the meantime, I would alter the designs of the cosplays you choose (and you can choose any cosplay you want as long as you're comfortable in it and feel it is appropriate) so that they work better for your body. Like, if you have large thighs that you don't want to bare in your Mew Ichigo cosplay, lengthen her skirt so that it's more comfortable and flattering for you.

benihime
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
agreed with zomgmissy, lose weight for yourself and your health. nothing else should matter

dark Hope
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
two words "sailor bubba" enuf said.

AdoraB
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm saying that if you are into a cosplay for things you have in common ALREADY then thats great, go do that. Not take up things you don't find interesting at all to have something in common.

mokulen22
03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
All that matters is how comfortable you are with yourself. No one can tell you you "can't cosplay" for any given reason so the question in the title of this thread can't be answered.

kiwikaiwii
03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
This is going to sound really... basic, but I think that you should lose weight to lose weight, and become more confidant about your body and become healthier... But please don't loose 100 lbs. just to dress up as a character who's incredibly skinny. Why should weight matter? It's the personality and costume, right???

Funderful
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Everyone pretty much gave the answer. It's touchy, but-
I think everyone should be able to cosplay. There are no weight restrictions.
You should do whatever you feel comfortable with, but if you lose weight,
make it for yourself.

However, for authentic cosplays,
I think it's probably best to shoot for something more someone's size.
For example, even though I'm relatively slim, I would never go for someone
like Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist- regardless of weight, there are lots of different body types too.

Do what you're confident and happy with, this hobby is about having fun!
And I think in the end a good costume and a great personality counts much more then anything else, I'll take a slightly larger cosplayer with a lovingly crafted costume and a great smile on there face over a snippy little last minute one who won't give you the time of day, anyway.

nikkiolie
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
This is going to sound really... basic, but I think that you should lose weight to lose weight, and become more confidant about your body and become healthier... But please don't loose 100 lbs. just to dress up as a character who's incredibly skinny. Why should weight matter? It's the personality and costume, right???

Another point to go on to this. If you are quite heavy and you lose a lot of weight you ARE going to have lots of skin. So if you are thinking of losing weight so you can wear a skimpy outfit keep that in mind. There will be some loose skin, even if you just lose 50 pounds.

tsuoi_kaze
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Cosplay can be a good motivator for weight loss, but I don't believe that a perfect body should be a requirement for the hobby. I'm one of those people who has a REALLY hard time getting rid of flab on my own, but I'm not large enough for diet pills and surgery and such (I call this the SOL weight range). I'm not about to kill myself in order to cosplay as some of the characters that I would love to, but would need to rid myself of about 30lbs first.

Mangochutney
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
There's a very important point being overlooked here, and that's that the person in the costume is the only one who gets to decide what that costume is and what it covers.

Decency and safety rules need to be obeyed. Other than that, there IS no 'should'.

Krieg
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm using cosplay as an additional reason to lose weight. I figure that the more reasons I have for it, the more willing I'd be to go through with it. I'm currently equivalent to about 1.4x people in weight, based on the healthy weight for my height and build. I'd like to lower that number to 1.1x before 2010 conventions.

Must everyone do the same? Hell no. Put as much effort into cosplay as you're willing to go, not what others expect you to do. The whole point is to have fun, not please others. If you have fun by pleasing others... just go only as far as you're comfortable going; going beyond that is ironically counter-productive as discomfort is contagious (aka the more uncomfortable you are, the more uncomfortable others around you will become).

onewingedjade
03-16-2009, 12:48 AM
No.

But I could see how some people would, if they like to get every single aspect accurate in a character. If we tape our boobs, we'll lose a few pounds for cosplay.

Ashton_Anchors
03-16-2009, 04:23 AM
I don't think that it's necessary to lose weight JUST for cosplay- and it would be unfair and unrealistic of anyone to expect anyone to do otherwise. :(. If you want to lose weight for yourself, though, go for it. :). As someone else already said, cosplay is really good way to motivate yourself into losing weight- if that's what you'd like to do. No one should make you lose weight JUST to be 'accurate'.

I personally have no problem with heavier people cosplaying 'skinny' characters- as long as their costume is flattering, looks good, and isn't skimpy, it's fine with me. :).

As for you cosplaying Ichigo, go for it! :). As someone else said(again), you can always just alter the parts that may make you feel uncomfortable a little bit to make it so that you feel entirely comfortable while wearing the costume.

RaDragon76
03-16-2009, 12:51 PM
In a word: no.

You should lose weight for your health or because you want to not because you think you have to in order to pull of some anime character or other. There are not that many people in the world that are the exact measurements of any animated character Japanese or otherwise anyway so I don't see why it's so important to try and fit yourself into any of those molds myself. There's nothing wrong with a large person wanting to cosplay someone skinny as long as they make the costume to flatter their build and don't do anything skimpy.

Fong
03-20-2009, 03:15 AM
"Bigger" cosplayers should not be told what they can/cant wear.

Regardless of how much they do or don't look like the character--I don't care. I think they should be able to do what they want. It's discrimination otherwise, and to think differently is elitist and immature in my opinion.

There is a "bigger" cosplayer on this site (her username escapes me...but regardless I wouldn't post it) but she rarely ever looks like the person she cosplays...however, everything she does is ornate, well made, and over-all very beautiful. I look up to her as a seamstress, and I admire everything she does--and even if she doesn't look exactly like the character, she always look gorgeous. Her costumes look better than 99 percent of the cosplayers of smaller stature that have chosen to do the same thing.

Would you tell her she cant cosplay the characters of her choice? If so then I think you're ignorant and stupid. Nobody should have to lose any amount of weight. Period.

People should be able to do what they want without harassment/judgment. Regardless of their race, ethinicity, gender, age, or size.

So overall my point is this: NO. A person should NOT have to lose weight to do any cosplay. If he/she would choose to lose weight for the sake of cosplay, more power to them, but I say they're fine just the way they are.

ShinobiXikyu
03-20-2009, 08:23 AM

QFT. I'm about the same; you shouldn't have to be a stick or a muscleman to cosplay, but do exercise some discretion in your choice of outfit if you're larger. Myself, I'm 5'3" and about 140 lbs. (I put weight back on recently, argh), last May for Anime North I was 135 in mostly muscle, and though it took some insane work to slim my stomach down an extra inch to not hang out of my pants more than an unnoticeable bit, I pulled off a midriff-baring Sai cosplay because I was so proud of the toning and weight loss I'd done since January that year. I was at first feeling incredibly shy about showing my NEVER-bared stomach and that I was still a bit fat for pulling off a skimpily-dressed character, but about a hundred people still took my photo and said I was an amazing Sai ^^ (one guy even said I was sexy! X.X).
Also, if you do the costume really well and maybe with some tailoring tricks, a little extra weight usually won't matter; I think that was the main reason why my Sai cosplay got so much attention- the other two there were "perfect" sizes but pretty failtastic.
I've also got a nice insecurity issue with my upper legs that keeps me out of any short skirts or shorts on characters; they've always had a weird build to them, the backs are generally okay but the fronts have always bulged way out like some kind of uneven muscle build, and as a result I look terrible in bathing suits, short shorts, short skirts or tight pants. So until I figure out how to get rid of that, no Yuffie or Akari Kanzaki for me. But wanting to do said cosplays in the future makes a great motivation.

han-pan
03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

If you're healthy and happy, do what you want.

dizzylizzy
03-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Cosplay is a hobby.

This community has gotten so obsessive with looking exactly like the character that it's become ridiculous. Apparently looks matter WAY more that the actual love of the character or design it seems.

Go cosplay, go have fun. If people don't like it, who cares. They don't have to look at you.

On a side note: Lose weight because you WANT to, not for cosplay.

QFMFT:
"Bigger" cosplayers should not be told what they can/cant wear.

Regardless of how much they do or don't look like the character--I don't care. I think they should be able to do what they want. It's discrimination otherwise, and to think differently is elitist and immature in my opinion.

There is a "bigger" cosplayer on this site (her username escapes me...but regardless I wouldn't post it) but she rarely ever looks like the person she cosplays...however, everything she does is ornate, well made, and over-all very beautiful. I look up to her as a seamstress, and I admire everything she does--and even if she doesn't look exactly like the character, she always look gorgeous. Her costumes look better than 99 percent of the cosplayers of smaller stature that have chosen to do the same thing.

Would you tell her she cant cosplay the characters of her choice? If so then I think you're ignorant and stupid. Nobody should have to lose any amount of weight. Period.

People should be able to do what they want without harassment/judgment. Regardless of their race, ethinicity, gender, age, or size.

So overall my point is this: NO. A person should NOT have to lose weight to do any cosplay. If he/she would choose to lose weight for the sake of cosplay, more power to them, but I say they're fine just the way they are.

scortor
03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
It's up to the person whether or not they want to lose weight and weight should be lost for the sake of becoming healthier, not just for cosplaying.

Personally though, I've always been a big girl (5'3 and 215lbs), so I tend to pick cosplays that hid the weight well. I decided to start eating healthier and exercising a bit more this past summer and I'm down to 150lbs ^^; I lost the weight to be healthier, but it doesn't hurt that I've got a boost of confidence in the cosplay department too. Perhaps I'll try a cosplay this year that I never would have even considered last year.

bondkira
03-20-2009, 01:21 PM
It's pretty much said here already, but I still would like to say NO.

I mean, yea it would be nice if you go accordingly to character, but anime and game characters are like... super duper model bodies and not many people have that kind of body. With media right now ppl think they HAVE to lose weight, but as long as u are happy and comfy, then I would say go for it.
If u still wanna do bit skin revealing character, then try to come up with creative way to hide certain body parts.
For instance, for my Grimmjow costume, I wore beige tanktop to hide my belly, but it worked out perfectly because Grimmjow got tatto on his back and it was a perfect way to have a tattoo on my back by just drawing it on my tanktop instead of drawing on my skin every single time I cosplay.

I mean, cosplay could be a motivation to make u fit, but hobby is hobby, it should not take over ur life style completely. I heard couple ppl actually got taken in to hospital with eating disorders bc of cosplay... too much is too much.

Also, ppl are very critical (some r, not all), so even if u do have a "fit" body and decide to cosplay as very revealing costume, some still say "OMG, that girl is cosplaying as HER?! Wow what an attention whore slut!". In either way, just do what u REALLY wanna do, not for the sake for the others. If anyone says anything at u for not being "fit", then just simply ignore them and let them act like jerks.

Eilonwy
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
You shouldn't have to lose weight to cosplay. You can cosplay a character if the costume is made correctly and if you are playing the part.

The characters are weirdly disproportionate anyway, if you think about it. No living human is the exact right body shape for most anime cosplays in the first place.

That made more sense in my head than it did when I typed it out.... hope it's understandable.

Eikoseisui
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I think cosplay can be a motivation for wanting to lose weight, but you don't HAVE to or be forced to lose weight just for the sake of cosplay. If you are healthy and happy with your body, then don't worry about what others think and do what you want. If you want to lose weight, do it for yourself and not because someone told you you don't have the right body to cosplay a certain character.

_Peppermint_
03-20-2009, 03:54 PM
You don't HAVE to, but if you want to, I would encourage you to! ^_^
There's no reason why overweight people shouldn't cosplay, if someone judges a cosplay on teh size of that person, then that's really just being harsh. Cosplay is about showing the world that you love a character so much that you'll put effort into making and wearing their outfit! n_n

Moonsong
03-20-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree with what was said earlier - if you want to lose weight, do it for your health and happiness, not just cosplay, and certainly not to please anyone else.

Cosplay is indeed a hobby, and the fact that some people take it so seriously is just ridiculous and a serious turnoff to newbies and experienced cosplayers alike. So, no, I don't think you should have to be someone else's image of perfection to cosplay, but I do think you should choose a costume that will look good on you. I have a little bit of extra meat on me myself, so I try to wear costumes that will not accentuate the fact that I'm not at an average weight.

If you are having fun doing what you love, don't let anyone else stop you. If they're going to judge you by your size alone, that says more about them than it does about you.

Axelai
03-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, it really depends. >< I know its a hobby and therefore, you shouldn't have to lose weight.

But in my own opinion, i think the people who are about thirty sizes over the limit for a character should maybe back off on the pocky, and resist the urge to cosplay a tiny outfit. I mean, if you have a serious problem, it's fine. It's not like i'm going to go up to anyone and call them fat. I just enjoy seeing cosplays of people within the same weight group as the character. =)

That's just in an exaggerated way. I mean, if you're a bit chubby cosplaying someone like Alucard, i don't mind. I just mind the overly obese people who live off of Burgers to cosplay someone in a tiny bikini. THAT just... irks me.

But yeah, if you're chubby, or even reaaaaally fat (not to sound mean ><) i don't mind. Just don't cosplay anything that shows a big amount of skin.

This is just my opinion, though. Sorry if it offends anyone. ><

Gypsy Soul
03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
No, you should not lose weight to Cosplay. I'm a bit on the chunky side, though not huge, and I always take a wee bit of artistic license when doing a particular character - my Franky costume, for example....I am not a size 2 - Angelina Jolie is....so I put the jacket a couple of inches shorter and slightly more tapered at the waist and ditched the belt she wore. No, the costume wasn't EXACTLY like hers, but it fit my body well and I got plenty of compliments on the accuracy anyway.

-GlacialMai-
03-21-2009, 10:40 PM
You're going to get mean comments. If not to your face, then behind your back. It can be about anything from your wig to your weight. If you think you can handle the criticism for being overweight and cosplaying someone very skinny, go for it. More power to you. If you can't, good luck. >< I mean, I'm pretty darn overweight, so I'm not walking out in a belly shirt and mini skirt. I personally don't wear short sleeves, skirts, shorts, or short shirt outside of my cosplay life because I'm self conscious of what people say often. But, forget them. If they're too rude to not offer constructive criticism and just flat out insult you, they're not worth your time. People WILL say things. Not everyone will be "OMFGILUVJ00". Rude people exist. If you think you can handle it, go ahead. If not, just start out small and work your way up. I personally look at the costume and how it's made, the details, and stuff instead of just dismissing someone because of their weight.

griffin1
04-15-2009, 05:43 AM
In order to be healthy, one should shed excess weight. It helps to have a good physique and adds zest in life.

p0rtalman
04-15-2009, 08:20 AM
If you think that your size is going to get more attention than the costume, I say don't do it!
I agree.
For example, I'm cosplaying spike spiegel at an upcoming con, im a larger build than spike (hes pretty damn skinny) but no-one is going to notice that I'm a little more muscular than spike.

Kobalos
04-15-2009, 08:44 AM
People should just be happy with the way they are but yeah I have been to cons and seen larger framed sailor-mooners somehow it didn't work lol. Mind you I have tried to diet and loose weight and I can't seem to shift it, I weigh about 119 pounds which to be fair is not exactly big lol but its more of a self-confidence issue for me. At least the larger framed cosplay's have the confidence to wear short skirts and I never have that confidence as I always judge myself on how I think people will see me :(

Creative Genius
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think you should have to loose weight.
you have to do it for yourself, not because you want other people to accept you and your costume.

personally I'm going to try and look a couple pounds. nothing really major. I just want to tone up my legs and have them look real nice :3
I'm doing this for me though. I'd never really liked how my legs look so I'm going to do something about it. the plus side will be that I will look good in my Yoko cosplay XD

xMandiex
04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
My roommate is obese and her spine is degenerating from the pressure of the weight. Cosplay can be good encouragement to lose weight but moreso than that, your own health should be your concern. People are under the impression that they have to be "anorexic" to lose weight... interestingly, many anorexic people actually ARE obese - your body can't lose the weight because the metabolism slows down when you stop eating. What you need to do is eat every 1-2 hours, small meals (like an apple, or a tiny portion of chicken, etc). That will increase your metabolism.

I am going to be 100% honest here because I have decided to stop tip-toeing around feelings. If you are extremely heavy, plz2b not wearing costumes that show as much skin as possible. For example, there were two girls at D*con wearing just chainmail bikinis. The idea was cool, but they were heavy... and only getting attention because they were wearing next to nothing, and they thought it was positive attention. Honestly most of the people looking at them were walking away mocking them.

I've found that skinny girls in revealing cosplay can be unattractive as well (such as...Ducttape Bikini Girl) but generally if you are obese, you need to wear what flatters your body type or lose weight. We keep trying to adjust our culture to allow for heavy people... but honestly it is EXTREMELY unhealthy! The stress on your organs and body leads to extremely miserable consequences. I do not believe we should "accept" people for "who they are." Being overweight is not something that should be accepted - there's a reason it's "over" weight...because it's unhealthy. If you have a medical disorder, get it treated, we do have the technology. Information needs to be put out about how to properly lose weight without any of those damn miracle diets.

So there's my honest opinion. I don't think people should lose weight for cosplay, I think they should lose it because being obese is killing their body and this whole push for people to "accept" the heaviness of those around them disturbs me. Accepting means there will be no push for weightloss and healthier lifestyles, and lethargy will set in.

onewingedjade
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree - when weight starts ruining your health, it is time to do something about it, cosplay-related or not.
I think choosing a cosplay appropriate to your body type is very important. Whenever I pick out a cosplay, I always question beforehand if it would complement me or look terrible on me. I always avoid 'stick-like' characters because I do have somewhat of a figure, but I know some people who could pull off those cosplays wonderfully.

Kyte27
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Always remember that if you wanna lose weight, do it for how you feel and look on yourself, not how you look to other people. Now, losing weight for a cosplay is a weak yet strong motivation (its pretty silly to tell someone that you wanna lose weight for a costume XD).

Strong point, however, is that the person gets very motivated because they really like the character and wanna pull it off. Very fantastic! But for now, until the extra is lost, wear cosplays you feel comfortable in. Closed clothing makes you feel safe, especially wearing big cloaks like Organization XIII style!

However, wearing cosplays that shoes more skin than clothing, don't do it. Its not for our sake but for YOUR sake. Anime cons are menat to be fun without worry or insecurity so ya gotta be 100% calm and cool and just live with it. You see alot of people chatting up with just any stranger at any con right? Well, its usually because either VERY nice and approaching or because they know getting into a conversation will have you forget about your insecurity =P I know a few like this

Normally losing weight for a cosplay shouldn't matter because you wanna have a great time! Do it only when you wanna be comfortable with yourself, not for anyone else ^_^

yourheavensalie
04-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Personally I think having to lose weight to be the same size as the character your cosplaying is S-T-U-P-I-D. Lose weight for yourself and if it's negatively affecting your health not because of what some joker thinks. Saying you have to lose weight to cosplay is like saying an african american can't cosplay Yuna. Sorry don't care if you love her and know everything about her or if your a seamstress. Nope, not till you lose some of that pigment.

Reikov
04-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Losing weight just for cosplay? What's the point? Losing weight for your health? That's good. Losing weight just for cosplay and to look like your character is just really stupid O.o I mean sure, your character may look good and right but that doesn't mean you should just crash diet and get sick to look like them. However losing weight for yourself and your health is a big difference, you'll be happy, healthy and you'll feel good... Besides there are many cospalyers out there who are a little chubby but still looks great. So yeah...