PDA

View Full Version : My First Costume-Con. Boom, baby!

HeeroJF
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I want to thank everyone for an amazing time at my first Costume-con and for making me feel part of a new, wonderful family.

If that wasn't your intention, then consider me the annoying ex-brother-in-law who keeps crashing family gatherings uninvited to constantly rant about new upgrades to his lawnmower. 'Cause I'm totally coming back. Not sure when, but I am.

Hello to all the great friends I re-connected with, and salutations to all the new, awesomely talented acquaintances I made. I'm hoping I'll be able to track down most of you (through degrees of separation of mutual acquaintances, hopefully). For one thing, anyone reading this who's friends with Leia the Leprechaun from Saturday night and her entourage, please transmit my best wishes to them.

...and sorry for being an Alien who demanded a lot of attention in the Green Room.

Fire Lily
05-04-2009, 05:40 PM
JF - you were such an awesome King, Alien, and English dude. Really enjoyed meeting you and the rest of the Canadians ^.^

Met a lot of super awesome people (The Hag, Sarcasm-hime, Morgan from Historical Masque, JF, Ian, etc) and got to see some old friends, including Marty and Ricky ^.^ Tons of beautiful costumes - you guys made me feel so underdressed for the occasion.

gamergirlx
05-04-2009, 05:52 PM
It was my first costume-con as well and I was floored by the outfits everyone had. I'll be sure to enter more things next time, but I really just wanted to get a feel for how things are done. I met a bunch of great people, and found out how small of a world it really is. I guess I should finish up the website for cc29 soon so you'll all plan on coming back up this way. :)

HeeroJF
05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks to you both! Looks like we shared a very positive first-time experience. Us, and many other Baltimore/DC-area opportunists like us! I don't know about you guys but I plan on traveling to future CCs whenever possible! I was never really interested into original designs, but after CC, I think I now have the bug. I already have ideas for the future folio and historical masquerade I can't wait to put in effect.

dreadpiraterose
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks to you both! Looks like we shared a very positive first-time experience. Us, and many other Baltimore/DC-area opportunists like us! I don't know about you guys but I plan on traveling to future CCs whenever possible! I was never really interested into original designs, but after CC, I think I now have the bug. I already have ideas for the future folio and historical masquerade I can't wait to put in effect.

I met you! I have pictures of you!:

The Costume-Con 27 Con Report (http://conventionfans.today.com/2009/05/04/costume-con-27-convention-report/)

dreadpiraterose
05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
It just occurred to me that I actually interviewed Sarcasm-hime for my blog a few months ago and didn't even recognize it was her at the con, and I also took a picture of Fire Lily at CC27 (and she was nominated for my blog's Hottest Cosplayer contest). I didn't even know I was taking picture of you all! What a small world!

Crazy Flower
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, it just confirms that I need to go to Quebec one of these days to see the French Canadian contingent. You all rocked!

I met a bunch of people over the weekend, and holy crap, do I have work to do. (Not sure if I'm gonna go to Milwaukee, but will definitely will be in Jersey in '11)

I hate you all! You have me hooked!

4aks
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi - I have a few photos online from the Masquerade ... more coming later in the week.

I'll compile links to my galleries here: (Part 1 is up now)

http://4aks.org/r1/conphotos/

I really enjoyed seeing all the great outfits!

JonnyStarwind
05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
It was my first Costume-Con as well.
And I believe everyone here recognizes me as the Pip Bernadette wandering around on Saturday.
Pics will be up by the end of this week.

alpha_helix
05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
This was my first Costume Con too, and I had a great time! I didn't actually meet anyone from this site, except for one person whose name I forgot, but I did see a lot of people I recognized.

By the way, congrats to the Canadians, you guys kicked major butt!

stardust462
05-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Costume Con was amazing. I loved seeing all the different, incredible costumes. It was great to meet some of you, and I would have liked to have talked with more of you. It was great to see the cosplay community well represented, and to get such a positive response from everyone about cosplay. I'll be putting my pictures up either tonight or tomorrow.

HeeroJF
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Stardust, you're the Cornelia I spoke to?? High Five!!! And you have a Lucca cosplay? Too sweet....

Fire Lily
05-05-2009, 12:10 AM
This was my first Costume Con too, and I had a great time! I didn't actually meet anyone from this site, except for one person whose name I forgot, but I did see a lot of people I recognized.

Actually, you were right next to me in the Historic Masque Green room... You had the blue dress and red hair, and I was in the green dress and the top hat ^.^

Crazy Flower
05-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Were you the one with the elaborate diamond shaped pattern on the back? I *loved* that pattern!

I was the one wearing the blue and magenta three tiered dress.

stardust462
05-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Stardust, you're the Cornelia I spoke to?? High Five!!! And you have a Lucca cosplay? Too sweet....
That was me :) . I was thinking of bringing Lucca, but my helmet needs some work and I didn't get around to it. It was so awesome to talk with you!

alpha_helix
05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Okay, so I did meet more peoples from here than I realized.

Were you the one with the elaborate diamond shaped pattern on the back? I *loved* that pattern!

I was the one wearing the blue and magenta three tiered dress.

I loved that one! <333

Atrista
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
I was there and had a lovely time, it was my first CostumeCon as well. Many thanks to FireLily for convincing me to go ;) I think my favorite part was talking in the halls with everyone about the details and challenges of their own costumes. I'll likely skip next year, but I don't think I can resist the Broadway theme of 29!

Fire Lily
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm so glad you came - And I'm really happy you won some awards for your FFF costume. Your coat was phenomenal! When I saw you walk in the green room, I knew you were going to win something for it :)

If I do end up going to 29, I hope it'll be on a better weekend for me... Rain and personal issues did not make this con a lot of fun, though I'm soo glad I got to see a lot of my friends - I had a wonderful time with you all!!!!!

trixyloupwolf
05-05-2009, 09:28 PM
yeah many new friends ^^

miss ya all already ^^

HeeroJF
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
That was me :) . I was thinking of bringing Lucca, but my helmet needs some work and I didn't get around to it. It was so awesome to talk with you!

And I just realized now you were the Terra, too, weren't you??? You were on my list of people I needed to track down to congratulate but never found, because you totally made my day by showing up with a FF6 character!!!

Plan on wearing it again in the future?

HeeroJF
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
If I do end up going to 29, I hope it'll be on a better weekend for me... Rain and personal issues did not make this con a lot of fun, though I'm soo glad I got to see a lot of my friends - I had a wonderful time with you all!!!!!

Sorry to hear that... Hope things look up for you.

4aks
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I put the rest of my photos online -- including the Masquerade award winners :)

CapsuleCorp
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
HAI GAIZ!!! :D Wow, I did actually meet most of you, in some form or another! I really should do better about introducing myself, but most of the time I'm just happy getting to talk to people about their costumes. Fire Lily, your historical dress was AMAZING. gamergirlx - all of your costumes are so awesome. I'm still trying to piece together who was wearing what...

...by the way, I was at alternate points, Hiei, Tachibana from scryed, Yami Yugi, and Geddoe from Suikoden III, with the Suikoden III Bishop in the SF/F masq.

JF dude...what a time to run into each other, eh? :D It was good to see you again! And everybody else too. If I hadn't been sick Friday and most of Saturday, I would have been more enthused, but things defintely picked up.

I hope to see more of you guys in Milwaukee. GreenFire and I dragged our butts all the way to Baltimore, you can make it out by us next year!!

trixyloupwolf
05-05-2009, 11:52 PM
waa i wanted a picture but wqs too busy =_=
i saw your yugi outfit i love your wig ^^

i be there next year
you should all come to otakuthon ^^ nya
we drive 15 hour to get to baltimore ^^ so you can do it too ^^ hehe!

i also will be at worldcon this year too ^^;;;
whos coming there too ???

HeeroJF
05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
JF dude...what a time to run into each other, eh? :D It was good to see you again! And everybody else too. If I hadn't been sick Friday and most of Saturday, I would have been more enthused, but things defintely picked up.

Heyyy, Stacy!! Knew you'd show up here eventually! Wow, awesome surprise. Truly this was the stuff memories are made of.

Actually I came up with a better slogan some days ago: "Neurons, it's what memories are made of." But it feels somehow less romanced that the other...

One of your costumes was from Scryed? I didn't notice! I've seen some of that, actually. I loved all your Suikoden things.

No flag, no biscuit.

Sarcasm-hime
05-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Actually, you were right next to me in the Historic Masque Green room... You had the blue dress and red hair, and I was in the green dress and the top hat ^.^

Holy crap I totally did not realize that was you. Your green ensemble was friggin' AWESOME and I wish I'd gone up to tell you that. I can be kind of shy talking to people I don't know well, so in future I entreat everybody to come up to me and force me to talk to you. ;D

I was so happy to see so many cosplayers come out and give it a try; I knew you'd all get hooked! XD As for me, I intend to hit every CC come rain, shine, snow, tornado...

Buddycat
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Glad I was able to meet you, JF. We had a good time shooting the breeze with you and some of the Canadians, and hope maybe you'll also come to St. Louis some time to see Archon.

Kaijugal
05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
It was great meeting all you who were new to Costume Con !!!

(And nice seeing those of you I already knew again too!)

Thanks for coming ! Hope to see you all at future costume cons!

~Kaijugal (The non french Canadian) XD

trixyloupwolf
05-06-2009, 08:49 PM
~Kaijugal (The non french Canadian) XD

lol ya know some french so its ok ^^

hug!

Buddycat
05-06-2009, 09:45 PM
BTW, Nora wants me to say "hey" to you and all of her new French Canadian friends.

trixyloupwolf
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
yeah nora was really nice ^^

Bruno
05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It was my 8th CostumeCon. I actually remember most of you from last weekend.

CapsuleCorp
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
NO FLAG, NO BISCUIT! That's my new slogan. Yes, the purple-haired guy I was wearing Sunday night is from s-cry-ed! Josianne got it, so there. :D

And thanks Trixy! You have such interesting costumes. Congrats on all your awards!

...now we'd better see you guys in Milwaukee!

HeeroJF
05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
BTW, Nora wants me to say "hey" to you and all of her new French Canadian friends.

Oh wait... you're not Nora?? You mentioned St-Louis and Archon so I assumed you were... Your profile's a little bare so I'm having a hard time guessing who you are exactly.

At any rate I do appreciate the warm welcome. I'll definitely have to give a thought to more of these out-of-town cons, if travel and schedule allows.

HeeroJF
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
NO FLAG, NO BISCUIT! That's my new slogan. Yes, the purple-haired guy I was wearing Sunday night is from s-cry-ed! Josianne got it, so there. :D

And thanks Trixy! You have such interesting costumes. Congrats on all your awards!

Hey! No fair comparing French Canadians to each other. :P I only saw enough of Scryed to understand the main pairing. I don't remember what either of them looks like (other than the obvious crazy techno-arm thingie).

Eheh! When I paid a photographer to come take some headshots for my actor's resume last night, he asked me to think of something funny to get a good smiling shot. Guess what I thought of to give me the best uncontrollable laugh!! NO FLAG NO BISCUIT!

HeeroJF
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I put the rest of my photos online -- including the Masquerade award winners :)

4aks, you got great pictures! Mind if I take some of these for my own picture album on my website, too? I couldn't carry my camera while in my Kuzco or Alien costume so there's a whole bunch of great costumes I couldn't get.

Bruno
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh wait... you're not Nora?? You mentioned St-Louis and Archon so I assumed you were... Your profile's a little bare so I'm having a hard time guessing who you are exactly.

No, it's Nora's handler. :crylaugh:

HeeroJF
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
... her cat?

Sarcasm-hime
05-06-2009, 11:37 PM
LOL it's Bruce. You know, the tall kind of scary-looking guy who judged with me. XD

Kaijugal
05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
LOL it's Bruce. You know, the tall kind of scary-looking guy who judged with me. XD
Bruce isn't scary-looking. :P He's a sweetie. :)

Ho-ho, All this talk about the "new" canadians. I feel like we're the old cats and the new, cute, kittens have just arrived on the scene. :D LOL!

I am really, super glad that so many of our cosplay friends came! :) I hope everyone had a good time. :)

trixyloupwolf
05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
NO FLAG, NO BISCUIT! That's my new slogan. Yes, the purple-haired guy I was wearing Sunday night is from s-cry-ed! Josianne got it, so there.

sure sure ^^
were supose to come again it was so fun

btw ya have a picture i forgot to easeli faces or name =_= shame on me ^^;;;;;
and thanks ^^;;

hope it have more of the theme costume then medieval dress ^^;; hehe!
otherwise why put a theme if there no one doing it ^^;;;; right ^^
nya!
cna't wait to see many many new costume idee^^
shrug ^^;;
friendly
trixy

Buddycat
05-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I"m crushed! Okay, so I don't always smile a lot - people think I"m unhappy or bored. That's just usually my "relaxed" look.

JF: Perhaps this might refresh your memory - http://www.casamai.com/slcg/sartoraeus_pike.htm

The Hag
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I loved your cat herders! Nora's firefly catcher and The Beautiful People group were two of my favorites in the masquerades. (My room was right across the hall from you guys and I accosted you a couple of times ^_^ )

All the Canadians (French and otherwise) were awesome! Yay Canada!

Kaijugal
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I loved your cat herders! Nora's firefly catcher and The Beautiful People group were two of my favorites in the masquerades. (My room was right across the hall from you guys and I accosted you a couple of times ^_^ )

All the Canadians (French and otherwise) were awesome! Yay Canada!

Hey Hag!
Great finally getting to meet you, even if it was only briefly. Sarcasm & I thought we'd bump into you again but never did. :( Ah well! I hope you make it to the next CC. :)
~Kai

RaDragon76
05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry I had to sit this one out but I'll see all of you guys next year. Sounds like everyone had a blast though and that is as it should be. The ICG is not a scary group, except maybe for Bruce. :toothy:

4aks
05-07-2009, 06:10 PM
4aks, you got great pictures! Mind if I take some of these for my own picture album on my website, too? I couldn't carry my camera while in my Kuzco or Alien costume so there's a whole bunch of great costumes I couldn't get.

Absolutely :) Have fun with them - you had a great gizmo alien !

Crazy Flower
05-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Chatting it up with Nora, CapsuleCorp, and the French Canadians on Sunday night was lovely.

(And I want that book of quotes!)

AnimatedPoison
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey Hag!
Sarcasm & I thought we'd bump into you again but never did. :(
~Kai

Don't feel too bad about that. Even her roommates couldn't find her half the time all weekend, and she was one of the few NOT costuming! :rolleyes: lol

The Hag
05-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Yes, and in retaliation they made me stay up WAY past my usual bedtime and when I complained about being tired they'd say, "Stop being so old!" :crylaugh:

I did talk with a lot of people - just no one for very long, I'm sorry to say, what with so many things going on.

Kaijugal and Sarcasm-Hime, I'm glad that we at least got to chance to meet. Plans for how to get to Anime North sometime are under discussion. :)

von Drago
05-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi hi hi, everyone! Look at me - I'm on cosplay.com!!!

I joined yesterday so I can keep in touch with everyone of you I met at CC27. I didn't join before because of the sheer volume so I may stay in this topic area only but at least I can talk to some of you here.

Hi JF, hi Lani! Hope I'm not violating any protocol by using your real names, I don't know all your "tags" yet.

HeeroJF
05-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Well, now that you've used my real name I have to move to Khazakstan and alter my appearance surgically, but other than that you're peachy.

^_~

Glad you have you here!
J-F

LadyoftheThread
05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
This was also my first Costume Con and I really enjoyed it. ^_^ Lots of panels to choose from and more relaxing than an anime con.

It was nice to see people I hadnít seen for a year or two like Kaijugal, Sarcasm-Hime, and SailorMo. Plus to meet new people like Gravely, CapsuleCorp, Greenfire, Tikki, Fire Lily, The Hag, Gamergirlx, Stardust462, and Trixy. Hope I didnít forget anyone. ^_^;;

trixyloupwolf
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
yeah nice to have met ya LadyoftheThread ^^ your costume were awsome ^^
ya look a lot shy dought and sorry if i did not talk a lot because of thats ^^;;

but yeah was pleasant for the eye to see cool costume ^^;; nya!

Kaijugal
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Sorry I had to sit this one out but I'll see all of you guys next year. Sounds like everyone had a blast though and that is as it should be. The ICG is not a scary group, except maybe for Bruce. :toothy:

Yeah we missed you ! I was saying it was wierd with you not being there. :( I hope to see you next !) :D

RaDragon76
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks! Khene and I were really crunched for money this time round but we are coming for sure next year, especially since it's a bit closer to us. We even have almost all our costume plans decided on, which is a little creepy if you ask me. :) Haven't even finished this years plans and we've already decided on next year's stuff too.

Kaijugal
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi hi hi, everyone! Look at me - I'm on cosplay.com!!!

I joined yesterday so I can keep in touch with everyone of you I met at CC27. I didn't join before because of the sheer volume so I may stay in this topic area only but at least I can talk to some of you here.

Hi JF, hi Lani! Hope I'm not violating any protocol by using your real names, I don't know all your "tags" yet.

Welcome aboard Nora! :bigtu:

ZensunniStJames
05-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I want to thank everyone for an amazing time at my first Costume-con and for making me feel part of a new, wonderful family.

If that wasn't your intention, then consider me the annoying ex-brother-in-law who keeps crashing family gatherings uninvited to constantly rant about new upgrades to his lawnmower. 'Cause I'm totally coming back. Not sure when, but I am.

J-F! thank you so much for letting me dress you up!
I'm so glad your first CC was fun!

HeeroJF
05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey, Bethany! Glad to see you here! Well I was glad to help. Your outfits deserved to be shown. Would've been a bummer to let a whole year go by before they got their due attention.

The Hag
05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Nora! Welcome to the jungle. Nah, it's not that bad here. Well, no, actually - it's pretty bad! :crylaugh: But this particular sub-forum is safe. Lots of people know my name, but most people don't know what I look like so I don't have to move to Kazakhstan with JF!

LadyoftheThread - it was great to meet you. I look forward to seeing you again at Anime Boston in - GAH! A week and a half! Too much left to do .....