PDA

View Full Version : Planning meetings and stuff

The Admiral
05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi, i live in riviere-du-loup (5 hours from Montreal) and i should show up there for otakuthon. The main reason would be for the UFS event; but we have to wait how things sort out.

So, my first question, is there lot of cosplayer at the con usualy? I may cosplay...

and is there lot of people outside quebec coming? that would be nice to hang out :)

hypersapiens
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Yes! There was tons of cosplay last year and some really amazing costumes. More people were cosplaying than not I would say.

The majority of people were either locals or from Quebec but myself and a fair number of others travelled from Ottawa, Toronto and other parts of Ontario. (I met people from as far away as Thunder Bay and Moncton.)

Otakuthon is a very fun convention, definetly worth checking out. If you want to get a really broad look at some of the people, cosplays and events from last year I put a report and photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypersapiens/sets/72157606571759818/

Pillow-chan
05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
There is a really high chance I'm attending (it's not confirmed yet) and I'm coming from Toronto, definitely cosplaying ^^

xStillDollxYuki
05-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Hopefully a friend of mine and I will be going. We will be coming from Brockville, Ontario and will CERTAINLY be cosplaying if things work out for a ride there. *fingers crossed*

trixyloupwolf
05-27-2009, 08:00 PM
yeah!
iam happy if youd comme ^^
that meam more friend yeah!

nya!

The Admiral
05-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Awesome! That should practice my engrish :P

kuko-chan
05-29-2009, 02:21 AM
I just confirmed my registration today. This is the first out-of-province convention I'll be attending ever! I'm kind of excited! I better brush up on my French. :D *hasn't spoken a word of French since grade 9* See you all there!

trixyloupwolf
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
nya! english or french no matter we almost all speack both here ^^

so no worries ^^

thats cool first out of province you choose otakuthon yeah!

see ya there sooon ^^
hug!
trixy

kuko-chan
05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Well that's a relief! :D I'd make an ass of myself if I tried to speak French. See ya there, Trixy!

Pillow-chan
05-30-2009, 02:42 PM
I'm a little worried about the whole French thing too...I stopped taking French in grade 9 and I only know simple words like "hat" and "yes"
Oh man oh man, I'm gonna get lost in Montreal, I know it ><

KoopaT
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm a little worried about the whole French thing too...I stopped taking French in grade 9 and I only know simple words like "hat" and "yes"
Oh man oh man, I'm gonna get lost in Montreal, I know it ><

Most of Montreal is bilangual. Especially in downtown/chinatown area where Otakuthon is being hosted! You shouldn't be worried about too much. The city is a hotspot for toursism from everywhere (many many americans during the summer specially) so English is usable pretty much everywhere.

hypersapiens
05-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Yes don't worry, seriously!! Everything at the convention was amazingly bilingual... like at the start of each panel they would ask how many people understood each language and would conduct the discussion based on the groups' general fluency. Which was pretty damn cool I thought. And a few people were using basic Japanese as a middle ground!!

jusdepomme
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
yeah don't worry about the language, we are trying to keep this as bilingual as we can. Of course, we cannot ask everyone to be fluent in both language both I'm sure both ways will do an effort to understand each other ;)

Vzmey
06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
OH YAY! more people from Ontario? then would anyone have space in their car for me? I will be coming from Belleville but can meet up anywhere, in order to make the journey a)cheaper b)easier......

Oh whoa trixy is here too hey trixy :P

trixyloupwolf
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
hi! hi!
yeah people from belleville^^
hi there ^^
(i do inventory at the belleville ultramar sometime that a cool place ^^(because ya have taco bell ^^ yeah! ok iam a big taco bell fan ^^;)

i will be there for sure hope you all come at my contest iam hosting nya!
i can do both french english ^^ like everybody at the con ^^
yeah! bilingual is really in ^^ hehe!

see ya all there and no more worry about anithing will all have fun ^^ nya!

MDA
06-12-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm coming down the day before Otakuthon (Thursday) and staying for a whole week after. This will be my first out-of-province convention, and technically, the third one I ever go to.

I'm coming from Belleville like Vzmey. Though I'm taking the train there and back (dad will be on holidays starting the day I go down for a week). A friend of mine in Madoc is going too! She'll be driving down I think Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday evening (Vzmey, if you wish, I can talk to my friend about taking you down to Otakuthon)... Luckily, I already have accommodations for Otakuthon [my boyfriend's place]

I will most definitely be cosplaying. Friday and Sunday are figured out, but I struggle with Saturday's XD I'm not too worried about the French and English, as I already know that Montreal is primarily bilingual (having been there several times before already). And besides, I'm going with a group of friends, most of which already live there.

HylianKnight
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
This will also by my first time attending (from Niagara Area, Ontario)!

I'm bilingual, so it should be a lot of fun! Though I was wondering, is Holiday Inn the best hotel? Are there others just as close that are decent? I don't really know my way around, and I'll be taking a greyhound bus to get there, since I'm not sure of any cheaper way to travel. :(

I look forward to meeting other people there! I'll be cosplaying all 3 days. :D

Risea
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
There are quite a few hotels near by actually. I don't know their prices however. You could check that with going on google searching for Hotels near the Palais des Congress. Though if you really want to be close to the con, then the holiday inn is quite literally across the street from it.

HylianKnight
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Risea: Alright, thank you! :)

nanakiff7
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey, I'm (hopefully) going to Otakuthon, and it's going to be my first con, since my mom said I couldn't go to AN the day before we were gonna leave -_- but yeah, I should be cosplaying all 3 days. Um, i'm not too great at French (ok, I get 90's in French, but nyeh), and in school we do this stupid play thingies instead of learning important stuff (I'm trying to learn on my own with my French/English dicionary). I actually come from Woodstock Ontario, which isn't far from Londom. I hope to see you guys there!

jusdepomme
06-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Don't worry, you can talk in english in Otakuthon. And if you say few words in french like : Désolé je ne parle pas très bien français. Well... People will be more than happy to anwser your question in english if they are french ;)