PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Chess

Grav
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Hello all,

This is your friendly Cosplay Chess Announcer (Shaggy cosplayer).
Since the head honcho Teddybomber (Daphne cosplayer) is currently swamped with finals, I'll do my job and start this out.

I want to thank all of our chess pieces, the staff, and of course everyone who showed up to watch. Every year we get a slightly larger space and every year you guys pack it. Right now we are pushing to be recognized as a main event and a second microphone so I don't have to do so much running.

Every year we try to iron out the problems and add more to the show. So let us know what you think. Did you have fun, could you hear, what were the best parts, etc. We are also always happy to hear ideas for next years theme. The hardest part with theme ideas is making sure that we can get enough cosplayers to fill the slots, and keeping it open to really pull in from a wide range of anime/video games/ manga. We also try to look for themes that encourage some funny dialogue and heckling.

So far we have done...

Animazement:

Good vs. Evil
Anime Vs. Video Games
Cute Vs. Creepy

Katsucon:

Boys Vs. Girls

So far our Ideas for next year's theme is

Japan vs. the Universe

Characters that claim japan as home verse the rest of the world and beyond.

Old School Vs. New School

Do you think original gundam can kick the pants off of gundam seed? Ninja scroll can teach naruto a few tricks? Is speed racer left in the dust?

Kids vs. Adults

Your character can save the world but they can't watch a rated R movie alone? Tired of seeing preteens stealing the spotlight? Let the generation battle begin.

Kaicyios
05-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey there!

I was Hotohori (The White King). I had a blast being part of the chess this year. It seemed from a board perspective that the majority of the pieces appeared to be having a good time. The crowd appeared really into it. The front few rows wanted blood...

You did a great job picking the cute and creepy pieces. Quite a few were legitimately creepy! That I-No cosplayer...awesome.

I greatly enjoyed the whole production. I would be happy to be a part of the cosplay chess next year or help out in some capacity. I think the Old School vs New School has potential to it. Teddybomber and yourself rocked it out this year. Good work!

^.^}}) KAI

Tohma
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I really like the idea of Japan vs. the universe!

I had a lot of fun..then again I always do ^^ Been in it all three years at AZ. I was Syaoran from CCS this year and it was a lot of fun to do it with my matching Sakura. I really wish I could have gotten to attack someone XD

I don't really have any suggestions. Just wanted to say it was another great year. I loved that there were helpers to carry or drag off the contestants. And it was certainly a good variety in the players this year.

Cute side for the win! WHOOT!

CardcaptorKiki
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I was Tohma's Sakura and Cosplay Chess was EPIC this year. :] Hats off to you guys running it.

Yey for the Cute Side!! <3

Heartless Halo
05-25-2009, 10:19 PM
<-- was Black*Star (sorry if I was lil much)

But I loved doing the Chess game and thanks soooo much for running it and letting me participate!

Maybe

Popular Characters VS Unknowns (like the lesser known series or characters)

phaedrus
05-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Kaiju Vs. Prominent Buildings Of Animated Japanese Entertainment

KiwiNinamori
05-26-2009, 08:25 AM
how about: magical girls vs. non-magical fighters (like Naruto, street fighters, etc.)

Artikgato
05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I was Tsubaki. Thanks for letting me get the checkmate, guys! That literally made my con! It was such a blast. And yeah, Cosplay Chess totally needs to be a main event. ^^

I'm going to suggest shonen vs. shojo, since boys vs. girls has already been done (at Katsucon, anyway). =D

Kaicyios
05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Shonen vs Shojo would be interesting. It wouldn't be difficult to fill either side.

Grav
05-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm glad you guys had fun. If anyone also frequents the animazement forums be sure to nudge them that you like cosplay chess and we need more space and a second microphone.

Teddybomber really outdid herself this year. She's been the one talking with the con staff, handling applications and such, etc,etc, etc. I'm hoping I can help her out more this coming year now that I've graduated.

`Difficile
05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Kids vs Adults sounds fun.

How about Humans vs. Non-Humans? I don't know, just throwin' that out there.
Or the classic girls vs. boys....

Sen'il Ionia
05-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Shonen vs Shojo would be interesting. It wouldn't be difficult to fill either side.

The only problem with this is that there are a lot of things that don't fall into either of those categories. Most video games can't really be classified as shounen or shoujo for starters (relevant to me, at least, because I only do VG cosplay...).

Personally, I'm rather liking Japan vs. The Universe. Or... hmm. Suppose I'll give it some thought and see what else I can come up with.

phaedrus
05-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Deities vs. Characters Who Meet Deities At Some Point

Characters Who Overcome Internal Hardship vs. Characters Whose Hardships Are Largely Externally Motivated

Sweet Lolita vs. Hime-gyaru (Preceeded by 30 minute panel on how to tell the two apart. There will be no Q&A. No cat ears, please)

Kaiju vs. Prominent Buildings Of Animated Japanese Entertainment (Repitched! Come on, please??)

Boys vs. Girls

Games: Sony vs. Microsoft (Example (http://picasaweb.google.com/mobileagent/Animazement2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCI29-LX179Hbfg#5339942623323728050))

Hero vs. Antihero

Characters From A Series Vs. Characters From Invented/Embedded Series That Feature Prominently Within The Series From The First Group (Genshiken vs. Kujibiki Unbalance. Densha-otoko vs. The One With That Girl With The Two Carrots On Her Butt [both of which, bty, were spun off]...you get the picture)

Unexpected Time Travel vs. Unexpected Geospatial Relocation

Sen'il Ionia
05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Deities vs. Characters Who Meet Deities At Some Point

lol'd at most of the suggestions because of the amount of syllables in each one XD This one, however, gave me an idea.

Mortal vs. Immortal? Because every single character out there has to fall into one of those categories. And there are all kinds of cosplays for the immortal category - robots and mecha, gods and goddesses, ghosts and spirits (immortal soul, I suppose...), angels, demons, etc etc. The mortal side wouldn't take any effort to fill up, either.

Grav
05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Some interesting ideas. I will say though that in the past it is really surprising how difficult it can be to fill up a side. It never fails. We had to abduct...er.. I mean recruit people for the girls side in boys vs girls.

One idea we put on the back burner was family feud. We would extend that so that there would be one character from the anime or video game on both sides. I can just imagine the dueling katamaris, twin fights, and more.

hmmm.... Silly vs. Serious characters? That would require a joker, anime related or not.

You see the dilemma.

Meiki
05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Sweet Lolita vs. Hime-gyaru (Preceeded by 30 minute panel on how to tell the two apart. There will be no Q&A. No cat ears, please)

Hahaha best idea ever. I'll be happy to discuss why "Jesus Diamante" is a really weird name for a brand, and fight on the side of the lolis.

Heartless Halo
05-28-2009, 02:10 AM
the Silly vs Serious is a good idea and so is the Immortal vs Mortal

But I can see where filling one side could be hard XD

Though the family feud idea would be really cool!

My friends were talking about the epicness of White*Star vs Black*Star I lulzd cause I want to do White*Star anyways. The possibilities would be endless for that one really. Just get two characters from the same series/game/universe, put them on opposing sides, and BAM full chess board!

Zipchan
05-28-2009, 05:21 AM
I do like the family feud idea a lot. =D

Cosmos
05-28-2009, 12:05 PM
It was my first time going to/participating in Cosplay Chess and I had a blast! We were the Nerima Daikon Brothers (I played the part of a summon-mako).

Did anyone take video of it? I know it usually makes it's way around the 'net, but I haven't been able to find any yet.

donttouchmymilk
05-29-2009, 06:05 PM
It was my first time going to/participating in Cosplay Chess and I had a blast! We were the Nerima Daikon Brothers (I played the part of a summon-mako).

Did anyone take video of it? I know it usually makes it's way around the 'net, but I haven't been able to find any yet.

I've posted this question in several places, and am wondering the same thing. If anyone has video, please PLEASE let it get on youtube.

Anyway, I was Sae from Fatal Frame II in this year's cosplay chess. I had an absolute blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I like the idea of a sibling rivalry (characters from the same anime/game). The only hiccup is that you would have to have two people from the same anime/game sign up. This would be difficult if people are signing up on their own, without a second person in mind. But if you think this would not be an issue, or could be overcome somehow, I'm totally down.

I know it's been done at other places, but I do also like the idea of boys vs girls. It would probably attract a huge crowd (both in people coming to watch and applicants). It would also lead to some extreme funniness for those characters who aren't always 100% sure where they belong (Nuriko from fushigi yuugi).
;)

Kaicyios
05-29-2009, 09:36 PM
What about Deceased vs Living?

The deceased could cover characters that die throughout the course of their respective series as well of those that are technically already dead. Living is pretty self explanatory.

Grav
05-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I know it's been done at other places, but I do also like the idea of boys vs girls. It would probably attract a huge crowd (both in people coming to watch and applicants). It would also lead to some extreme funniness for those characters who aren't always 100% sure where they belong (Nuriko from fushigi yuugi).
;)

We've done boys vs. girls before. We actually had to call in friends to gather up girl cosplayers because we couldn't find enough to fill that side until literally the last minute. Oddly enough Nuriko was king and Haruhi's dad from Host club was the queen. They bickered a lot about that.

donttouchmymilk
05-29-2009, 10:24 PM
haha. excellent. but what con was that for? the list of animazement chess was good v evil, anime v. video games, and then cute v creepy, right?

ooo, the alive vs. dead sounds really good too. that would bring some good stuff.

Aduial
05-30-2009, 08:21 PM
I haven't participated in chess before but I'd like to! I like the Kids vs. Adults idea...mostly because all of next year's cosplays for me are characters under the age of 16. :P

Grav
05-31-2009, 11:51 PM
haha. excellent. but what con was that for? the list of animazement chess was good v evil, anime v. video games, and then cute v creepy, right?

ooo, the alive vs. dead sounds really good too. that would bring some good stuff.

Katsucon 2008

It is around the same size as AZ but has a very large focus on cosplay.
We try not to redo themes and push to bring more to cosplay chess than some other groups do.