PDA

View Full Version : Victorian/Steampunk patterns

fenrishunter500
04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Does anyone happen to know where I can find free patterns for a Victorian era men's frock coat and trousers for a steampunk cosplay? I would be much appreciative for any info I can get, thanks!

MorphineReverie
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't know of any free online, but I do know that a great place to look would be in some of the pattern books at JoAnns, or another fabric store. The ones for Halloween are pretty hefty, and I've seen some nice jacket patterns that seem to fit into the victorian age quite well.

Koumori
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Those are very complicated patterns. Any ones that you can find online are probably going to be copies of originals, which you'll need to scale and fit, and which most likely won't come with instructions. I'd strongly recommend you bite the bullet and buy a pattern.

E. Hyde
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Also, JoAnn's has pattern sales generally once a month, so if you're not extremely picky which brand it is, you should be able to get a pattern for $1.99. Mine is actually having a pattern sale this weekend but I don't know if they're all at the same time.

fenrishunter500
04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
*nodnod*
I've seen some of the patterns, and they look very good, I was just hoping to not have to buy them... oh well, nothing happening there, then.
I'll see if my JoAnn's is having a sale, they just might be, to be honest.
Thanks!

Rayonea
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
This isn't exactly a pattern, but the Costumer's Manifesto has a few issues of the Cutter's Practical Guide (http://www.costumes.org/HISTORY/100pages/1893to1898cuttersguide.htm) available. Part 2 has frock coats and other men's coats, and part 3 has trousers and such. However, they're instructions on how to draft your own, so unless you have experience with technical sewing terms and drafting - or are really patient - this probably is more difficult than getting a pattern.