PDA

View Full Version : Help with Kamatari's "rope"

Hibiki-chan
07-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Hi again everyone!

Now this has really been bothering me over the past few days while designing this portion of the costume and it hit me.

The rope design of Honjo Kamatari's costume in Rurouni Kenshin (Kyoto arc) is reminiscent of Aoi Sakuraba from Ai Yori Aoshi when she starts cleaning the house, and when Kenshin is chopping wood in Samurai X.

Now I know there's a ribbon in Kamatari's rope thing and all that but I want to know how Aoi and Kenshin's "ropes" are tied. I know that Japanese did this to put less effort on their backs but I have no idea where to start, nor how one ties one. If anyone can help on this, that'd solve a major problem in designing this rope rig.

Thank you much in advance!

Karisu-sama
07-31-2003, 07:00 PM
As far as I know, it's designed to keep the dangly kimono sleeves out of the way while working. Sorry I don't know how it's tied, though (I'd love to know when I wear MY kimono! )

Koumori
07-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Normally, the tasuki cord crosses in back and is just tied in a knot or bow at one side of the wearer's shoulder, where s/he can reach it easily. I believe you can see Megumi tying hers in an early episode; you hold one end in your mouth while you wrap it around and then tie it when you're done. Kamatari's gigantic back-bow is something different; I've never seen that anywhere else.

Hibiki-chan
08-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
...Kamatari's gigantic back-bow is something different; I've never seen that anywhere else...

Oh I know, but further investigation led me to believe that the gigantic ribbon design was based on the tasuki cord back tying thing because Kamatari's sleeves are also rolled back similar to how Karisu-sama described it. It's a variation of it -- rather than being tied to the side, it's tied behind and stylized.

I do thank you for pointing out what part of RK I can use for reference for this whole thing! It was quite helpful! I just need to organize it so it ties in a ribbon behind me. Making the ribbon stick up is another story and I'm still kinda trying to figure out how to make it that big.

So much work but I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something ^_^!!! Thanks again for the help!