PDA

View Full Version : Need Info about this con.....

SFDevotion
06-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi folks. I visited the official website of Northern Anime Festival but it doesnt show any photos of previous years. How is this convention? How is the attendance? Is it worth even attending and cosplaying?

I don't wanna show up in costume and there's like... no one there, and its a small puny room with nothing to see or do. Anime North and Fan Expo are awesome and there are always crowds of people wanting to take photos and activities to participate in.

Again... is this worth attending?
How is the attendance usually?

Mekou
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Hello! NAF Con Chair/Masq Director here.

Our attendence is usually around 200 people (including staff, dealers, etc). It is puny compared to Anime North and Fan Expo, but people who come seem to enjoy that it's small. It means a better opportunity to make friends and relax. There is a fair turn out, and plenty of cosplayers hanging around.

I have a couple photo albums, but only of the first couple years. http://picasaweb.google.com/mekouchan Lelola.Net also has some photos of previous NAFs http://www.lelola.net/coverage/photos.html.

It really comes down to what will make a con fun for you. If it's only fun when there's tons of people, then NAF probably won't be all that exciting. XD

SFDevotion
06-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Hmmm.... looks interesting.

I am in Toronto, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle to stop by. I'm trying to gather people to go with me. These photos are pretty cool. Are there people who set up photoshoots with photographers before hand? Or is it all spur-the-moment with the photographers? I noticed a couple of people having photoshoot galleries on those links you sent, and it looks like fun! How would we go about doing something like that?

I'm also going to look into some of the events going on. I won't be participating in the masq, but I may watch. :)

And when you say 200 attendees, do you mean people who work at the con (staff, dealers, etc) or EVERYBODY including visitors?

EDIT: Got my answer about the 200 attendees, thanks!

box of doom
06-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Not her, but I can pretty much vouch that the 200 is including EVERYBODY.

It's a small con, and I know a bunch of people that really enjoy it, and a bunch of people who probably wouldn't go back again. Personally, I really do enjoy going there. I've been running panels there since I first started attending, and a few other events as well (we generally have an Ouran Host Club doing a proper hosting session... it's a lot of fun) ^^.

There are, I believe, two panel rooms and viewing rooms this year, plus a workshop room, a gaming area, and a dealer's room/artists alley. Nothing will be overly big, but it's a small con with a small-con atmosphere. So if you really prefer big cons, this might not be for you. But if you want to give a small con a try, it might be worth coming out and attending. ^^

Mekou
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Yes, 200 people includes everbody.

We have expanded a bit this year, because we have moved to a different area of the college where the rooms were cheaper, so that means more programming options! :D

As for photoshoots, in the first couple years I personally organized an outdoor photoshoot/gathering for any and all cosplayers who were around. Was lots of fun. :D

SFDevotion
06-02-2009, 02:32 PM
EDIT: Cool, if I go I'll definately let you know!