PDA

View Full Version : im worried about how i look/my weight for my next cosplay

SailorSaturn03
05-22-2009, 04:25 AM
i might just be paranoid, but im going to my first con in july (AX in LA) where i will be cosplaying and im extremely self conscious. im worried about people judging me for not looking exactly like the character im cosplaying (chun li) since im neither Chinese nor do i have the body for it.

the point im trying to get to is if you guys and girls who have cosplayed a lot have any tips or anything to give me for my situation.

Schuldig_
05-22-2009, 04:31 AM
No one looks exactly like an anime character as that would entail having legs that took up 75 % of your body and eyes that filled 75 % of your face. Some people look more alike than others, but those are actually few and far in between; the rest just do what they can with makeup, costume alterations and wigs and play with that. Keep in mind that this is just a hobby and meant for fun - if it makes you feel anxious or uncomfortable, it's not worth it. ;)

Most people at conventions are pretty open-minded and tolerant, but should you run into someone who's not, ignore them. You're cosplaying to have fun, not to please some random stranger at a con.

mokulen22
05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
I doubt you will run into any problems. If you do, just ignore them..I know this is hard but you can't stop people from being ass-hats, sadly.

I have been going to cons for several years now and have never dealt with anyone telling me I don't look like a character..mostly because most of us don't look 100% like a fictional character.

aerendyll
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Trust me - most people won't run up to you and complain about you missing e.g. one button on your shirt, having shoes that are inaccurate or being not as thin and breakable as the average anime girl.

What it comes down to - cosplay is something you should enjoy for yourself the most, not just so others can look at a character from a series they like. If you can't enjoy it, do a different costume or don't cosplay at all.

And lastly: You can be an awesome Chun-Li while not being Chinese or toothpick thin and you can be a pretty crappy one if you do meet those requirements. It's all about how much effort you put into your cosplay. ^_^

xMandiex
05-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Oh sugar, most of the people who play Chun-Li aren't Asian lol. No one is going to judge you for that. As far as not having the body... as long as your costume is clearly something you spent a lot of time on and isn't just thrown together, I guarantee no one is going to "judge" you. Now if it's clearly kinda thrown together/halfassed...then there might be a problem. But someone self-conscious probably spent a ton of time on their costume.

Just remember - practice poses! People ARE going to want your picture and nothing makes you feel like a dork faster than not having a character pose!

Hiryuu
05-22-2009, 12:33 PM
From personal experience, I've felt the same. But you know what? Once you get into that costume, with all your hardwork that you've done, you totally forget. You go to have a good time. People take pictures of you, and you start riding high. It doesn't matter what you look like it. Cosplay is for the sake of fun. It's costume PLAY! I have a high self confidence issue, where I can barely go out in shorts without feeling like crying. And my boyfriend continually tells me how skinny I am (he's a liar...but whatever). But once I get into costume, even if my legs are showing, I'm immediately transformed and just go to have fun. I forget what I look like, forget that I have self confidence issues, and just go for it. Sure, if I feel like I've gained weight (which I did while in college so now I'm losing it) then I try to slim down a bit. If you want, try losing 5-10 lbs. Even though it's not mecha, you really do feel accomplished and get a certain high off of it. Not enough time or don't want to? Then it doesn't matter!!!!! Have FUN! And the people with chide remarks can go suck themselves, 'cuz that's the only thing they'll be getting that weekend.

DespairedPheonix
05-22-2009, 12:47 PM
No one will go up to you and be like "YOU'RE A HORRIBLE CHUN LI RA RA RA!" And if they do...seriously, give them a weird look and walk away. Because honesetly, that person has their own insecurities and decided to take it out on you. Cosplay to have fun. That's what it's about. ^.^
There are sometimes when I go to cons where I see people that don't look like their character at all, but have an AMAZING costume that I can tell either a lot of money and/or time went into. And THAT is what counts.
However if someone has a costume that it really looks like they literately put together in like, 2 weeks before the con, and it's obvious...I'd probably say to my friends that the person obviously didn't try and they make a terrible portrayal of that character, but in my opinion that person deserves that kind of critism.
I have a friend that is very very overweight and she went as Himiko from the GetBackers with our group, and she was very concerned about this as well. But in the end, she had a really really good time, because people took into consideration that she took a lot of time with her costume, and put a lot of thought into it.
Be confident. Have fun. That's what this is all about.
[And that's coming from a really big cosplay critic]

Mangochutney
05-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Gonna need a sticky in here: "NO YOU ARE NOT TOO FAT".

HimeZelda
05-22-2009, 08:04 PM
A lot of people need to understand almost no one has the body of an Anime character/video game character. And clearly I don't want to have the body of one. Each and every one of them is mostly Anorexicly thin. I like being at a healthy weight and if I feel I am not there I just aim to loose the weight I've gained. Also I wouldn't worry about the fact that you aren't Asian just go to have fun. =)

SailorSaturn03
05-22-2009, 08:43 PM
thank you to all of you! i have been working really hard on my costume and i think the costume itself looks awesome. im sure i will have fun when i get out there and do it, im just letting my self-consciousness take over. thank you all for being so encouraging and nice ^_^

cheddot
05-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Weight doesn't matter with cosplay, as long as you're reasonable; Some of us (like me) would prefer it if a 300+ person wouldn't run around in a bikini, but hell, if someone like that s comfortable wearing something like that around, kudos to them, I wouldn't say anything. (though I might not look at them)

alterationsbyem
05-22-2009, 11:07 PM
When that day rolls around, you just have to get in YOUR moment and be who YOU are.

Zouziias
05-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I don't think it matters what you look like compared to your character. I mean, you could be short and chubby cosplaying a tall and thin character, but if you put alot of effort into your cosplay and it really shows, I don't think it matters. I've seen quite a few cosplayers who are not skinny, but the costumes they make are just so amazing that you don't care. Just put your love and effort into your cosplay. I seriously HATE when you see someone wearing a cosplay outfit, but they DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO DO THE HAIR CORRECTLY. I seriously want to go up to them and punch them upside the face. D-:<

CezzaXV
05-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm currently working on a Seras Victoria costume. Surprisingly enough, I'm not actually a vampire. Nor are my boobs bigger than my head or my waist thinner ridiculously small. It really doesnt matter. It's the costume that matters. Hey, some people even cosplay characters that arent their gender, and they often do a much better job than some of the people who do the same character who they're the right gender for.

xshengflipx
05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
people are pretty nice at conventions!! Especially at AX
Everyone appreciates the others' hard work on their costume!
You'll find out that no one really looks like the character!!
but if you do run into that certain person, just ignore them!
They're just probably jealous!

Creative Genius
05-24-2009, 05:58 PM
just think..all crossplayers...are going as something they arnt. and love it.
who cares if someone is to short or tall for a character or overweight or under weight for a character.
cosplay is for fun.
if it wern't, no one would do it.

I'm so far from the leggy stick skinney little balerina type. I cant even touch my toes due to being sooo un flexible. but I still will be cosplaying Princess Tutu for AX this year...and I love my costume

UchikoChan
06-22-2009, 05:44 PM
You shouldn't be too self-conscious about it. If someone does say something to you about it or "you don't look like so-and-so," then they're just being stupid. Cosplay is about dressing up to look as a character, yes, but it's also for fun. Nobody can look EXACTLY like an anime character, and to tell the truth, if they did, I'd be scared. xDD

But if you're THAT worried about it, I know there are ways you can use makeup to give you bigger "Japanese-esque" eyes and such, although it really shouldn't matter.

Just have fun, and it shouldn't be a problem. =3

Besides, we all have experiences like that, as you can tell from previous entries. xDD Mine is that I can NEVER, no matter how hard I try, get a man chest. >.< So Sasuke now has boobs, and I don't really care. I still look enough like him. >.> Nobody's said anything either. xDD

Tony Smalls
06-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah. Like what everybody else said. You're weight won't matter and not everybody will care. Just have fun. And if anybody says anything negative...well...whatever. That's THEIR problem. I'll be at AX in July also so if anybody bothers you just find me and I'll take care of them myself (2 negatives equals a positive! It's math!). >=)

MischaU
06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I was worried about this exact thing last year! (I am a horribly unfit white woman) but nobody cared- everyone was happy to see old-school ChunLi!

moonie211
06-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I never did cosplay but i agree with what the other said.
Just have fun
Don't worry about your body type not being the same as the character you are
cosplaying.
I don't think you would run into someone that makes fun of you
and say you don't fit your character and if you did, you should just ignore them.
If you like the character, then dress up as them and have some fun. =)

SnickerzAnime
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Just be proud of your cosplay. If it's a character that you liked enough to put in the effort to dress up as, no one else should care how similar you look to them. Cosplay is all about fun, and no one looks 100% like the characters they cosplay.