PDA

View Full Version : 4 Toronto Anime cons?!

lainey
08-06-2003, 02:40 PM
Who else received the flyer in the mail?

Are my eyes deceiving me..but do I see... TWO TORONTO ANIME CONS LISTED?!

Two Toronto Anime Cons + CNA + Anime North = 4 Anime cons!

Someone PLEASE tell me if I am understanding this correctly, or else...I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN!

http://goddessoul.com/cons.jpg

zoinomiko
08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
That certainly looks like the case. :o I wonder if they'll be any good, though... >.>

lainey
08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
i know...but that's a lot of cons... *gags* costumes to make LoL

Limeyaku
08-06-2003, 02:59 PM
doesnt matter if theyre good or not! its another oppurtunity to get together with friends and hang out and wear costumes! ^_______^ i think they'll be decent, considering they're run by the city and the city has lots of money, so its more corporate, ye know? corporate cons get good guests cuz they dunt hafta worry bout prices. Whahha! XD anyways. i hope i can go > *________*

Erilan
08-06-2003, 03:00 PM
Oh my...

But those two new cons are 1 day and 2 day, so they aren't big. Therefore no big deal needs to be made about them. :)

But considering how these cons are in Toronto, expect them to grow pretty fast. :p

Limeyaku
08-06-2003, 03:02 PM
it actually seems to be a 3day con...just...split up...mtcc prolly had tons of other things scheduled in to work the con in for 3 days straight. =\ o well. lotsa people will go anyways cuz we're con-needy. XD

Vanity Fading
08-06-2003, 04:10 PM
haha I know! I thought my eyes were deceiving me! but it looks like I'm not the only one who saw it! XD yay for more anime cons!!

JustinCredible
08-06-2003, 04:42 PM
I've been to 1 or 2 Toronto Comicons and they were extremely small... but that was more then 4 years ago...

yeah more conventions overall...
I would love to go to the Montreal con, but most unlikely this year... the Toronto Anime/Sci-Fi/Comic ones seem more likely plus.. its at the MTCC yeah!

Takuma-san
08-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Holy cow, since when did Toronto have 4 anime cons?? And why isn't there any news about this, besides this?

lainey
08-06-2003, 05:45 PM
*dies*
I'm happy happy!

They may be small, but eventually they will grow. Plus it said cheap admission tickets... *dances*

Limeyaku... we gotta do some BR goodness for November!

Chosuke
08-06-2003, 05:50 PM
No..Nooooooooo..;-; -shouldn't have clicked on thread.-

So much for trying to save money for AN after CN..x.x;;
So much for taking a break untill after christmas x.x;;

Sarcasm-hime
08-06-2003, 05:50 PM
I didn't get a flyer...when and what are these two new anime cons?

Mia-P
08-06-2003, 05:58 PM
I never got one either, but .... Wooo! Sounds great to me! Just in time since I'm getting a new sewing machine soon *^o^*

lainey
08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Click on the link I posted O_o

http://goddessoul.com/cons.jpg

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-06-2003, 07:10 PM
lainey! where did you get ur flyer? from the mail?? how come I didn't get one~~~ ~>_<~
but boy~ great great news!
but that also means less time to make a costume, so busy all yr
and I am a little confused, so that Toronto anime con is going to be twice a yr?! 0_o it is not going to be annually???

Maki

lainey
08-06-2003, 07:13 PM
semi-annual then!

Maki I got it in the mail! I guess, when you went last year, you left your mailing address on the ballot right?

Maybe you'll get it in the next few days!
I could scan it for you..but most of the stuff inside is the same stuff on their website, except with the location of the masquerade.

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-06-2003, 07:15 PM
but have anyone noticed, I just noticed that for the nov. one it is just one day~~ and the march one is 2 days~~~~
i wonder wat will they have and if they are going to have masq~~
but i think anime cons should have right??? |||

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-06-2003, 07:20 PM
thanks lainey~~~
i don't remember if I left my address for them |||

Chosuke
08-06-2003, 07:23 PM
I liked it better when I only knew about two cons a year..x_X;;
I'll probably just be rewearing for these other cons if I can even go.

lainey
08-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Maki Yu.Ki.Ame do you have MSN, icq or AIM?

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-06-2003, 07:35 PM
that is true~~ I feel a little too much to have 4 in a yr
it seems too commercial
I too probably re-wearing costumes or wear those not as popular costumes ^^
but i feel old now I wanna cosplay as much as i can |||
LOL

lainey~ I have send u a pm ^^

mikcy
08-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Toronto Comicon on October 18? Weee right before my birthday. :D Theres actually conventions after August. O.o; Or am I just misreading something XD

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-06-2003, 08:00 PM
guys, you think these anime/comic/sci-fi cons are produced by hobbystar too? i mean, it is like CNA but seperated. And it also advertises in CNA's flyers...

lainey
08-06-2003, 08:19 PM
it probably is hobbystar's doing...
since it's beside the montreal one..

mikcy
08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
So theres a con like CNA on November 14-16? :O

Vanity Fading
08-06-2003, 09:27 PM
I think you get your flyer if you've attended last year's CN and you filled in your addy and all that stuff @_@

lainey
08-06-2003, 09:38 PM
it won't be AS big...
it's the first year for Toronto Anime!

mikcy
08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
So many cons now O.o; Last year I only thought there was CNA XD I hope it doesn't cost 40 dollars to get in O.o

appleyukari
08-06-2003, 09:51 PM
oh gosh~ these 2 minor anime cons just happen to be here that sudden~ but then it's seems really minor compare to AN ^^|||but then we can rewear our costumes :p

mikcy
08-06-2003, 09:57 PM
More excuses to wear outfits. :D

Vanity Fading
08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
yay more costumes .. that = less time for me which = needs more $$$..
x_X;; ooohhh *dies from the sudden news*

Chosuke
08-06-2003, 10:18 PM
^

I feel your pain.

nuriko001
08-07-2003, 04:24 AM
but, relaly i don't see a point paying for these event.s
i mean.. cnanime is already a really poor convention, events wise..

maybe just to hang and take pics.. but i wouldn't pay.. and you dont' need to go to the dealers room that much in a year:P

xiola
08-07-2003, 10:20 AM
anything during school means i'm not putting as much effort into it. it also means less of us outside of toronto will have the means to get there. but i've finally been getting to the point where there are costumes i WANT to rewear, and i've been starting to try to pare down how many costumes i make anyway, to go for quality over quantity so that i'll feel better about it.

as far as i'm concerned, my main reasons to go would be:

a) it's right before halloween, so it's probably a good excuse to get a halloween costume done on time or touch up a costume for halloween

b) IF it doesn't cost much to go for the day (or, like CN, if there's nothing to make it worth paying for), it's nice to have the excuse to wear costumes again so that they aren't just sitting in the closet collecting dust :P

but it's a pain to drag my costumes through the city since i wouldn't have a ride for a con like this, since i live in TO for school and have no excuse to get one :P so i couldn't rewear my prettiest costume anyway, because i can't drag it through the city without a car, since it cant be crushed into a suitcase -_-

Kia
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
OMG! This news is cool! But damn... that small print og that .jpg is too small for me... can anyone just list the dates on that picture for me? Pretty please?? ^_^

It'll be so cool to have more than just one full fledged anime con a year.... (and CN.. but that's a little different ^_^) After this next year we'll see how everything turns out... I *can* keep my hopes up for something awsome but when it comes to corporations only looking to make money, I wouldn't hold my breath.

JustinCredible
08-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Here are the list of dates
Oct.18.2003
*Toronto Comicon @ MTCC
Nov.9.2003
*Toronto Anime Convention @ MTCC
Nov.30.2003
*Science Fiction Convention @ MTCC
Feb.28.2004
*Toronto Comicon @ MTCC
Mar.20 - 21.2004
*Toronto Anime Convention @ MTCC
May.2.2004
*Toronto Comicon @ MTCC
May.30.2004
*Science Fiction Convention @ MTCC

I'm doing my best to dig up all the info I can. Currently if hobbystar were apart of it, there name would be plastered more closer to the actual dates and names of the righthand-side's conventions. Only CNmontreal has hobbystar's stamp of association.

Toronto Comicon... is listed to be on Oct. 18th at the MTCC.... brought in part by Paradise Comics.
well http://www.torontocomicon.com/ says differently. That it takes place on November 7 - 9 in Queen Elizabeth Building @ Exhibition Place.

I believe this is (well the comicon events) are hosted by Paradise Comics who years ago when I attended there events basically had a hotel banquet room for a dealers room and outside of that was one or two artists who were signing autographs. Because it was such a small event, one was able to hang out and chat with the artists... It seems this organization has been growing and I guess is moving to the MTCC from now on. I'm not really sure who is doing the Anime/Sci-Fi stuff... but If I find anything out I'll post it!

appleyukari
08-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Nuriko, you are right~ I don't think we need to go to dealers' room for that much in a year.....like, twice a year is enough for me, atleast it seems more fun to shop during con when there'r only 2 cons in a year ^^|||||
and yes, if they don't have discount or whatever, if the ticket price is way off, I don't think I'm going~ I believe I can hold on till AN ^^b and I don't think one for March is THAT neccessary....coz look at it, CN is in Aug. and then 3 months there's the Nov. one, and the 4 months, the March one, THEN here'z the point---> MAY is AN, I mean most of us are having exams around April or Early May if you are in University.....WE NEED TIME TO MAKE COSTUME FOR ANIME NORTH don't we?? I would't wanna waste the time+money when there's something more important for me to do ^^|||| I think 3 cons in a year is enough, 4 is like.....too much somehow :p

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-07-2003, 01:47 PM
yah, it's like we are waiting for it to grow bigger -> so worth going more
if it is just like a couple hundreds ppl go, it is not going to be as fun, plus it is too close anyways....it's like we have 4 seasons now~ LOL...... yeh, the march one is so funny, it is too close to AN, a lot ppl are gonna saved up for AN or busy making AN costume

Vanity Fading
08-07-2003, 03:35 PM
but if you want to join the masquerade you gotta pay so =\

Sarcasm-hime
08-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Hmmmm. If those are run by the same people who put on the small comic conventions throughout the year....don't get your hopes up. I went to a few of those comicons when I was still in the comics biz, and they were just little one-room affairs. Not much to write home about.

They might have gotten better since, but I don't think they'll be really impressive. Certainly don't expect any programming or events whatsoever.

Ryukka
08-07-2003, 04:54 PM
I haven't seen it yet~ It'd be awsome if there where that many cons this year, but I'd also be broke x__x

Kia
08-07-2003, 05:15 PM
O_o? Why are there 3 different Toronto Comicon's listed? Why do we need 3 in one year?

Fake_Mike
08-07-2003, 06:40 PM
hello, what does MTCC stand for :confused: ??? I'm new to the convetion thing and i have no clue. Oh and r all these cons in the same place O_o? One more thing, how do i get my picture signature to work?
-Fake Mike:confused:

JustinCredible
08-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Fake_Mike
hello, what does MTCC stand for :confused:

Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Comicon events usually happen every couple of months and as Sarcasm-hime has said they weren't to special... but it had an intimate kinda feel back long ago when I used to go.

But lets face it we don't know anything about them right now... maybe the people doing the comicon events aren't even touching the anime stuff... we'll have to wait and see what the price is, what the programing and events are and really do thet stock up as worth going to.

Anyways I'm sure to check out at least one of the couple listed...

lainey
08-07-2003, 08:57 PM
*nods* same here!

I assume the November one will be much smaller than the March one...
but why bother going in March when there is AN in May?

Fake_Mike
08-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Now that i know about the Toronto Anime Convention @ MTCC
Nov.30.2003, cause its just after my B-day. Even if its small i bet it will be ok. And if its goin to continue onto next year people need to support it this year.

Yuna-X2
08-07-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, thats what I was just thinking. I'm going to try go, just cause, it can't grow without people going... so may as well go to see if it's worth it. ^_^

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by lainey
*nods* same here!

I assume the November one will be much smaller than the March one...
but why bother going in March when there is AN in May?

exactly!

Sarcasm-hime
08-08-2003, 03:24 AM
In November I'll be working on my Arwen dress for the Tolkien Gathering (http://tolkiengathering.com)....

The "comicons" that happen regularly throughout the year are, based on my experience, basically just a little dealer's room with some artist tables. That's it.

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-08-2003, 01:21 PM
sarcasm hime, you are always good in making costumes~!! I am not and I probably have to wear my old ones if I were to go ( ; _;)

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-08-2003, 01:22 PM
MY EYE! HOW CAN IT TURN TO A SMILIE FACE!!

Sarcasm-hime
08-08-2003, 05:08 PM
LOL!

Oh please, your costumes are very cute. And I'd probably have to wear old costumes too--I don't have time to make lots of new costumes, so I actually don't have very many compared to a lot of people. ;_;

Fake_Mike
08-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know where i can get a leaf forehead protector in mississauga, toronto, or brampton?

Chosuke
08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
you can get on at Kikiwai.
I sa wone last time I was there.

Fake_Mike
08-08-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Chobrat
you can get on at Kikiwai.
I sa wone last time I was there.
Were is that exactly? cause i never heard of it. :confused:

Chosuke
08-08-2003, 06:58 PM
It's in the DT china town center

lainey
08-08-2003, 09:25 PM
i don't even know what a leaf forehead protector is

appleyukari
08-08-2003, 11:57 PM
that's the thing on naruto people's head~~ :p
Fake_mike, you can go check out the address here: www.kikiwai.com or actually if you like to get it online, get it from e-bay i do seem many of them selling them with a cheap price~

appleyukari
08-09-2003, 12:01 AM
do u guys assume there're people (<--- other than cosplayers) who know about these two 2 cons?? actually for me, if I didn't go on to this forum, for sure I won't be able to hear about it, I never got any thing by mail or watever, and if they don't promote it in CNA, for sure these people won't know about it, I wonder howmany people actually know about theze 2 conz ^^||||

nuriko001
08-09-2003, 12:15 AM
or.. you can make it:) and be proud, and trulely strut your stuff:) plus you'll have 30 bucks

appleyukari
08-09-2003, 01:09 AM
actually like Nuriko said, I suggest make it yourself~ ^^ that's workmanship eh~

JustinCredible
08-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by appleyukari
do u guys assume there're people (<--- other than cosplayers) who know about these two 2 cons?? actually for me, if I didn't go on to this forum, for sure I won't be able to hear about it, I never got any thing by mail or watever, and if they don't promote it in CNA, for sure these people won't know about it, I wonder howmany people actually know about theze 2 conz ^^||||

The ad will probably be in the official program book that is given at the convention. And who knows... maybe a booth will be set up.

Kia
08-09-2003, 05:41 AM
Justin, I'm assuming that you plan on attending those new conventions for the heck of it, right? We might as well check them out, and besides, how are they ever going to get "bigger and better" if no one attends them when they're first starting out? ^_^ If they're tiny at first then I don't mind checking them out, what harm can it do? It's not like I'm *required* to wear a costume, let alone a *new* costume, all they want it me! ^_^

...but wearing a new costume *would* be fun! ^_^

lainey
08-09-2003, 04:57 PM
I agree with Kia. If I am not too busy with university, I'll be attending the small cons, just for the heck of it to check them out!

I'll just rewear my costumes...

I do plan on sewing a Battle royale costume for the small con though O_o

coscrew
08-13-2003, 10:36 AM
november 9th? *scribbles in planner*
i do hope this this is correct.. i sure would like more conventions to go to.. gives me an excuse to make more costumes! =D

JustinCredible
08-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Well the grapevine has spoken and it seems that hobbystar is infact running these new events... and actually have some guests lined up for a couple of them. All the info can be found in the official final program... or here (http://www.hobbystar.com/TO-SFX/program-final.pdf) for those who ain't going or don't plan on getting one. (Check pgs 13, 14, 24)

Sidenote: Hobbystar unrightfully used the term 'toronto comicon' when listing the comic conventions they plan to run... which is usually reserved with Paradise Comics hosted events.

Thanks for your question. Our show is still scheduled for the weekend of
November 7-9, 2003 at the Queen Elizabeth Building.

For some unknown reason, the people at Hobby Star Promotions (who are
putting on this weekend's show) have decided to call their recently
announced October 18th 2003 one-day show "Toronto Comicon" (as well as their
future one-day shows in 2004).

We are not affiliated with Hobby Star in any way.
Thanks,
Kevin Boyd

So thus mystery solved.

Kaijugal
08-20-2003, 02:53 AM
I doubt I'll attend any of these cons. I only have a limited amount of money and time and given the choice I prefer to support fan run cons that have more to offer than just shopping and guests you pay for twice, (i.e. Movies, Hospitality Suite, J-Rock Room, Masquerade, Panels, Games, Contests, Dance, ETC), plus the dealers room and guests. Fan run is for the love of what you do, corporate run is for the money. You may not agree, but that's how I feel about it from experience. I'd rather support people I know are doing it for the love of thier hobby. :bigtu:

Whoever goes please post a report. I'll be interested to see what these shows are like.

Cheers!~!

Kia
08-20-2003, 10:29 AM
I agree about the difference between fan run and corporate run. As we've seen from the differences between CNAX and AN, when it comes to fan reactions, other people notice the differences too.
The thing I'm wondering about right now is the fact that these "Other Cons" are being advertised as being cheap and fun. We'll when it comes to HobbyStar, let's just see what *they* mean my "cheap"...

Maki Yu.Ki.Ame
08-20-2003, 11:35 AM
yah!
fan run cons know exactly what ppl want! Corp. run ones are more "oh~ better save more $$ and get the most profit from it"
I am actually quite disappointed that the japanese guest this yr is EXACTLY the same as last yr! I mean, I know slayers ar big in north america, but since you only ask for one or two japanese guests each yr, shouldn't really ask a guest to come back two yrs, I mean, there will be ppl who ar interested in japanese guests but NOT that same person right? *Maki points to herself* I was hopeing the japanese guest this yr would be some kind of seiyuu *BIGGGG sigh*

JustinCredible
08-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Hobbystars involvement doesn't phase me one bit, fan... corp... doesn't really matter. The only factor in me going or not is finding the money.

I have never been interested in the anime guests, but having recently gotten into Saber Marionette... I get a second chance to meet Tommy Ohtsuka.

Kisa
08-20-2003, 10:24 PM
I agree about the difference between fan run and corporate run. As we've seen from the differences between CNAX and AN, when it comes to fan reactions, other people notice the differences too.
The thing I'm wondering about right now is the fact that these "Other Cons" are being advertised as being cheap and fun. We'll when it comes to HobbyStar, let's just see what *they* mean my "cheap"...

Heh. By "Cheap" they mean "if you sit around and do nothing." or just go to the Dealer's Room to buy things you could get any other day at the store for the same price.
If you want to see guests, half the time it's Extra, or there's an Extra fee. If you want in to some events, it's Extra. (all night anime if you don't have an 'anime' pass...)
If you want to buy things, you have to have the 'delux' pass, and even then there are only 100... *coughMegatokyoT-ShirtsCough*

Kia
08-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I don't know why they bother calling it a "delux" pass.. it's not like there's a "regular" pass that you could have instead...
Anyways... everyone at least *try* and have fun this weekend and I want to hear all the stories when you come back! ^_^

Tiyena
08-25-2003, 05:54 PM
yay! more fun to have :)
all i need now is a sewing machine that works, i'm never going to do what i did last time with my costume. *my sewing machine broke right before i even started to make it, i got the joy of making it by sewing by hand. what fun*