PDA

View Full Version : 1 Upping the Record (Disscussion to Break the VG Character Record)

Raiji Magiwind
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
As the title says, over at the Youmacon boards a recent discussion is making some strong talk at looking to try and break the current record for largest gathering of Video Game Characters, the current record being held by the London MCM Expo with 342 people.

Press on the event In London.. here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7691763.stm
The Youmacon Board Thread: http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4916&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

At this moment myself and Youmacon board member, Tatsu_loves_Akito are looking to be the main organizers to the event though we will happily take other folks to help with this event, if you wan to help. We are currently awaiting response to our inquiries to the DH's of the areas we feel may deal on the gatherings and events in general to see if they too would be willing to support our attempt as well or help us with the best way to gather folks in a area without freaking out he hotel staff and the fire marshal, among other things...After all don't want to get fined for something.

As it stands, once we hear some sort of general response and get any info we might need, I will be officially registering the intent to break the record with the Guinness World Records and begin the processes make our attempt an official try or hopefully new world record.

I will state right now, that those interested be aware, the game characters in question that are accepted are only those that are who ORIGINALLY debuts as a game character, meaning that the character had to start out or be strictly from a game, not say a series that became a game. I will put in more specifics on this once I get the info from GWR after I register the event.

So what say you folks? Interesting in trying to make an attempt at trying to break the current record and take the title from our London pals? Then post away and start discussing your thoughts on this event that could really make Youma '09 even more memorable!!

Tatsu-chan
04-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm tatsu_loves_akito this is my cosplay.com if you want to contact me on here

Chipface
05-28-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm up for it. I'll be cosplaying as Ragna the Blood Edge from BlazBlue for it.

Raiji Magiwind
05-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Well suffice to say we have a long road ahead of us, as since MCM London Expo May '09 just topped there record title from last year, with the record to beat now being, 380 cosplayers!!

So I suggest that folks start calling out to all the video game cosplayers in the area and around the country. We got a serious amount of work to do if we wanna snatch away MCM London Expo's title from them....

Chipface
05-29-2009, 02:07 PM
A few of my friends plan on cosplaying from FFX-2 so I'll see about getting them to take part. I'll also see about getting another one of my friends to cosplay Dante.

Catboi Blues
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I think it's a cool idea, now it's all about getting enough people together in an organized fashion to make it happen. Any word on A-Kon's attempt this past weekend? I know they held the record last year and to my understanding they were looking to keep their record.

patrickbooya
06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm up for it (obviously I have the same name on Youmacon forums)
Leon from RE2 cosplay!

Raiji Magiwind
06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
@ Catboi: None that I'm aware of, but as it stands, unless A-Kon has officially submitted the gathering to GWR for authentication, there record is considered unofficial and not valid. So basically, they may hold the record for largest gathering so to speak, but under GWR, they are unofficial, and as such there record is not valid in regards to our attempt. The most recent official attempt was the one held in Lodon on May 23, 2009 and MCM London Expo. The standing record is about 380 cosplayers.
I would greatly appreciate any help from you and/or any Youmacon staff who would like to help, though if we can either raise money for the Audjucator (approx. $3,000.00 roughly, may be less if they have a New York stationed audjucator come) or if Youma is willing to help with that, then that would be great, as the Audjucator can help a lot with both verifying the event, but also help with any details of the event for any media or press during and after the event and so on...
You can read more on them here:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/adj_application/apply.aspx?lang=

Also feel free to join us over on the Youmacon boards thread along with any other Youma Staff: http://www.youmacon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4916&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Well the beginning phases of Youmacon's planned attempt are underway, and I set up to negin the registration of the event with GWR. With such, I have recieved the initial agreement paperwork that I must sign and fax back to GWR, to begin the next stage of the GWR attempt.

As we begin this process I would like to start talking about what time we want to do the event. I definatly say Saturday, but at what time? Do we want to do the morning or in the afternoon. I figure between either 9am-11am Saturday or between say 3pm-5pm Saturday.

From here I will also post a genral request in the gathering thread for everyone to if possible keep these times open, at least as far as asking if all Major Gatherings can not schedule during this time slot, so we can get as many of the game folks out there.

I will likey also look into putting together a small flyer for folks to print up, and take around to the local comic shops, games stores and if any other US cons want, they can put in there goodies bags...

For those actually interesed in reading the agreement themselves, you may go here:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/member/arra.pdf.

sirchrissypoo
06-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I'll be there on Saturday, I'll be cosplaying as Dan Hibiki from Street Fighter that day, and my friend who's going with me will be there as Ryu from Street Fighter.

sirchrissypoo
06-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Sorry for the double post but is this still going to happen?

Dairylives
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll chip in my Kyo cosplay, or my new secret one.

Raiji Magiwind
06-24-2009, 12:08 AM
SO far, yes. I am currently in the process of waiting on whether our attempt will be classed as official by GWR though. takes a few weeks. Also looking into Adjudication, but if we want that, then unless Youmacon is willing to be gracious and take up that cost, we will need to raise the money for it....

Tatsu-chan
06-24-2009, 12:23 AM
hmm I still think that it should be a little later on because of the factor that we want as many people there so if its a little later on then we can get the people who slept in and the people who showed up late...

Raiji Magiwind
06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
I am looking at aiming for around between 3-5 pm Saturday at the moment...but we have to see where things go as well...

If GWR does approve our attempt, I will likely then also get the Programming and the Event Staff in as well, so they can if needed help us arrange a spot to meet or at least help with organizing stuff around it, plus then they can also perhaps announce it on the portal area so its ont eh main portal page....

Tatsu-chan
06-24-2009, 11:20 PM
yeah agreed and I have some sources I'll go to, and see if we can get help with this, hey I just had an idea, maybe we could get like some local compaies to sponsor us or something if we really wanted to get a judge! I mean if we can't get youma to help out

Raiji Magiwind
07-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Tatsu, why don't you do that. If anything, just for now tell them we are looking at breaking the GWR cosplay record for game characters and if we become an official attempt (once I hear back from them), if they would be interested in helping and what not in some capacity. If they wanna help at the event itself, they yes will need at least a Saturday Youma badge...

Tatsu-chan
07-09-2009, 01:46 AM
okies! but who would I talk to? the store owners right?

Raiji Magiwind
07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah, usually it would be the store owner or district manager or something to that effect. Sometimes there corporate office. All you can do, is say, we are interested in speaking with your manager on the possibility of seeking them as a sponsor to help with covering the cost of the bringing of a GWR judge to Youmacon for a GWR attempt at most Video Game character cosplay. From there, it would be a matter of asking to whom would be the persons to contact in the thought of pursuing that. Mind you tell them we are still in the planning stages, and that we are not certain as of yet if we will be a official attempt yet, but that we wished to look into seeking there aid possibly for the event as part of these planning stages, so that we can know who to keep in our loop of communications and such...