PDA

View Full Version : Making a suit

Freyarule
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey y'all.

I'm relatively new to cosplaying, done a couple of costumes.

Has anyone ever made a suit before? As in business suit. My mum keeps saying I won't be able to do it, but I've had experience with patterns before and I'm determined to make it work. I've found a pattern and material, now I just need the advice.

Is it really as complex as it seems? What can I say to change my mum's mind?

Any response to this is more than gratefully accepted!

(This is for my Phoenix Wright cosplay, btw ^^)

TR Rose
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Yes, making a suit is possible.
No, it is not the least bit easy.

I made a Phoenix Wright suit and used a pattern by Burda - the standard 3 pattern companies (Simplicity, McCalls, and Butterick) don't make a men's suit pattern. It was really difficult and I completely ruined the first version of the jacket (while the diagram showed a closed jacket, the finished pictures on the envelope showed the jacket open - and the measurements were for the open jacket and thereby completely too small when I tried to make it close).

If at all possible, you should try to find a suit already made. Try your local Goodwill, thrift store, charity shop, etc. Thankfully it's a fairly normal-looking blue suit so you have a better chance of finding it (as opposed to many of the other characters in the series).

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it was my personal experience. I never want to make another men's suit ever again!

Freyarule
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
yikes - thanks for replying!

My only concern with buying a suit is that I'm hoping to be in a skit with some other in the masquerade. They have tight rules that costumes can't be majorly shop-bought, so I'm just worried that I'd not be allowed to enter if I have a shop made suit.

Thanks for the advice though, gives me a good idea on what I'm getting into!

The Hag
05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
As TR Rose has said, a man's suit coat is very difficult to do. If you are bound and determined though, this thread may be of help:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=135672&highlight=tuxedo

godsavethequeen
05-27-2009, 04:54 PM
A search for "suit" brought up these menswear patterns on http://www.sewingpatterns.com.

Burda 8186
Burda 7842
Vogue 1753
Vogue 2836
Vogue 2383

Freyarule
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

After some thinking, do you think it would be possible to simplify a suit's jacket? Such as, having one or two layers of material without some of the lining, like in a waistcoat? Or am I thinking too hard?

Thanks for the pattern references as well, GSTQ. I've found one from Vogue that seems to be the right shape. :)

Kelley
05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I've done it / am doing it more.

It sucks more than anything else I've ever done if you want to go the traditional tailored route (anything less runs the risk of looking "cheap costumey" - which can be okay if you don't mind that).

For me the patterns were no problem. That was easy (I got one from a 19th century tailor's handbook).

Attaching the notched collar was annoying.

The lining is annoying (well, I'm not much of a hand-sewing beyond mindless hemming and buttonholes).

Stay tape and shaping hair canvas is BEAUTIFUL if you do it - and manage to avoid doing the predatory grip-and-shake-to-pieces while you sew as you watch Blade.

Hand-made shaped shoulder pads are BEAUTIFUL. Shoulder rolls are GORGEOUS.

An everyday person might not notice the lack of these things, but now that I've learned them - I notice the damn fine tailoring that goes into, say, that long white "lab-coat" Foreman wears on House. And how springy and well made everyone's else's lapels are.

You can probably buy a blue suit-coat for a lot less pain than making one - it's a pretty modern and standard style. As rewarding as it is once you finish it, I would never be doing that again if anyone sold what I wanted for under $100 a jacket.

I would rather hand-sew a corset again.

EDIT : After some thinking, do you think it would be possible to simplify a suit's jacket? Such as, having one or two layers of material without some of the lining, like in a waistcoat? Or am I thinking too hard?

You CAN physically do that - but I've seen it done, and it looks pretty crappy.

Ever since I did the whole tailoring thing, I can't leave waistcoat lapels alone, either (unless they're curved opening shawl - then it doesn't really matter since they need to lay flat, not curving springy).

You could probably get an acceptable or dyeable (depends on what it's made out of) jacket at a thrift store.

TR Rose
05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

After some thinking, do you think it would be possible to simplify a suit's jacket? Such as, having one or two layers of material without some of the lining, like in a waistcoat? Or am I thinking too hard?

Thanks for the pattern references as well, GSTQ. I've found one from Vogue that seems to be the right shape. :)

Due to time constraints, I didn't make the lining on the suit jacket. I may at some point go back and add it in but it doesn't look terrible without it (since the jacket is worn over a dress shirt anyway).

Here's the suit I made for reference:
3 Phoenixes (http://mandyneko.deviantart.com/art/What-Defines-Us-106151785)

Best of luck, PW series cosplay is always fun to see. ^^

Kelley
05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I think you did a good job with that one. :) Definitely a costume-piece, but it gets the message across.

I don't want to post pictures of the "bad" example, since it's not mine. :B

Freyarule
05-28-2009, 04:11 AM
Thankyou everyone for the advice, it's been very helpful! I'm going to play around with some ideas, I might inspect one of my dad's old jackets just to get a good idea.

I'll update this thread when I know exactly what I'm doing - in the meantime if anyone has other advice then feel free to post here :)