PDA

View Full Version : Original characters-avoiding closet cosplay

Selkie Lass
05-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I would like to do a cosplay of an original rpg character, but character-wise, she normally wears regular clothing. Other than a few stand out characteristics, how can I make her stand out, in regards to the clothes that I would be wearing on my body?

Is it a good idea to think of variations the character would wear, ones with the bonus of being more visually interesting? I figured this might be a good thread for cosplayers who wants to dress as an original character, but run into the dilemma of the character that wears street clothes, but don't want to be lazy by snagging garments out of their own personal wardrobe. What advice do all of you have?

ChibiToon
05-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Hmm.... perhaps if you add an eye-catching prop? Something other than a simple fake handgun/sword, book, flower, etc. (Sorry, those were the first things that came to mind. XD )

If you are not a prop-maker, than you should try to pick a variation that will make your character differ from the "normal person" on the street. Perhaps the color of the clothes (for instance, neon colors may be "fashionable" right now, but you don't see a majority of the public wearing them) or the style of clothes (maybe your character is a rocker with a certain style).

Basically, if you want to be noticed, it is better to look toward the more eyecatching features of your character... even if the character only posesses those features for all 3 seconds in your story/comic.

CT