PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Wigs

Nataku7
08-01-2003, 10:48 PM
I plan on making a manga character's wig out of strips of silky thick fabric sewn into 2 inch wide tendrils and attached up inside the hat that also goes with the costume.

I've looked for the wig in this color, which is a very minty green, and I have yet to find the exact color.

I haven't heard of anyone else ever doing this. Is it a bad idea? I think using good fabric would be pretty, especially since anime characters' hair really does look like silky tendrils on screen.

Has anyone else out there tried this? If so, was your experience good or bad? Any comments are well received. ^_^

Ruby-Chan
08-01-2003, 11:49 PM
www.amphigory.com and www.tartblossom.com have many wigs colours if you haven't checked them yet. but as for good idea/bad idea, the whole point of cosplay is being innovative, so i say if you have what you think is a neat idea, roll with it.

Koumori
08-02-2003, 08:10 AM
It sounds okay to me - but could you color a wig instead? Some people have had a lot of success coloring wigs with Sharpie markers and/or acrylic paint - there are several threads about wig coloring in this section.

hoshikage
08-02-2003, 10:34 AM
If you want to do hair this way, I'd just offer a caution that you'll need to make sure to make the hat looser than when it just needs to fit on your head - all that fabric will add a surprising amount of bulk (it may also be substantially heavier than a wig would be), and if you make the hat to fit your head and then add all the fabric, it most likely won't fit on your head anymore. Just a word of warning. :)

Sarcasm-hime
08-02-2003, 02:04 PM
I've seen some really nice spiky wigs made of stuffed fabric, so I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. ^_^

Nataku7
08-11-2003, 02:26 AM
Thanks everyone and a special thanks to hoshikage for the advice:

"If you want to do hair this way, I'd just offer a caution that you'll need to make sure to make the hat looser than when it just needs to fit on your head - all that fabric will add a surprising amount of bulk (it may also be substantially heavier than a wig would be), and if you make the hat to fit your head and then add all the fabric, it most likely won't fit on your head anymore. Just a word of warning."

I hadn't really weighed a prototype of the hat/hair piece of the costume but I will now. THanks again! ^_^

Mythril
08-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Another thing to consider is the type of fabric your using. Fabric (especially special occasion) tends to fray like nobody's business. What might have started out as a 2 inch piece might be down to one by the end of the night. Fabric is funny. So test it out some before you start the big project.

--If you MUST use a fraying fabric for the purpose of colors... May I suggest a glue they sell in fabric stores to stop fraying? It might take a while to edge every piece of "hair" but it is better to have hair than have fabric with random strings hanging down everywhere.