PDA

View Full Version : Gender Swapping

Kunai-kun
03-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I know there's an older topic for this, but it's soooo old(2004) that I figured I'd just make a new one.

How do you feel about a female version of a male character, or a male version of a female character?

Keep in mind that I mean a redesign of a character's outfit to fit their new gender, and not just saying "squall has boobs now lolol."

I personally don't particularly like girl-ified male characters cause I don't feel it's usually done in the correct way.

I'm sort of asking this because I might be making a male version of Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou Project. (see avatar)

Sarah~Chan
03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I like charaters in their opposite genders xD but in reasoning. Like Naruto characters. It works. I know there's a couple animes that do the same or have a fan base around changed genders or something (Like from Haruhi; I've noticed Kyon and that other guy having female versons that have gotten around...)
However, putting on a bikini and wearing a long haired wig the same color as your character is not right =/ It looks lazyish
I'm doing a Sexy no Jutsu Kakashi after my Temari, mainly because I love Kakashi but could never pull him off +_+

Netto_Zero
03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I hate it, to me it just seems like your too lazy to crossplay. I also dislike character "twists" in general for the most part but that's just me. Like lawl pimp (insert character here), isn't really funny or interesting to me.

Kunai-kun
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I hate it, to me it just seems like your too lazy to crossplay. I also dislike character "twists" in general for the most part but that's just me. Like lawl pimp (insert character here), isn't really funny or interesting to me.

More like I am seriously uninterested in wearing a maid's dress. =.=;

This is like the alternative to crossplaying.

And generally preferable for guys.

EgnirysFaye
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Mmhm...if it is done well, and original, I can find it to be likable. But lately gender-switches haven't been really original in my eyes, and are usually sexed-up or obtain an inability to actually recgnonize who the character is.

So..err..I guess I am neutral. I am not going to condemn anyone who wants to do it, but neither am I going to worship it. If you personally wanna go ahead, feel free to XD

P.S. It does in a way depend too, on what characters they are in the first place. Some are easier to switch than others. Whereas to do so with some others seem pointless...like gender switching bishounen or tomboys.

Miyabi-
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Dittooooooo.
Unless it's a canon gender switch from an episode I'm just not a fan. :lost: And unless it's canon it might be hard to tell it's a male/female version of _____ character.

MochaValentino
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
IMO, I can't stand it. I mean, there's no such thing as a Sexy no Jutsu Vincent Valentine or something like that. I find it insulting to the character, and I'll probably look the other way so they wouldn't see my expression.

I hate to sound like a prick, but that's how I feel.

Cora
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
IMO, I can't stand it. I mean, there's no such thing as a Sexy no Jutsu Vincent Valentine or something like that. I find it insulting to the character, and I'll probably look the other way so they wouldn't see my expression.

I hate to sound like a prick, but that's how I feel.

I have to agree, particularly when there's no precedence for the character to have a gender-swapped form in the first place. I mean, I don't want to stop on anyone's idea of having fun with their fandom, but really? Half the time it isn't very tasteful.

vampirate
03-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I've done it, so I suppose I have to say I'm for it. But I don't approve of just the skankier versions. Throwing on a miniskirt and showing cleavage does not make it a female version. I think the new version should be redesigned with thought put into it about the character. So if a character if fully clothed as a male it's not all of a sudden going to dress skimpy as a female. But if and when I do something like this I don't take myself too seriously because it is after all kind of inherently silly.

Kageh_Mygen
03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I don't really care. What other people do is their own business. As I often feel about subjects like this, people take it all too seriously. If a person is enjoying themselves dressing up in their costume, even if it isn't canon, why complain?

cheddot
03-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Ouran guys as girls = win. Other than that, it really depends.

xxkittygurl
03-17-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't really like it, I'm never going to do it, but I'm not going to stop anyone who wants to. I just feel like, "what's the point?" Unless it's a very well known series, no one's going to know who you are (which is debatingly good or bad) and who knows what the reaction is going to be of the few people who *do* recognize you is going to be.

thoshy
03-17-2009, 12:58 AM

That's how I feel on it.

Jackofalltrades
03-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I think that when people do a "feminine" version of a male character, that just gives them an excuse to dress slutty and think they are being "hawt."

DivineSage
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
To be honest, I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone's "super-original" take on a character that's already been designed by professionals for a specific purpose. I mean, if you can show some true creativity and ingenuity and completely redesign the outfit for your purposes, then more power to you, but if your idea of an "original design" is a Sexy no Jutsu version of a stoic male character, then I could do with seeing less of you around the con circuit.

Schuldig_
03-17-2009, 03:31 AM
If it's well made and recognisable, I don't mind. If a cosplayer can manage to keep the design and spirit of the character while adding some gender specific touches, it can look pretty neat. Many anime men, for instance, are pretty androgynous from the start, so taking the steps over to a more female version isn't so far out. However, the "look, I'm so-and-so-in-a-bikini" just indicates lazyness to me.

Andrea
03-17-2009, 03:52 AM
If it's creatively done, still recognizably the character and not "lol squall's in a dress", and they don't make the character any more or less skankified than they were in their original gender (for instance girl!Ed Elric inexplicably wearing a bikini top), then it could be cool.

But I'm not sure I've ever seen it done well enough that I've found it the slightest bit interesting.

zomgmissy
03-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Ouran guys as girls = win. Other than that, it really depends.
You just made me want to cosplay as the "female" Host Club members from the Lobelia episode. xD (I can't spell that word for crap...)

kiwikaiwii
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Well, unless the character DOES crossdress/Sexy-no-Jutsu, then I'm okay with it... but I mean cosplaying a guy as a girl just to wear a bikini is SO unappealing.

DireKitty
03-18-2009, 07:18 AM
If it's well made and recognisable, I don't mind. If a cosplayer can manage to keep the design and spirit of the character while adding some gender specific touches, it can look pretty neat. Many anime men, for instance, are pretty androgynous from the start, so taking the steps over to a more female version isn't so far out. However, the "look, I'm so-and-so-in-a-bikini" just indicates lazyness to me.

I agree. Generally the main issue is even knowing who the character is once the gender has been changed.

Lady Saru
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
...I'm making a female version of Klavier Gavin from Ace Attorney. (My friend is female Daryan. )

Honestly, if it's done well, I'm happy.

Aqua's Rhapsody
03-18-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't really care. What other people do is their own business. As I often feel about subjects like this, people take it all too seriously. If a person is enjoying themselves dressing up in their costume, even if it isn't canon, why complain?

I agree 100%.

Fong
03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

I agree.

Why care? They're having just as much fun as you are.

No need to be elitist.

Krissay-face
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I think it's a great way to be creative with your original ideas and still be recognizable.

I personally love gender bending.
(I cosplayed Kyonko recently, the female!Kyon you mentioned.)

However, I am just plain sick of Sexy no Jutsu cosplayers.*
DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT AT ALL.
I'm not a fan of Naruto, but I'm pretty sure the only person in the series who ever has a SnJ form.
(Aside from one other very minor character I don't even know the name of.)

SnJ can be done right. I've seen it. But, however, it almost never is.
I wish someone would kill that idea already.

(*This also applies to 'Skankified' versions of characters, or '[Male character] as a school girl' .)

BanzaiBrittany
03-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Eh, I don't like it, for multiple reasons:

1. If you like the character, just crossplay.
2. If you don't like crossplay, there are multiple characters in a series to choose from.
3. They are always bad. Always the same ideas recycled over and over. People do it to be "original" but always end up doing stuff other people have done...mini skirts, knee-high boots (for female versions), suits, dress shirts, slacks (for male versions)
4. It's usually just an excuse for someone to dress slutty.

Visually, it usually just comes off an excuse to buy store bought things so someone doesn't have to sew together/commission a version of the original outfit or someone just being lazy. Which if you're just gonna do something to have fun, go for it. But since you're asking here, I'm assuming other cosplayers opinions matter to you to a degree...and I'll be honest, most won't like it, they won't know who/what you are, and you probably won't have any pictures taken. If you go to a group photoshoot, people will be asking who/what you are...again, just being honest.

Queen Anime 99
03-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I think that if you capture the essence of the character, a gender swap can look really good. I've seen some great gender swaps.

MischaU
03-20-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm working on a gender swap cosplay right now!!

Here is my reasoning for chosing a gender swap:

1. Pyramid Head is my favorite character design ever - Masahiro Ito is pretty clever!

2. He wears a smock (and later a skirt) so he's practically a girl anyways

Kazephyr
03-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Honestly, I've seen awesome takes on "gender-swapping" in cosplay. I've seen designs that looked like they took amazing ingenuity, and at least as much work to make as the original costume would have been. They were detailed, about as covering as the character's normal outfit, and made me think "hey, if (insert-character-name-here) was a (insert-opposite-gender-here), that's exactly what they'd look like!"

One thing that bothers me sometimes, though, is when female versions of male characters are dressed in just an all-around "lazy-skimpy" way. I think that, no matter what gender you make the character, you should take into account their personality. Would Byakuya Kuchiki really wear a mini skirt and tube-top? I guess what bothers me is the notion some people have that making a female version of a character means dressing like a stripper, rather than the cosplay itself. I find it almost kind of sexist, in a weird way... Since when did "female" become a synonym for "slutty", anyway? :/

In the end, though, I have no say (nor do I want to pressure others with my standards) in what other people do. If they want to make a "Stripper!Byakuya" they're welcome to do it. I do agree that some people take things way too seriously, and it's just for fun, really. ^^;;

Sipesh
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I've done it, and it had nothing to do with me being "Too lazy to crossplay" because frankly, I can crossplay the bejesus outta whoever I so choose (See avatar). So I was a female version (Love how Vincent Valentine was already brought up specifically, heh... you baited me in, yes you did), and I was still recognizable, and the outfit took just as much work as the male version I'd done prior. I did it for the heck of it, and had fun doing so, and it was well received, and I didn't "Half ass" anything with it.

If you don't want to do it? Then don't. There's a lot of "OMG COSPLAY IS SRZ BZNZ" on page one of this thread. It's about having fun.

Ryuuza
03-21-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm working on a gender swap cosplay right now!!

Here is my reasoning for chosing a gender swap:

1. Pyramid Head is my favorite character design ever - Masahiro Ito is pretty clever!

2. He wears a smock (and later a skirt) so he's practically a girl anyways

Number one... just because someone wears a smock, that doesn't mean they're feminine in any way, also, I know fairly masculine men who wear skirts, you'd be surprised at these numbers. His "smock" is also fashioned after a butcher's apron and executioner's robes. Girly sounding jobs, amirite? Also... Pyramid Head's design is male for specific reasons, and if you'll notice, he's one of very few monsters who have an obvious masculine appearance. It's masculine for a reason; he symbolizes James's (from SH2 if you even bothered to play the games) sexual frustration, hence why you see PH raping female-stylized monsters.

tl;dr: A smock in no way implies femininity, and Pyramid Head is a masculine rape machine.

MischaU
03-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Number one... just because someone wears a smock, that doesn't mean they're feminine in any way, also, I know fairly masculine men who wear skirts, you'd be surprised at these numbers. His "smock" is also fashioned after a butcher's apron and executioner's robes. Girly sounding jobs, amirite? Also... Pyramid Head's design is male for specific reasons, and if you'll notice, he's one of very few monsters who have an obvious masculine appearance. It's masculine for a reason; he symbolizes James's (from SH2 if you even bothered to play the games) sexual frustration, hence why you see PH raping female-stylized monsters.

tl;dr: A smock in no way implies femininity, and Pyramid Head is a masculine rape machine.

uh...I was being facetious. I imagine it's difficult to gauge humour over the internet.

DeathOfSoul
03-21-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't really care either way unless they do the outfit very poorly. My friend is actually dressing up as a male character this year for A-Kon 20. Granted, it's not really a character, but a male BJD of mine (he's actually my current avatar on here)... Either way, I have no problem with her 'adding boobs' to him, haha.

thetollofdeath
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
As long as it's tasteful, well thought out, and covers as much skin as the original character does, I'm fine with it.

However, I'm a bit more prejudice against people taking male characters and gender bending them. ... >______> So female to male gender bending gets all my love. Except for the fact that I probably would never recognize the character.

I absoulutely LOVE well thought out female to male gender bending. ;D *cough cough*

Kunai-kun
04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
As a quick reply to BanzaiBrittany on pacge two:

When referencing my situation, #2 is invalid, because Touhou has 1(one) guy.

That's it.

And I personally think he's a dork. But anyway, back on topic.

In my original post, I did mention that the tasteful gender-swaps was what was being discussed. I know 90% of gender-swaps are not his, but still.

I saw a really good gender-swapped Haruhi group last year at Otakon.

~FatalDreams~
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Hmm...it depends with me.

I'm completely open to artistic interpretation, but most of the time the opposite gender of a character doesn't really satisfy me. Either not enough creative thought has gone into it or the image is portrayed in a degrading fashion to the character (like having a female Sephiroth pose like something from a hentai).

However, when done right, I compliment the artist (or cosplayer when they make the outfit). It's really rare that I see this. I mean NOT EVERYONE has a Sexy no Jutsu, so stop doing it. Sometimes things do not work.

SvK
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I think that if you capture the essence of the character, a gender swap can look really good. I've seen some great gender swaps.

This is funny because your avatar is a character that can't be gender-swapped.

Illa Scriptor
04-09-2009, 02:24 PM
I like gender-swapped cosplays IF:
1) They are not an excuse to be slutty.
2) They have thought and creativity put into them, not just "clouds" or a bathing suit.
3) They are in good fun/to be funny.
4) They are not an excuse not to crossplay. (ooh, double negative)

Being a crossplayer (see my avvie), not being a fan of sluttiness, and making it just for fun, I am going to thoroughly enjoy my time in my future feminized cosplay, even if elitists look down their noses at me. I really don't take myself seriously, why should they? It's to be funny, gaiz. Cosplay is NOT SRS BZNS.

BeautifulDirt
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't mind the SnJ cosplays for Naruto. I wouldn't mind doing one myself if I actually still liked the show. It's supposed to be sexy so I understand sexy-ing up the original character's costume to make it more feminine.
Nothing wrong with looking hot/sexy/pretty as long as it's still in character (somehow).

Personally, I don't really care for the whole thing, but their reasons aren't my business.

ladymatsuya
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't really care either way. If it makes the person wearing the costume happy, then that's really all that matters. Generally speaking, if I don't like it, I ignore it. Not worth wasting thought on.

Haku23
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
As long as it's done well I don't really give too much of a crap. A lot of the times there's gender bent fanart of characters in the same clothes as in the show(or similar) but they're girls/guys. Why not just follow that(or make your own variation) rather than just throwing on the wig then putting on a skirt? o.O For example there's great designs of gender bent Katekyo Hitman Reborn characters-I'd love to do a male Bianchi or female Gokudera because they look just as cool as the originals! :D

demifiend
04-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Being a fan of Xenosaga, me and a friend (taller and better-looking than I) cooked up the idea of doing male versions of Shion and KOS-MOS, preferably the most conservative versions we could find. He nearly throttled me at the idea of suiting him up in tight white vinyl. Still, it was an interesting idea, but I doubt it would ever go anywhere.

onewingedjade
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I have to say, your character is wearing a pink maid outfit, and I don't think there's any way to make that -not- femimine. If you'd like to show some sketches of your idea, that would help gauge whether or not it would be appropriate.

I don't really care as long as it's well-designed and well-made.

Kunai-kun
04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Some fanart concepts of Sakuya as a guy.

Not drawn by me.
Edit: Links wouldn't work, reposting.

Tyblat
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Personally, it drives me nuts. If the character cross dresses or does something of the sort in the anime, so that it's canon, that's fine. But when people change the genders otherwise it really annoys me.

onewingedjade
04-09-2009, 08:16 PM
For some reason, the links didnt work...

Kunai-kun
04-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Reposting them.

http://img5.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sakuya.jpg

Angel Tear
04-10-2009, 09:00 AM
for me, sexy no jutsu's just arent something that I dont want to see at a con. Theyre just not appropriate in my opinion.
However there are cases where I actually like the design. I've heard of people wanting to cosplay as Femme-Roxas and had drawings to go with it. It seemed creative, and maybe some people just dont want to go to the hassle of binding for one of the many down sides that it may present. e.g (pain, hard to put/find someone to put bandages on, what to do if they come loose, difficulty breathing, heat, taking them off if you use the sticky ones)
So I cant really blame someone for wanting to stretch their creativity to accommodate them.

Genderbending a character can be done well, but only if the designer makes it interesting for people to look at, and dont completely warp the character so that it is no longer recognizable. In a way, if you dont support femme characters, you should be saying a similar thing to gijinka, as it isnt the original form of the character. Neither of them are the characters straight off the page/screen, but rather, are portrayed differently. Cant say no to something new and interesting. At least I feel this way, and they are more likely to be more memorably amongst the millions of org XIII members, Narutos and Bleach characters.

I personally intend to cosplay as Kyonko (the genderbending of Haruhi Suzumiya) mainly because I thought it was very clever as to how the fans who created the forum that it began in wanted something to fill the time before the second series came out. It made me realise how difficult it was to make the plot mesh together correctly. And even with the uniform, I can still double as long haired Haruhi before she cuts it.

Anohmolee
04-12-2009, 04:47 PM
My friend and I were thinking of doing female versions of Rorschach and The Comedian. I think it'd be hilarious. Partly because of the irony factor. Partly because I know some people would hate it. The whole thing stemmed from a conversation at Megacon '09.

oslapedo
04-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Word to all my fellow Kyonkos out there 8D

I like genderbending so long as it's well done and I especially don't see anything wrong with things like Vocaloid and TMoHS that have established genderbent characters.

To all the haters, live a little! Instead of worrying over someone else's cosplay focus on your own! Genderbending is harmless fun~

Kunai-kun
04-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I like genderbending so long as it's well done and I especially don't see anything wrong with things like Vocaloid and TMoHS that have established genderbent characters.

It also doesn't help when you're a guy who likes Touhou.

99.9% of the characters in Touhou are female, and the one guy is a dork.

MinaUchiha2
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Some friends and I have genderbent many characters, but we spent time designing an outfit for them, no just putting them in something like a bikini or small. We've done things such as Lolita genderbent Akatsuki, genderswap FMA Military, a few others, mostly just sketches, we'll be working to get these actully done one day. ^^'

MischaU
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
My friend and I were thinking of doing female versions of Rorschach and The Comedian. I think it'd be hilarious. Partly because of the irony factor. Partly because I know some people would hate it. The whole thing stemmed from a conversation at Megacon '09.

I think it would be hilarious too, the more masculine a character the funnier it is.

Anohmolee
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I think it would be hilarious too, the more masculine a character the funnier it is.

It'd be "rape-suit" Comedian, which would be really freaking funny to me. I ordered my tights for Femschach today. I'm having trouble finding a proper coat though.

MischaU
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
It'd be "rape-suit" Comedian, which would be really freaking funny to me. I ordered my tights for Femschach today. I'm having trouble finding a proper coat though.

I cosplayed a rapist too, I'm going to hell http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1980327/

LoveAnime18
04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I prefer keeping characters their gender. There might be a few exceptions, but I would never gender swap characters. It feels wrong to do so.

Here's one of my biggest ones, Togashi made Kurama a boy so stop making him a girl, giving him a fetus and making him pregnant. >.<

I'm not gonna stop people from doing it. It's not possible for me to do so, and I find it wrong for me to force my opinions onto people, but I'll just never do it. Swapping genders to me just changes the character and I don't like that.

I also feel like what others have stated before, a lazy way to get around crossplaying or a blatant disregard to the character. If you like the character enough to cosplay him or her, then you should be willing to go all the way. Girls, bind down your boobs, and don't say you can't I have a friend who is a double d and still gets insanely flat. And boys make some fake ones.

I could probably say more, but that'll probably be more about my raging hate about making Kurama a girl... I really don't like it when people do that. >.>

MischaU
04-12-2009, 11:12 PM
What do you do if the character has a larger chest then you? :skidude2:

YohK
04-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Word to all my fellow Kyonkos out there 8D

To all the haters, live a little! Instead of worrying over someone else's cosplay focus on your own! Genderbending is harmless fun~

Yusss,,, I love you.:crylaugh:

YohK
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
What do you do if the character has a larger chest then you? :skidude2:

You try to stuff your biggest pillows in your bra...hahaha:skidude2:

oslapedo
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Yusss,,, I love you.:crylaugh:

Waihellothar :3

Genderbending, crossplaying, and all of that gets so confusing to me after a while. What is it when a middle-aged hairy man wears a skanky sailor fuku? If that's also considered genderbending then that would be the one kind I don't like.

YohK
04-12-2009, 11:45 PM
My avatar kinda looks like you. haha.

onewingedjade
04-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Hmm, I see what you mean. I like it, but honestly if I saw you walking around, I wouldn't make the connection. If you could get a girl to do the other character, that would be so awesome. (Heh I know how impossible that is...). Like with the female Kakashi's, you can recognize the character by the face mask, long silver hair, etc. (I'm not a Naruto fan, so I hope I used the right name...) But with this character, there is no defining characters that make you go 'ooohh, I see'. I think it's really cute, but if you want people to make the connection, then I wouldn't recommend it. If I see you at Otakon I'll recognize it! Hehe.

Kunai-kun
04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Hmm, I see what you mean. I like it, but honestly if I saw you walking around, I wouldn't make the connection. If you could get a girl to do the other character, that would be so awesome. (Heh I know how impossible that is...). Like with the female Kakashi's, you can recognize the character by the face mask, long silver hair, etc. (I'm not a Naruto fan, so I hope I used the right name...) But with this character, there is no defining characters that make you go 'ooohh, I see'. I think it's really cute, but if you want people to make the connection, then I wouldn't recommend it. If I see you at Otakon I'll recognize it! Hehe.

Well, I will be walking around with a Patchouli Knowledge. So people -might- be able to make the connection.

I don't particularly mind though.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Patchouli%20Knowledge/Lyco_7/2d0a8af6466bca4205986f15d923090d-1.jpg

Kunai-kun
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Bump for more opinions on this.

And the guy!Sakuya Izayoi is a go, already got patterns. :3

I'll probably begin to post pics when I can get something done.

Hiro Akemi
05-07-2009, 11:20 PM
To be honest, I'm kind of tired of seeing everyone's "super-original" take on a character that's already been designed by professionals for a specific purpose. I mean, if you can show some true creativity and ingenuity and completely redesign the outfit for your purposes, then more power to you, but if your idea of an "original design" is a Sexy no Jutsu version of a stoic male character, then I could do with seeing less of you around the con circuit.

I agree.

If your going to do it PUT EFFORT into it. If not don't bother.

If you do plan on doing a revealing outfit that you do think is 'totally original' AT LEAST make sure you have the body for it otherwise you look a MESS.

Cyanna
05-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I doesn't bother me. People can dress as they please as long at it doesn't violate any decency laws. One of my favorite cosplays was a female variant on Rock Lee. Still very Rock Lee looking...and not skanky at all. But the girl had black pigtails and the green bodysuit had a knee-length skirt instead of legs. I thought Shee-Lee was really cute!

Normally I'd just crossplay. But for a future year, I was considering a female varient on Donald Duck. Donald goes pantless anyway so I'd turn his sailor shirt into a jumper.

Cosplay_Rose
05-08-2009, 01:06 AM
If it's done well and they know the character, I love it. I've done one myself (a female version of Mario, I don't have good pics), and I'm currently working on another one. Other than a few things, I try to stay as accurate as possible.

I LURV
05-08-2009, 01:11 AM
I would like to see a really good male version of envy from fullmetal alchemist. I would think of it as someone making 'envy's twin brother' in a sort of sense.

Some characters could look interesting, and some wont.

TR Rose
05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I would like to see a really good male version of envy from fullmetal alchemist. I would think of it as someone making 'envy's twin brother' in a sort of sense.

Some characters could look interesting, and some wont.
You know that Envy IS a guy, right?

NaughtsApproach
05-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't mind it if they actually try to make something amazing.
I mean a girl version of L would just piss me off to be honest, i mean not only is a lazy cosplay in the first place, but they were even to lazy to crossplay him.
(not that there aren't some non-lazy L cosplayers)

But if someone actually puts some effort into it to make it look amazing, then by all means go for it kids. And sometimes girls just are not able to crossplay.

One of my friends and her little sister are making girl versions of Seto and mokuba Kaiba from Yugioh.
from what she has said she has put together it sounds amazing and adorable.

I LURV
05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
You know that Envy IS a guy, right?
They are homonculi and technically speaking don't have a real gender, envy never knew his/her true form but it claims to 'disguise itself as a boy'.

But to 'pleasure yourself' I would like to see a more MASCULINE version of envy.

TwinEnigma
05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, I've seen all types of gender-bender cosplay, but I only really dislike one type.

There are the girls and guys that can't or won't for technical reasons go all the way with a crossplay and just settle for "x character in the opposite gender, same style clothes." I can respect that. Not everyone is comfortable binding down their boobs or wearing false breasts. Crossplay does take a certain amount of courage.

There's the "look at me" group that just does "sexy jutsu" slutty knockoffs, often barely recognizable as the character. Yeah. No. I don't respect them at all, since it's pretty clear they're not even trying to have fun with it - they just want to be told they're pretty or hot and it's pathetic.

There's the "doing it for lulz" group that purposely doesn't go all the way (in particular, I remember a very manly Sailor Jupiter, who was in it just for giggles). I enjoy them. They're clearly having fun playing it up and that's cool.

Then there is the group of cosplayers that actually goes and creates or mods their character's costume to a female or male version that works and is recognizable. That's dedication and worthy of respect.

almightysam
05-08-2009, 12:24 PM
What i think is if you can redesign a characters costume to gender flop it go for it. but if all you want to do is where skank ho clothes and say you are such and such character then NO! If you want to gender flop a costume then actually redesign it and keep as close to the original design as possible. i saw one year an awesome female version of anbu kakashi, all she had done was make it obvious that she was female.

alorian
05-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Like any other idea in cosplay, or in fandom, or in the world for that matter, it can follow a simple equation. If it's done really well, and with care, and love, and effort, and a dose of good taste, it's going to look good most of the time. If it's slap-dash for attention, and laziness, and trashy, it's going to look like ass.

But you can do it either way and it is nobody else's damn business. Cosplay is about enjoying yourself. Do it the way you want to do it, that would make you the most happy and comfortable. I was cosplaying long before the term sexy no jutsuwhatever even existed, and there were a few cosplays I did, of guys, where I didn't bind. I enjoy wearing a character's clothes, not always making a photocopy of them to walk around a con. Did I love the character less? No. Did it make me a lazy cosplayer? No.

There will always be some people screaming that you can't cosplay without a wig, you can't cosplay alternate versions of people, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong size, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong color, you can't cosplay if you're too old, you can't cosplay if you buy your costumes. They seem to think all cosplays should be some kind of army of inflatable artbook pages, not fans having fun. I don't know why these people think they're in charge, because nobody is in charge of my costumes but me, and the nice security person checking for the orange tip on my toy guns.

Anything else is bullshit. End of line.

What other people would and would not do need not be what you would do. Your cosplay is your cosplay. Display your love for the character any way that is best for you, and you'll get out of it what you put into it. It's a great hobby, and it should make you happy. Follow your own rules about what you want out of it and how to do it, not ones made up by other people. It's the best way to go. Trust me. ^_^ Most people aren't even worried about what anyone else is doing, because they're too busy having fun. And the ones that are nitpicking everyone else are the ones having a crappy time because they're so knotted up about other people's costumes or their fandoms or their whatever. Nothing is less pleasant than being stuck at a con in the company of such people, and I'd rather be having fun, myself.

MinaUchiha2
05-08-2009, 03:01 PM
They are homonculi and technically speaking don't have a real gender, envy never knew his/her true form but it claims to 'disguise itself as a boy'.

But to 'pleasure yourself' I would like to see a more MASCULINE version of envy.

Actully in the anime, at the end Envy himself says to Eward that he is his brother, and that he is Hohenheim's first son. Showing his original form for the anime as that as well.

Tony Smalls
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
It doesn't really bother me as long as it's within reason. I don't want to see another "slut" pikachu character (sorry, I saw one last year at AX 2008 and all she wore was a yellow 2-piece bikini with ears and a tail...that's just lazy). People can do as they please cause no matter what we may think they're probably going to do it anyway...

Moonsong
05-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't really like gender-swapping characters unless it actually happens in the show (like Host Club), and it's not something I'd participate in myself, but I'm not going to hate people for it or anything.

Ukara07
05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Like any other idea in cosplay, or in fandom, or in the world for that matter, it can follow a simple equation. If it's done really well, and with care, and love, and effort, and a dose of good taste, it's going to look good most of the time. If it's slap-dash for attention, and laziness, and trashy, it's going to look like ass.

But you can do it either way and it is nobody else's damn business. Cosplay is about enjoying yourself. Do it the way you want to do it, that would make you the most happy and comfortable. I was cosplaying long before the term sexy no jutsuwhatever even existed, and there were a few cosplays I did, of guys, where I didn't bind. I enjoy wearing a character's clothes, not always making a photocopy of them to walk around a con. Did I love the character less? No. Did it make me a lazy cosplayer? No.

There will always be some people screaming that you can't cosplay without a wig, you can't cosplay alternate versions of people, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong size, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong color, you can't cosplay if you're too old, you can't cosplay if you buy your costumes. They seem to think all cosplays should be some kind of army of inflatable artbook pages, not fans having fun. I don't know why these people think they're in charge, because nobody is in charge of my costumes but me, and the nice security person checking for the orange tip on my toy guns.

What other people would and would not do need not be what you would do. Your cosplay is your cosplay. Display your love for the character any way that is best for you, and you'll get out of it what you put into it. It's a great hobby, and it should make you happy. Follow your own rules about what you want out of it and how to do it, not ones made up by other people. It's the best way to go. Trust me. ^_^ Most people aren't even worried about what anyone else is doing, because they're too busy having fun. And the ones that are nitpicking everyone else are the ones having a crappy time because they're so knotted up about other people's costumes or their fandoms or their whatever. Nothing is less pleasant than being stuck at a con in the company of such people, and I'd rather be having fun, myself.

*bows down repeatedly*

THIS

You... are... awesome!

People, it's cosPLAY, not coswork. We do this to have fun and enjoy ourselves in the company of the other dorks like us. We are flesh and blood people, and we aren't trying to be carbon copies of these drawings.

I mean, I am genderbending Gaara for AnimeNEXT. Not because I don't like males, not because I'm too lazy to crossplay, but because it's for the Naruto Prom and no matter what I do, I look HORRIBLE in a suit. Plus (for those who'll say, "There are other Naruto characters") I am trying to cut my spending by using a formal dress I already own. And Gaara was the only character that had a color scheme matching one of my dresses (plus, I will already have the red wig for my kallen cosplay)

Seriously, if you like it, great, if you don't like it, that's fine too. But please, don't bag on those who do like it. It's petty and a waste of time.

Cosplay_Rose
05-09-2009, 01:56 AM

*clapity clap clap* I freakin' love you.

jounink
05-09-2009, 04:34 AM
...There will always be some people screaming that you can't cosplay without a wig, you can't cosplay alternate versions of people, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong size, you can't cosplay if you're the wrong color, you can't cosplay if you're too old, you can't cosplay if you buy your costumes. They seem to think all cosplays should be some kind of army of inflatable artbook pages, not fans having fun. I don't know why these people think they're in charge, because nobody is in charge of my costumes but me, and the nice security person checking for the orange tip on my toy guns....

Beautifully written...dont you feel like the ones that B*tch the most about others cosplays are the ones that dont pay ther own bills (like rent)....any who to Kunai-Kun do what you want "F" it! I myself plan to crossplay as Mugen~samurai champloo and think it would be best to make something a little more flattering (not slutty) on my body, but im not 100% yet. Its still just a thought.

trustychords
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
I want to cosplay Steve (http://cdn.okcimg.com/php/load_okc_image.php/images/0x0/0x0/0/1336317261076149044.jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.p ng) (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) sometime. Now, I'm more happy to crossplay as him but am slightly considering doing a femme!Steve. The problem is, a) I don't know how to interpret him as a female other than blue shirt and black tie, white skirt, beige tights, brown flats b) I have my doubts that I'd be recognised with or without my brother as Dr Weird if I were to go down the femme route.

Any thoughts?

Lonefox
09-23-2011, 03:34 PM

It's so...

so...

Beautiful!

*applauds*

Deathfire
09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
TBH, I don't like most of them, only because I never seem to see any original take on them. Most of them do end up being that "Sexy-no-Jutsu" look or just the same costume with boobs.

When you do genderbender cosplays, you really have to push the envelope on the design aspect of it. For example, at DragonCon this year, I've seen a bunch of genderbender Jokers...most of them were just eh...but one pair (this one was with a genbent Harley Quinn as well!) had a VERY awesome take on it.

I can't really explain it well, so here's a pic that I took :) :
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/City_of_Stars/coscomgendbend.jpg
Not only did they swap genders, but they kind of took a neo-victorian take on the costumes!

And to not get flamed for having an opinion, I'll add this statement:
No one should care who does what and why and whatever. It's their costume blah blah blah. I personally am indifferent to people's cosplay decisions, so *shrugs*. :O

AriannaParker
09-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Honestly, I'm not a fan of gender-bends, but that's mostly in terms of WEARING them myself. I always like seeing other takes on a character. And despite my lack of interest in gender-bends, I still ended up randomly spending part of Matsuricon walking about as a female Shizuo.

Cosplay is about what you want to do with it, last I checked.

aiyua
09-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I've always found the idea of gender-swapping interesting. For example, genderbent Yuna and Auron (FFX)? Awesome. Which is why I'll be doing it at some point.

ARIADecember
09-26-2011, 09:44 PM
2. If you don't like crossplay, there are multiple characters in a series to choose from.

Touhou is 98.9%(counting Unzan and Genjii) girls, the guy does not appear in the games

however there are some girls that wear pants, Wiggles and Fujiwara no Mokou if you feel weird about switching genders and wearing a dress

Bump for more opinions on this.

And the guy!Sakuya Izayoi is a go, already got patterns. :3

I'll probably begin to post pics when I can get something done.

I would like to see it when you can post pictures

Pirogoeth05
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I think it can be creative. Granted when I look up "Female Wolfwood", for example, it's simply Wolfwood in a skirt. My take on it is "What would he/she wear if they were a girl/guy?" I'm hoping to do a female Tuxedo Mask where she would wear a nice black evening dress, white opera length gloves, the cape still attached at the shoulders but in very flowing fabrics, strappy little shoes, and a little top hat. And of course the mask.

It's all in how you approach it.