PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh Area Concerns

Foxberry
04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a few things. I've been to Raleigh/Durham area before but not for conventions (mostly to go to Triangle Park) but I know the driving on Capital Boulevard is pretty bad. I'm attending the con that Saturday and I'm driving from Southern Virginia (South Hill area) to Raleigh to attend the con for at least one day. With that in mind, I know I can mapquest it, but it's steered me wrong before, and I literally got lost because of it's whacky directions. Does anyone have a good idea for online directions? (Ie: What's a good map site) I don't have a GPS. (And- am I doomed to go through Capital Boulevard or can I somehow get to the convention center and not deal with the frighteningly-fast-speed boulevard? @.@; Really dislike city traffic. But I can deal.)

Also I need to know where I can get parking in the Raleigh area near the convention center. I'm planning on attending 9am-till (whatever time my sister and I are tired probably 7pm-9pm time). I don't mind if I have to pay like 10-20$ or whatever for "parking for a day" garage type thing. So I'd appreciate it if I could get an idea where I could find something like that near the convention center.

Much thanks in advance!

-Foxberry

Lovelychristina
04-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I know if You take 95 to 40 you can get off on the Exit where you go right by the Hotel I just don't Remember the name of the Dang Exit

Foxberry
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, see I mapquested it and it gave me this:

Turn RIGHT onto US-1/ US-58. 1.0 mi

Turn LEFT onto US-1 (Crossing into NORTH CAROLINA). 9.6 mi

Merge onto I-85 S. 14.9 mi

Merge onto US-1 BYP S via EXIT 218 on the LEFT toward US-1 S/ RALEIGH. 10.6 mi

US-1 BYP S becomes US-1 S. 32.1 mi

Stay STRAIGHT to go onto CAPITAL BLVD/ US-401 S. Continue to follow US-401 S. 4.3 mi

Turn LEFT onto W CABARRUS ST. 0.2 mi

End at 500 S Salisbury St Raleigh, NC 27601

I just wasn't sure if there was a way to avoid Capital Boulevard.

kristyhimura
04-20-2009, 02:51 PM
have you try Google Map? i've use that for my ways to get to places, cuz Map Quest don't always work and on Google map you can pick no Highways or anything.

MissMina2
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
You have to be careful if you use google maps, they use roads that don't exsist yet and might not ever actully.

Foxberry
04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Oh my o__o thank you for the warning MinaUchiha2 ^^; Mapquest tends to do that too... But I think they gave me authentic roads this time lol

djkidna
04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
All map sites do that. That's why I use two or three maps for the same travel and compare them to see if they match up. At least with Google Maps you get a satellite view to verify things.

Lovelychristina
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
If I can get Up there I'll Find the Road name That Way we are sure were it leads

Foxberry
04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Much thanks yous guys ^_^

TenkanTamago
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
I know if You take 95 to 40 you can get off on the Exit where you go right by the Hotel I just don't Remember the name of the Dang Exit

This is no longer the case sadly. When we were still at the Sheraton in Durham it was easy, now I'm not so sure.

I HATE driving in Raleigh, the only place I hate more is Charlotte. I checked a couple different sites and that's looking like the most direct route. I'm sorry. At least it's just a few miles on Capital. @_@ Worse comes to worst just flick on your hazards and go at the speed you feel comfortable.

Foxberry
04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah I was talking to my Dad about it, he said that I have no way around Capital and that the Route1 area is part of capital one. But I may have to do what you suggested. Also I'm leaving my house around 6:30-7am to be there by 9 so maybe the traffic won't be too bad on a saturday morning opposed to that of a weekday. (I've been through it before and seen enough on WRAL to know how crappy the traffic is. >>; Since it's the only channel that includes Mecklenburg County VA in their weather X3 ) Anyway thanks again,

jbl4me
04-25-2009, 12:52 AM
sorry, I misread...

gothicadam
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
forget taking 95 all the way down to benson nc thats so out of the way just take 95 to 85 to durham and get raleigh that way

Foxberry
05-22-2009, 02:03 AM
Actually it's easier for us to just go on Route-1 rather than the 85 route. Since we're going to be on Capital Boulevard regardless. However my dad wants to go to Raleigh to go to that really big flea-market anyway, so he's driving down and we're following him in the second vehicle. X3