PDA

View Full Version : OMG stories? Costume woes...

Tikki
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Now that CC is gone and done, secret costume projects have been revealed and we've all had a few days to relax, I'm curious if there's any one with a story or anecdote about the costumes they made for the con?

Several of my friends already heard this story at the con, but I thought I'd share the moment since I can look back and chuckle about all the stress around something for my Chun Li costume that SHOULD have been simple. Shoes. Yes, shoes... In this alternate costume, Chun Li wears simple red ballet flats. Yeah, should be simple to find! Looked in my area and to no avail, so I went to the internet with plenty of time until the con. First week of April and I manage to find lovely red ballet flats on Target's website, place my order, and wait. And wait. One week... two weeks... the week before the con... still no shoes. So I check the status of my shoes and they're back-orderd, with a ship date between May 5 to June 5th, right after the convention. Thank you, Target, for sending ABSOLUTELY NO NOTIFICATION. So I scramble into the wee hours of the night scouring for similar shoes, find something comprable in my price range and pay extra for fast shipping, get the second pair of shoes only to try on the left side and it's tight. Painfully tight when I put any weight on my foot. I grumble... then remember some crappy slippers I'd dyed for a costume many years ago and decide they're my Plan C shoes. Out of curiousity, I check the Target order the Monday before the con and discover they've been shipped! Yay, I think to myself... only to get to Thursday and the UPS tracking has 'em in Richmond. Friday morning has them in my area, on delivery... by 6 PM. By then, the tight shoes are looking better than the raggy slippers, so I try them on again, and discover that the right foot is two sizes too large. Yep, got one in a 7 1/2 and the other was a 9.... I was pissed!
So I rearrange my entire morning and delay heading for the con several hours in order to be home for the shoes. I gave up around 1 pm, and drove off. I called my boyfriend mid-trip to see if he'd drive up and meet me later that night to pass along my shoes, which would mean a 4-hour round trip from the con and back Friday night. (I've forgotten important costume pieces before, so returning home with a long road trip was not something I haven't done before... *sighs*) Thankfully, my buds from Richmond were heading out at night and they offered to pick up the shoes. When they got to Costume Con, the stars were finally aligned in my favor and the shoes fit wonderfully! The costume was meant to be! Yay!!! I only had to buy a second crap pair, pack a third and completely stress out about the simplest part of the entire costume.
There ends my short shoe saga! Any one else have stories to share about their own costumes from the con?
Tikki

alpha_helix
05-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Wow. I didn't have any disasters as epic as that, but I was dealing with horrible allergies all weekend, all oak according to weather.com, which I am very allergic to. It reminded me spring in Atlanta, only not so bad. Spring in Atlanta gave me constant sinus infections.

I also had to deal with an almost falling off fingernail. In March, I slammed my thumb in the car door and gave myself 2 hairline fractures, crushed bone tip, and a severe under the fingernail bruise. It's pretty much healed except for the fingernail, which was hanging by a thread all weekend. I finally had the sense to get a bandaid when it got caught on my corset while I was getting dressed and nearly ripped off. It was hurtful :(

damn thing finally came off last night

dizzylizzy
05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
You mean, besides leaving half of my costume at home??? Then, nope! No stories!

Gravely
05-07-2009, 06:20 PM
even the con chair is a dope sometimes.
The night before leaving, and I need to finish what I'm wearing to the friday social, I put a nice 1/8 drill bit thru my middle finger tip. not into, of course, no, cross ways, as if I wanted to put a barbell piercing into it.

and it cam out the other side and went under my nail, so I had parts of that falling off all weekend.
YAY.
as a haunt builder, my tetanus shots are always up to date...

Sarcasm-hime
05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Holy crap Gravely, I didn't even notice your finger was hurt! Geez.

I was finishing my Folio costume using a little reading light during our all-nighter drive (we got in at 5am Thursday morning, IIRC), so I'm sure there are more than a few spots of blood on my lace. XD

CapsuleCorp
05-07-2009, 07:39 PM
fkahdaksdjh RICKY omg. Ow. Having put a sewing machine needle through my finger, I say OW. But that was ages ago for me.

I have some frustrations regarding the assembly of Bishop Sasarai but no real stories. Tikki, you totally take the cupcake on that one. Sheesh. I've panicked about wigs getting here before but that's NUTS. GreenFire, however, was actually beading her Regency dress in the car during the drive in, I suppose that's something.

sarcasm-hime - NO BLOOD ON THE COSTUME

Gravely
05-07-2009, 09:43 PM
I think most of my best costumes have blood on them somewhere
I'm mostly fine now

Crazy Flower
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
How about realizing that although you brought fake nails and nail glue, you forgot to bring the acetone to get it off. (I'm still picking specks of glue off my fingers)

Or realizing that the skirt you made is a tad too long, meaning that if I step too quickly, I will drag myself down on it.

Then there was the feather trim on my dress that wanted to come off in certain places, but not come off completely so I couldn't just remove it. I kept nearly tripping on it. (Not to mention the shedding)

Whoops. Imperfections I need to fix for next time.

Besides, all costumes require blood sacrifices. Else the seams will just fall apart.

Sarcasm-hime
05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Or realizing that the skirt you made is a tad too long, meaning that if I step too quickly, I will drag myself down on it.

LOL I ended up modeling ZensunniStJames' Tudor dress for the Historical as her original models flaked out, and the original model must have been a fair bit taller than me as even in heels I had to learn to 'sail', as I put it, in order to not trip on the skirt. If I walked normally I'd trip instantly, but if I lifted my ribcage way up and glided slowly (in-character, coincidentally!) I was okay.

alpha_helix
05-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Besides, all costumes require blood sacrifices. Else the seams will just fall apart.
Truer words were never spoken.

And at least you still have all of your fingernails, even if they are glue covered! I only have nine now!

trixyloupwolf
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
blood sacrifice !!!!!!!!1

mmm sound nice ^^ can i play too ???

ah me just have a lil kind of flu since sathursday =_= but not all day ^^;;
maybe i hate too much kids this week end ...whos knows.......................

otherwise i don't have funny stories just my old plain evil one ^^;;

ZensunniStJames
05-10-2009, 03:01 PM
LOL I ended up modeling ZensunniStJames' Tudor dress for the Historical as her original models flaked out, and the original model must have been a fair bit taller than me as even in heels I had to learn to 'sail', as I put it, in order to not trip on the skirt. If I walked normally I'd trip instantly, but if I lifted my ribcage way up and glided slowly (in-character, coincidentally!) I was okay.

You sail so well! ^_^

Thank you so much for letting me dress you up! Totally saved by Sarcasm-Hime and J-F.

ABakaProduction
06-18-2009, 11:28 PM
other then my friend drove us 2 da wrong place n it was vry far fr my house...

ABakaProduction
06-18-2009, 11:29 PM
oh yah not 2 4get... my sch had this thing call be yourself day when we can dress up as any thing u want.... mah friend cosplayed as deidara fr naruto shippuden n some of the teachers thought she was dressed as a flower! lol

ABakaProduction
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
other then my friend drove us 2 da wrong place n some dumb teachers thought dat my friend (cosplayed as deidara fr naruto shippuden) was a flower.... nothin else

Sarcasm-hime
06-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Triple-post AND seems to have nothing to do with Costume-Con? Take it to your blog, please.