PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek cosplay?

Maalie
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen many Star trek cosplays. Is anyone doing one? Or want to do one? Right now I am currently working on Christine Chapel or more formally known are Nurse Chapel or Miss Chapel from the original series. :3

Jersey13
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I think Star Trek uniforms (from any one of the series, really) have been so overdone and are so common at sci-fi conventions that not a whole lot of people have a lot of respect for them any more. But I haven't seen any Nurse Chapel costumes despite being in the fandom for quite a long time, so with the new movie out, it just might make a come-back. :)

Maalie
04-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Well I haven't actually been to a sci-fi convention so I haven't really seen anyone with Star Trek cosplay. >> Yeah not a lot of people do Nurse Chapel costumes, though I have seen a mirror universe one... Any way I do hope it comes back! I would love to see people doing the uniforms in the new movie!

AVAAntares
04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Star Trek costumes still show up at Sci-Fi and gaming conventions, but of course they're less common at anime cons. I see a decent number at Gen Con; I have a photo of CosPinay with a Spock (http://g.imagehost.org/0442/spock.jpg) from last year, and the year before there was a great duo from the original series in the costume contest.

If the new movie is good, I think you'll see a resurgence in costumes from ALL series of Star Trek. ^_^

~H~
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I just LOVE the original series dresses! I bought one several years ago, and usually have at least one opportunity to break it out every year ^_^.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/148935/

I'll have to upload some new photos of my non-vulcan look.

I can't wait to see your Nurse Chapel costume!

Maalie
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
AVAAntares: Wow that's a great spock! I really hope to see new cosplay from the new movie.

~H~: Oh I love them too! Yours looks great! :3 Yeah, I can't wait to be Christine, though I'm pretty sure no one will recognize who I am cosplaying ... Oh well I just think being able to cosplay Christine will be fun. I adore her.~

~H~
05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I just uploaded a pic of my non-Vulcan Star Trek Officer outfit last night ^_^.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2020215/

Koumori
05-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Little-known fact: my very first costume ever was an Uhura dress.

alpha_helix
05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I was just thinking of making a thread about this!

After seeing the new movie twice already, I'm definitely inspired. At some point, my bestest friend and I are making the robes that the Vulcan schoolkids wore. I'm really kicking myself for already having too much on my plate for Dragon Con! Maybe this can be my back up plan if I get frustrated with my armor and put it on hiatus for a few months (again).

Garuda_Aiacos
05-12-2009, 02:05 AM
I hope one day to be able to afford the Dress Uniform. ;)

For now, am making do with the "New" Uniform from the new movie gotten as part of mass order by a friend in Malaysia.

Maalie
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
~H~ - You look adorable! :3
Alpha_helix - Oh! I would love to see that!

AnimegirlParnaz
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
I have cosplayed as a DS9 Star Fleet Captain at the Star Trek con last year and again this year in Las Vegas.

Artema
05-18-2009, 02:09 AM
I've had Spock on my list since January. I'm actually glad that work and travel has interfered with any progress I would otherwise have made, since I've seen how very different the new uniforms are from the Prime!uniforms.

I'm a little concerned about finding material that has the right pattern- the new shirts/dresses all have the little Starfleet arrowhead symbol as a pattern on them. Dx If I have to just purchase it ready-made I will, but I don't want it to be the generic Halloween costumeish one because those are really inferior- the material is far too shiny/thin and they lack the proper seams.

Mrrrr. Any help, people? D:

ETA: Ahahahaha! Spoke a bit too soon. x3

Found a fantastic uniform guide (http://www.startrekuniformguide.com/2009.html) along with a basic pattern, but be forewarned: it only covers the mens' shirts.

It also has the delta pattern for the fabric, which is apparently super/heavyweight spandex. Faboo.

Garuda_Aiacos
05-18-2009, 02:22 AM
For mine, it's one of those fabrics with tiny holes in it (like one of those light t-shirts or games jersey). It kinda pass casual fan eyes but ya, it lack the tiny arrowhead symbol.

dothey
05-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I am planning to do this cosplay also. And I asked cosplayfu to do commission for me. I am looking forward to that.

E. Hyde
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
For the Next Gen uniforms, the men eventually switched to two-piece uniforms instead of the jumpsuits, but did the women always wear jumpsuits? Thanks.

~H~
06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
So far as I can recall, I think you're right about the ladies retaining their jumpsuits. I remember Marlena Sirtis talking on the commentary about how she was "melted down and poured into her jumpsuit every day".....(joking about how skin-tight the ladies outfits are). ^_-

Princess Blade
06-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm glad to see some Star Trek cosplayers here. :) I have a question, though - do any of you have any idea on how to make the Starfleet Academy uniform jacket from the 2009 movie? My concern is the front closure. It looks so seamless, but it just doesn't look like they put a zipper in there. =/ (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/nightsky386/68227026.jpg) Or, if they did, any idea on how to hide it that well?

Also, was anyone successful in finding similar material for the Enterprise uniforms? I heard something about it being heavyweight spandex, and that there's some sports-related fabric with a diamond pattern that could pass as the delta symbol... something like that. :)

Thanks!!

E. Hyde
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I think it could easily be done with an invisible zipper. Just make sure you use an invisible zipper foot, they work very well. Here's another pic: http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/f/f7/James_T._Kirk_in_cadet%27s_dress_uniform.jpg

(On a related note -- I was reading a book, published while the original series was still on the air, about the making of the show, and it mentioned that they didn't use any visible zippers in the uniforms because they figured by the 23rd century no one would be using zippers anymore. And then they turn around and use very obvious center front/back zippers in Next Gen. This sort of amused me.)

Haven't been looking for the textured spandex, I'm afraid.

Prota-Girl
06-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, I recently did one of a somewhat female Spock. It was pretty popular at Metrocon, but I am unsure I'll wear it again. ^^ I'll try to post pics sooner or later. But you all look awesome. :D

Benihime78
06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Way back in the '80s, my mom made a Star Trek(original series) costume for a group that she and her friends did one Halloween. It's now mine and whenever I have the chance to wear it, I do XD. I've worn it to school for some of the dress-up days, and of course to the movie premiere like here:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj161/Benihime78/4693_1052993858012_1620752191_15062.jpg
(my boyfriend at the time took it with his phone, so it's a little blurry)

godmi
06-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm really glad I found this thread! I've got my Christine Chapel cosplay in the works right now. One of my friends is doing Android Andrea, so we're hoping to get some great photos together.

I'll try to get pics posted of my progress sometime soon; Christine's dress is the only thing I'm worried about. Andrea's jumpsuit / coverall thing is going to be a cinch.

Garuda_Aiacos
06-29-2009, 09:34 AM
For mine, it's one of those fabrics with tiny holes in it (like one of those light t-shirts or games jersey).

Okay, I think the material is called Athletic Mesh :
http://www.spandexhouse.com/products.asp?id=62&pname=Athletic%20Mesh

One thing I hate about it is that it's a bit shiny. In some photos, I thot my bra was showing underneath my shirt :eek: (as I gotten a fitted one) but it's actually reflections from the flash photography.

HRHMrsBrown
07-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm glad to see some Star Trek cosplayers here. :) I have a question, though - do any of you have any idea on how to make the Starfleet Academy uniform jacket from the 2009 movie? My concern is the front closure. It looks so seamless, but it just doesn't look like they put a zipper in there. =/ (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/nightsky386/68227026.jpg) Or, if they did, any idea on how to hide it that well?

Also, was anyone successful in finding similar material for the Enterprise uniforms? I heard something about it being heavyweight spandex, and that there's some sports-related fabric with a diamond pattern that could pass as the delta symbol... something like that. :)

Thanks!!

I've actually been trying to put together a new cadet uniform myself. Some high-res images taken at one of the CA premieres shows that the zipper is either an invisible zipper, or has been put in backwards to keep it flat. The image I've seen leads me to believe it was put in backwards. (The pic is available at the blog, "Jason in Hollywood": http://jasoninhollywood.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-star-trek-movie-boldly-warps-ahead.html)

The other detail I've been having trouble with is the detail on the seaming. Granted, I've been working with broadcloth, making a muslin, so the drape isn't quite right, but the way the seams appear to be stitched and then tucked and topstitched is giving me quite a headache.

For base patterns, I've been playing with two: New Look 6519 and 6852. I've been butchering 6519 for the past week, and getting okay results. Until I get the stitching method properly figured, I can't say for sure if this is the one I'll use. It does, however, come with a skirt pattern, so that's part of the attraction. =) Going to try working with 6852 this weekend.

For the material, I first thought to use some heavier, matte finish poly satin...and it would work okay. I decided that I would try some tropical weight wool instead, and then stumbled upon this gorgeous wool/silk blend that, without a costume card to compare it to, is as close to screen accurate as I can get -- it has the right drape, the right sheen, and the color variations I've seen in the high-res images.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!

Fessdapfrisc
06-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Quite honestly, I feel like yes they're overdone but it's a fun little thing to wear to a con. Like you probably won't get a lot of attention but you'll look like a fan! : D That's my take on it at least

LD-Shine
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
I decided to revive this thread right now because I plan on doing a Doctor McCoy cosplay at the next two conventions I planned to go to. Does anyone know where I could find the short sleeved blue shirt that McCoy often wears in TOS??? I can only find the regular blue long sleeved, and the blue pain t-shirts.

McCoy's is like, shiny, and has the black turtleneck underneath and such. Hard to find!

Perhaps Ill have it custom made, because Dammit I'm a Doctor not a Seamster!

Madenice
06-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm planning to do a VOY/DS9 commando and an engineer cosplay ^^ I don't see that often Trekkies, but I sure love them. At Facts there a few, and at FedCon they are many, but that's just too expensive for me :p

JordanExcelsior
06-16-2011, 05:27 AM
I want to do a 2009 McCoy, trying to figure out how to find/put together the 2009 uniform.

heeroluva
07-22-2011, 04:33 PM
It's kind of sad that this isn't more popular.

audrey12345
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I've done Uhura. I usually wear it to 2 or 3 cons a year.

MissWartooth
07-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Augh invisible zippers!
LD-Shine - I definitely laughed at your modified quote :P
If anyone goes to Otakon tomorrow they'll have to holler at me, I'll be the disoriented awkward Vulcan.

tereshkova2001
08-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I just completed my TOS minidress in Command gold. It's the most comfortable sexy dress I've ever worn, I have to say. The jersey knit is so soft and nice, and it took the yellow dye fabulously. I'll have to post pictures after the con.

browncoatnaruto
08-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying a Genderbend version of Dr McCoy next year from TOS and I can't quite figure out the character's eye colour. In some shots McCoy's eyes look green, and in others blue. Does anybody know for sure by any chance?

Stormraven24
08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
^ I believe he has blue eyes.