PDA

View Full Version : What do you Resident Evil fans think of this skit?

hisshouburaiken
07-29-2003, 11:45 AM
I'm gonna be up early to register this at Otakon:

Resident Evil - Mentos (http://noamattd.tripod.com/flash/mentos.html)

1-4-4
07-29-2003, 12:31 PM
I think Mentos commercial parodies are sort of passe, and I'm not sure how well something like this would work on stage, since people won't be able to see close-ups and such too well. Plus it reminds me too much of this, apart from not being as funny:

http://clanid.gamedaemons.net/

Still, it's better than most of the skits from Otakon last year, it's simple and quick - it has exactly one place to go, it goes there and it's over - in other words, it won't bore people to tears, so if you make them enjoy the 30 seconds, you won't have time to make people change their minds and decide they don't like your skit, and you might have a crowd favorite.

My advice, if you want to do this and really make it work:
1: come up with an easy-to-read pantomime. The crowd has to be practically clubbed over the head with the sequence of events, since it's all coming on in about 30 seconds, there's no dialogue, and probably any sound effects you did stick in would be lost in the music. Your characters need a way to say "crap! I'm out of ammo!" silently, and in such a way that people get it even if they're watching from 200 feet away. Dropping clips on the floor won't do it, people will miss it and not get what's going on. Likewise, any actions the characters make may have to be exaggerated so people can see what's going on. I'm also concerned about relying on the Zombie turning its head - at range people may not be able to tell one side of a zombie from another. You'll have to really push the product placement, too - if it's too subtle it'll get lost. Exaggeration is tacky and out of character, but on the other hand, it fits the Mentos commercial style well enough and it keeps your skit from becoming a cryptic pile of turd.
2: I think you need to work on the underlying gag. I know there's not a lot of time to work with, but I feel like the gag isn't funny. Perhaps having the guy get eaten instead of running away (while the girl ponders and eats a Mentos) might help a bit, perhaps there are other ways you could beef up the set-up, too. The punchline... I'm not sure about it. It's like it's both too Looney Tunes/slapstick, and at the same time not slapstick enough. A bigger bludgeon might improve things, along with a lot of practice on the zombie's part making the fall convincing. I'm not really sure overall how to make the gag better, I feel like it either needs to be more clever, or else give the impression of being more clever and then be a mind-numbingly cheap crowd-pleaser. Simulating the freeze-frame at the end of the commercial might be good for a chuckle, too - perhaps just as the zombie's about to be clobbered.

SpyK
08-17-2003, 09:05 PM
I liked it when I saw it the first time, but the fact is, don't rip shit off. Anyone else who saw that online will be just as PO'd as I am about it. Think of something original.

Guts_Berserk
08-18-2003, 05:28 AM
I think Mentos commercial parodies are sort of passe, and I'm not sure how well something like this would work on stage, since people won't be able to see close-ups and such too well. Plus it reminds me too much of this, apart from not being as funny:

http://clanid.gamedaemons.net/

Still, it's better than most of the skits from Otakon last year, it's simple and quick - it has exactly one place to go, it goes there and it's over - in other words, it won't bore people to tears, so if you make them enjoy the 30 seconds, you won't have time to make people change their minds and decide they don't like your skit, and you might have a crowd favorite.

My advice, if you want to do this and really make it work:
1: come up with an easy-to-read pantomime. The crowd has to be practically clubbed over the head with the sequence of events, since it's all coming on in about 30 seconds, there's no dialogue, and probably any sound effects you did stick in would be lost in the music. Your characters need a way to say "crap! I'm out of ammo!" silently, and in such a way that people get it even if they're watching from 200 feet away. Dropping clips on the floor won't do it, people will miss it and not get what's going on. Likewise, any actions the characters make may have to be exaggerated so people can see what's going on. I'm also concerned about relying on the Zombie turning its head - at range people may not be able to tell one side of a zombie from another. You'll have to really push the product placement, too - if it's too subtle it'll get lost. Exaggeration is tacky and out of character, but on the other hand, it fits the Mentos commercial style well enough and it keeps your skit from becoming a cryptic pile of turd.
2: I think you need to work on the underlying gag. I know there's not a lot of time to work with, but I feel like the gag isn't funny. Perhaps having the guy get eaten instead of running away (while the girl ponders and eats a Mentos) might help a bit, perhaps there are other ways you could beef up the set-up, too. The punchline... I'm not sure about it. It's like it's both too Looney Tunes/slapstick, and at the same time not slapstick enough. A bigger bludgeon might improve things, along with a lot of practice on the zombie's part making the fall convincing. I'm not really sure overall how to make the gag better, I feel like it either needs to be more clever, or else give the impression of being more clever and then be a mind-numbingly cheap crowd-pleaser. Simulating the freeze-frame at the end of the commercial might be good for a chuckle, too - perhaps just as the zombie's about to be clobbered.

this was funny as !@%@
did you make it