PDA

View Full Version : Rising Stars of Manga

Velvy
07-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Anyone own the book? It's really great. I gotta say my favorite entry is the grand prize winner, "Devil's Candy." If I'm not mistaken, besides an Elvis teddy bear attacking, there was also a Richard Simmons teddy bear. XD I hope that they expound on that short and make a full series because it's just that well done.

I think I'll enter the 3rd contest, assuming they'll have a 3rd contest.

the_tennyo
08-01-2003, 02:42 AM
I would if I had the patience to draw all those scenes and figure out a story board :P

Icetigris
08-01-2003, 04:30 AM
I was going to enter last time round, but the contest overlapped with school. Consequently, I had no time to finish my manga. I was also planning to enter this one, but I again have no time, so possibly the third one. I believe they said something somewhere on the site about making the contest annual or biannual. I have a really big problem with keeping my story concise enough to fit into 20 pages and I'm a really bad procrastinator. But, god, do I want to get a series published...;_;

kitti-chan
08-03-2003, 12:11 AM
i might try but yeah

I loved the book though...except the farther back i got well les just say that i didnt like all the art but thats just my opinion

SephirothXer0
08-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Damn I've got to get to work on my manga...

-sits and waits patiently for manga paper to arrive from Japan-

Kaname
08-09-2003, 04:30 AM
I was thinking about entering this contest as well...although I don't know the first thing about creating a manga. I don't know anything about screentones, or what paper to use. So, I think I'll just wait for the third one like most everyone else here. ^^; Plus, I don't even know what kind of story I'd like to do...it'd be nice to do something profound and whatnot (like RahXephon, Lain, or .hack), but I also want to do a love story, cause I heart love stories. *L*

What genres are you guys thinking about doing? Oh, and what kind of paper do you use? I am so ignorant about creating manga it makes me embarrassed. *L*

SephirothXer0
08-09-2003, 11:26 PM
I've ordered 500 sheets of A-4 size manga paper from Japan. It's supposed to be the professional grade stuff, so I guess it'll do fine. I'll have to buy a scanner and photoshop to add in the text and print it out to the right size.

I'm doing an adventure story based on the game I'm making in RPG Maker 2 (pushed back to October... BASTARDS!!!)

Faily
08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm gonna work hard all year so I can enter the next one. :)

BTW, what's so special about manga-paper? In what way is it different from other ones? :confused:

Beware_UY7
08-11-2003, 01:37 AM
Okay... well, manga paper is made for use with other manga supplies, like pens and tones. It can put up with lots of abuse... it's thick, so it doesn't get too scratched up from pen nibs, and it wont be cut easily when you're doing tones... if you used thin paper with tones, you'd end up cutting through the paper as you tried to trim the tones. And its uber smooth, so, unlike with other paper, pen nibs glide over it nice an' easy, and you get a pretty finish.

If you don't wanna pay for manga paper (or can't order it, since that's almost the only way to get it) Bristol board is good, thick paper. Ink on Bristol board runs a tiny bit (very little), though. I've never had a problem with ink on manga paper running, though it will smear if you touch something too soon after drawing it. But ink only takes a second to dry...

I really like manga paper because it can be purchased with guide lines that don't show up when copied, but you can use to get pretty, even boxes.

I'd recommend a large size paper. The bigger the better with manga paper, so that when it gets shrunk down, it looks nice and detailed. A5 is a good paper size... although I use A4 too, but only when I'm playing around, since it's only about 8.5x6 when you consider all that will be cropped off. (If you go to Tokyopop.com, they have a page explaining how things get cropped)

The story I'm doing is a cutsey love story written by my friend... I try to get her to explain details, and she replies "I dunno, you make it up," which causes me to snap and throw a hissy fit. (I freaked yesterday because she wouldn't describe the main character's boots to me.)

Kaname
08-11-2003, 04:14 AM
Where do you go to order this paper you speak of? I'm going to Kinokuniya tomorrow, do you know if they carry it there?

Velvy
08-11-2003, 04:53 AM
I think I'm just gonna use regular paper. Since I don't plan on using tones or anything like that. Just pencil and pen. And the genre is sort of romance, sort of adventure. It's a yuri story.

Kaname
08-11-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Velvy
I think I'm just gonna use regular paper. Since I don't plan on using tones or anything like that. Just pencil and pen. And the genre is sort of romance, sort of adventure. It's a yuri story.

I know the story and artwork is pretty much everything, but I wonder if they count it against you if you don't use tones since that is such a big part of manga.

Beware_UY7
08-11-2003, 01:59 PM
Weeeellll... did you happen to notice that the grand Prize winner from last year, "Devil's Candy" used absobloominlutly NO tones?

But the artist did do a whole lot of detailed pen work. I love 'er to death. And she's so cute. I saw her at AX03 dressed as Kazu. I drooled.

Actually, only like 3 of the winning entries used screen tones. (I'm not even positive that one of them wasn't computer generated tones)

Computer generated tones were what was used the most. One of the entries, done by Hans Tseng ("The Little Match Girl) actually uses computer generated tones, then prints his work, and re-scans it, so it looks more like real screen tones. Very creative.

They do look at things like tone work, because using tones looks professional, but 4 of the winning entries didn't use tones, just very creative art.

It's all about talent, if you have great talent, but don't care for tones, they wont penalize you.

Hotaru
08-12-2003, 05:31 PM
wow am i the only one totally unimpressed with the "winners"? it was really sub-par to me. i'm not saying that to be mean, tho, that's just my opinion. my boyfriend had one that was pretty much finished, but it wasn't in in time, and it blows every winner completely away. i wish i had something of his to show, but....

MoiMoiJai
08-12-2003, 05:43 PM
I love the grand prize winner's story... but it feels too cut off at the end. The rest though, i have a slight irritation towards. Hopefully my entry will be done before the deadline, I have to haul booty.

I got a lot of my supplies online and offline at Kinokukiya(sp) in Seattle, i've been shopping there since i was little. They have copics, comic supplies, and everything else.

but the tokyopop website provides information for you to invest in manga supplies...

I've had to re-do my comic over and over because there are so many FLAWS, you'd think manga work would be easy, but I see it in a new light, it's completely difficult and stress giving, I get so stressed out over one page and loose interest in the others because i feel depressed from working so long on one page to continue.

But it's worth a shot and have fun doing it.

Kaname
08-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by MoiMoiJai
I love the grand prize winner's story... but it feels too cut off at the end. The rest though, i have a slight irritation towards. Hopefully my entry will be done before the deadline, I have to haul booty.

I got a lot of my supplies online and offline at Kinokukiya(sp) in Seattle, i've been shopping there since i was little. They have copics, comic supplies, and everything else.

but the tokyopop website provides information for you to invest in manga supplies...

I've had to re-do my comic over and over because there are so many FLAWS, you'd think manga work would be easy, but I see it in a new light, it's completely difficult and stress giving, I get so stressed out over one page and loose interest in the others because i feel depressed from working so long on one page to continue.

But it's worth a shot and have fun doing it.

Even though I've never done a manga before in my life, I know the feeling. I get it when I work on just one simple sketch to the finalized version (if I even get that far, that is).

I haven't read any of the winning entries. I glanced through the book at B&N awhile ago, but didn't do more than flip through each entry. I liked the style of 'Devil's Candy,' but it's as Hotaru said, some of the winning entries were a bit...subpar artwork wise. However, I'm sure what they lack in art they make up for in story (or am I just being too optimistic? *L*) I plan on going back sometime this week and checking the book out in further detail (pft, hope it's okay for me to read it all in store...I don't have the $10 bucks ;_;)

I am still confused on how to set things up on the page, but I'm sure if I actually got motivated to draw a 20-page manga, I'd figure it out fast. ^^;

MoiMoiJai
08-13-2003, 02:18 PM
I didn't think I'd buy the book but I bought the book for as a guide... the entries came along with a page about why they were chosen and about the artists/creators. so it gave me a look as to how they were going to be judged, not neccessarily meaning they're going to be the same judge, but it helps.

if you're this late in the competition it's best you work through the deadline and submit next time. You'll have plenty of time to get money and supplies for a more official and easier way of making your story.

I'm having 2 people help me, my bf, whos going to take film in school, I ask his advice on how this panel looks and how they look overall because it's best to have a 2nd pair of eyes to see how it flows and looks. Then i have Juno from A.C.C.E.N.T help me with a lot of the technical things. I started this a month ago and now it's been 2 weeks... I'm running out of time pulling my hair and weary to work on it.

i think it'd be best that anyone who hast started late for this just send in your entry for the next one.

g'luck to everyone :]

Inamichan
08-15-2003, 04:43 PM
I plan to enter, probably next year. I could probably have it done for this year's deadline if I tried hard enough, but I don't want to rush it. n_n;; I'm pretty sure there'll be another one next year..I'll get started during the schoolyear so I can hopefully get a head start. ^^;

wow am i the only one totally unimpressed with the "winners"? it was really sub-par to me. i'm not saying that to be mean, tho, that's just my opinion. my boyfriend had one that was pretty much finished, but it wasn't in in time, and it blows every winner completely away. i wish i had something of his to show, but....
No, you're not. ^^; Most of the stories and artwork were pretty mediocre, I think, and I was thoroughly disappointed. I hope the second contest winners are better. (Or not, maybe it'll increase my chances ^^; )

Icetigris
08-15-2003, 10:14 PM
...I'm doing an adventure story based on the game I'm making in RPG Maker 2 (pushed back to October... BASTARDS!!!)

Kewl! Me too (sorta)! I'm trying to get a video game development club started at my school, tho, knowing the administration and the "club budget"'s tendenciy to be depleted whenever *I* make a club proposal for something out-of-the-ordinary like this, I may just end up making the game myself or not at all.

Also, question, are you using a lot of halftones, or are you BSing them in Photoshop?

Mephistopheles
08-15-2003, 10:38 PM
I just appreciate that the entries they chose to print were often storytelling over art. Don't get me wrong, it was all better than anything I could do, but the art wasn't 'great.' That's a good thing though. It shows that they were more interested in a good story than professional artwork. Kudos to Tokyopop for story over art. You find too often in comics these days titles where the art is more important than the story. It's sad really. At least this is a step in the right direction.

Shintsu
08-17-2003, 01:04 PM
I agree with Mephistopheles. Story over art, but still, some of the stuff in the book was a little iffy. I started working on my comic about a week after it started. Lol.. i had this story planned out and then changed my mind maybe, three days before the start. It's a really sort of mellow story. No tones, but i do alot of line shading. (I love line shading and haven't got a clue on how to do tones) I'm also using normal paper. Gah! I worry about the paper now.. @_@;;;
I doubt I'll win. But hey, atleast it forced me to finally finish a comic.
(well, it will. right now I just have to finish inking a few pages and put in the words)

Mephistopheles
08-17-2003, 02:51 PM
Just be confident and tell the best story you can. I'm sure it'll be great!

Shintsu
08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Just be confident and tell the best story you can. I'm sure it'll be great!

that is for all of us, right? but yes, in anycase, I don't think it'll bother me too much if I lose. 'cause if I do, then I know I'll have something to sell it at Katsucon. :thumbsup: (though really, six months should give me enough time to make something else)

avagoyle
08-21-2003, 03:58 PM
I didn't like any of the stories or their art. I hated HATED the "Little Matchstick Girl" one. Taking someone else's story and drawing it?!?! How unoriginal is that.

I know both Clint and Percy personally, but I didn't like the art for her story.

If she had done it more in line like these ones here from her site, I would have liked it better.

http://www.paperninja.net/zombie/color/bikkuri.html

http://www.megaten.net/zombie/c_vampcouple2.html

MoiMoiJai
08-24-2003, 04:21 PM
I didn't like any of the stories or their art. I hated HATED the "Little Matchstick Girl" one. Taking someone else's story and drawing it?!?! How unoriginal is that.

I know both Clint and Percy personally, but I didn't like the art for her story.

If she had done it more in line like these ones here from her site, I would have liked it better.

http://www.paperninja.net/zombie/color/bikkuri.html

http://www.megaten.net/zombie/c_vampcouple2.html

wow that's harsh, I think a lot of people are disrespetcing what these people have done, i mean if it's so bad, I want to see you guys do so much better. Why didn't YOU win the competition why didn't YOU take the time to make drawings ink them and then tone them.

manga work ISN'T easy, and there isn't anything wrong with using a previous story to illustrate. I mean, no you can't go off and illustrate a chapter or scene from harry potter or anything like that, but the judges seemed to think it worthy, you see Disney taking old fairy tales and animating it.

you guys should give at least a bit of credit to these people for taking the time to do their work and doing it the best they can. If you can do better I'd like to see.

yummyfire
08-24-2003, 04:27 PM
I can't draw. Right now I'm at the doodling stage. But I'm gonna get good. And move to Japan. And become Masashi Kishimoto's apprentice.

avagoyle
08-26-2003, 02:40 PM
wow that's harsh, I think a lot of people are disrespetcing what these people have done, i mean if it's so bad, I want to see you guys do so much better. Why didn't YOU win the competition why didn't YOU take the time to make drawings ink them and then tone them.

manga work ISN'T easy, and there isn't anything wrong with using a previous story to illustrate. I mean, no you can't go off and illustrate a chapter or scene from harry potter or anything like that, but the judges seemed to think it worthy, you see Disney taking old fairy tales and animating it.

you guys should give at least a bit of credit to these people for taking the time to do their work and doing it the best they can. If you can do better I'd like to see.

I already mentioned that I know Clint and Percy personally and I think they could have done better - artwise, at least. I loved their story myself.

I still stand by my "Little Match Stick Girl" comment. The guy just ripped someone else's story. That is not creative or original at all - something I thought this contest was supposed to be about.

And Disney puts a modern twist on the old story, and they don't enter their works in contest for creativity.

One of my favorite manga side stories is a version of Repunzel. The way that is it told and drawn is so lovely. Although they base it off of a story told thousands of time, their version of it is so fresh and original, you can't help but love it.

The Match strick story was probably copied straight out of a book. There was no twist, no different interpretation, no nothing to make it special or stand out.

I was really disappointed to see that one included there. If the guy wanted to publish it somewhere else I would have no problem, but someone who had the talent to come up with their own story should have one.

Mephistopheles
08-26-2003, 06:41 PM
I'm a huge comic fan, and as such I know how important an artist's storytelling ability is to the end result. A comic artist doesn't just DRAW some stuff. The artist tells the story visually, and a silent comic is one of the hardest things to do, even for the professionals.

It's my opinion that this particular story was told very well visually. Even if the story wasn't an original story, and sometimes that makes the story even HARDER to tell, it was done with visual drama, great pacing, and it had a great flow to it.

It was these elements that made it a great addition to the book. This is, of course, only one guy's opinion, but I believe it's a good one.

megumibish
08-26-2003, 09:29 PM
yeah I can completely agree with story over art being a good thing. Tones are lovely too. I make my own being I can't stand computer tones..they look bad to me...but I bet they are easier to apply... That and the tones I make can be scratch highlighted just like deleter brand tones.. If any of you wnat to make your own you can get thes copyright free book by Dover with mechanical tints. It's called Patterns, Textures and tints. What you do is get some chartpak Dafc8(permanent adheasive) or Dafr8(repositional adheasive*the one I like to use*) and make a photocopy of the tones onto the chartpak. Chartpak applique film as it's truly called was originally intended for draft reproductions without having to redraw the things over again. Lucky that it can be used for making tones..the ones I've listed above are strictly for photocopiers(cuz of the high heat required to set the tone) but they do have ones for laserjet printers. sorry if this was more than a lil OT but i figured I could help out those who really want to use tones. doing them this way makes each sheet of tone come out to being only about a 1.20 a sheet or less. versus the 5.00 ones at comic tones these are a deal. you can fine chartpak at www.texasart.com and many other places..a 10 sheet count of dafc8 is about 14 bucks there.