PDA

View Full Version : Air Gear Mikan's Hat <--- Help please!

strifestreak
05-02-2009, 09:57 AM
My friend is cosplaying Mikan from Air Gear and we're having troubles with her hat. I tried using a 'neko' hat pattern but the ears are too prominant and she looks weird. I've been using felt. Can anyone give me some advice/a pattern that I can use? Thanks guys.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/HoshinoNatsuki/Air%20Gear/mikan.png
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn247/Shame-Regalia/mikan_32_animestockscom.jpg

strifestreak
05-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Gaaaah. Hellllpppppp. -dies-

Hissora
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Not really a 'prop'....

but i'll try to help anyways.

What i would try to do is just find\make a pattern for a beanie and then add the small ears at the top.

strifestreak
05-03-2009, 12:19 AM
It is a prop. And even if it's not, the forum is called props and accessories, which it is.

Bandersnatch
05-03-2009, 01:53 AM
"Prop" generally refers more to things like weapons or external aspects of a costume, so I wouldn't really call a hat a prop. That said, it's an accessory, much like a ring or badge would be.

As for the hat, rather than making a beanie and sewing the ears on externally (which would make for them being very obvious), try just making the hat more rectangular, instead of a standard curve. That way, when worn, the part that actually goes on your head will stretch into a standard beanie-ish shape, and the corners of the rectangle will end up little pockets that will resemble conical ears.

choco-miruku
05-03-2009, 03:05 AM
I like the idea above better. I was just going to say to downsize the size of the ears on the pattern you had. xD

strifestreak
05-04-2009, 05:28 PM
"Prop" generally refers more to things like weapons or external aspects of a costume, so I wouldn't really call a hat a prop. That said, it's an accessory, much like a ring or badge would be.

As for the hat, rather than making a beanie and sewing the ears on externally (which would make for them being very obvious), try just making the hat more rectangular, instead of a standard curve. That way, when worn, the part that actually goes on your head will stretch into a standard beanie-ish shape, and the corners of the rectangle will end up little pockets that will resemble conical ears.

Ah yes! That makes sense. I will try that then. Thanks so much X3

AyameChan
08-07-2009, 02:09 AM
I'd say sew two rectangles together as well. Maybe make it like a couple of small peaks if you wanted more of a shape, that's what I'm planning on for my Ringo cosplay, since they're basically the same coat and hat.