PDA

View Full Version : Who else loves making original costumes?

alpha_helix
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I'm wondering who else really enjoys making costumes that are their own design in addition to or instead of recreating characters? What do you enjoy about it?

I almost exclusively do originals, mostly because (currently) I'd rather spend my resources on creating my own designs. If I had a lot more time and money, then I would probably have an equal number of original and series-based costumes. What I really like about originals is the design process. I like taking the time to come up with a vision of my own, I guess.

oslapedo
04-13-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't like cosplaying original designs because no one would recognize me, and that's half of the fun. Maybe for a masquerade or something, but I wouldn't do that during normal con hours.

moonflower.
04-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I do both. I like coming up with my own designs, but at the same time there's a real complexity trying to translate something from a drawing, a tv show, or a movie over to real life. I like that challenge.

makotohanabi
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Started out doing recreations, but do more original costuming these days. I'll do a recreation if it catches my attention.

Schuldig_
04-14-2009, 07:27 AM
I've made a few original costumes, but I can't say I prefer it to recreating an already existing design. To me, the challenge cosplay is about taking something 2D and turning it into a functioning costume. But then, I'm not a designer - even my original costumes were based off of something already existing (Lord of the Rings), which also meant they were easily recognised.

Bobbi
05-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I've done one original character design sofar. But I'd already designed the costume for a character a long time ago, and approached it from the angle of recreating a costume from an anime/manga/video game. It was fun to make and wear, and when people asked who I was cosplaying, I gave them a flyer for my webcomic. :)

But people mostly just didn't bother to take pictures of me or ask any questions because they had no idea what I was cosplaying from. So there is that downside. I'd definately wear it again, but more of a Sunday cosplay.