PDA

View Full Version : Where is Lancaster,CA?

RuthlessJS
07-31-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm from Dallas so I have no idea where Lancaster, CA is. Can someone recommend the best airport to fly in to get to the convention. :D

KimikoChan
07-31-2003, 12:37 AM
Let me just say you rock for coming all the way from Dallas ^_^

Lancaster is in southern california. I live in northern california and am flying to the los angeles airport (LAX), since the hotel offers shuttles from LAX to the hotel. I'm told there is also Burbank airport and Ontario, but I don't think they offer shuttles from there and you'd have to find alternative solutions, so I think LAX would be best if you want a shuttle ride ^_^

TsukiNoBara
07-31-2003, 01:46 AM
I think Burbank might be the closest to Lancaster.

Usagi Mylene
07-31-2003, 02:36 AM
I flying into burbank becuase I've been told it is close but they do not offer the shuttle. Only at LAX 'cuz it's father away.

I'm not sure of the excat distance. I'll be searching on yahoo maps so if you would like the info let me know, and I'll PM you.

BlueLady
07-31-2003, 02:41 AM
it's gonna take you nearly 2 hours to get to Lancaster from LA. Without traffic you are still looking at an hour and a half minumum. Burbank is about a half hour closer but there are no shuttles that I know of. Ontario will take you about the same amount of time ( 1and a half to 2 hours). Im in santa clarita about half way between lancaster and LAX.

RuthlessJS
07-31-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by KimikoChan
I live in northern california and am flying to the los angeles airport (LAX), since the hotel offers shuttles from LAX to the hotel.

Those shuttle rides are free of course correct? :)

positivespace
07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RuthlessJS
Those shuttle rides are free of course correct? :)

Negative.

Since it's about an hour and a half/two hour drive between LAX and Lancaster you're going to have to pay. I believe it's around $25-$30? Not completely sure on that.

I believe the details are spelled out on the AM site: www.ani-magic.org

RyuHayabusaDOA2
07-31-2003, 02:11 PM
hmmm..from NorCal, weell, hayward anyways, it's about 4-6 hours if you make a lot of stops, and if I'm going, I'm not sure if I'm flying in or taking a ride, but yeah, LAX would be the wisest choice if you don't know the area pretty well and you rock man, *agrees with Kimiko* coming all the way from Dallas...that's dedication :D

RuthlessJS
07-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Quite a few people on this site have told me that this would be in their top 3 cons. They said it's the "best" because it has a "cosplay" atmosphere. I guess I should check to see if all of those people reside in CA :P

Anyways what size is the con? How does it compare to other cons that you may have been to? If anyone has any good memories about this con pelase share them because Im trying to convince myself that I must go to this con :)

RyuHayabusaDOA2
07-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RuthlessJS
Quite a few people on this site have told me that this would be in their top 3 cons. They said it's the "best" because it has a "cosplay" atmosphere. I guess I should check to see if all of those people reside in CA :P

Anyways what size is the con? How does it compare to other cons that you may have been to? If anyone has any good memories about this con pelase share them because Im trying to convince myself that I must go to this con :)

well, I was there in 2001 and it was a pretty good size con. Mostly like aorund 500 people at the most at that time. It's a friendly atmosphere with a real closeness to it. ^_^ and I do have a good memory of the con, cause I was there and I had fun...mostly me, the half-time masquerade show and the hotel pool. lol l :thumbsup:

FlameSniperRei
07-31-2003, 08:12 PM
It's in the middle of no-wheresville unfortunetly ;_;

Moon Prince
08-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Size? They are hoping for 1000 registered guests? I think that's about right...

Yesh, what Rei says. Nowhere's ville.

But seriously, research it out... I Burbank is closer, and I am sure that there is a shuttle that can take you there from the airport... just don't know how much it would cost...

It's really a fun con to go to... the first year, us cosplayers were really an 'oddity' but it's really changed...

Psychotic Jei
08-01-2003, 02:40 AM
Burbank will probably not have a shuttle. As said before Lancaster is in the middle of nowhere. Buuuut. There is the Metrolink... I'm sure you can get a shuttle/bus/cab to a station. The trip is actually really nice up by train. Thats how I got there last year. It was far better than car. Only thing is...you cant catch it back on a Sunday.

hello kenney
08-01-2003, 03:21 AM
RuthlessJS- any chance on having Jax ready in time? That would be sweet :)

Also, I would be very very surprised if any of the hotels in Lancaster would offer any sort of shuttle service to and from an airport hours away (and even less likely it would be free)- Lancaster isnt exactly a tourist hotspot...

EDIT:

Ok I actually looked on the ani-magic site and it turns out there IS a shuttle- and then using the magic of google I found this site:

http://www.avairportexpress.com/

which appears to be the service mentioned on the ani-magic site- it has the same shuttle picture at least- IF that is the case, the rates appear to be $65 round trip (at least thats how I read it)- check out the page, the prices are at the bottom.

Skeptrix
08-01-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by hello kenney

Also, I would be very very surprised if any of the hotels in Lancaster would offer any sort of shuttle service to and from an airport hours away (and even less likely it would be free)- Lancaster isnt exactly a tourist hotspot...

EDIT:

Ok I actually looked on the ani-magic site and it turns out there IS a shuttle- and then using the magic of google I found this site:

http://www.avairportexpress.com/

which appears to be the service mentioned on the ani-magic site- it has the same shuttle picture at least- IF that is the case, the rates appear to be $65 round trip (at least thats how I read it)- check out the page, the prices are at the bottom.

thanks alot kenney.. i was wondering just how much the shuttle was before reading ur post..

KimikoChan
08-01-2003, 04:07 AM
Yep, thanks, that helps a lot ^_^

RuthlessJS
08-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by hello kenney

I will have the Jax costume ready :)
I just bought the latex paints today that I will need(which ended up costing around 120 dollars.....can you believe it...)
I'm going to debut my costume at Animefest over Labor Day weekend. I will post pics in my gallery.

hello kenney
08-02-2003, 02:47 AM
I cant wait to see it! Youll make an awesome Jax - and the first Ive seen as well!

JAX WINS

allyunion
08-30-2003, 03:55 AM
RuthlessJS: for about 6.60, you can get there by bus and train.

Go here: http://latranstar.tann.com/
Enter the starting address as "2627 Hollywood Way"
Starting City: Burbank
Ending Address: 44055 N. Sierra Highway
Ending City: Lancaster

Select your time for your flight accordingly to arrive at the con.

Now, the Metrolink Train is surprisingly... half a mile way! Guess what, the con is down the street!

Mapquest info:
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&ct=NA&1y=US&1a=44812+Sierra+Hwy&1p=&1c=Lancaster&1s=CA&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=44055+N.+Sierra+Highway&2p=&2c=Lancaster&2s=CA&2z=&2ah=&lr=2&x=74&y=18

Psychotic Jei
08-30-2003, 04:00 AM
Just a little warning. The Lancaster line doesnt run on Sundays. :: took teh train up there last year :: It's a nice little train ride though.

BlueLady
08-30-2003, 12:45 PM
did you check this year. I live in santa clarita( 40 minutes from lancaster) and it runs here on sunday. you may want to see if they added a sunday route.

Psychotic Jei
08-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Yeh. The schedule hasn't changed since last year.

allyunion
08-31-2003, 03:59 AM
Posting a link to Metrolink for the schedules...
MetroLink: www.metrolinktrains.com

AM Chair
08-31-2003, 12:08 PM
Anyone contemplating Metrolink should depart Lancaster Monday morning...early. It is feasible to catch an early train, go to Burbank, then pick up a flight to Texas.