PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know Otakons weapon policy?

Irvy
10-02-2002, 02:01 PM
I am going as Irvine this year to Otakon and I am gunning ( hehe , get it?:crylaugh: ) for an all around accurate costume. Irvine's weapon is a shot gun and I was thinking of getting a plastic toy shot gun. WOuld I be allowed to bring that in?

Rosiel
10-02-2002, 03:27 PM
> WOuld I be allowed to bring that in?

No. Unless it's bring pink or something.

I haven't seen a con since Sept11 that allows any sort of firearms, real or not. Which really puts a damper on my Schu costume... just do like I will do, take pictures with your prop before the con, and go without at the con.

SailorAndromeda
10-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Their policy is NO real weapons, and no weapons that look real. If it's got flourescent coloring on it somewhere or is made of plastic or wood, you should be ok. Con security might ask to see it. I can ask this guy I know when I see him again, he's on con staff. That's the answer he gave me last spring, but I can ask about fake shotguns if you want. You could always email them directly as well.

Irvy
10-02-2002, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info ^^ I was thinking because of 9/11 I wouldn't be able to bring the toy gun. I'll just settle on a super soaker and squirt people with it >)

SohjiroX
10-14-2002, 12:41 AM
....super....soaker?

Pipneko
11-07-2002, 05:02 PM
I actually had a photograph of the big board that stated their weapons policy.. I'll see if I can find it. ^_^

makio
11-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Think they'll allow a whip? :devil:

I figure if I keep it coiled and bound to my waist, they won't make a big fuss over it.

Recca-kun
11-12-2002, 11:56 AM
Oh man if they don't allow a coiled prop whip I will be P.O.ed. Everyone flips out now about stupid junk, it's a real pain in the arse. I honestly don't know if they'd even allow a super soaker anymore... :mad:

Irvy
11-12-2002, 08:43 PM
I think it's kind of stupid that they won't let people bring on toy guns that look fake( I mean come on, they have bright orange things on the end) but they allow people to bring in massive swords. If you hit someone with say...a polywood Buster sword it'd do more damage than smacking someone with a plastic gun o.o;

SailorAndromeda
11-13-2002, 02:58 PM
What's this about not allowing toy guns? if they look fake, and even have the bright orange tip, it should be fine (it used to be). You could always email someone from the Otakon site about it. And I would think they'd allow whips, if coiled. I always say email them to be sure.
~*liz*

Doc Stampede
12-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Weapon's policy is necessary for many reasons, not just nervousness about 9/11.

Your best bet of course *is* to email Otakon if you have a specific question. I will however make a note to make sure that some kind of weapons policy is posted on the website this year as the date draws closer.

Doc (Otakon staff Mode engaged)

psythe
12-05-2002, 08:05 AM
Wooden replicas of Chloe's Throwing Knives?? Ok?

I was about to start making them, just not sure if they would be approved now...

Doc Stampede
12-05-2002, 02:13 PM
There's a staff meeting this weekend, I'll ask security if they have this year's weapon's policy drawn up yet. Hold off for a few days if you can and I'll see what I can rustle up.

Doc

Schu
12-11-2002, 01:06 PM
The general policy usually is something like no actual weapons for one, whether on your costume or being weilded. As for replicas, if they look as though they could hurt someone (knives, guns) they must either be attached to the costume or have some sort of neon thing on them to say they aren't real. As for staffs, buster swords, and things like that, they usually don't mind as much. ^______^ That's just the general jist from the cons I've been to.

Doc Stampede
12-11-2002, 03:23 PM
I spoke with the security head at the meeting, he's getting it down in writing for posting on the website. :)

Doc (/end staff mode)

SailorAndromeda
12-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Otakon is SO much nicer about weapons than Katsucon though. But then again, Katsu is in a hotel and needs to worry more about things I guess. We had a Sword of Time from Legend of Zelda this past year, and it's made from white pine. When I emailed security about bringing it to Katsucon, he said no ;_;
But I understand why, and he was very nice about it.
That's my two yen. ^^

Lady Ava
12-27-2002, 08:06 PM
From what I have seen from the past two years, Otakon is VERY easy on the weapons things. They understand that its all for good fun. As long as they aren't metal, then it should be ok.

Sciguy
01-01-2003, 05:54 PM
If I remember correctly, the weapons policy had a strict no-metal component to it. I think that was the only major stipulation because it rules out knives, swords, shurikans, firearms, polearms, and partisans.

Alanna-chan
01-02-2003, 08:59 PM
Wonder what they'll say about Mars's anti-evil spirit signs. They could give people paper cut. But they were seeling knives and swords in the dealers room.

Sciguy
01-02-2003, 09:46 PM
lol, I'm doing the same paper charms (the only name I've ever seen for them is an ofudo) for my Miroku costume.

But Otakon was very nice about weaponry. I saw all kinds of weaponry like fake swords, staves (and yes, in this case staffs is dead wrong) and toy guns.

Irvy
01-11-2003, 02:35 AM
ahh, good to hear that Otakon's not too uptight about weapons. I'll bring m'toy with me and see what happens ^^

Giant Alucard
01-30-2003, 09:02 AM
im going as alucard from hellsing. you think they would approve the guns for his costume??? each one is over a foot long, one is silver the other is black. You could tell they weren't real just by how big they were, unless i was related to dirty harry or somthing.

TheAnarCHris
02-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Yeah, is it offically no metal? Coz I'm dying to make a gunblade out of sheet metal and I want to make sure it's legal to do so......what I already have a resin Caster, one cannot be completely badass without a Stabbie.

Doc Stampede
02-06-2003, 04:22 AM
[Otakon Staff Mode On]

Hey Guys :

The people who set weapon policy are still working on it. Once its set, I will make sure it appears on the website and mention it here.

Sorry for the delay.

Doc [Otakon staff mode off]

Pipneko
02-06-2003, 12:37 PM
I just play it safe.. my weapons tend to be made of plastic or wood. ^_^ woot. ^_^

Irvy
02-06-2003, 02:06 PM
That's awesome Doc ^^ It'll be really useful to find out what the weapon policy is so we can know what we can and can't bring, thanks!

Raincrystal
02-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Heh... I was Otakon security for several years, and so far as I recall, it was no-metal-and-nothing-real-looking. That policy was in place YEARS before 9/11; it's just basic safety. I was in registration last year, so I don't know if the weapons policy changed at all after 9/11, but I believe it didn't.

TheAnarCHris
02-18-2003, 01:44 AM
Heh... I was Otakon security for several years, and so far as I recall, it was no-metal-and-nothing-real-looking.

Crap in a hat.

heki-chan
02-25-2003, 12:30 AM
hmm....do you guys think that FFX-2's Yuna's twin pistols would be allowed?

mine arent nearly as large as her's (in the cgs) and mine is silver-blue instead of gunmetal-silver/grey/whtevr its called^_^;;;

think itll be okie?

its plastic and clay LMAO X_X;

ainslye
02-25-2003, 12:10 PM
I thought it was just a no live steel kind of thing. But I could be wrong.. I mean, I can't find where I read that so I could just be making it up.

Raincrystal
02-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Heki-chan... I don't know for sure, but my guess is no. --;

AuronTakeo
09-22-2003, 12:27 AM
The funny thing about Otakon... i didn't even get my sword checked but i still walked around with it for the entire day! but more important there can't be metal or something dramatically concealed... or it can't be 8.8 ft. long! yeah kinda weird... theres more at http://www.otakon.com